Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Tibs

In comparison to Boris, he seems boring and robotic. The public are thick, they'll take a character over substance every day of the week.

Needs to be more human.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
In comparison to Boris, he seems boring and robotic. The public are thick, they'll take a character over substance every day of the week.

Needs to be more human.
In the face of a shambolic pandemic response and 100,000 deaths? What has our country become?... or have we always been like this?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Yet he is still behind Boris Johnson who has presided over 100,000 deaths.

Forensic.
You probably have been asked this before, so apologies if so. But speaking honestly, what would satisfy you at the moment? How much of a poll lead? Or, alternatively, which policy announcements?

Part of me thinks that a lot of this discussion is going to go around in circles until we actually have some elections to test what (at least part of) the public think to give some context to the sides in this discussion.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
My local MP is now a Shadow Minister. Interesting attending the CLP meeting tonight and hearing his (presumably approved) views. I'm typing this verbatim and is just here for information.

For what it is worth, he is talking about producing a 21st century Beveridge Report and how Attlee didn't sell it to the country as 'radical', but as a commonsense mode of thinking. So Labour should avoid the langauge of being 'radical' as it has always turned the country off, but the party needs to sell their ideas as sensible and everyday.

The economy needs to be approached from a question of wealth creation, and Labour must support entrepreneurship and wealth creation - there are people across the socio-economic spectrum who will be able to grow the economy and they need support.

The target is to grow the economy by 2% annually whilst investing in public services and dealing with structural disadvantages and moving millions out of poverty.

Electoral reform is not a priority for the country so Labour won't talk about it in the next election. Starmer is interested in constitutional reform and sovereignty needs to be addressed (this argument Labour didn't engage with well enough in the 2016 referendum). Sovereignty for the Tory Government means centralising power and benefitting the chum-ocracy. Sovereignty for Labour means getting power out of Whitehall to the regions. Labour will be the party that trusts the people, who trusts the regions and trusts local authorities to exercise that sovereignty locally. Constitutional reform does not simply mean electoral reform. It must mean changing peoples lives.

RedChip

My local MP is now a Shadow Minister. Interesting attending the CLP meeting tonight and hearing his (presumably approved) views. I'm typing this verbatim and is just here for information.

For what it is worth, he is talking about producing a 21st century Beveridge Report and how Attlee didn't sell it to the country as 'radical', but as a commonsense mode of thinking. So Labour should avoid the langauge of being 'radical' as it has always turned the country off, but the party needs to sell their ideas as sensible and everyday.

The economy needs to be approached from a question of wealth creation, and Labour must support entrepreneurship and wealth creation - there are people across the socio-economic spectrum who will be able to grow the economy and they need support.

The target is to grow the economy by 2% annually whilst investing in public services and dealing with structural disadvantages and moving millions out of poverty.

Electoral reform is not a priority for the country so Labour won't talk about it in the next election. Starmer is interested in constitutional reform and sovereignty needs to be addressed (this argument Labour didn't engage with well enough in the 2016 referendum). Sovereignty for the Tory Government means centralising power and benefitting the chum-ocracy. Sovereignty for Labour means getting power out of Whitehall to the regions. Labour will be the party that trusts the people, who trusts the regions and trusts local authorities to exercise that sovereignty locally. Constitutional reform does not simply mean electoral reform. It must mean changing peoples lives.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Oh god. Labour obviously have loads of white van driver working class supporters who hang the St George flag out during world cups, but just sounds so horrible- jingoistic and cynical.
Is he going start liberally using the phrase 'world-beating' too?

Among the top recommendations is: “The use of the flag, veterans, dressing smartly at the war memorial etc give voters a sense of authentic values alignment.”

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Out with the communist WiFi in with the Gammon and novelty Union Jacks. Centrist wet dreams.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Oh god. Labour obviously have loads of white van driver working class supporters who hang the St George flag out during world cups, but just sounds so horrible- jingoistic and cynical.
Do they? Or was that ten years ago.

DOTA

They still have a large working class supporters, or at least they did before the last election.
Yeah. I'm sorta one. I don't know if they are white van owning Sun readers though.

Sweet Square

''The right of the labour movement, to be honest, has no ideas of any compelling quality, except the instinct for short-term political survival. It would not know an ideological struggle if it stumbled across one in the dark. The only ‘struggle’ it engages in with any trace of conviction is the one against the left.” - Stuart Hall

DOTA

''The right of the labour movement, to be honest, has no ideas of any compelling quality, except the instinct for short-term political survival. It would not know an ideological struggle if it stumbled across one in the dark. The only ‘struggle’ it engages in with any trace of conviction is the one against the left.” - Stuart Hall
I really like Stuart Hall. His stuff was a rare highlight in an otherwise fecking tedious social science module I did with the OU.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
quiet bat people

Eugenius

It's definitely cynical but so is multi-millionaire libertarian Boris Johnson pretending to suddenly care about levelling up, immigration etc.

Even typical jingoism aside, Corbyn being perceived as pro-IRA (and other dodgy groups), reluctant to observe Rememberance day etc was a turn off to the wider electorate not just the white van man.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I don't even care any more but how exactly is the Royal Family a beacon of hope to millions? I'm sure they are but what have they done to deserve that status?

Sweet Square

I really like Stuart Hall. His stuff was a rare highlight in an otherwise fecking tedious social science module I did with the OU.
I remember him saying in a interview if Cultural Studies isn't changing the world then it's pointless, which I think that alone put him above most people in the social sciences. His stuff on English nationalism and the labour right is just brilliant. Completely nails that type of shite politics.

This pretty great as well

Millions? Just how big does he think Epstein's black book is?
:lol:

NinjaFletch

I don't even care any more but how exactly is the Royal Family a beacon of hope to millions? I'm sure they are but what have they done to deserve that status?
Hey, that's not fair. They're an inspiration to me and many Brits around the world who prove that with the power of a good attitude, a stiff upper lip and some good old fashioned hard work we'll never be as successful as a bunch of inbred chinless wonders who, by the sheer accident of their birth, have been lavished with adulation, praise, and immense privilege.

It truly brings a patriotic tear to your eye.

MoskvaRed

It’s cringeworthy but I do see the logic on Starmer’s part. He is trying to neutralise what has been a repeated line of attack by our trashy right wing media on Labour leaders from Foot through to Millliband and Corbyn. Since he can’t change the media, he has to play within the existing rules of the game. A bit of flag waving and God Save the Queen is worth it if it helps get rid of our Britannia Unchained cabinet.