Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Fluctuation0161

Starmer now seems to be encouraging trade union membership on his social media too. Maybe he has realised Labour are running out of money because he hasn't attracted the big money donors, he needs to ignore the trade unions yet. Either that or he has noticed his polling has dipped so it is a chameleon like effort to move back from Daily Mail articles etc....

Rachel Reeves: Labour would oversee radical insourcing of public services
Starmer ally will reveal plan to take back control as she accuses Tories of handing Covid contracts to ‘cronies
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ur-oversee-radical-insourcing-public-services

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Fluctuation0161

Maybe he should just say 'feck business', it worked for Johnson.
You were moaning he was pro unions above.
Actually if you re-read that post you'll see I was not criticising him for encouraging union membership. I just question his cynical motives for doing so.

Tibs

He's not a leader.

Boot him out - I wanted Emily Thornberry to win

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's crap. He's the result of a leadership contest that never happened after our Becky's attempt at 'Corbyn but flagshagger' failed as quickly as launched and Jess Phillips realised she has no views.

I would imagine he'll cling on until a general election but if the local elections are dire then it could be a very short lived spell.

Fluctuation0161

Hmm, that just means even if he does something you agree with you'll question his motives, which is basically the same end result.
Let's be specific, the point was about unions.

Starmer has not backed the unions throughout his tenure, until it became politically beneficial because his ratings/support had dropped, so he is grasping.

He went against the education unions stance to only return to school when safe, I recall Starmer opposed that and the consensus of working teachers when he said "no ifs, no buts, no equivocation". Remember?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...hnson-schools-fiasco-starmer-labour-education

So far the only MPs he "removes" are extremely pro union, RLB and Corbyn as prime examples. To the point where unions like Unite are threatening to reduce financial support to him.

It is very obvious what Starmer is doing and it is the opposite of his leadership pledges. If you don't see that, you are not paying attention.

Last edited:

Camilo

A crap joke of a party, and a crap invisible "leader". Is it really that difficult to be the tory opposition? Labour are letting down the country far more than Boris and co.

hubbuh

A crap joke of a party, and a crap invisible "leader". Is it really that difficult to be the tory opposition? Labour are letting down the country far more than Boris and co.
No fecking chance :lol: Starmer not effectively holding Boris to account isn't worse than Boris causing the utter mess in the first place. Boris and his cronies are genuinely corrupt, giving massive contracts out to their mates. As shit as Starmer has been, his job is made doubly harder by an MSM that consistently let the Tories get off scot-free. The country is fecked.

Smores

He's let the Tories off the hook to the point they'll come out of this really positively in most people's eyes. The best Starmer can say is 'i was there too'.

Fluctuation0161

No fecking chance :lol: Starmer not effectively holding Boris to account isn't worse than Boris causing the utter mess in the first place. Boris and his cronies are genuinely corrupt, giving massive contracts out to their mates. As shit as Starmer has been, his job is made doubly harder by an MSM that consistently let the Tories get off scot-free. The country is fecked.
I tend to agree with this.

Dobba

It's his big speech day today, where we finally get the much anticipated sequel to those 10 Pledges.

The rumours are he plans to pretend he believes in these for even longer than 6 months. Some claim as long as 7 or 8.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Covid hit UK hard because of years of Conservative rule, Keir Starmer to say

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ears-of-conservative-rule-keir-starmer-to-say

I hope he goes all in. Obviously the Tories will respond with their generic "playing politics" angle, or how it's unseemly to say such things when so many people have been affected by Covid, but that didn't stop them from repeating "the mess we inherited from the last Labour government" for ten years.

But this is make or break, really. He's kept quiet so often that this will be the big test. If he can be a better orator than Corbyn, wrestle with the media and grab the public's attention then he has a chance to actually gain people's attention. If he doesn't then I guess we can expect the Tories to win again at the next election?

Smores

His announcement has barely cut through it seems. Not enough to create any major headlines anyway.

That's the problem with staying quiet until the government are actually on a bit of a victory lap.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
His announcement has barely cut through it seems. Not enough to create any major headlines anyway.

That's the problem with staying quiet until the government are actually on a bit of a victory lap.
It's really annoying considering they're doing their victory lap after blowing all their limps off due to juggling dynamite, in a stadium that's simultaneously burning to the ground and flooding with piss water, in a city that's floating towards the cliff edge of our flat earth.

NinjaFletch

Indeed, but also a problem Labour face more generally. Unfortunately, the centrists great optimism that it was entirely Corbyn's fault because he scored more own goals than Richard Dunne was misplaced, so they're going to have to come up with some ideas themselves now on how to deal with a media landscape stacked against them.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The logical answer would be to move right. Opposing the wealth tax, and highlighting it came from a tory mp, could be a start.

If that isn't enough, I believe RLB is still a party backbencher, time to remove her from the party, to demonstrate convincingly the firm hand needed to sort out anti-semitism. That could be nicely paired with reminding the public of the party's principled and tough anti-teachers-union stance on school reopening.

Smores

It's really annoying considering they're doing their victory lap after blowing all their limps off due to juggling dynamite, in a stadium that's simultaneously burning to the ground and flooding with piss water, in a city that's floating towards the cliff edge of our flat earth.
You think that's bad wait until the next election cycle where not only will they have saved everyone's nan but they'll have rebuilt the entire economy back above covid levels.

If Labour don't change that image then they'll have to come up with a better offering, one that presumably isn't high spend or radical.

RedChip

Seems he is sticking with the flag waving act, but the idea of a national bond is interesting.

The logical answer would be to move right. Opposing the wealth tax, and highlighting it came from a tory mp, could be a start.

If that isn't enough, I believe RLB is still a party backbencher, time to remove her from the party, to demonstrate convincingly the firm hand needed to sort out anti-semitism. That could be nicely paired with reminding the public of the party's principled and tough anti-teachers-union stance on school reopening.
So the obvious answer would be to do something that is utterly against the core values of his party? Wtf.

Fluctuation0161

Indeed, but also a problem Labour face more generally. Unfortunately, the centrists great optimism that it was entirely Corbyn's fault because he scored more own goals than Richard Dunne was misplaced, so they're going to have to come up with some ideas themselves now on how to deal with a media landscape stacked against them.
True. The media landscape being stacked against them is something they share with Corbyn.

If only those Labour centrists had worked with Corbyn in 2017 instead of against him. Marginal changes could've had a big impact in that GE.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Despite being a Labour voter all my life, with the only exception being the election after Blair took us to war with Iraq. In my mind, they have become irrelevant as a political party since appointing Starmer as its leader.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Let's see what he does with the High Court ruling just in that the government acted unlawfully in awarding contracts during the pandemic.

My prediction - feck all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sadly true. I can't see it changing either.
Unfortunately that is true. Nothing wrong with what he said yesterday, but it will simply not resonate with the public.
Why. Because as you rightly say, zero charisma.
Technically, he leaves Boris standing.
But the fact is that he himself is not going to change public opinion.
But he has others in his party who can and will given the opportunity.
He needs to promote the broader party instead of just himself.

EDIT. in particular Angela Rayner and Lisa Nandy.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Unfortunately that is true. Nothing wrong with what he said yesterday, but it will simply not resonate with the public.
Why. Because as you rightly say, zero charisma.
Technically, he leaves Boris standing.
But the fact is that he himself is not going to change public opinion.
But he has others in his party who can and will given the opportunity.
He needs to promote the broader party instead of just himself.

EDIT. in particular Angela Rayner and Lisa Nandy.
I agree, and with both the names you mention too.