Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Sweet Square

Looks like Labour needs to come up with policies that appeal to older people doesn't it? Any ideas?
Sadly not. The closest it got was the 2017 but 1)Starmer isn't going to run that type of campaign and 2)It's already out of date in terms of whats needed.

I don't really see how the party can at the same time appeal to older people(Homer owners)and young people(Renters). The party is basically fecked but with Starmer it's losing it's core base support.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Sadly not. The closest it got was the 2017 but 1)Starmer isn't going to run that type of campaign and 2)It's already out of date in terms of whats needed.

I don't really see how the party can at the same time appeal to older people(Homer owners)and young people(Renters). The party is basically fecked but with Starmer it's losing it's core base support.
I would say Wilson and Blair got closer but I go back a bit.

Sweet Square

True, I just was talking in terms of the current conditions(Or really since the 08 crash), which means the voter coalitions of say the late 90's aren't here anymore so the demands from voters are different imo.

Nostradamus.
This is a fun read

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I go back a lot.
Harold Wilson was a very clever guy who it is said was able to do the Times crossword in his head while on the train from Liverpool to London.
It was a classic Left v Right fight between him and Ted Heath. And Wilson came out on top.

Sweet Square

One might expect that the leader of the opposition would have more to do than involve himself in a local council dispute over park gates. But to the shock of some locals, Sir Keir Starmer, MP for Holborn and St Pancras, has personally pushed for the erection of nine-foot tall aluminium barriers across Primrose Hill in north London.

Effectively, this means locking off London’s only permanently open royal park from the public on weekend evenings and maintaining its exclusivity for wealthy residents.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
True, I just was talking in terms of the current conditions(Or really since the 08 crash), which means the voter coalitions of say the late 90's aren't here anymore so the demands from voters are different imo.

This is a fun read

So basically either the entire press is backing a one party state and are delighted he's sabotaging the opposition, or they're all just deluded, self important twats who are thick as two short planks. Or perhaps a mixture of the two I suppose.

Eugenius

2017 is not a good barometer. It was May austerity vs Corbyn anti austerity. With May even managing to piss off pensioners on social care.

The Tories have moved to the left on spending, so basically it's a question of competence and other culture-war type stuff that is really the diff be the two platforms now.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Where are they are going to store all these 9ft aluminium fences in the day? They'd need hundreds to fence off the park, can't see this ever happening.
Also closing it at night really doesn't equate to neighbouring flats annexing it.

The story has a few holes in it.

Foxbatt

How on earth did he become leader of the opposition? When asked today if he agrees with Cummings if Bojo is unfit to be the PM, he didn't say yes. He said the PM got a lot of decisions wrong.

Sweet Square

How on earth did he become leader of the opposition? When asked today if he agrees with Cummings if Bojo is unfit to be the PM, he didn't say yes. He said the PM got a lot of decisions wrong.
He basically lied throughout his leadership campaign.

Foxbatt

He basically lied throughout his leadership campaign.
I have a feeling that he is no way a Labour member who supports the value and ideas of the Labour party. He must be a Tory who has been sent to destroy the Labour party. Even Corbyn would have said Cummings is right that Boris Johnson is not fit to be PM.

Sweet Square

I have a feeling that he is no way a Labour member who supports the value and ideas of the Labour party. He must be a Tory who has been sent to destroy the Labour party. Even Corbyn would have said Cummings is right that Boris Johnson is not fit to be PM.
Mi5 spy(Only half joking here). But yeah agree with you, it really doesn't make sense as at this point we aren't even talking about policy or even politics really but more about Starmer almost deliberately falling to do the very basic of an opposition. I think there's a lot of truth in the argument that the criticisms of Corbyn by more liberal people over the last 5 years was really just self projection.

Overall it's just a very bizarre leadership so far.

Foxbatt

What is the point of an opposition if the Leader of the Opposition doesn't think the PM is unfit to be The PM?

Foxbatt

He's in it to a) protect the status quo at all costs and b) the lucrative jobs that seemingly open up the second you leave politics. He's an absolute con man.
At least Corbyn was honest. I think if Corbyn has conned his way by saying nice things about the right wing of the party, he would have won.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He's shit, and out of his depth.
Also true of the person currently holding the office of Prime Minister, but all he has to do is not comb his hair, wear clothes that don’t fit and clumsily rugby tackle children and everyone in the UK goes “that’s the guy!!!”