Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Hilarious. Yes, nasty Corbyn causing BREXIT.

The referendum, Cameron.
The Tory part split down the middle one half driving for Brexit the other pro EU (now purged)
The shoddy deal by Boris. "Oven ready" apparently, some idiots believed him. Some still do, maybe?

How many lies can you regurgitate from right wing media until you realise you are completely incorrect?
I totally agree with you on Cameron and Johnson, 100%, so trying to paint me with some Tory brush is a lie in itself I'm afraid.

The difference is that I blame Corbyn too. I'm actually surprised you haven't studied Labour history, Tony Benn, Barbara Castle, Peter Shore, Michael Foot, the whole left wing of the party, they were all anti-EU. I disagreed with them in 1975 and voted Yes to staying in Europe, but I respect their views, at least they were honest about them.

Last edited:

Raven

I totally agree with you on Cameron and Johnson, 100%, so trying to paint me with some Tory brush is a lie in itself I'm afraid.

The difference is that I blame Corbyn too. I'm actually surprised you haven't studied Labour history, Tony Benn, Barbara Castle, Peter Shore, Michael Foot, the whole left wing of the party, they were all anti-EU. I disagreed with them in 1975 and voted Yes to staying in Europe, but I respect their views, at least they were honest about them.
Him being a eurosceptic doesn't make Brexit his fault.

Maticmaker

Hilarious. Yes, nasty Corbyn causing BREXIT.
No, it was the 52% of those who voted in the referendum, who caused Brexit.

However historically the longstanding position on the left of the Labour party was to oppose the EU (as @711 states in a previous post) and as an old style 'lefty' Corbyn was sticking to that view; but as leader of a Party where a sizable chunk supported remain, he found himself in the proverbial position of being "between a rock and a hard place".

However Jeremy should have felt at home, because he had spent virtually his whole political career in taking up such positions.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

However historically the longstanding position on the left of the Labour party was to oppose the EU (as @711 states in a previous post) and as an old style 'lefty' Corbyn was sticking to that view; but as leader of a Party where a sizable chunk supported remain, he found himself in the proverbial position of being "between a rock and a hard place".

However Jeremy should have felt at home, because he had spent virtually his whole political career in taking up such positions.
Look corbyn could certainly have done more to push the benefits of being in the eu... I mean being 8/10 in favour of the eu would have been a start.... even thinking its was 75% good!

That said as he proved he's a terrible communicator, massively unpopular within the general electorate and useless at national election style campaigns

So it probably wouldn't have helped much anyway

At least they didn't trigger article 50 immediately like he was pushing for...

Maticmaker

Look corbyn could certainly have done more to push the benefits of being in the eu...
Not really, Jeremy never truly believed in the concept (or the so called benefits) of the EU as a political Union, he had been against it since 'Adam was a lad'. He was an old fashioned lefty, there were no benefits , at least not what he would call real benefits, that he felt could not have been be accomplished by a strong Labour Government in the UK Parliament unshackled by Brussels. This was at the heart of his dilemma.

Yes there were some advantages in the EU operations in political terms, e.g. of worker protections, TU laws etc. however nothing that could not have been 'bettered' (in Jeremy's eyes) in the UK with...say an 80+ seat Labour majority in Parliament!

It just never happened. The closest he got was being elected leader of the Labour party and that only occurred through the efforts of momentum and some 'di** head' decisions by liberal leaning Labour PMs who wanted to prove their liberal values by making it possible for Jeremy to 'at least have a shot at the leadership'. Then when he did win, they couldn't wait to leave!

Just like a number of times in his long political career in the Labour party, with Brexit,Jeremy found himself in the wrong place, at the wrong time, facing the wrong way and desperately hoping people would not notice... but when you are leader, you are 'front and centre' and everybody, friend and foe a like can see your dilemma.

Actually you have to feel sorry for the guy!

FireballXL5

So your choice at the next election will be between the Tories or the Tories. Brilliant stuff.

nickm

"Party leader who's not good at connecting with public, hires expert at connecting with public" isn't the slam dunk you think it is.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Starmer urges Labour to embrace Blair’s legacy as he vows to win the next election

He said it was vital to demonstrate that Labour was not a party of protest but was serious about winning power — and that meant being “very proud” of what it achieved under Blair and his successor as prime minister Gordon Brown when it was last in office.
https://www.ft.com/content/34ec43b9-5dcd-46cd-b284-093e8f13714d

Fluctuation0161

Your first paragraph is correct. The rest is inaccurate waffle.

Fluctuation0161

Ken Loach now expelled from the Labour party.

What a sorry state of affairs Keir has caused. He is the very definition of unelectable, even by his own members now, if there was a new leadership election, at this rate.

Kaos

Ken Loach now expelled from the Labour party.

What a sorry state of affairs Keir has caused. He is the very definition of unelectable, even by his own members now, if there was a new leadership election, at this rate.
Yep, the Labour party are well and truly dead to me.

Foxbatt

I would rather have Moyes as the Leader of the Labour Party than this idiot.

Raven

No experience has shown me if you are traditional labour you can only be on team Jezbollah*/ Magic Grandpa* / Antisemite Israel* (pick appropriate name) or your a red tory
That's if you're a Labour supporter, not a fecking greens supporter. You're being exceedingly disingenuous here (although, what's new?), if you are a neoliberal gobshite and still a member of the labour party, you're a red Tory.

Balljy

That's if you're a Labour supporter, not a fecking greens supporter. You're being exceedingly disingenuous here (although, what's new?), if you are a neoliberal gobshite and still a member of the labour party, you're a red Tory.
The Greens are what Labour should have been for the last 30 years. Wanting to change voting to a PR like system, prioritising diversity, more money for public services, removing Lords with an elected chamber, human rights, tacking racism, allowing local authorities to secure referendums and obviously green policies.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
:lol: truth

Sweet Square

Boris Johnson's visits to the city in recent years have seen him mobbed and cheered in the streets. Even former Chancellor George Osborne – hardly the most likeable of characters – was called on to pose for a few selfies when he last turned up at the Star's Queen Street offices. In contrast, Sir Keir's appearance was greeted with complete disinterest.There was nary a murmur in his direction from any member of the public he wandered past. No requests for selfies were made and no one called his name out. To illustrate the point, a woman approached the entourage with her phone raised, then immediately lowered it when she saw what was in front of her, disappointment etched across her face.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...-blank-looks-greet-sir-keirs-city-appearance/

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
There are some difficult personalities in the Labour party.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well done Keir & co. Kicking out a Jewish Labour member who has been a member for over 50 years.

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.or...sponse-to-his-threatened-automatic-exclusion/
So he signed a letter that says

He supports, Ken Livingstone an Chris Williamson
There should be no independent panel reviewing antisemitism claims
MPs should not be expelled for providing a platform for suspended anti-Semites
The IHRA definition of Anti Semitism should not be used when considering disciplinary action in the labour party
And the small number of Anti Semitism allegations was just a smear against Jeremy Corbyn

Yeah good riddance to be honest if he wants to put his name to that

Fluctuation0161

So he signed a letter that says

He supports, Ken Livingstone an Chris Williamson
There should be no independent panel reviewing antisemitism claims
MPs should not be expelled for providing a platform for suspended anti-Semites
The IHRA definition of Anti Semitism should not be used when considering disciplinary action in the labour party
And the small number of Anti Semitism allegations was just a smear against Jeremy Corbyn

Yeah good riddance to be honest if he wants to put his name to that
So you only want the "right kind of Jew" in the party?

Sounds familiar.