Keir Starmer Labour Leader

F-Red

Voter fraud is pretty much non-existent in the UK. The reality is that the new 'free' voter ID is difficult to get, Councils have not been given the resources to issue them effectively, meaning millions are effectively disenfranchised. It is blatant voter suppression which impacts Labour voters the most.

Many people still do not know voter ID is now mandatory. This law goes much further than anything tried by the Republican Party in the USA.
That's not completely true, only in person voting requires ID. You can apply for a postal vote or drop it off at the polling station by hand without showing ID.

Bert_

That's not completely true, only in person voting requires ID. You can apply for a postal vote or drop it off at the polling station by hand without showing ID.
How many people know this though? Next election thousands of people will turn up at polling stations across the country and be turned away because they don't have ID on them.

We don't know yet how many of those turned away will return with ID (if they actually have one that's accepted).

Denying potentially millions of voters access to vote is worth it to make sure that the likes of the four people convicted of electoral fraud last general election can't bring the result into disrepute though.

F-Red

How many people know this though? Next election thousands of people will turn up at polling stations across the country and be turned away because they don't have ID on them.
I've received two lots of post through my door in the past week on the next council elections in May, both checking who is on the electoral roll and on the ID required to vote in person. It also gave a separate element on the same document on what you can do if you don't want or haven't got ID in terms of a postal vote or dropping the vote off at a local polling station.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I've received two lots of post through my door in the past week on the next council elections in May, both checking who is on the electoral roll and on the ID required to vote in person. It also gave a separate element on the same document on what you can do if you don't want or haven't got ID in terms of a postal vote or dropping the vote off at a local polling station.
But it has been left up to councils and many are unprepared. I received an email which went to my spam folder. Nothing in the post. And councils themselves have complained this is being introduced too quickly and should not be implemented for May.

I've said it before but I have no issues with voter ID being introduced. I have major issues with how this is being done and the reasons for it.

Not that there is anything that can be done before the next GE. The last legal challenge ended with a court saying there is no constitutional or fundamental right to vote in the UK, and Parliament can do what they want.

Bert_

I had the electoral roll confirmation form (same one as always) last year but nothing about voter ID. Unless I missed it! If I did then I imagine I won't be the only one.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Is this news or was this from a while back?

On immigration:

And Biden is about to re-instate Trump laws like family detention. When Trump did it, airports were shut, thousands came out on the streets, taxis closed in solidarity, AOC cried at the chains, etc. Now nobody is making a sound. A good guide to what will happen when Starmer is in charge.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
On immigration:
Ah, at least we're all now in agreement that handfuls of desperate people in dinghies are the real problem with the country, then.

Useless fecking cnuts.

stepic

the worst labour party we've had for decades and it'll win because the tories have fecked things so badly.

depressing

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
The only hope I have is that Labour are not directly opposing it so the Tories can't start their "culture war" shtick which is all they have left.

If they would genuinely keep this policy in government then feck me :eek:

TheGame

But it has been left up to councils and many are unprepared. I received an email which went to my spam folder. Nothing in the post. And councils themselves have complained this is being introduced too quickly and should not be implemented for May.

I've said it before but I have no issues with voter ID being introduced. I have major issues with how this is being done and the reasons for it.

Not that there is anything that can be done before the next GE. The last legal challenge ended with a court saying there is no constitutional or fundamental right to vote in the UK, and Parliament can do what they want.
Having managed elections before, voter ID is clearly being implemented to reduce Labour votes. There are already safeguards in place and voter ID fraud is miniscule. The Tories know what they are doing with this and all the pressure is on local authorities who have had their funding cut by (quelle surprise) the Government.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Used to call Corbyn the Wet Lettuce because so was so weak, wet and dithery and would have been more at home at a village council meeting.

Starmer seems to have taken uselessness, weakness, and basically hopelessness to a whole new level. I christen thee Saturated Turnip. And his collaborators don't seem much better.

What a prospect for the UK until the end of this decade - the current evil Tories or this pathetic excuse. Maybe the 2030s will be better.

FireballXL5

How depressing is it that, rather than calling Tory policies illegal and immoral, Labour merely call them 'unworkable'?

Zlatattack

the worst labour party we've had for decades and it'll win because the tories have fecked things so badly.

depressing
I won't be voting for it. I'm going to vote for the Greens and if that makes me a tory enabler so be it. As far as im concerned right now voting for Labour is like voting for the Tories anyway.

It's the only hope we have of getting our labour party back.

TheGame

How depressing is it that, rather than calling Tory policies illegal and immoral, Labour merely call them 'unworkable'?
Because Labour are too busy appealing to the Brexiteer base hence their position on Brexit. No one seems to have any guts to call out the decisions in fear of being called weak on immigration. It's a cycle of self destruction for the country being held hostage to these idiots.

stepic

I won't be voting for it. I'm going to vote for the Greens and if that makes me a tory enabler so be it. As far as im concerned right now voting for Labour is like voting for the Tories anyway.

It's the only hope we have of getting our labour party back.
agree 100%. i won't be voting for them either.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's from someone called Dr Dunce, should have been obvious :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bert_

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2588/note/made

Wtf. Is this standard practice? Amending laws for specific individuals?

Also, Kier is an idiot for not getting out in front of this. How did he think it would be a good idea to attack the pension limit removal when he had the government pass legislation to remove it for him personally. Of course it would come out.
Haven't done more than 10 mins searching but Labour's line is that this was common practice for retiring DPPs, so they all had bespoke regulations passed for them.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2588/contents/made

BBC is stating it is not clear if KS has saved enough to benefit from the measure.

There are a number of things here, not least this is being reported in the Telegraph on the same day that Sunak announces he has income of 58 billion trillion pounds. No coincidence.

Remember when Corbyn and Cameron released their tax returns? Corbyn has his salary and not a lot else, Cameron was worth more than many countries, and the story was the £80 fine (or so) Corbyn got for filing the return late.

If Starmer were a Tory MP this would not be an issue. Still, it does seem time and again the Labour Leader is always responding to negative stories and never out ahead of them.

Bert_

Haven't done more than 10 mins searching but Labour's line is that this was common practice for retiring DPPs, so they all had bespoke regulations passed for them.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2588/contents/made

BBC is stating it is not clear if KS has saved enough to benefit from the measure.

There are a number of things here, not least this is being reported in the Telegraph on the same day that Sunak announces he has income of 58 billion trillion pounds. No coincidence.

Remember when Corbyn and Cameron released their tax returns? Corbyn has his salary and not a lot else, Cameron was worth more than many countries, and the story was the £80 fine (or so) Corbyn got for filing the return late.

If Starmer were a Tory MP this would not be an issue. Still, it does seem time and again the Labour Leader is always responding to negative stories and never out ahead of them.
It is crazy how much more the Tories get away with. Hypocrisy and corruption seems to be an expectation rather than an exception with those lot.

Starmer is releasing his tax returns later so guessing that will show he hasn't benefited from it.

I still think it's pretty insane this country can change laws for named individuals. No chance of that being ever being abused!

Sweet Square

Quoting, agreeing with Thatcher and sounding like a Chris Morris parody all at the same time.

Last edited:

Shinjch

As if the country wasn't depressing enough, this guy is the "alternative". What a broken system.