Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I've protest voted against Labour before for some of the reasons you've listed in reasons why New Labour sucked. At least at the time it seemed like they sucked.

We've had 14 years of the Tories, I read somewhere that in that time excess deaths of disabled people are almost 60k, if you want 5 more years of that to try and get a more radical labour when the last radical labour leader was a complete failure.. I don't know what to say to you
But Labour's leading politicians are already telling us not to expect anything to improve in their first term in office. So we're going to get 5 more years of that anyway no matter who we vote for in the next election

neverdie

It would be amazing to see the Lib Dems as the official opposition and seeing the Tories crying impotently in a corner while inquiry after inquiry unravels all of their corruption.
It would, but that wouldn't happen even if they were at 5%. They gave a few scapegoats, that Baroness, and someone else, and then draw the bridge up. Labour might use the rhetoric of the popular voice when it comes to politicking but it has no real appetite to go forward with a systematic investigation into Tory corruption (there are too many ties and you-toos involved).

I'd settle for a functional political party that can enact generational change as a matter of necessity, not want. That's what Labour isn't speaking to loudly enough.

Dobba

I've protest voted against Labour before for some of the reasons you've listed in reasons why New Labour sucked. At least at the time it seemed like they sucked.

We've had 14 years of the Tories, I read somewhere that in that time excess deaths of disabled people are almost 60k, if you want 5 more years of that to try and get a more radical labour when the last radical labour leader was a complete failure.. I don't know what to say to you
A joke on a bit of paper lead to justification for a decade and a half of austerity. What do you think a so called 'left-leaning' Chancellor, who thinks people in receipt of benefits don't even deserve the impression of political representation, is going to do for the political consensus of the next 15 years?

Fluctuation0161

Starmer's strategy hasn't been poor, it's just not one you like or agree with. But you can't say it is poor when it is working. Could he have taken more risks? Probably yes, I wish he had, but I can see why he hasn't - it's an understandable strategy, not a poor one, and he is heavily constrained by economic realities.

All any opposition can do is prepare for when a government eventually loses its popularity - and they all eventually do. He's done that.

I'll be voting Labour at the next election.

But I think Labour is in for a very rough ride in government and they will need their defenders, which not many of you on this thread will be, and that is a shame given the alternatives.
As I said, his strategy has been poor, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

The reason Labour are ahead are because of the absolute nuclear scale incompetence and implosion by the Tory party.

neverdie

Mr Streeting is a massive cnut

He allegedly burned down a pet shop. That is not a joke. There was this ardent Corbyn supported on Twitter which used to harass him over it and he sought legal advice and a gag order. It was, again, allegedly, part of some societal college ritual for acceptance.

Sweet Square

He allegedly burned down a pet shop. That is not a joke. There was this ardent Corbyn supported on Twitter which used to harass him over it and he sought legal advice and a gag order. It was, again, allegedly, part of some societal college ritual for acceptance.
:lol:

I had no idea about this.

Well the trans community is the sole reason why the country is in such a state, so misgendering them is fair game I suppose.
They couldn’t even last a few weeks

The leadership and the PLP is really full of the worst reactionaries in the country.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
They couldn’t even last a few weeks

The leadership and the PLP is really full of the worst reactionaries in the country.
Honestly if they introduced PR for elections it would be worth it, as that would change politics for the better. But they won't for whatever reason. So here we are.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It's hilarious what lies people will tell to absolve themselves of any blame isn't it. It's the people who voted for Labour in 2017 and 2019 (and forever) that are to blame for this Tory shitshow of the last 14 years and not those that voted elsewhere and in many cases actively for it. Amazing.

Yeah I probably will hold my nose and vote for Labour in this election after all is said and done because even though this form of democracy stinks I guess I'm just a bigger person than those who couldn't vote Labour because the full might of the uk establishment said Corbyn was an anti-Semite, or a threat to our national security or whatever other bullshit reason they trotted out that day. You're welcome.
Agreed - lot of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics. If you think this is bad, you should read some of @nickm 's takes on the Palestine thread.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Just in the point in my previous posts about why would they do that to justify murder of another group of people but I'm not going to further derail this thread.
I don't think that's any justification though (but agree no point in further derailing).

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Well the trans community is the sole reason why the country is in such a state, so misgendering them is fair game I suppose.
Some of the posters in the Transgender Rights thread definitely believe this.

nickm

Good to see defending Labour regardless, because of the alternatives, lasted long Nick.

I'm sure you'll find some cnuts who hate themselves enough to defend the Israel has the right to starve Gaza guy if you look hard enough.
Gaza and Israel will not be the major factor at the election, as I am sure you will agree.

The difference re: defending Labour, is about supporting an elected government that is trying to clean up a terrible mess, and will have a rough ride doing so, vs supporting a rabble who had no chance of being elected and who refused to do anything about it when they were told why. In doing so, they helped enable the situation we are in now. Thanks!

Last edited:

nickm

I think Corbyn was perfectly electable, if not for people like you.
I think there's been enough actual research done on Corbyn's electoral appeal done by experts (let alone his failure in 2 general elections) to prove you wrong. ie let it go.

Maticmaker

The difference re: defending Labour, is about supporting an elected government that is trying to clean up a terrible mess,
This is it in a 'nutshell'.
The last 14 years of Tory rule have been added to by things like Covid, the war in Ukraine. Besides the (by now expected) natural mess left by Tories after they have stripped out all the low hanging fruit. The two massive events above and the crazy net zero approach taken, have put the country in hock for years, and if it took 14 years to get here, its going to take 15 years (at least) to get back some semblance of 'a future' for most of the populace.

Labours first term will be clearing the rubble and they are being honest about it. For me the biggest success in their first term would be to get rid of that 'working poor' theme, that is an insult to everyone who wants to work, wants to contribute. Finding new jobs would be a bonus, making sure those who are working are getting a fairs days pay is essential.

Halftrack

I think there's been enough actual research done on Corbyn's electoral appeal done by experts (let alone his failure in 2 general elections) to prove you wrong. ie let it go.
Yes, it was all Corbyn and his appeal, not the smear campaign, being actively sabotaged by his own party and voters like you, who had no interest in holding your nose and just voting to prevent further Tory calamity. It's actually the fault of the people who voted for him. What idiots for participating in the democratic process.

Meanwhile, this dude who breaks promises and reverses positions more often than most change their bedsheets is trustworthy and is going to do a very good job at cleaning up this mess, a mess him and his surrogates have gone on record to say that they like very much and will in fact not be cleaning up. Also doesn't give a toss about racism in his own party. But I suppose that kind of thing only matter when the leader gets a bit to lefty.

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

Kaos

Labour may fail to grab target seats as young voters turn away over Gaza and climate

Party figures say decision to tack to right on issues such as immigration could also diminish predicted landslide

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-young-voters-turn-away-over-gaza-and-climate
Party at risk of losing out on seats by abandoning issues that resonate with core base. Funny that.

In all seriousness, I don't think it would diminish their chances of securing a landslide at the GE, but their pandering to the right is a very shortsighted strategy that could end up costing them in the long term. All it takes is an electoral cycle of the Tories getting their shit back together and conjuring a semblance of competence, and the temporary voters he would have gained will have returned to the Tories, all the while his base will have long abandoned him since then.

Fully Fledged

If you are anti-Tory and don't vote for labour in a target seat or whichever party is the most viable alternative in a more ropey one then you deserve to be insulted.
Same as you did if you didn't vote for the candidate that could have beaten the Tories in the last election. People who empowered the last 5 years of decline by not voting for the credible Anti-Tory candidate in the last election are responsible for the position the country is in.

nickm

As I said, his strategy has been poor, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

The reason Labour are ahead are because of the absolute nuclear scale incompetence and implosion by the Tory party.
Govts lose elections, oppositions don't win them, as the saying goes. We will have to agree to disagree - IMO the reason labour are so far ahead is because of the nuclear scale incompetence. But Labour made themselves middle-ground credible (where elections are won), that is not a function of the Tory's idiocy.

Last edited:

nickm

Yes, it was all Corbyn and his appeal, not the smear campaign, being actively sabotaged by his own party and voters like you, who had no interest in holding your nose and just voting to prevent further Tory calamity. It's actually the fault of the people who voted for him. What idiots for participating in the democratic process.
If there's one thing you can be sure of from Corbyn apologists, it is the bitter disregard of all the polling evidence which demonstrated how disliked he was by the people whose votes labour needed to win. It's a cult.

Raven

If there's one thing you can be sure of from Corbyn apologists, it is the bitter disregard of all the polling evidence which demonstrated how disliked he was by the people whose votes labour needed to win. It's a cult.
Nobody is arguing that he was liked though? People are arguing about why he was disliked. I thought that was incredibly obvious?

Flying high

Nobody is arguing that he was liked though? People are arguing about why he was disliked. I thought that was incredibly obvious?
Some people are still clinging to the notion that anyone who supported Corbyn did so because they thought he was amazing. He wasn't. But he was credible in his belief in what he said. Personally though, I'd have been delighted if, in 2019 when it was clear he wouldn't win, he'd have handed over to someone better suited to seeing through an actual leftist agenda.

Raven

Some people are still clinging to the notion that anyone who supported Corbyn did so because they thought he was amazing. He wasn't. But he was credible in his belief in what he said. Personally though, I'd have been delighted if, in 2019 when it was clear he wouldn't win, he'd have handed over to someone better suited to seeing through an actual leftist agenda.
He was great in a lot of ways but he had flaws. I was more taken by his policies than the man himself, the policies that Starmer said he would continue with and build upon. Unfortunately we won't be given a chance at a left wing platform for a long time now, you're probably right about him handing over the reigns to someone else, maybe like Clive Lewis or someone?

Tyrion

Well, I guess we can blame all the young voters if the Tories get back in...
*Left wing party leans left and loses*
Goddam young people made the party too radical!

*Left wing party leans centrist and loses*
Goddam young people abandoned our electable centrist!

Tyrion

Govts lose elections, oppositions don't win them, as the saying goes. We will have to agree to disagree - IMO the reason labour are so far ahead is because of the nuclear scale incompetence. But Labour made themselves middle-ground credible (where elections are won), that is not a function of the Tory's idiocy.
Are Labour offering anything anymore? It's unusual in just how many of their promises they've abandoned before winning office.

Flying high

He was great in a lot of ways but he had flaws. I was more taken by his policies than the man himself, the policies that Starmer said he would continue with and build upon. Unfortunately we won't be given a chance at a left wing platform for a long time now, you're probably right about him handing over the reigns to someone else, maybe like Clive Lewis or someone?
I don't know enough about Clive Lewis to say either way. To be honest, I don't know who would have been a good candidate. I don't follow internal Labour or Momentum type circles closely enough to have an opinion on that.

It's all about the policies for me, so I was quite happy to get behind someone who was a bit wooly. A bit crap at dealing with certain situations, because it was obvious that his heart was genuinely in the right place.

Don't Kill Bill

Today is a good day to bring this up.

Before the Angela Raynor issue splashed the whole day Starmer was talking about nuclear deterrence. I remember Corbyn saying he wouldn't use nukes even if we were attacked by nukes. Even if you thought that, saying it out loud as a would be PM is a monumentally stupid thing to do. Zero benefit for the UK but virtue signaling is all the cult knows.

And I remember the Salisbury attack and his weak minded dross answers about Russia. (This is pre him going on Putin's Russia Today propaganda channel for the money).

I always thought the guy was a good geography teacher wasted but I was being generous as he couldn't find his own ass if given the co-ordinates.

Don't Kill Bill

Well, I guess we can blame all the young voters if the Tories get back in...
I would take a diminished landslide in a heart beat over any of the last few elections under the amazingly popular political genius that was the second coming of JC.

Raven

Insulting another member
Today is a good day to bring this up.

Before the Angela Raynor issue splashed the whole day Starmer was talking about nuclear deterrence. I remember Corbyn saying he wouldn't use nukes even if we were attacked by nukes. Even if you thought that, saying it out loud as a would be PM is a monumentally stupid thing to do. Zero benefit for the UK but virtue signaling is all the cult knows.

And I remember the Salisbury attack and his weak minded dross answers about Russia. (This is pre him going on Putin's Russia Today propaganda channel for the money).

I always thought the guy was a good geography teacher wasted but I was being generous as he couldn't find his own ass if given the co-ordinates.
Yeah, those aren't the main reasons he was hated though. Although I can tell from your comments that your just another arrogant centrist who enjoys the smell of your own farts a little too much so do carry on.

Raven

I don't know enough about Clive Lewis to say either way. To be honest, I don't know who would have been a good candidate. I don't follow internal Labour or Momentum type circles closely enough to have an opinion on that.

It's all about the policies for me, so I was quite happy to get behind someone who was a bit wooly. A bit crap at dealing with certain situations, because it was obvious that his heart was genuinely in the right place.
The only reason I bring up Clive Lewis is because he was a member of the SCG and also had a military background so many of the criticisms aimed at Corbyn could not be used against Lewis.

I personally think more politicians should be like Corbyn, people with genuine empathy and a focus on improving the lives of ordinary people. Some people have a fetish for being told what to do by psychopaths, that's the reason we're in the situation we're in.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is uniformly the most toxic thread on the CAF at the moment. People who otherwise I reckon hold many overlapping views (other than nickm, who seems to revel in winding people up with how he talks) end up sniping at each other nonstop, in increasingly personal ways.