Kelvin McKenzie uses racial slur against Ross Barkley

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Wonder if The Sun got wind of Everton considering a ban, and reacted with the Barkley piece?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It could have been a racist slur but it is at least equally likely that it wasn't as a) a lot of people don't know Barkley's background, b) the word gorilla is regularly used to describe people who look big and stupid regardless of race and c) Barkley does indeed look big and stupid.

Still, people rightly aren't inclined to give scumbags the benefit of the doubt. How he is still employed by The Sun....

Ixion

I didn't read it as a racial slur and I'm not sure it was one the Sun is a piece of **** paper and anyone reading it is probably a bit of a cnut so I'm happy with it getting banned from anywhere.

F-Red

Wonder if The Sun got wind of Everton considering a ban, and reacted with the Barkley piece?
No, i don't think they're that clever. McKenzie is just an oxygen thief, given his behaviour over Hillsborough you could almost say any article regarding the city of Liverpool is almost contrived and designed to cause offence.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
This is a strong move from Everton, hopefully this spells the end for Kelvin MacKenzie and he can toddle off to The Star where he can write his columns surrounded by high brow journalism such as;

"Lindsay Lohan spotted without underwear on way to club in Soho".

"UFO spotted in Gravesend, suspected of sodomising farmer's cows".

"Katie Price wants another boob job, vote on the size she should go to on page 11!".

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Very obviously not racist if he didn't know Barkley's father is black. If he had known that then he's a nob. I can't see how he would know that, why would he?

Trust the scousers to pretend he did know so that they can claim racism.

GrandJury

Very obviously not racist if he didn't know Barkley's father is black. If he had known that then he's a nob. I can't see how he would know that, why would he?

He's an awful man but people are assuming he knew because of how much they dislike him and The Sun. Could he have known? Sure. Did he know? Probably not.

If he'd have known and wrote that he'd be a bigger idiot than he already appears to be. There's plenty of reasons to hold contempt for The Sun and him but making up he was knowingly being racist isn't one of them.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman

How could he not know. It's publicly available information and it is a journalist's job to research the person they are writing about, especially if it is a hit piece. He knew, of that there can be no doubt.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How could he not know. It's publicly available information and it is a journalist's job to research the person they are writing about, especially if it is a hit piece. He knew, of that there can be no doubt.
I think you're giving him way too much credit tbh.

hobbers

Even if he had known about his grandfather I still don't think you can make a case for racism.

Barkley is white. Likening him to a gorilla is no different to likening Bale to a chimp.

The racism angle makes a farce out of what should be just a simple case of McKenzie being a piece of shit Sun journo.

Oscie

Presumably the racism, sexism, homophobia, bigotry and hatred being spread by the Daily Mail is fine because nobody from Liverpool has yet been targeted. Whenever you decide to take a moral high-ground and ban news organisations based on what someone writes in them you open yourself up to the suggestion that until that point you had no issues with the output.

The sports journalists for the Sun banned today because of an article they had nothing to do with are the same sports journalists for the Sun when the newspaper published an article by Katie Hopkins saying she was happy to see migrants die in the see. You either accept a separation between sports journalists and the news/editorial policy of the paper or you don't. If you don't then it's fair to look at all the vile shite you've been fine with.

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Well he may not be as stupid as we all want him to be but he is arrogant enough not to do his research perhaps. Anyway, he's sunk and so is that dying rag.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
To be fair, I don't think OP of this pic was highlighting his features. He does just look kinda gormless on those pictures, but catch just about anyone with a blank expression and you can say the same.

Anyway, McKenzie just needs to be ignored, he's done this purely to get a rise particularly with the Hillsborough anniversary coming up. Was the gorilla comment intended as a racial slur? Only he will know, I must admit I had no clue Barkley was mixed race.
I had no idea Barkley was mixed race either. It's dodgy ground- it's fine to refer to Bale or George Bush as ape-like, but if they have black heritage unbeknown to you, you're suddenly a racist.
Ridiculous that the police are involved.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Yeah agreed, it's his job to know ffs. Surely too if you get an article to proof read and they use a term like gorilla you check these things before you publish.

Jippy

Staff
Tbf, columns are usually bashed out last minute. If you're doing a hatchet job on a footballer in the news, it's unlikely many journos would research his family tree.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Not sure what you mean by its 'publicly available' that's probably true (no one would hide it) but where and why would you check it? What's the scenario?

'I'm going to write a piece about David Dimbleby but first I'd better get the publicly available information and see where his parents came from...'

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Not sure what you mean by its 'publicly available' that's probably true (no one would hide it) but where and why would you check it? What's the scenario?

'I'm going to write a piece about David Dimbleby but first I'd better get the publicly available information and see where his parents came from...'
Well if you're going to use a term like gorilla then you definitely need to check their families.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
:lol:

Thanks for making me giggle !

JFT 96 .
My pleasure. And on this day of all days it's a shame that as well as thinking of the 96 we also end up having to waste even a fraction of a watt of brain electricity thinking about scumbags like McKenzie and the rubbish they write.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
You're less likely to if the bloke is white, looks a bit of a ginner and has an English name I reckon. I'm amazed he has black heritage tbh.
Then again you're probably not paid for doing research on athletes for articles.

Oscie

Then again you're probably not paid for doing research on athletes for articles.
Nor is Kelvin McKenzie. He's a gobsite with a 'sound-off' column. The pretence that there's an expectation for him to do research on who he writes about is borderline comical, frankly.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
You're less likely to if the bloke is white, looks a bit of a ginner and has an English name I reckon. I'm amazed he has black heritage tbh.
I'm sure you're better placed than most of us to know how journalism works to be fair, I just would have thought given the current climate for calling out racism you'd maybe think to double check.

Although the guy is a twat and was probably just looking to ruffle feathers.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Nor is Kelvin McKenzie. He's a gobsite with a 'sound-off' column. The pretence that there's an expectation for him to do research on who he writes about is borderline comical, frankly.
Well it should be a default for "journalists". Now I know what The Sun is like, but he's paid to write about sports (don't know if the guy writes about other stuff too), so he should know more about the background of athletes than the average fan.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
My pleasure. And on this day of all days it's a shame that as well as thinking of the 96 we also end up having to waste even a fraction of a watt of brain electricity thinking about scumbags like McKenzie and the rubbish they write.
That's why he did it . He wanted a reaction and got one. What horrible twat that cnut is.

I know most United fans stand with us today. Nice one.

3.00pm is approaching and Iam off to town to meet up with all me old mates from the 80's . You want to see us all now. I think Iam the only one with a waistline below 34 and have more hair on my head then I do on me fecking ears.

JFT 96.

RuudTom83

That is an almighty feck up by McKenzie, managing to get yourself banned and branded a racist for calling someone else thick! its an impressive feat! and only proves he is by far a bigger idiot than his intended target!

Last edited:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It has to be said, the Sun has nothing on our match-attending fans when it comes to insulting the people of Liverpool. #feelingconflicted

Oscie

But more than anything I dislike the credit given to McKenzie to prove he's a racist. He might well be racist but if he is it's because he's pig ignorant, lazy, right-wing, bigoted old arseburger, not because he researched the Barkley family tree in preparation for his article and decided to make a calculated, sly dig at him because of his racial heritage.

Giving McKenzie credit for doing this deliberately is far more than he deserves. It's a demonstration in ignorance that's far too often tolerated in journalism today than it is a knowing racist slur.

Jippy

Staff
I'm sure you're better placed than most of us to know how journalism works to be fair, I just would have thought given the current climate for calling out racism you'd maybe think to double check.

Although the guy is a twat and was probably just looking to ruffle feathers.
Ideally, but for most of us having the time is the main constraint. For him I'd imagine it's more laziness- I wouldn't be surprised if he's feeling like the bloke that asked a fat woman when her baby is due, inadvertently being offensive.
The Liverpool stuff is vile and if he wasn't such a twat, he'd just apologise and say he didn't know.

diarm

Aside from the Ross Barkley stuff, you would think that McKenzie would give Liverpool in general a wide berth as subject matter.

Surely there are plenty of things he could write about other than criticizing a city who rightly detest him. If I had his history I'd be hiding under a rock somewhere rather than jumping at opportunities to draw yet more attention to it.

Gazautd18

Can't believe that most on here didn't know Barkley has mixed heritage!
When I first saw him I could see from his skin/features that he had mixed heritage.
MacKenzie is a supposed "journalist" and a simple google search would have confirmed this to him before he wrote this garbage.
Also on the eve of Hillsborough as well.
Dozy twat.