Music Kendrick Lamar | New album 13th May 2022

Red_Aaron

Great great great albums, only one (Good Kid) classic imo.
Then again i feel like beeing classic is to easy in hip hop. If its a classic it should not really be debateble.
Everythings debatable though. Plenty in here love Reasonable Doubt and have called it a classic. Jay Z never really did it for me though so I wouldn't

Ironman is as good a piece of hip hop as you'll find

BootsyCollins

Everythings debatable though. Plenty in here love Reasonable Doubt and have called it a classic. Jay Z never really did it for me though so I wouldn't

Ironman is as good a piece of hip hop as you'll find
Yes thats true. People who dont think its a classic should be outnumbered huge, thats probably more reasonable;)
So 60/40 or 50/50 should not be classics imo.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Good Kid MAAD City is the album I always go back to. I like a few songs off TPAB, but rarely enjoy listening to it all the way through. And I never got into DAMN.

So I'm hoping this new one is more like GKMC, but I highly doubt it?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought 'Damn' was meh. In fact, I recall a few KD stans saying its just a throwaway release before he releases the actual surprise album :lol:

Section 80 is my favourite KD project though.

Pickle85

Because I don't like a certain music artist? I am sure there are plenty you think are terrible.

That's your opinion. I think he is terrible and has got nothing on the old school rap artists.
I meant it in a lighthearted way but would be interested to hear your top ten.

That's fair enough. It is hard to follow up Illmatic though. Arguably it is a perfect album and it was I believe the first album across genres to have lots of different producers on the album whereas everyone else had one producer one album. But for me had he never released Illmatic, IWW would be considered a classic. It's just that can't really ever beat Illmatic. Off topic but for me the only rapper I can think of off the top of my head who produced a classic in their first album and then produced another is Jay Z (Reasonable Doubt ---> 4:44) but I recognise that's an unpopular opinion.
A Tribe Called Quest produced 3 pretty flawless albums in a row.

Eric B and Rakim too.

lsd

The Oracle
The consensus seems to have changed with his discography. Originally there was disappointment when It Was Written was released as it wasn’t as good as Illmatic. He then followed it up with two poor albums before coming back with what I consider a classic, Stillmatic.

IWW going by old source ratings would be 4.5/5. Just below a classic but still great.

It Was Written is a classic and I would make strong cases for Stillmatic and Godson as well.

His last three albums though have cemented him as the best of all time in my eyes.

They have been three classics with not a bad track on them.

To do that after twenty odd years is amazing.

Illmatic is always gonna be his best but he has delivered so much amazing stuff as well

I know people say classic is overused but for me if you release an album where every track is quality then you have to put it in that category

Pickle85

A Tribe Called Quest produced 3 pretty flawless albums in a row.

Eric B and Rakim too.
Tbf neither tip nor Phife are ever bought up in top five discussions whereas Nas is a mainstay. Tribe's biggest plus was that they were doing something very different from a production standpoint. If you're talking about rappers they don't breathe the same air as Nas imo.

Tbf neither tip nor Phife are ever bought up in top five discussions whereas Nas is a mainstay. Tribe's biggest plus was that they were doing something very different from a production standpoint. If you're talking about rappers they don't breathe the same air as Nas imo.
Who does? Rakim, BIG and Nas are a pretty clear distance ahead of the rest.

Pickle85

In no particular order.

Nas, Biggie, Ice Cube, 2Pac, Rakim, Eminem, Big L, Big Pun, KRS One, Jay-Z.

Even though they are no where near my top ten, two of my favourites are Xzibit and Fat Joe :lol: :D
Some solid choices in that ten. Xzibit voice is v unique, I'll give him that!

Red_Aaron

I'm about half way through, it's got beat poem vibes throughout (so far anyway) a lot of spoken word with quite stripped back production and a lot of tempo changes in his flow. Feels like a less optimistic tpab

N95 is great and We Cry Together is really something - I repeated those back to back

Got to go into stupid work now though

b82REZ

Listened to about half on my way to work.

Really impressed. We Cry Together being the standout so far.

Eriku

This guy is so overrated it's actually laughable. I wouldn't even have him in the top 30 rappers of all time. His style and voice are terrible.
:lol:

Wow. Someone hasn’t given Kendrick a fair shake. His voice and delivery threw me off at first too, but he’s undeniably one of the GOATS when you look at his body of work.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
So, is there a gimmick to this album like there was with Damn being back-to-front?

It seems to have been released as a double album. I'm guessing that plays into it. I've noticed the two interludes are 4 from the end of disc 1 and 4 from the beginning of disc 2.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Auntie Diaries is great

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I can't listen to it yet because we have a house inspection arriving at "any time between 10am and 5pm". fecking knobs. Have to listen out for the door.

:lol:

Wow. Someone hasn’t given Kendrick a fair shake. His voice and delivery threw me off at first too, but he’s undeniably one of the GOATS when you look at his body of work.
Nah, his superbowl performance showed him up. Very wooden and unnatural compared to true legends of hip hop like Dre and Snoop. He's very good but if he was coming through in the mid 90s nobody would have heard of him by now, he would have been lost amongst all the talent.

Eriku

Nah, his superbowl performance showed him up. Very wooden and unnatural compared to true legends of hip hop like Dre and Snoop. He's very good but if he was coming through in the mid 90s nobody would have heard of him by now, he would have been lost amongst all the talent.
One live performance throws him out of contention?

Pickle85

Absolutely no chance. Lyrically he is head and shoulders above Snoop. I don't mind Snoop but he's mostly about laid back image. He's not really much of a lyricist.