Kepa Arrizabalaga

PepsiCola

I understand his frustration if he was not injured there is no reason for him to come off.
Caballero is known for being brilliant at PKs, would have practiced against the city squad for years and it was a choice by the manager.

There's understanding what Kepa did, he acted like a child and cost his team.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Absolute clown who bar 2 games this season has been very good. I can’t stand what he did towards the end of the game regardless of the situation. Hope we at least give Sarri until the end of the season and Sarri humiliates him every single day.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Was it just some sort of misunderstanding? Maybe he thought Sarri was subbing him for injury, when his manager actually wanted Cabellero in there for the pens.
I'm guessing this is what happened.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Did you see Rudiger holding off Sarri like a child to prevent him from speaking up? Sarri has been humiliated here, the dressing room is definitely lost. I feel sorry for him, he's all about football philosophy and the players have binned him quicker than Villas Boas.
Sarri was struggling to contain his composure. Rudi did him a favour.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Absolute clown who bar 2 games this season has been very good. I can’t stand what he did towards the end of the game regardless of the situation. Hope we at least give Sarri until the end of the season and Sarri humiliates him every single day.
Caused unnecessary disruption just before an important pen shoot out with the trophy on the line. Unbelievable.

Moonwalker

I can, sort of, understand both parties in that weird incident (the manager less). It's a crazy thing to be subbed off in a cup final because of a misunderstanding, 3 minutes before the bit where you're promoted from bystander to the star of the show. Why did Sarri persist anyway?

Gasolin

I can, sort of, understand both parties in that weird incident (the manager less). It's a crazy thing to be subbed off in a cup final because of a misunderstanding, 3 minutes before the bit where you're promoted from bystander to the star of the show. Why did Sarri persist anyway?
No misunderstanding, Kabalero was a tactical change because he's good with PK and he trained with City players.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
You sound like a proper team player. Wish we had a guy like you in our office
No misunderstanding, Kabalero was a tactical change because he's good with PK and he trained with City players.
You have no way of knowing that.
Like i said in another thread, you don’t swap the world most expensive keeper for a back up goalie because he may be slightly better at mind reading than him.

Member 90887

Because he's the manager ? and he should have the last word ? which world are you living in ? whether it's a misunderstanding (which it clearly was not) or not, the manager asks you to go out, you go out. the final decision lays with him.

John Johnson

Like i said in another thread, you don’t swap the world most expensive keeper for a back up goalie because he may be slightly better at mind reading than him.
wtf has price to do with any of this? don't quit your day job. you'll never make it as a manager

sh4d

You absolutely do. It's a cup final penalty shootout, you do cartwheels around the pitch if you think it's gonna give you an edge.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And your #1 GK has to have the biggest ego in the squad. Plus playing as a GK is often a boring position Penalties is your chance at glory. If you are considered the #1 GK being taken off for penalties is insulting.

Makelele

Did Kepa know this or did he think he was getting subbed because of an injury he didn’t have?

Moonwalker

Yeah, tactical doesn't make any sense, that's not what it looked like at all. It looked like he thought Kepa was injured. Willy was rushed from the bench and didn't even have time to warm up.

Makelele

Sarri just said it was a misunderstanding. A nothing story. Carry on.

Charles Miller

The manager can change him when he wants. Van Gaal changed a keeper to take penalties in a knockout game of the world cup. That kid is not De Gea or Neuer to have this kind of weight in a big EPL club.

Whatever the reason it was certainly entertaining to watch especially as Sarri was going mental on the side lines with Zola and that Laurent Blanc look-a-like looking bemused on the bench.Brilliant.:lol:

mu4c_20le

Insane this, will he be fined?
Even if he does we will never know about it. The official club stance seems to be the misunderstanding angle, that somehow lasted almost five minutes and stunned the football world.

fezzerUTD

Even if he does we will never know about it. The official club stance seems to be the misunderstanding angle, that somehow lasted almost five minutes and stunned the football world.
There club is a bigger mess than us for player power, its every season or so they down tools or something happens.

Gasolin

Did Kepa know this or did he think he was getting subbed because of an injury he didn’t have?
Does it matter? Should Pogba say no to the substitution because he didn’t know the thoughts process of Ole? It’s a decision, and they should follow. Never you do that.

Gasolin

Gasolin doesn't know this either.
What I do know is that if the staff was worried about an injury and with Kepa telling them it’s fine, they should just be satisfied with his answer. Instead, it drove them mad, meaning it has nothing to do with injuries.

Judas

Open to offers
Probably been said, but imagine if it was someone like Pogba who refused to come off, it would be bedlam. It's not like he's a 19 year old either. More than old enough to know better, he's 24 years old.

But if it was going to happen at any club, it would be Chelsea. That dressing room has seemed toxic from an outside perspective for 10 years. It's just rotten.

AshRK

Sarri just said it was a misunderstanding. A nothing story. Carry on.
Doesn't matter. If your manager asks you to come off theb you have to respect him. What happened today was a disgrace to your club.

Seij

Yeah, tactical doesn't make any sense, that's not what it looked like at all. It looked like he thought Kepa was injured. Willy was rushed from the bench and didn't even have time to warm up.
Caballero has a stellar record with penalties and is an ex-city player who is likely familiar with habits of many of the City's penalty takers. Makes sense to me.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Caballero has a stellar record with penalties and is an ex-city player who is likely familiar with habits of many of the City's penalty takers. Makes sense to me.
Bringing on Willy for tactical reasons would make sense for the reasons you say but if that was the plan then why no warm up? Why the rush and why make the sub at just after Kepa went down 'injured' and had treatment?

Also, Sarri is a lot of things but I don't think he is a liar. He's principled to a fault.

iammemphis

wtf has price to do with any of this? don't quit your day job. you'll never make it as a manager
Its to make clear the level at which Kepa is playing at, he isn’t some casual keeper who clearly has a weakness in diving where another keeper may better him. Changing him for Caballero was completely unnecessary.

iammemphis

The manager can change him when he wants. Van Gaal changed a keeper to take penalties in a knockout game of the world cup. That kid is not De Gea or Neuer to have this kind of weight in a big EPL club.
No, he’s only the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, which in my book carries a lot of weight. He’s not shit enough that he can’t handle a penalty shootout which regardless of the outcome pretty much everybody agrees is a lottery. And its Van Gaal for fecks sake.

SirAF

Ageist
No, he’s only the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, which in my book carries a lot of weight. He’s not shit enough that he can’t handle a penalty shootout which regardless of the outcome pretty much everybody agrees is a lottery. And its Van Gaal for fecks sake.
Penalties are hardly a lottery.