Kepa Arrizabalaga

snk123

Didn't seem like a misunderstanding at all especially after the whistle it was quite clear - Rudiger calming Sarri and players patting Kepa on the head as he was going off. Just disgusting scenes all round - would be livid if this had happened at Utd even under Mourinho.

bleedred

This doesn’t in anyway excuse what kepa did, but What I don’t understand is that if cabaellro was going to be in place for penalties, then surely that would have been discussed during the training sessions or atleast after normal time.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He faked injury and wanted to come off because he was nervous and probably wouldn't want to be the cause of them losing, then he suddenly decided to grow a pair, probably realised penalty shootout makes heroes out of keepers so he wanted to stay on. That is my arm chair psychoanalysis of it anyways, but it could sort of explain why he refused to go off, like a maniac and why the manager exploded when he sensed some weak ass bullshit going on from Kepa.

Kepa celebrated like a madman way over the top after his save. Ref had to tell him to leave right before Luiz missed his shot. Weird bunch. I hope we get to buy Kante from them, would be nice. He doesn't belong there.:lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No, he’s only the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, which in my book carries a lot of weight. He’s not shit enough that he can’t handle a penalty shootout which regardless of the outcome pretty much everybody agrees is a lottery. And its Van Gaal for fecks sake.
Penaltys being a lottery is the biggest myth in football. If that was the case all keepers and (regular) takers records would roughly be in line with eachother.

dbs235

This doesn’t in anyway excuse what kepa did, but What I don’t understand is that if cabaellro was going to be in place for penalties, then surely that would have been discussed during the training sessions or atleast after normal time.
Adds some weight to the claims that Sarri was only subbing him because he thought he was injured.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If Kepa's as egotistical and as petty as he came across as being, and if Sarri's aware of that, he may have been concerned that he'd not put in as much effort if he knew he'd be taken off come penalties.

Blatzo

I'm sorry for going against the grain on this but if I was Kepa I'd be fecking livid as well. He's the starting GK for one of the best sides in the world and his manager wants to undermine him by bringing on his main competitor to soak up the glory?

feck that. Being a GK is a thankless task - winning a shootout in a cup final is literally the stuff of dreams.

No keeper with any small amount of self respect thinks their backup is more likely to win a shootout - Kepa absolutely disrespected his manager but it's a two way street

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm sorry for going against the grain on this but if I was Kepa I'd be fecking livid as well. He's the starting GK for one of the best sides in the world and his manager wants to undermine him by bringing on his main competitor to soak up the glory?

feck that. Being a GK is a thankless task - winning a shootout in a cup final is literally the stuff of dreams.

No keeper with any small amount of self respect thinks their backup is more likely to win a shootout - Kepa absolutely disrespected his manager but it's a two way street
Yeah not only would I think the likes of Neuer and De Gea be fuming if you tried to sub him off in that situation but, I know someone like Tim Howard would lose it if you tried to sub him off before a penalty shootout.

WireMUFC

Don’t know where to begin with this comment, The manager has the final say on what happens on the pitch, you talk about the manager undermining kepa by taking him off? It’s exactly the opposite kepa undermined the manager and the team by refusing to come off. If caballero is the best at saving penalties you swallow your pride, listen to the manager and walk off the pitch. If every player had your attitude certain players would take every free kick, penalty and corner and play for as long as he feels like. You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about at all mate.

Seij

Bringing on Willy for tactical reasons would make sense for the reasons you say but if that was the plan then why no warm up? Why the rush and why make the sub at just after Kepa went down 'injured' and had treatment?

Also, Sarri is a lot of things but I don't think he is a liar. He's principled to a fault.
Sarri did save a sub until the very end of the game. My guess is that he was originally planning on waiting until the ET was over to make the sub. He wouldn't have wanted to distract and unnerve Kepa while he's still on the pitch by making Cabellero warm up with 10 minute still left on the clock. Doing this would also catch the City players by greater surprise and make them second guess what they're doing.

Even after the ET, Sarri was still angrily trying to make his the way toward Kepa (stopped by Rudiger) while Cabellero looking like getting ready to get on the field.

hobbers

If I were Sarri I'd very much be saying that Kepa doesn't get in the squad anymore under me, or I walk. And, if you don't sack me first, we'll be selling him in the summer. Ban or no ban.

Don't care what reasons he thinks he has for going against the manager's decision, you cannot do that as a player and survive.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If I were Sarri I'd very much be saying that Kepa doesn't get in the squad anymore under me, or I walk. And, if you don't sack me first, we'll be selling him in the summer. Ban or no ban.

Don't care what reasons he thinks he has for going against the manager's decision, you cannot do that as a player and survive.
Trouble with that is he's likely going to get sacked anyway based on their results.

Charlie Foley

He faked injury and wanted to come off because he was nervous and probably wouldn't want to be the cause of them losing, then he suddenly decided to grow a pair, probably realised penalty shootout makes heroes out of keepers so he wanted to stay on. That is my arm chair psychoanalysis of it anyways, but it could sort of explain why he refused to go off, like a maniac and why the manager exploded when he sensed some weak ass bullshit going on from Kepa.

Kepa celebrated like a madman way over the top after his save. Ref had to tell him to leave right before Luiz missed his shot. Weird bunch. I hope we get to buy Kante from them, would be nice. He doesn't belong there.:lol:
Kante going to Bournemouth?!

Your'e looking at this from angle that the football managers at Chelsea have any real power at the club.Which,as history shows us,they dont.
Had Sarri and Chelsea been alot less wobbly this season maybe Sarri would've had more grounds to apply his own managerial authority on the team but he doesn't.

We've seen this played out many a time at Chelsea. Sarri is not far from the Ambro chopping block.

Blatzo

Don’t know where to begin with this comment, The manager has the final say on what happens on the pitch, you talk about the manager undermining kepa by taking him off? It’s exactly the opposite kepa undermined the manager and the team by refusing to come off. If caballero is the best at saving penalties you swallow your pride, listen to the manager and walk off the pitch. If every player had your attitude certain players would take every free kick, penalty and corner and play for as long as he feels like. You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about at all mate.
I literally said in my post that he disrespected the manager. I'm not trying to suggest that didn't happen.

In a nutshell I've basically said I can see why Kepa was angry and (in bold) you've created some weird straw man where being angry about your manager not trusting you in a shootout is the same as all those other things.

Being subbed off or not being put on corners/free kicks/penalties isn't the same as being a GK in a cup final and keeping a clean sheet for 120 minutes then being told someone else gets to waltz in and be the hero.

I've not said he should disobey his manager. I've not even said his manager was wrong. I've literally just said that I can see why he's pissed off.

And if you can't see it the person who hasn't got a clue what they're talking about isn't me.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Maybe they all expected to be trashed by City and didn't even consider this option :lol: ?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Apologised again and has been fined (that has gone to the clubs charity).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47365945

"Although there was a misunderstanding, on reflection, I made a big mistake with how I handled the situation"

"I wanted to take the time today to apologise fully and in person to the coach, to Willy, my team-mates and to the club.

"I have done this and now I want to offer the same apology to the fans. I will learn from this episode and will accept any punishment or discipline the club decides is appropriate."

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
All done & dusted then. Not much else to say at this point.

(No chance it was a misunderstanding, though :p)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
A week's wages seems like a massive cop-out by the club, though they probably want to play it down just like Sarri is, I guess.

Dolf

One weeks salary fine. Wow, when was the last time a player was fined that much? Especially for something that was a "misunderstanding"

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not necessarily... what if the plan was to sub Willy in only if they had enough subs at the end of the game? I mean, if they had discussed it before hand, but then they had used all their subs and so Kepa had to stay in net, he'd then possibly be thinking "Well my manager doesn't fancy for me for this..."

breakout67

Supports
Man City
One weeks salary fine. Wow, when was the last time a player was fined that much? Especially for something that was a "misunderstanding"
Chelsea PR team on here would have you believe it's all rosy in the Chelsea camp. Sarri got mugged off by a player that doesn't respect him and many of the Chelsea players sat by and did nothing, some even facilitated the disrespect.

Runner

My blinkered Chelsea friend blamed Sarri for not knowing what he was doing and that he should have consulted the doctor or goalkeeping coach. Didn't like it when I said that is irrelevant when the manager makes a decision you come off.

GM K

I must be getting too old in this game.

My head just can't wrap itself around the idea that players are now so big that for whatever reasons, they can defy their managers so openly. And worse still, some fans or pundits will find justifications for them.

Sigh.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

"Although there was a misunderstanding, on reflection, I made a big mistake with how I handled the situation"

"I wanted to take the time today to apologise fully and in person to the coach, to Willy, my team-mates and to the club.

"I have done this and now I want to offer the same apology to the fans. I will learn from this episode and will accept any punishment or discipline the club decides is appropriate."
Case closed.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

My head just can't wrap itself around the idea that players are now so big that for whatever reasons, they can defy their managers so openly. And worse still, some fans or pundits will find justifications for them.

Sigh.
I can accept Kepa initially refusing to leave the pitch if he believes Sarri wrongly thinks he's injured, because at the end of the day he just wants to help his team. But I just cannot understand what's so hard about letting him know the decision is technical. Maybe the doctors had been discussing with him the option to get subbed for some time, and that's the only thing crossing Kepa's head. That's the only possibility I can think of, but still...

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Good response. Young and learning. Move on.

cyberman

Sigh.
It's ok though, he's apologized...
If he isn't dropped for a few games then there's something seriously wrong with their disciplinary process

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has apologized and looks like Chelsea have moved on which is right thing to do.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Reports saying Kepa has refused to be fined. Chelsea's payroll officer is furious.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
That Aguero penalty not being saved was borderline embarrassing. I played GK to a decent level and would have saved that, no bother.
Sane's one was comfortable.

Deserved the fine you could say, and yet more proof the misunderstanding story was nonsense

lysglimt

Scout
Still think the best comment was from the pundit who (cant remember who) said: What I find most shocking in this situation is a goalkeeper getting a cramp :)