Kevin De Bruyne

Polite Poster

Supports
Manchester City
KDB has done it against BM in Germany and so I see no reason why he won't do it in the big games here.

Remember he has only been in England and with his new team a few months. I'd say he's settling in quite nicely.

Nickosaur

KDB has done it against BM in Germany and so I see no reason why he won't do it in the big games here.

Remember he has only been in England and with his new team a few months. I'd say he's settling in quite nicely.
Putting it mildly. He's sheer class.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I've watched a fair bit of him and I know he is class but people are going overboard on here with the praise. He has been absolutely awful in numerous games this season, especially the big games. The rest of the City side not turning up is not an excuse. Playing well against Sunderland does not make you worth £50 million.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I've watched a fair bit of him and I know he is class but people are going overboard on here with the praise. He has been absolutely awful in numerous games this season, especially the big games. The rest of the City side not turning up is not an excuse. Playing well against Sunderland does not make you worth £50 million.
How do you expect a player to play well when the whole side is not playing well?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ffs. :lol:
Willian is the Chelsea fans equivalent to Pool's Sakho.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is that a genuine response? Plenty of players have excelled in a team playing poorly, Willian this season for one.
Willian is impressive, his mental is as strong as you could wish from a player but even he, isn't playing at his best level.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Not really, he played well in a poor side so far this season. I never actually mentioned his quality level at all so your comparison is somewhat irrelevant. I'm a harsh critic of him.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Point still stands. Players can play well when their teammates are. Aguero against Bayern being one example.

DWelbz19

Obviously the point would stand; the original point of players not expected to play well when teammates aren't is stupid. Willian hasn't done too much of that at all, though.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Obviously the point would stand; the original point of players not expected to play well when teammates aren't is stupid. Willian hasn't done too much of that at all, though.
He has though. Been our only performer this season.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
If you'd watched our games he was pretty much the only player playing at their true level for about a 3 month period despite every else around him doing nothing.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
If you'd watched our games he was pretty much the only player playing at their true level for about a 3 month period despite every else around him doing nothing.
I would say he has gone up a level this season.

DWelbz19

He's gone up a level because he was absolute tosh last year. We're derailing the thread in any case.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Watched him quite a bit as well but not sure I've ever thought he was 'absolutely awful'. Not consistently word class, sure, but that would be expected for his first year there, still all the signs are that he's a top player.

Skills

Snitch
Everything he does is so simple, yet so deliberate and perfectly executed.

Blackwidow

Can you tell me why he does not move after he passed the ball? He should have gotten himself in a new position so Silva might have had another possibility then shooting. The pass is nothing special. Lot's of space and no defender really acts.

If he would have moved some meters to the left after the shot he could have gotten the attention of one of the defenders that were in Silva's direct way - or if not would have stood free and in good position.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Can you tell me why he does not move after he passed the ball? He should have gotten himself in a new position so Silva might have had another possibility then shooting. The pass is nothing special. Lot's of space and no defender really acts.
Perhaps but he already is demonstrating a better understanding with his fellow attackers than what we've attempted to conjure up all season and I don't think they've even played together much this season. Great movement from Silva.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

If he would have moved some meters to the left after the shot he could have gotten the attention of one of the defenders that were in Silva's direct way - or if not would have stood free and in good position.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Agreed. De Bruyne shouldn't have even passed it in the first place, in face if he was even a half-decent player he wouldn't even need team mates on the pitch at all. I've had enough of this joker and his lack of movement after passing the ball, we should never have sold Adam Johnson.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

When is next year's Playa Haters Ball? I missed this year's.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City

Probably had a bit of confidence in Silva to fashion his own chance from there, it's a fine thing having confidence in your team mates - wish we could have some in our defence too.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't agree with the rest of the post, but I found it a bit odd too that he stopped moving after the (brilliant pass). He isn't the only one though and his team being up by three goals might have played a part too.

Blackwidow

When is next year's Playa Haters Ball? I missed this year's.
It is not about this. KdB did not do anything really special here, but gets praised. (maybe I have the pleasure to eat delikatessen everyday and am not aware that it is something special) I know that he is a good player I have the pleasure to be able to watch him for much longer than you do. ANd now get out of the hype and watch him. For him it is over when he passes. It should not. There is no reason for him to stay there. It would be like this if he would not have passed to Silva but to a fullback. Then he would have needed to give cover.I just think it is funny that nobody has seen that. Maybe we should analyze scenes more often.Somewhere end of November there is a similar scene of the Bayern match in November. A video of the scene is in the Bundesligathread. Ribery did a pass on a similar spot to Müller. Because Ribs did not stop he scored his goal...

It is not a 10 - maybe a 7 out of 10 because he stops. Like I said - he should have moved to the left after passing and towards goal. That would have meant the defense would have had to react on his movement. One of the two defenders that covered Silva (maybe even both because it could have caused a little moment of distraction and "wrong" decisionmaking of the defenders) would have had to go for him. Like this Silva just would have had one defender to take care of and not two - and the shot would have been easier and maybe would have gone in. Or - if the two defenders would not have reacted - he would have stood totally free and would have been a great passing option for Silva.

Passing or shooting is just a part of what makes a good footballer - it is about movement, too.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It is not about this. KdB did not do anything really special here, but gets praised. (maybe I have the pleasure to eat delikatessen everyday and am not aware that it is something special) I know that he is a good player I have the pleasure to be able to watch him for much longer than you do. ANd now get out of the hype and watch him. For him it is over when he passes. It should not. There is no reason for him to stay there. It would be like this if he would not have passed to Silva but to a fullback. Then he would have needed to give cover.I just think it is funny that nobody has seen that. Maybe we should analyze scenes more often.Somewhere end of November there is a similar scene of the Bayern match in November. A video of the scene is in the Bundesligathread. Ribery did a pass on a similar spot to Müller. Because Ribs did not stop he scored his goal...

It is not a 10 - maybe a 7 out of 10 because he stops. Like I said - he should have moved to the left after passing and towards goal. That would have meant the defense would have had to react on his movement. One of the two defenders that covered Silva (maybe even both because it could have caused a little moment of distraction and "wrong" decisionmaking of the defenders) would have had to go for him. Like this Silva just would have had one defender to take care of and not two - and the shot would have been easier and maybe would have gone in. Or - if the two defenders would not have reacted - he would have stood totally free and would have been a great passing option for Silva.

Passing or shooting is just a part of what makes a good footballer - it is about movement, too.
You really are being far too faux intellectual about this.

It was a great piece of skill that played a teammate on goal against a defence already in place around their area. The way he held it up in order to time the pass and fixated the defender in one fluid movement was inspired and a lovely example of footballing joy.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You really are being far too faux intellectual about this.

It was a great piece of skill that played a teammate on goal against a defence already in place around their area. The way he held it up in order to time the pass and fixated the defender in one fluid movement was inspired and a lovely example of footballing joy.
I personally don´t even know where KdB was supposed to move in this scene.

Drifting outside towards the corner flag would have created an additional passing option, but given the angle, distance towards the Goal and time it would have given the defense to prepare it would have certainly been a worse one than the centrally positioned Sterling or Bony in the left part of the box. Defensively it would have been worse as he would have broken formation and made a potential counter situation (created by a misplaced pass for example) over his side more dangerous by being behind the defense instead of standing in the way.

Drifting centrally would have occupied the space Sterling was standing in and unneeded while creating defensively the same problems as the first option.

Following Silva inside the box would offensively made just as little sense as the Spaniard would have been forced to turn or play a back heel pass.

All in all, De Bruyne keeping position was actually the right decision in my book as it increased the chances of getting a rebound ball or stopping a potential counter as he was the only City player in that area.

I´m all for a lot of off the ball movement, but said movement actually has to improve the overall Situation. This is not such a case.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wish we (Bayern München) had managed to sign Kevin de Bruyne. Sadly the player wasn't willing to wait another year. When I look at Götze, even in his 'improved' 2015/16 form, I just want to shake my head in disappointment.

On the other hand a Volkswagen spokesperson claimed the KdB transfer can become the most expensive in football history if all add-ons are activated. He's crazy good but probably not worth up to €100 million Euros.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Some of the expectations people have for players are crazy. Even the best players don´t play their best every game. Not with the insane amount of games on the schedule. (Over)paying for world class players in a position of need is always a better idea than spreading out the cash. Maybe if you already have your best 11 and just looks for squad enforcements it makes some sense. Who´d you rather have Fellaini and Herrera or KDB?

Blackwidow

:lol::lol::lol:

The meme posted above fits perfectly.
Oh - it is probably a 20 at Hansa Rostock... That German that plays for Real Madrid who is always caught ball watching comes from that area, too. I guess you just do not know that you can actually run after passing...

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Oh - it is probably a 20 at Hansa Rostock... That German that plays for Real Madrid who is always caught ball watching comes from that area, too. I guess you just do not know that you can actually run after passing...
:lol:
I was wondering when I would get my first 'Your club is shit mate' flame, well done.