Kevin De Bruyne

Lyricist

Vardy has done more tonight than De Bruyne. It will take some effort by De Bruyne to even come a sniff of what Vardy has achieved tonight. Ronaldo, Torres and Suarez couldn't do what Vardy has done.

Do I think Vardy is world class. No, I don't rate him that much, he's going through a crazy purple patch. I still await to be wowed by De Bruyne when he's up against a team that likes to press. Today was just more flat track bullying fare to bring this up I'm afraid. But I'd give a left nut to have a flat track bully like him right now. Watch us f*ck up against a poor Swansea tomorrow after beating you.

Vardy's goal scoring streak is incredible but one might argue that Bundesliga POTY isn't a bad achievement either.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Unbelievable there isn't a 'list' of winners on google. There's German Footballer of They Year on Wiki but that list looks different, i.e. its missing Lewandowsi and I'm sure he won Bundesliga poty one season.

Lyricist

Kagawa and the invisible Nuri Sahin are also esteemed holders.

And rightfully so because they both had amazing seasons in those years which got them moves to Real, United, and Liverpool. (Aside of the fact that Kagawa's was some kind of fan's choice award I believe and Reus won the actual POTY award back then for his performances with Mönchengladbach?) On the other hand Vardy is in his first truly incredible half season at 28 and has so far played for Stocksbridge, Halifax Town, Fleetwood Town, and the currently mighty Leicester.

Sahin got his award at a time when Vardy still played in the National League for Fleetwood Town. So surely you will have to admit that players can develop pretty drastically over a very short amount of time.
So taking Sahin's performances for Liverpool and Madrid as an example for in your opinion average players winning the Bundesliga POTY award, is a bit like taking Vardy's time in the National League as proof that lower class players can break Premier League records. It's a stupid point really because none of those periods of weaker performances can taint the great performances of the good seasons.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
That's the one I was looking at and was missing Lewandowski. Is German Football of the Year same as Bundesliga POTY? Maybe Lewa never won it.
Not that shocking is it?

ctp

That's the one I was looking at and was missing Lewandowski. Is German Football of the Year same as Bundesliga POTY? Maybe Lewa never won it.
This one's the official award. Lewandowski never won it, Kagawa at least won some random online poll in 2012, don't know about Sahin.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Vardy has done more tonight than De Bruyne. It will take some effort by De Bruyne to even come a sniff of what Vardy has achieved tonight. Ronaldo, Torres and Suarez couldn't do what Vardy has done.

Do I think Vardy is world class. No, I don't rate him that much, he's going through a crazy purple patch. I still await to be wowed by De Bruyne when he's up against a team that likes to press. Today was just more flat track bullying fare to bring this up I'm afraid. But I'd give a left nut to have a flat track bully like him right now. Watch us f*ck up against a poor Swansea tomorrow after beating you.
Which just tells you what a fairly meaningless record it is in terms of judging a player's overall ability. Sure, Vardy is in immense form and it is a very good achievement, but in terms of comparing him to de Bruyne there is just no contest between the two. It seems to me you're basically forming your opinion almost entirely off the Liverpool game where Klopp employed a pressing tactic which nullified City and prevented de Bruyne from influencing the game as he normally would. Let's not forget Pellegrini probably rightfully called it the worst performance by the team under his reign, the issues with the Liverpool match had very little to do with the attack and players like de Bruyne and everything to do with tactics and abysmal defending.

zing

Zingle balls
Annoying that we weren't in for him. At least we're not Chelsea - it seems every player they sold on (Lukaku, Mata, De Bruyne, etc.) is playing well and at the very least is doing better than their current team.

Mata wouldn't improve Chelsea in any way. If he played for any other club and was named John, you'd be laughing at the 42m price tag. Just over-rated.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Mata wouldn't improve Chelsea in any way. If he played for any other club and was named John, you'd be laughing at the 42m price tag. Just over-rated.
Nonsense. £42m was too much in my view, but he'd definitely improve Chelsea.

He was their player of the year in successive seasons, and letting him go in January ended up costing them the title as they lacked creativity. Even though, Hazard/Mata/Willian is better than Hazard, Willian and one of Oscar/Pedro.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Nonsense. £42m was too much in my view, but he'd definitely improve Chelsea.

He was their player of the year in successive seasons, and letting him go in January ended up costing them the title as they lacked creativity. Even though, Hazard/Mata/Willian is better than Hazard, Willian and one of Oscar/Pedro.
Mata isn't the same player anymore.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Mata isn't the same player anymore.
Maybe not, but firstly that doesn't mean his level would have dropped if he'd stayed at Chelsea. Secondly, other than Hazard, all their attackers are bang average - you don't have to be great to be an improvement.

DWelbz19

Hazard hasn't scored a goal in 31 hours and 9 minutes. I'm sure Mata could offer Chelsea just a little bit.

RooneyLegend

He's got amazing vision and weight of pass. Very good ball striking to boot. However that's where it ends with him hence he has the tendency to disappear in games where space becomes a rare commodity.

prarek

Thought he was a little selfish today. City might have had the lead just prior to the Walcott goal.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
So yeah, Kevin. £48m was it?
9 goals & 9 assists in 22 starts for City so far in just 4 months for a 24 year old with plenty of room to mature... Worth £48m to me, and a questionable game vs Arsenal isn't going to change that.

The Sterling thread is the better place to go on the offensive :D KDB is class.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
9 goals & 9 assists in 22 starts for City so far in just 4 months for a 24 year old with plenty of room to mature... Worth £48m to me, and a questionable game vs Arsenal isn't going to change that.

The Sterling thread is the better place to go on the offensive :D KDB is class.
He's not turned up for any big game I've watched. Including (if you can call it big against us nowadays) the game where Firmino handed him his ass. I've cited Vardy on here before so I won't restart that conversation.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I'd still be happy to pay £48m for a flattrack bully - Feck knows we need one :D

Shark

@NotShark
This thread reminds me of the Ozil thread before everyone gobbled up their words. Way too early to be calling him a flop ffs.

prarek

This thread reminds me of the Ozil thread before everyone gobbled up their words. Way too early to be calling him a flop ffs.
Definitely not a flop. He's having a good season infact. 10 goals + assists in 13 league games.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Flattrack bullies win you league titles.
No, just gets you top 4.

In a season where Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool all deserve to be relegated City are still only 3rd best. Flat track bullies my arse. Mediocre. Pep can't get there quick enough.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
So yeah, Kevin. £48m was it?
He's had some excellent games for City this season and unsurprisingly some poorer ones. He's 24 and still finding his feet in the league and adjusting to playing with his team mates. He's done enough to suggest he can live up to his price tag and fulfil his potential. Making a comment such as yours after a bad game comes across as pretty embittered and uninformed, let's judge him after a full season.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
He's had some excellent games for City this season and unsurprisingly some poorer ones. He's 24 and still finding his feet in the league and adjusting to playing with his team mates. He's done enough to suggest he can live up to his price tag and fulfil his potential. Making a comment such as yours after a bad game comes across as pretty embittered and uninformed, let's judge him after a full season.
One game? I'm sure we talked before, Vardy, yadayadayada...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
One game? I'm sure we talked before, Vardy, yadayadayada...
Where in my post did I say one game? You just seem bitter and desperate to write off the likes of de Bruyne and Sterling judging from your other posts.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
No, just gets you top 4.

In a season where Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool all deserve to be relegated City are still only 3rd best. Flat track bullies my arse. Mediocre. Pep can't get there quick enough.
De Bruyne is not why they are third. If you are looking for a big money signing for City who has disappointed so far there is an Argentine CB you can be looking at.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Where in my post did I say one game? You just seem bitter and desperate to write off the likes of de Bruyne and Sterling judging from your other posts.
I read your comment of "....after a bad game...." as meaning "...one game....". My mistake if that's not what you meant.

My point was my stance on KdB hasn't changed. All the fantasy points scoring he was providing are now in the past, much like Gomis. Not really what you expect from a near £50m player. Not even from a £30m player!! Don't even get my green smilies started on Sterling. :D

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I thought it was pretty obvious that City's problems tonight went a lot deeper than just one attacking player.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It always feels like the rest of the squad is on one wavelength and he's on another. Still a quality player though but 50M player he ain't.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I read your comment of "....after a bad game...." as meaning "...one game....". My mistake if that's not what you meant.

My point was my stance on KdB hasn't changed. All the fantasy points scoring he was providing are now in the past, much like Gomis. Not really what you expect from a near £50m player. Not even from a £30m player!! Don't even get my green smilies started on Sterling. :D
My first sentence made it pretty clear I accept de Bruyne has been poor in games this season. Comparing him to Gomis? What on earth. De Bruyne has still on the whole had a positive start to life in his City career and this is the guy who was the Bundesliga's best player last season. He struggles in away games, that much is clear, but so is the whole team right now. It would make far more sense to look at him at the end of the season instead of commenting after each game, be it good or bad.

DWelbz19

He's great. It's like a player can't go a game without being amazing else he's overpriced and overrated.

cyberman

He's great. It's like a player can't go a game without being amazing else he's overpriced and overrated.
Its more than one game. A player who commands that price tag has to be held up to a higher standard than the rest. It's the only thing that can keep City's spending in check.
if we start writing off a duo's form ( Sterling and KDB Cost what? 100m between them?) because City can afford it then football is skewed beyond repair. We cant just give them credit because of their form pre City, that's where the inferiority complex of this forum comes in. They can't seem to do no wrong.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Its more than one game. A player who commands that price tag has to be held up to a higher standard than the rest. It's the only thing that can keep City's spending in check.
if we start writing off a duo's form ( Sterling and KDB Cost what? 100m between them?) because City can afford it then football is skewed beyond repair. We cant just give them credit because of their form pre City, that's where the inferiority complex of this forum comes in. They can't seem to do no wrong.
If you compared them to our expensive signing, De Bryune and Sterling will both look world class. What I m trying to say is that their is an overreaction, in particular with De Bryune performance, who has been arguably city's best player and one of the best players in the league.