Khedira

thepolice123

One of the players who have impressed me greatly in the Euros and probably the most underrated player in the German team. I know midfield playmakers are the in the trend now, but I think Khedira's performance this season for both Real Madrid and Germany makes him one of the best midfielders in the world. His energy, drive and ability to press high up and break up play reminds me of the classic box-to-box midfielders of yesteryear, and apart from that he's pretty tidy with the ball and poses a goal threat with his late runs into the box. A very complete player.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Seems he can volley the ball rather well.

Homeomorphic

Played with a chip on his shoulder and surged forward like a madman, ignoring his defensive duties as a defensive midfielder, leaving the back four exposed several times. De Rossi outclassed him big time with his clever passing and positioning. I must admit though, for a minute I also bought the Khedira hype. His Scott Parker impression yesterday opened my eyes though.

Mind you, if he sticks to his job as a water carrier, he's solid enough.

humdinger

I like khedira, think he's a really good player. Was a bit envious when he went to Real, must admit.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Played with a chip on his shoulder and surged forward like a madman, ignoring his defensive duties as a defensive midfielder, leaving the back four exposed several times. De Rossi outclassed him big time with his clever passing and positioning. I must admit though, for a minute I also bought the Khedira hype. His Scott Parker impression yesterday opened my eyes though.

He didn't ignore them. Schweinsteiger isn't completely fit. That much is obvious but they still stuck with him. He wasn't mobile enough so he sat back. By the end he was playing as a CB.

Germany were desperate for a goal and their pressing game was off. Half the team was high up and the other half to much behind which left a big gap in the middle.

Khedira isn't anything like Scott Parker. Because he might have more defensive duties than the guy next to him doesn't make him a standard defensive midfielder. He's more of a box to box midfielder that frequently ventures into the box. He's always done that. You won't see Schweinsteiger enter in there. He's essentially the deeper player of the two.

NoLogo

Khedira is a very complete midfielder who is the ideal partner for a deep lying playmaker imo.

That being said he is not among the best in the world yet even though he had a great tournament.

His timing is sometimes awful and he needs to improve his defensive game as well as his finishing.

That being said I think Lars Bender is actually more talented then him and might make a push for his spot in the team in the near future.

mufcwarm92

I was impressed too. I always thought of him as a decent bu unspectacular defensive midfielder but he has so much energy and looks like he can perform more of a box-to-box role really effectively.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
One of the players who have impressed me greatly in the Euros and probably the most underrated player in the German team. I know midfield playmakers are the in the trend now, but I think Khedira's performance this season for both Real Madrid and Germany makes him one of the best midfielders in the world. His energy, drive and ability to press high up and break up play reminds me of the classic box-to-box midfielders of yesteryear, and apart from that he's pretty tidy with the ball and poses a goal threat with his late runs into the box. A very complete player.
It was barely a month ago you were saying the same about holding midfielders?! Khedira's a good player but he'll be replaced (in the starting XI) at club and international level by the next Euros - very possibly even by the World Cup - by a better player.

I've no idea why people are surprised he played so far forward, he played the same way in the World Cup with Schweinsteiger sitting.

Suedesi

Easy there tiger

Suedesi

:lol::lol::lol:, the German Scott Parker is about right.

Ekeke

I liked to see him ordering players around for Germany at times in this tournament, taking up extra responsibility. But I still think the main thing he brings is energy and going box to box. He's a well rounded player but I wouldnt say hes brilliant at anything

Kaos

Its unbelievably frustrating to think that Madrid got both him and Ozil for less than 30 million Euros combined.

Varun

Staff
Good player but i'd rather have had Schweinsteiger play box to box and him sit back in the national setup.

Snow

I liked to see him ordering players around for Germany at times in this tournament, taking up extra responsibility. But I still think the main thing he brings is energy and going box to box. He's a well rounded player but I wouldnt say hes brilliant at anything
That's exactly what he is. He's a bit of a 'jack of all trades' kind of midfielder. Not very good at anything but not poor either. He does cause the defense problems with his runs.

Snow

Good player but i'd rather have had Schweinsteiger play box to box and him sit back in the national setup.
Schweinsteiger doesn't venture too close to the box. Just not what he does. Khedira is a better dribbler than him and Khedira is an okay dribbler at best. He's not one to dribble the ball forward and past men like Pirlo did against Germany. It's kind of like he's emulating Scholes in a way (the older Scholes version).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He got forward a lot more than I was expecting in this tournament.
Aye, showed a completely different side of his ability in recent months (for Madrid as well) Very good player. Goes without saying would improve our midfield with ease :(

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Off to Schalke apparently, free transfer.
Schalke is doing smart business. Two top players in Nastasic and Khedira signed in the same week.

I thought Arsenal were in for Khedira but his injury record must have made them back off.

Snow

Schalke is doing smart business. Two top players in Nastasic and Khedira signed in the same week.

I thought Arsenal were in for Khedira but his injury record must have made them back off.
He's not injured enough for them. Would be made fun of. Would disrupt morale.

steve9

I think that transfer is anything but done. And for sure not for free.

I've never been a big fan of his. But he's a backbone/stabilizer type of midfielder, with a decent set of football skills and runs miles like a horse. Something a lot of teams could use. Schalke for sure can.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

I've never been a big fan of his. But he's a backbone/stabilizer type of midfielder, with a decent set of football skills and runs miles like a horse. Something a lot of teams could use. Schalke for sure can.
Pretty sure his contract expires this summer.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Thank feck, he's crap.

anchan1989

He isnt the best around on his position but I also dont get the bashing on this site.
He is world class when fully fit and was an important part to our WC winning team. Also played a major role at Real for years, won the CL.
Not that bad. ;)
Still only 27. He needs a preseason in which he is fit and ready to train. Give him that in the summer and he will be among the best again.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He isnt the best around on his position but I also dont get the bashing on this site.
He is world class when fully fit and was an important part to our WC winning team. Also played a major role at Real for years, won the CL.
Not that bad. ;)
Still only 27. He needs a preseason in which he is fit and ready to train. Give him that in the summer and he will be among the best again.
World class but not the best in his position? Contradiction in terms, no?

anchan1989

World class but not the best in his position? Contradiction in terms, no?
Since when means world class being the best in your position?

I just wanted to write "Where is @anchan1989....so he can tell us that Khedira is world-class" :lol:
Some would joke that your life has to be pretty free of joy if you wait for a poster to defend a world cup and CL winner to make silly remarks about him.
But hey, I have class. ;)

Blackwidow

Khedira is not world-class. That is the wrong word for it. He lacks anything special for this, no special technic, directing, playmaking, scoring, creating or match intelligence.

But if he is really fit - and that is important for him - he is the crafter each team needs and does not lower the quality of that teams - and adds a great mentality for difficult matches and leadership qualities.

For Schalke he would be a great buy with all their youngsters.

That all does not really sound special - but Germany had matches e.g. in Austria our beloved neighbours - were he together with Mueller were the only ones that performed... maybe the Britannia on stormy Tuesday. Not all of the German players are made of that cloth.... There is too much fairy weather players...

Last edited:

NoPace

Seems like a good fit in a 3 with Meyer as the most offensive, Khedira box to box and then Neustader (and presumably Goretzka soon enough) as the deepest of the 3. They'll need to keep playing with wingbacks or sign some pace, though. Not a ton in the attack.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Since when means world class being the best in your position?

Some would joke that your life has to be pretty free of joy if you wait for a poster to defend a world cup and CL winner to make silly remarks about him.
But hey, I have class. ;)
Being world class often means you are the best in your position. Khedira has never been world class.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Great English...

Still think he'd have been a decent signing.