Kieran McKenna as our next assistant manager| Simon Stone confirms the promotion

crossy1686

career ending
Seems like Mourinho has learned something from the Chelsea debacle. Surround yourself with well liked coaches and ex-pro's within the club and you'll get more leeway. Expect that the likes of Carrick and McKenna will be the one's delivering most news and dealing with players in training while Jose observes from afar.

If you're a prickly twat and you rub people the wrong way, get people around you who are better at dealing with people than you are.

I'm all for whatever gets us actually looking and playing like a team. Jose should start letting Carrick do his pressers as well, he's already said he hates them.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The other way of looking at it is that he's promoted McKenna because he's excited by what he can bring to the table in an attacking sense and the strong bridge he can provide between the seniors and the juniors given his positive impact on the U18s. Just because McKenna's an internal appointment it doesn't automatically mean he's a yes man.
Every assistant manager are yes man to an extend. Input and differing opinions are one thing but to work well with your boss you have to develop a sense of cooperation. I don't think any manager would like a "NO SIR" assistant manager that undermines their every action. There's a fine line between a yes man and a man who knows his role and respect his boss' decision.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Every assistant manager are yes man to an extend. Input and differing opinions are one thing but to work well with your boss you have to develop a sense of cooperation. I don't think any manager would like a "NO SIR" assistant manager that undermines their every action. There's a fine line between a yes man and a man who knows his role and respect his boss' decision.
You're right, you need a bloke who is willing to fall in line with his boss when necessary but surely a manager will look to build a team with members who can bring different things to the table.

I think anyone suddenly expecting scintillating football from us on the back of this one appointment is well wide of the mark but at the moment I choose to believe this is a positive appointment based on Jose understanding the need for a new blend of voices around him, rather than wanting somebody cheap who already knows where the stopcock is to put the cones out.

Judas

Open to offers
Could in theory be the best change we make all season. I’m excited by it quite a lot, imagine us actually working on our attack and implementing some fresh ideas to our knackered forward play, almost makes me hopeful.

I'm looking forward to seeing his work with the first team. He could be exactly what our young players like Rashford, Martial and Pogba need.

AndyJ1985

Could in theory be the best change we make all season. I’m excited by it quite a lot, imagine us actually working on our attack and implementing some fresh ideas to our knackered forward play, almost makes me hopeful.
That would be more exciting than any signing we make

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeah I dont get it.

He keeps his men - oh no, he should get an attacking coach, he doesnt know how to do it.
Rui Faria leaves, McKenna and Carrick come - oh no, he didn't keep any of his men.
Not really, I wouldn't have minded if he kept his coaching team intact, the group has obviously had better days than they are showing now. His Real teams were scoring for fun.

Ban

Not really, I wouldn't have minded if he kept his coaching team intact, the group has obviously had better days than they are showing now. His Real teams were scoring for fun.
Well that's the thing isn't it. It clearly isn't working in attacking sense. So fresh ideas are welcome.

mu4c_20le

Feeling hopeful but not sure why so many people think a young unproven coach could be much influence to a guy like Mourinho. With that said, hopefully he would improve the atmosphere especially when jose is feeling dour.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Well that's the thing isn't it. It clearly isn't working in attacking sense. So fresh ideas are welcome.
I think the roadblock is more psychological than technical with Jose right now. It happens to managers, even LVG became an entirely different manager after blowing a lead at Leicester. For some reason either because he doesn't trust the players or something else, he is approaching games far too circumspect and that's cost us games.

haram

Pleased with this. I hope Jose let's him co-ordinate our attacking play.

With him and Carrick in his ears that's 2 young modern coaches who will hopefully give him a fresh view.
What’s modern about Carrick? He has played under older managers his whole life. He isn’t going to suddenly have a ‘modern’ outlook on things. Whatever ‘modern’ means anyway.

Ban

I think the roadblock is more psychological than technical with Jose right now. It happens to managers, even LVG became an entirely different manager after blowing a lead at Leicester. For some reason either because he doesn't trust the players or something else, he is approaching games far too circumspect and that's cost us games.
Well yeah but as it was said he could have gone for someone he knows from before and trusts and whatever but bringing McKenna in could be a sign he knows something needs to change and he's prepared to give it a go. I mean what's the solution anyway, I've seen crying about us needing to bring in an attacking coach the whole season.
As for him being too careful he was like that before but it has hit new heights here. Hopefully that will change next season with some new ideas.

DownRiver

It's a very exciting appointment. Also goes to show how highly rated McKenna is rated by the club officials too? I wonder if they see him as a potential next Manchester United manager?

Anyways, full credit to Mourinho for promoting him. The constant ability to change his coaching staff and get fresh idea made Fergie the managerial god that he was, hopefully this helps Mourinho too. Also, any youngster which is integrated in the first team will also have an easier pathway now since McKenna is on the coaching staff. I trust Nicky Butt and Co. to get a good replacement for the u18s.
The main concern by many people is the input that McKenna will have in the training tactics.

However, this sort of 'promotion' under Mourinho is not new, as the main example is when he was at Chelsea he promoted Brendan Rodgers. Add the fact Faria is not an assistant manager anymore, McKenna will have even more input than if Faria was here. Also, he has considerably more tactical nous than Carrick (he is literally there to learn and impart some past experiences on players) and the fitness coach from Sampdoria, Stefano Rapetti. This would mean his say will probably more taken in than most. However he needs to build a rapport first. He will have a great impact and people will see a more fluid and attacking play next season. Again, this will depend on Mourinho because Rodgers and Mourinho have completely different styles; I didn't see Mourinho play the same fluid football at Chelsea that we know Brendon Rodgers likes his team's to play with.

There is so much 'ifs' and 'buts' that it is literally down to Mourinho and his willingness to give more of a say to others and be influenced by the people around him. He has no Faria and people actually underestimate the impact he will have leaving. It's like separating from someone you love and there is a huge void in your life. Hopefully it will get filled with new ideas and not the same repetition.

Mourinho gave Villas-Boas the leg-up too at Porto and Inter when it came to scouting initially. However they did have falling out and again, the style of play that Villas-Boas likes to play normally was not seen when under Mourinho; this tells you Mourinho really does have the final say.

Mourinho always refreshed his backroom staff in all his clubs, maybe even more than Ferguson.

All in all, this appointment can ONLY help whatever mess we have here at the club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You're right, you need a bloke who is willing to fall in line with his boss when necessary but surely a manager will look to build a team with members who can bring different things to the table.

I think anyone suddenly expecting scintillating football from us on the back of this one appointment is well wide of the mark but at the moment I choose to believe this is a positive appointment based on Jose understanding the need for a new blend of voices around him, rather than wanting somebody cheap who already knows where the stopcock is to put the cones out.
I don't think that's ever the case with Faria, most managers knows the value of a good assistant and I doubt any seasoned manager would just pick an assistant just to put out cones. Why would you make your own job harder by picking someone you don't trust and offers no input to your job?

I'd take anyone saying a manager only picks a yes man with a grain of salt.

Rajma

Happy with this given the comments on him from some of the posters on here, hopefully Jose takes on board some of his ideas for next season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't think that's ever the case with Faria, most managers knows the value of a good assistant and I doubt any seasoned manager would just pick an assistant just to put out cones. Why would you make your own job harder by picking someone you don't trust and offers no input to your job?

I'd take anyone saying a manager only picks a yes man with a grain of salt.
Agreed, that wasn't to say Faria was some kind of cone carrier. I'm just pre-empting talk of McKenna, as an internal promotion from our junior ranks, being some sort of cheap fudge. I see this as a strong, proactive appointment for the future good of the club.

SirFergie

What’s modern about Carrick? He has played under older managers his whole life. He isn’t going to suddenly have a ‘modern’ outlook on things. Whatever ‘modern’ means anyway.
Sorry but I don't even know what that is supposed to mean?

haram

Sorry but I don't even know what that is supposed to mean?
I dont think Carrick can offer that fresh a view. I dont think his views and approach will be ‘modern’ like the person I quoted is suggesting. Why would it be modern?

SirFergie

I dont think Carrick can offer that fresh a view. I dont think his views and approach will be ‘modern’ like the person I quoted is suggesting. Why would it be modern?
Your justification for that was saying that he'd played under "older managers" his whole life so his view wouldn't be 'modern' :lol:

As if all "older" managers are, specifically the ones that Carrick played under, Tony Pulis.

Pyro19

I really hope this means that Jose is evolving.

I really really hope that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's literally JUST retired, and JUST started doing his coaching badges within the last few years, how much more modern can you get than that FFS :lol:

he's his own man, i'm sure he has plenty of MODERN ideas to bring to the table.

L1nk

Didn't Mourinho himself say the assistant role would be filled from someone outside the club?

SirAF

Ageist
Didn't Mourinho himself say the assistant role would be filled from someone outside the club?
No. He said he was going to bring in a fitness coach from outside the club, and that there’s not going to be a formal #2. You could say that Faria has been replaced by three people: Carrick, McKenna and Rapetti from Sampdoria.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I really hope this means that Jose is evolving.

I really really hope that.
one can only hope. Also gives a reason to players for not creating a fuss. Carrick and McKenna are from the club and they wouldn't want any mutiny stuff

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Jose is knackered, He's been through a lot so He's bringing in Kieran McKennackered to get rid of it.
Reverse psychology.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Love the appointment of McKenna and Carrick. Like everybody has already said fresh ideas in attack and well liked United lads. Carrick will work well with the players as he was already a leader and by the sounds of it has already rubbed off on Pogba.

McKenna should give the youth players he’s worked with some excitement with a clearer parh to the first team.

Anyone know this Sampdoria fella? Is he just a fitness coach?

Only positives here.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
It's a very exciting appointment. Also goes to show how highly rated McKenna is rated by the club officials too? I wonder if they see him as a potential next Manchester United manager?

Anyways, full credit to Mourinho for promoting him. The constant ability to change his coaching staff and get fresh idea made Fergie the managerial god that he was, hopefully this helps Mourinho too. Also, any youngster which is integrated in the first team will also have an easier pathway now since McKenna is on the coaching staff. I trust Nicky Butt and Co. to get a good replacement for the u18s.
For Every McKenna there is Sbragia so fingers crossed

stu_1992

Good news for McKenna and hopefully he can have a good impact on the squad. Bit of a shame to see him leave the U18s squad though, as he was doing great with them.