Kieran McKenna / Ipswich manager

AFC NimbleThumb

Will be illuminating to see how a McKenna led team play. He caught flack under the old regime but in the dying embers stories came out to distance themselves so I’ll be watching Ipswich with interest should this happen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What? They're a complete basket-case of a club (and coming from a Wednesday supporter that's saying something), they were already in a bad enough state and Paul Cook has left them even worse.

No sane manager will go anywhere near them and would be a terrible choice for a first management job.

He'll need more than good luck if he's to succeed there.
They’re historically a big club that’s what I mean.

red_de_pologne

He had a purple patch and, since the Euros, is right back to where he was before. He is having a poor season.
So you're saying his great form in the 2 seasons pre Euros was just a patch and his current, abysmal form (just like most of the team) is his actual level?

That is incredibly harsh.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
So you're saying his great form in the 2 seasons pre Euros was just a patch and his current, abysmal form (just like most of the team) is his actual level?

That is incredibly harsh.
I think it was good form and became great form for about a a year. I am willing to concede that and give them the benefit of the doubt (Shaw could well be suffering the effects of too much football post-Euros)

But on the whole, that’s only a second player added to the list who have actually improved under their stewardship. Players like Martial and Rashford have been let down by the club.

Playing for a club like United should entitle you to some of the best coaching around to truly make the most of your talents.

Its three wasted years under novice coaches and that could prove crucial for a number of players in the squad who were still in their formative years.

el3mel

Good luck to him. Hope he succeeds there. Best for everyone. We needed a clear out of the coaching stuff and it's good that it's coming from them rather than the club.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Surprised they're going for him rather than Carrick but there you go, good luck to him if he gets the job.
Carrick said he’s taking time out that he had promised his family once he had retired. Would be surprised if we saw him back coaching this season.

red_de_pologne

I think it was good form and became great form for about a a year. I am willing to concede that and give them the benefit of the doubt (Shaw could well be suffering the effects of too much football post-Euros)

But on the whole, that’s only a second player added to the list who have actually improved under their stewardship. Players like Martial and Rashford have been let down by the club.

Playing for a club like United should entitle you to some of the best coaching around to truly make the most of your talents.

Its three wasted years under novice coaches and that could prove crucial for a number of players in the squad who were still in their formative years.
I share the same view on the rest, I believe actually Shaw improved despite poor coaching.

Not only the players lacked quality coaching, they were also horribly mismanaged - either overplayed even when half injured or barely recovered or not played at all and then judged on 3-5 minutes here and there. Add to that zero development of talented youth players and playing players out of position.

SAF is the GOAT

I really don't see any possibility right now that RR won't consider or go for Jesse Marsch

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Thats a good opportunity for him and good luck to him. No more confusing him with Phil Neville after a few pints. (bloke down our local actually calls him '3pints Phil Neville' when a match is on'.)

dpansheth

Hopefully he goes there and plays some good football.

Would shut up a lot of the armchair coaches/managers in here
Absolutely.. a great opportunity for him to learn & grow more.. and I’ll be extremely happy for him if he proves folks like me wrong.

Acole9

Outstanding
Wait they're in L1? Always thought they were an eternal Championship club. What a fall from grace.
They were when McCarthy was in charge. I know a lot of Ipswich and they were moaning non stop and were glad when he was sacked. I said to some of them be careful what you wish for and I think the following season they got relegated and haven't been back since.

Acole9

Outstanding
Thats a good opportunity for him and good luck to him. No more confusing him with Phil Neville after a few pints. (bloke down our actually calls him '3pints Phil Neville'.
I call him Phil Neville sometimes. Does look like him to be fair.

Abraxas

Southgate had no experience at coaching at any level when he took the Boro job.

Viali was player/manager at Chelsea.

If we count interims, there's loads more.
Yes, but they had some kind of notoriety in football.

Kieran McKenna does not spring to mind for a premiership football club. Or even a championship football club, quite clearly. That's why the team that is knocking is Ipswich Town and his realistic chances of a premiership job were astronomically small. Yes it's possible but the chances are a lot closer to 0 than 100% likely no matter how long he coaches United for.

If you look at these examples and try to work out why they might have been appointed there is often a romanticism/reputation as a player that makes the appointment palatable to fans and marketable. Or some kind of experience under a genius manager combined with playing experience that leads to hopeful optimism said manager is the second coming (Arteta).

There is usually some kind of reason a chairman makes the decision he does even if it proves to be completely erroneous. They don't just produce a Kieran McKenna out of a hat at Prem level.

pacifictheme

Surprised they're going for him rather than Carrick but there you go, good luck to him if he gets the job.
Carrick said he wanted time off so likely isn't looking for a job, might not try for anything for a while if ever.

justsomebloke

If this is true, it means RR is here to stay longer than 6 months as manager. No management going to allow any interim this much freedom to overhaul the whole full setup. That leaves Phelan. Always thought he was more manager material than mckenna. But okay.
No one's overhauling anything. He's just getting an offer from Ipswich, nothing to do with Rangnick.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Yes, but they had some kind of notoriety in football.

Kieran McKenna does not spring to mind for a premiership football club. Or even a championship football club, quite clearly. That's why the team that is knocking is Ipswich Town and his realistic chances of a premiership job were astronomically small. Yes it's possible but the chances are a lot closer to 0 than 100% likely no matter how long he coaches United for.

If you look at these examples and try to work out why they might have been appointed there is often a romanticism/reputation as a player that makes the appointment palatable to fans and marketable. Or some kind of experience under a genius manager combined with playing experience that leads to hopeful optimism said manager is the second coming (Arteta).

There is usually some kind of reason a chairman makes the decision he does even if it proves to be completely erroneous. They don't just produce a Kieran McKenna out of a hat at Prem level.
It could be a clever punt at that League 1 level. McKenna will have in depth knowledge of the youth and reserve squads at Utd and as he would most likely leave on good terms he would be able to tap into the loan resource at Utd and maybe some lads that get released.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Southgate had no experience at coaching at any level when he took the Boro job.

Viali was player/manager at Chelsea.

If we count interims, there's loads more.
The key word the post you are replying to is 'unheralded'. Plenty of ex-players get a step-up above where they realistically should, purely because of their name value and the hope that they learnt something good from the managers they played for. But for basically a no-name guy like McKenna it's a much more difficult scenario.

His best chance is going to Ipswich, getting them back into the Championship and then either promoting them again to the Premiership or (perhaps more likely) doing well enough that another top Championship team signs him and he promotes them. And in the meantime he'll get a few years experience of managing at the adult level.

Ludens the Red

How taking a managerial work from a third division team is a "great opportunity"?

I mean coaches need to start up somewhere, but 3rd division? No matter how well he does no premier team will look into it, the best he can aim it's either going up with Ipswich to the championship or doing well enough so a championship team notice him.

I think it's a step down really, my logic says you're closer to manage a premier league team if you work as a coach in a top team than as a manager of a third division team.
To be fair it is. Ipswich are a massive club at that level.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Good on him if he takes it.

Not many supposed 'poor coaches' get scouted for managerial positions.

Will be a chance for McKenna to maybe show people why he is a highly regarded coach.

I'd imagine our form won't improve too much with him gone either.
I suppose Phelan will be the next scapegoat.

0le

If he leaves, best of luck and I hope he does well at Ipswich.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For me it means the next manager will bring in his own people.
Exactly, and Pochettino for example, has a team of coaches that have been alongside him since the Espanyol days.

Acole9

Outstanding
We'll probably need to buy an ipad as I reckon he'll probably take his with him.

Fanta Stick

What? They're a complete basket-case of a club (and coming from a Wednesday supporter that's saying something), they were already in a bad enough state and Paul Cook has left them even worse.

No sane manager will go anywhere near them and would be a terrible choice for a first management job.

He'll need more than good luck if he's to succeed there.
Aren't Town's new owners kajillionaires?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I share the same view on the rest, I believe actually Shaw improved despite poor coaching.

Not only the players lacked quality coaching, they were also horribly mismanaged - either overplayed even when half injured or barely recovered or not played at all and then judged on 3-5 minutes here and there. Add to that zero development of talented youth players and playing players out of position.
Yeah, I agree totally with that. It was easily my biggest frustration. Really hard to sit through and know it was happpening, but that nothing would be done about it. While at the same time, wanting the team to win!

The Dane

Starting watching English football in the late 70’s clubs like Ipswich, Coventry, Derby and Nottingham Forest are clubs that I would like to see back in the best league replacing clubs like Burnley and Brighton

Acole9

Outstanding
Aren't Town's new owners kajillionaires?
Not sure but they own a club in America. From what I've heard from their fans who I work with they're quite ambitious. They were happy to work with Cook but the results have been poor. I think the fans wanted Warnock but I can't imagine he would've been willing to drop down to League One.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Best for both sides, really.

We might actually see someone United related participate in some football over Xmas.

Acole9

Outstanding
Bit of a shame really as I was supposed to be going to their match this weekend. My mate is a Sunderland fan and was gonna get me a ticket but I'm skint at the moment.

SirMattlives

Good luck to him, a position like this is probably hard to decline, However, the opportunity to learn from RR at United should be considered - will he ever get a chance like that again?

RuudTom83

Players have gotten away with so much over the years at United. The same coaches that coached the team to 2nd took 99.99% of the blame for the performances this season, which I don't agree with.

If he does go then it clear up any overlap from Ole and Ralf so in a way it might be best. All the best to him (IF he does leave)

choccy77

Makes a mockery of keeping Ole on 3 weeks longer than necessary as the coaching setup all leaving as is the DNA

Acole9

Outstanding
Martyn Pert is also in advanced talks with Ipswich apparently so that's another one of Solskjaer's coaches potentially gone.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wonder what Ipswich are thinking there?
Without being harsh, surely our coaching team aren't currently at the peak of interest after Oleball this season!?