Kieran Tierney

Web of Bissaka

I like him. Get him before our rivals does, and let him duke it out with Shaw for the first choice LB.

Impressive prospect, natural LB. Maybe inconsistent and need adapting at first though, could be struggling early games with us.

Good replacement IF Shaw is leaving just in case. If not, will still give good competition and who knows Shaw would finally raise his game.

PoTMS

Robertson is class but Tierney is definitely better. He'd cost Shaw levels of money and has roughly the same level of hype Shaw had before we signed him. The only difference being Tierney's attitude is top rate and the fact he's already captained Celtic and Scotland at such a young age shows he's got a good set of shoulders. I'm so disappointed in Shaw. He could've been a United and England legend for years to come but he pissed it all away. Yes, the injury didn't help but if reports are to be believed, his attitude stinks.

Kostov

Be so much better if we had an Evra at 31 ish so Tierny could come in as you say and settle for a season. The boy is such a good player it’s worth the risk but I think a Sandro would be a safer option due to experience and performance levels. Although won’t be disappointed with Tierny he’s a star.
I agree, it should have been done when Shaw came in but Evra had different plans it seems. If I had to choose between Tierney and Sandro, I'd go for the Scotsman. I rate Sandro as a good player currently, but Tierney has bigger potential and is already a very good player.
He's definitely better than Robertson.
Wasn't Tierney preferred for the LB position in the national team?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd prefer Sandro, after spending 4 years waiting on Shaw's potential I'd prefer we buy a guaranteed quantity this time

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree, it should have been done when Shaw came in but Evra had different plans it seems. If I had to choose between Tierney and Sandro, I'd go for the Scotsman. I rate Sandro as a good player currently, but Tierney has bigger potential and is already a very good player.

To be fair both Robertson and Tierney are Scotland’s best players and unfortunately both play left back. Tierney is more adaptable and can play right back but not anywhere near the same level as left back a bit like Darmain position wise but opposite sides although much better. He has also played as a left of a back three like Walker vs Holland but he was just ok and had a poor game vs England at Parkhead (I went to that game).
I’ve watched him many a time and been impressed and speak to guys who play against him who say he’s unbelievable and the real deal.
Been the best Scottish prospect up here I’ve seen from this league since Craig Gordon imo who was unlucky with injuries or would have easily been a top 6 GK in the premiership.

SambaBoy

Is he right footed or left?

Only seen him play a handful of games for Celtic at LB, but quite sure he was right-footed? For Scotland, he plays RB but he has never impressed me in that position when I have seen him.

Got family up in Scotland who are all Celtic fans, and they rate this kid highly and think he would be a great addition for United. Seems like he has the mentality to play for us too, it wouldn't be a massive jump up for him in that aspect as he is a boyhood Celtic fan who came through the ranks to captain his club and country at a young age.

Kostov

To be fair both Robertson and Tierney are Scotland’s best players and unfortunately both play left back. Tierney is more adaptable and can play right back but not anywhere near the same level as left back a bit like Darmain position wise but opposite sides although much better. He has also played as a left of a back three like Walker vs Holland but he was just ok and had a poor game vs England at Parkhead (I went to that game).
I’ve watched him many a time and been impressed and speak to guys who play against him who say he’s unbelievable and the real deal.
Been the best Scottish prospect up here I’ve seen from this league since Craig Gordon imo who was unlucky with injuries or would have easily been a top 6 GK in the premiership.
Unlucky that, let's see how it pens out. Personally he is my favorite if we bring a new LB this summer and I hope there is some truth in this story.

Litch

I'd prefer Sandro, after spending 4 years waiting on Shaw's potential I'd prefer we buy a guaranteed quantity this time
Agree. The only people we should be waiting on are in our youth ranks. Everyone in the first team squad need to be prem/CL ready.

Web of Bissaka

Is he right footed or left?

Only seen him play a handful of games for Celtic at LB, but quite sure he was right-footed? For Scotland, he plays RB but he has never impressed me in that position when I have seen him.

Got family up in Scotland who are all Celtic fans, and they rate this kid highly and think he would be a great addition for United. Seems like he has the mentality to play for us too, it wouldn't be a massive jump up for him in that aspect as he is a boyhood Celtic fan who came through the ranks to captain his club and country at a young age.
Seems to be left-footed, but possibly, ambidextrous. His use of his right foot seems fine. Tend to use his left more naturally than his right.

luke511

Agree. The only people we should be waiting on are in our youth ranks. Everyone in the first team squad need to be prem/CL ready.
The mentality of buying shiny new toys that have been there and done that over players that have it all to prove needs to change if we're to get back to winning ways in the league in my opinion. We need players that aren't here because they've been offered massive money, which will be the case if we sign Sandro.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we sign him, I don't want to hear any bullshit about him not being ready for the league while we still persist with Young.

Bwuk

Don't agree that he's better than Robertson, I would say they are probably at a similar level.

He's a better player than Shaw though.

Adisa

The mentality of buying shiny new toys that have been there and done that over players that have it all to prove needs to change if we're to get back to winning ways in the league in my opinion. We need players that aren't here because they've been offered massive money, which will be the case if we sign Sandro.
Sandro might really want to come here.
To be honest, if Tierney isn't 100% ready for our XI, I don't want.

Litch

Is there a modern player that doesn't move for massive money? So trebling his money won't be a factor on him moving here cause I'll 100% guarantee he won't move for the same money he's on now. It's about proven quality as currently we only have one proven WC player, and others we are still waiting on for it to happen.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
ive seen him a few times and he looks a really good player. Albeit in the SPL.

Might be worth a punt - he could turn into a very good player

Lawman

Seems to be left-footed, but possibly, ambidextrous. His use of his right foot seems fine. Tend to use his left more naturally than his right.
No he struggles on his right well struggle is a stretch he gets by much like Darmian at left back. This kid is a brilliant prospect a shame we couldn’t get him under an Evra for a season first. If it’s a straight choice between Rose or Tierney then Tierney for me as this kid could become anything. It’s a very similar situation to when we were signing Shaw just hopefully it has a better outcome.

Lawman

In what way? Robertson seems to have a fantastic engine and delivery for example.
He’s good going forward but not as good attacking as Robertson but much stronger in the tackle and defensively. He’s also a very powerful runner and very comfortable on the ball. He takes great pride in no one getting past him his attitude is spot on. Everything you’d want in a young player really. Nowhere near the finished article but would instantly upgrade our team if he displays the same form at Ot to what he’s been showing at Parkhead.

charlenefan

The players that have it all to prove need proven winners playing alongside them to get them over the line, far too few of our players have title winning experience and those that do bar De Gea are the ones who's heads are on the chopping block to be sold

Zlatattack

Agree.

The other thing is, i'm not sure about the quality of football in Scotland. Mitchell looked world class at Hearts until he got injured. He might well go onto be a great player, but he's just a promising youth player here.

stevoc

The players that have it all to prove need proven winners playing alongside them to get them over the line, far too few of our players have title winning experience and those that do bar De Gea are the ones who's heads are on the chopping block to be sold
I'm not sure thats one of our main problems. I think we must have at least 10-12 players who have won one or more league titles, either at United or their previous clubs.

Gordon S

I don´t think Shaw´s problems should have any bearings on our next buy for LB.
If our scouts are doing a good job, his age and current league should really be irrelevant.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In what way? Robertson seems to have a fantastic engine and delivery for example.
There's not a lot between them. Robertson has more guile going forward and is classier on the ball, whereas Tierney is more dynamic and a bit quicker. Neither are defensively superb, both with room for improvement with Tierney looking a little ropey at times this season and Robertson a bit patchy in that respect at Hull. But both have loads of potential and are already performing to a standard better than the majority of left-backs in the Premier League. Robertson's sustained portfolio of higher level performances this season puts him ahead IMO, but Tierney, for the most part, hasn't looked out of place in the big CL nights either.
He's had the handbrake on at right-back for Scotland. Does a passable job in the absence of any credible alternatives, but doesn't look comfortable there understandably yet.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

We used to play Robertson at RB. Think Strachan would just go with whichever one he fancied right or left on the day. Not sure what The new regime will have us do, but they are two of our best players so imagine unless someone comes through at RB they’ll both just rotate that spot.

I like Tierney Just as a Scotsman I want to see him develop and play and I just kinda have a fear under Jose he won’t.

TrueRed79

Any LB would be better than Shaw. How people can try and defend Shaw around here anymore is laughable. He's finished at Utd. Tierney would be a great addition and i'd prefer him over Sandro. We need more British players in our squad and this guy is Captain of Celtic and Scotland at 21. He's clearly got loads of talent and i reckon the right attitude to settle here quickly.

haram

Any LB would be better than Shaw. How people can try and defend Shaw around here anymore is laughable. He's finished at Utd. Tierney would be a great addition and i'd prefer him over Sandro. We need more British players in our squad and this guy is Captain of Celtic and Scotland at 21. He's clearly got loads of talent and i reckon the right attitude to settle here quickly.
Is Scott Brown not the captain?

charlenefan

I'm not sure thats one of our main problems. I think we must have at least 10-12 players who have won one or more league titles, either at United or their previous clubs.
De Gea
Jones
Smalling
Valencia
Young
Carrick
Pogba (Juve)
Sanchez (Barca)
Rojo? (Sporting)
Blind? (Ajax)

I dont think the list is as big as you think and bar Carrick I'm not sure any qualify as serial winners in the same vein the likes of Neville, Scholes, Keane and Giggs were when the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo were coming through

Sanche7

How good is he at crossing?
From the highlights videos he looks like he prefers cut backs

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He does but KT has those too and is also a very good defender which is an area where Robertson is really lacking IMO. Tierney's only 20 as well so can improve so much more yet.

I know YT vids can make anyone look good but this is actually a good one for him and has plenty of CL footage.

0:30 shows his attacking ability in which he turns into Messi
The two goals at 1:16 and 1:27 where he turns into Ronaldo
6:12 he puts James on his arse, blows past Tolisso and crumples Vidal :D

The other video doesn't seem to show his assist v Anderlecht this season which is the first highlight in this one.

Adisa

Hearing some suggestions, he isn't left footed.
Should be a killer if that's the case.

stevoc

De Gea
Jones
Smalling
Valencia
Young
Carrick
Pogba (Juve)
Sanchez (Barca)
Rojo? (Sporting)
Blind? (Ajax)

I dont think the list is as big as you think and bar Carrick I'm not sure any qualify as serial winners in the same vein the likes of Neville, Scholes, Keane and Giggs were when the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo were coming through
I think it's De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Valencia, Young and Carrick at United.

Matic, Fellaini, Romero, Blind, Sanchez, Rojo, Lindelof, Pogba at other clubs.

I said 10-12 it's actually 14, so the list wasn't as big as i thought. Yeah none of them are serial winners, and we can thank Van Gaal for stripping a shit load of title winning experience from the squad. But having said that very few teams who haven't won a league title in a while ever have the luxury of multiple serial winners within the squad. City don't have many if any players who have won more than 1-2 leagues titles in England or elsewhere either.

You have to start somewhere, United didn't have many titles winners in 93.

Fingeredmouse

Hearing some suggestions, he isn't left footed.
Should be a killer if that's the case.
He is certainly left footed...and generally excellent. His right is weaker and as such he struggles at right back, where he has played albeit unsuccessfully. He is strong both going forward and defensively, he is pacey and strong and is a clever player with good stamina and character. He'd be a brilliant buy.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
De Gea
Jones
Smalling
Valencia
Young
Carrick
Pogba (Juve)
Sanchez (Barca)
Rojo? (Sporting)
Blind? (Ajax)

Matic
Fellaini (Liege)
Romero (AZ)
Lindelof (Benfica)

The core of our starters have won the title - either here or at another country. Rojo didn't win the league at Sporting but he did at Estudiantes. He said 10-12 players and 14 have. City have a similar number of players, though they have more who have won the title multiple times.

De Gea
Valencia XX Smalling Young
Pogba Matic
XX XX Alexis
XX​

Big chunk of our starting XI who have won the league.

izec

Would take him in a heartbeat. Young and talented British left back for relatively cheap money that can be here for many years to come with plenty of room for improvement. Plus no fat arse and good attitude seeing he is already a captain at such a young age. It might have not worked out with Shaw, but this lad looks like someone ready to step up.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

I said 10-12 it's actually 14, so the list wasn't as big as i thought. Yeah none of them are serial winners, and we can thank Van Gaal for stripping a shit load of title winning experience from the squad. But having said that very few teams who haven't won a league title in a while ever have the luxury of multiple serial winners within the squad. City don't have many if any players who have won more than 1-2 leagues titles in England or elsewhere either.

And Leicester won the league with maybe one or two max who won it in another league (at a push). Leicester are a bit of an anomaly though.

charlenefan

Dunno how I completely forgot about Matic :nervous: