Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

My read on this is that it’s virtually done. English journo’s probs don’t have the contacts with Kim Min-Jae’s agent like the Italians do, hence why the vast majority of leaks have come from Italy.

Utd themselves probably don’t want to give away too much given we’re 3 weeks away from being able to activate the clause and nothing is ever for certain.

Romano talking about it gives some backing to the rumours we’ve been hearing and it sounds like Todibo or Disasi are going to be our plan B. Don’t know much about either of those apart from Todibo being a bit of a wonderkid previously, who looked like he was going in the wrong direction but seems to have kicked on now?
English journalists are the most credible source of information for United , irrespective of who breaks the news regarding United's interest in player if it's genuine it's quickly gets corroborated by Usual suspects like Ducker , Whitwell etc .

And so far none of these have made even a passing mention of Min-Jae despite it being propped up by Italian Sources for quite some and even Trusted Italian Sources have refrained from latching onto it .

I wouldn't put too much stock into Romano's words he hardly gets any scoops about United right .

DownRiver

Kim Min-jae has had the most touches in the middle third of the pitch in Serie A. Crazy.

dubplate warrior

Kim Min-jae has had the most touches in the middle third of the pitch in Serie A. Crazy.
Having a defender who could carry the ball and also alongside with Martinez distribute to a high level would improve us massively. Physically a beast too, one of those players whose attributes can help improve the general play.

Reyoji-Utd

Like a crash course for the military must be a right laugh that,fire a gun,drive a tank for 5 mins,climb a wall run with a heavy back pack etc.
No special rules for any footballers as long as they win major international trophy for them to exempt from it. Son won the medal in 2008 (i think Olympic). Military service is very strict for Korean because they are still at war (categorically speaking). We just have to see all the top Kpop stars that have to go through M.service when they are at the top of their fame.

saivet

We don’t have to wait till July through? We could enter an agreement to pay the release clause which will be active in July? All the reports just talk about him being on the radar or a priority rather than being any closer to signing him.
Must be waiting for Maguire's future to be resolved first?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just don't really believe this one but ok... Like I wouldn't be upset, he's quality, good age, but we have Varane who is world class already. Injury prone, but he's fit for more than half the season anyway. And Lindelof is a very able deputy. Doesn't make sense to replace him yet.

MadMike

Don't know a great deal about him but statistically he looks a beast as a playmaking CB. Something clearly ETH loves.

Though overall, you have to wonder if chasing another CB should be our priority. Kinda same concern as with Mount. We fans seem to think we need a CF, a #6/#8 and a GK as priority. Yet the club seems to be prioritising (or mostly making in-roads at least) towards a CB and a #10/#8.

In this particular position we also have Varane who is only 30, has couple more years of contract and is on >£300k pw. We also had the best defence last season, bar Newcastle. So legitimate question marks about prioritising such a transfer, even if there's no question marks about the target himself.

Zoo

Makes a lot of sense. Varane is getting on now and has to be carefully managed, realistically he can't play more then one game a week.

Appletonred

Would be an astute signing and an upgrade on both Maguire and Lindelof, also there's no denying the commercial factor, whoever the owners are.

GoldanoGraham

Must be waiting for Maguire's future to be resolved first?
I think that the release clause doesn't come into effect until 1st July - therefore I don't beieve we can actually officially sign the player or openly discuss this until that time. Im sure that all the details will be agreed and then its just a case of depositing the buy out clause on the activation date and then its done.

Getting rid of Maguire before this is done would definately be preferable though as his value will diminish even more once we sign anoyher CB.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Are we potentially switching to City's new formation?

3 CB's with a further CB being deployed as a ball playing DM ala John Stones. This Korean guy is meant to be very very accomplished on the ball isn't he and likes to get forward on the ball a lot.

Varane Martinez Shaw as the 3 starting CB's with Lindelof in reserve.

Could work.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

3 CB's with a further CB being deployed as a ball playing DM ala John Stones. This Korean guy is meant to be very very accomplished on the ball isn't he and likes to get forward on the ball a lot.

Could work.
City's new formation caters to their lack of traditional full backs (bar Walker) and wanting to create overloads while still fielding Haaland.

I don't think the 3-2-4-1 is suited to our team.

But even with a back 4, having 2 excellent ball playing defenders opens up the field for us. I'm not opposed to this acquisition. Not at the expense of a striker or keeper or midfielder though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
City's new formation caters to their lack of traditional full backs (bar Walker) and wanting to create overloads while still fielding Haaland.

But even with a back 4, having 2 excellent ball playing defenders opens up the field for us. I'm not opposed to this acquisition. Not at the expense of a striker or keeper or midfielder though.
I disagree. Our fullbacks aren't very good in the modern game. Wan Bissaka is a waste of space with the ball at his feet so this solves that issue. Shaw also isn't the best in attack and he's proved he can play the CB role well.

aeh1991

Could work.
I would rather use Licha as the ball playing DM in that case.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I would rather use Licha as the ball playing DM in that case.
Maybe so. However this Kim fella is meant to be better on the ball from what I'm reading. He's recorded an insane number of progressive passes in the opposing half this season.

justsomebloke

With a back 4, what that move does is push Varane to the bench and Lindelof more or less out of the picture. Plus makes selling Maguire a necessity. All in all, that seems to me to create new and essentially unnecessary transfer and squad problems, on top of the multitude we already have.

So, it's a bit of a puzzler to me. I can see only three plausible explanations, who are not mutually exclusive. One is that Lindelof wants to leave, and they've agreed to let him, and/or they are really confident they can move Maguire. Another is that they're simply so high on Kim that they've decided to get him now while the opportunity is there (release clause), and that it'll ultimately be worth the fallout. The third is that ETH is indeed contemplating some sort of formational adjustment that he would fit into.

The_Midfielder

With a back 4, what that move does is push Varane to the bench and Lindelof more or less out of the picture. Plus makes selling Maguire a necessity. All in all, that seems to me to create new and essentially unnecessary transfer and squad problems, on top of the multitude we already have.

So, it's a bit of a puzzler to me. I can see only three plausible explanations, who are not mutually exclusive. One is that Lindelof wants to leave, and they've agreed to let him, and/or they are really confident they can move Maguire. Another is that they're simply so high on Kim that they've decided to get him now while the opportunity is there (release clause), and that it'll ultimately be worth the fallout. The third is that ETH is indeed contemplating some sort of formational adjustment that he would fit into.
Maguire will be moved..
Eth has preferred Shaw there, over him .

justsomebloke

Maguire will be moved..
Eth has preferred Shaw there, over him .
I have no doubt whatsoever that the club wants to move Maguire. Whether they can move him is a different matter. That requires a willing buyer that Maguire is prepared to move to, and who's ready to pay whatever United deems to be the minimum requirement.

Crimson King

The 4th explanation is that Varane can't play 3 games in a week without putting his body at serious risk of breaking down.

Varane is a great defender and the step down in quality from him to Maguire and Lindelof is quite sharp. Signing someone who can actually compete for a starting spot, and not just be there in case of injury, will help manage Varane's minutes and also provide healthy competition, to both Varane and Martinez.

This seems far more likely an explanation than some kind of radical formation switch, especially one that would mean sacrificing an attacking player in a team that has struggled to score goals.

justsomebloke

The 4th explanation is that Varane can't play 3 games in a week without putting his body at serious risk of breaking down.

Varane is a great defender and the step down in quality from him to Maguire and Lindelof is quite sharp. Signing someone who can actually compete for a starting spot, and not just be there in case of injury, will help manage Varane's minutes and also provide healthy competition, to both Varane and Martinez.

This seems far more likely an explanation than some kind of radical formation switch, especially one that would mean sacrificing an attacking player in a team that has struggled to score goals.
Very true about Varane, but that still seems a bit overloaded to me, at least if Lindelof stays. I agree it's hard to envisage a back 3 (and I really hope we don't take that route), but I suppose there are other formational adjustments that would be possible. In the same vein as City this year.

Crimson King

Very true about Varane, but that still seems a bit overloaded to me, at least if Lindelof stays. I agree it's hard to envisage a back 3 (and I really hope we don't take that route), but I suppose there are other formational adjustments that would be possible. In the same vein as City this year.
You can't just suddenly switch to what City started doing this season. That was already a variation on what Pep has been doing for years, and with a stack of quality players to boot.

Having a beast up front capable of scoring 40 goals a season also makes it a much more viable approach.

We'll have to wait and see what Lindelof wants to do. I still think he'd get plenty of minutes. Wouldn't be surprised if he hung around for another season, at least.

justsomebloke

You can't just suddenly switch to what City started doing this season. That was already a variation on what Pep has been doing for years, and with a stack of quality players to boot.

Having a beast up front capable of scoring 40 goals a season also makes it a much more viable approach.

We'll have to wait and see what Lindelof wants to do. I still think he'd get plenty of minutes. Wouldn't be surprised if he hung around for another season, at least.
Not necessarily exactly what City has been doing. I'm just pointing out that some sort of formational adjustment is conceivable, and not necessarily in the form of a back 3.

The Red Thinker

To all those wondering why we're going after a top class CB before going after a striker or a midfielder, I say the following things:

- Tottenham scored 70 goals this season. We scored 58. But Tottenham conceded 63! we conceded 43, same as Arsenal in fact. Tied for second best. Point is having a strong, deep defence has more value than scored goals. We finished 3rd, Tottenham... well way off.

- Do we remember the February crisis? That Sevilla Europa League away game fecked us when we lost Lisandro and Varane in one night. It meant we had to go back to Maguire and Lindelof. Lindelof did well enough, but Maguire was shit and so we brought back Shaw to CB... weakening the rotation of the LB space and going all cards in at CB. THIS IS BAD! A club like Manchester United should be nowhere near this kind of crisis. 2 top quality players for each position is the norm for a top club. I still shudder thinking of us playing Dalot at LB for a couple of games! He did well... but that weakened our RB rotation... nightmare.

- Varane, who was injury prone for quite a few seasons at Madrid... became less so at United. But that doesn't mean as he ages it won't come back. He's 31 and will likely need his load to be managed. We have to prepare a role for Lindelof and (New player) to plug in for rest or injury reasons.

- Last point, we need more CBs for more tactical flexibility. I'm sure you would have heard of all the 'Back 3' theories. We need to have the ability to play like City do. To be able to play 3 CBs in a game when needed. 3 CBs good on the ball. Flexbility and foolproofing the defence is Rule Number 1 for a dominant season.

These are the reasons I believe United must move quickly and decisively for Kim Min-Jae. I hated that period from Feb to April. Without Lisandro our quality in possessions and defensive sturdiness fell so dramatically, we lost the composure needed to thrive. Add to that we're going after the backbone of the Serie A champions defence and someone who's still hitting his prime - FOR CHEAP! It all makes sense.

I just hope we get it done. Don't worry about Kim Min Jae becoming a Koulibaly. Koulibaly had lost his speed by the time he came to Chelsea. Kim has all the physical gifts to thrive. Who better than Raphael fecking Varane to learn from to prime himself for the permanent role of Manchester United Centre Back!

Reactions: Invictus

bosskeano

EtH isn't going to bring in Kim and sit him behind Varane. If Martinez is healthy, those two start otherwise it would be Kim and Varane

justsomebloke

To all those wondering why we're going after a top class CB before going after a striker or a midfielder, I say the following things:

- Tottenham scored 70 goals this season. We scored 58. But Tottenham conceded 63! we conceded 43, same as Arsenal in fact. Tied for second best. Point is having a strong, deep defence has more value than scored goals. We finished 3rd, Tottenham... well way off.

- Do we remember the February crisis? That Sevilla Europa League away game fecked us when we lost Lisandro and Varane in one night. It meant we had to go back to Maguire and Lindelof. Lindelof did well enough, but Maguire was shit and so we brought back Shaw to CB... weakening the rotation of the LB space and going all cards in at CB. THIS IS BAD! A club like Manchester United should be nowhere near this kind of crisis. 2 top quality players for each position is the norm for a top club. I still shudder thinking of us playing Dalot at LB for a couple of games! He did well... but that weakened our RB rotation... nightmare.

- Varane, who was injury prone for quite a few seasons at Madrid... became less so at United. But that doesn't mean as he ages it won't come back. He's 31 and will likely need his load to be managed. We have to prepare a role for Lindelof and (New player) to plug in for rest or injury reasons.

- Last point, we need more CBs for more tactical flexibility. I'm sure you would have heard of all the 'Back 3' theories. We need to have the ability to play like City do. To be able to play 3 CBs in a game when needed. 3 CBs good on the ball. Flexbility and foolproofing the defence is Rule Number 1 for a dominant season.

These are the reasons I believe United must move quickly and decisively for Kim Min-Jae. I hated that period from Feb to April. Without Lisandro our quality in possessions and defensive sturdiness fell so dramatically, we lost the composure needed to thrive. Add to that we're going after the backbone of the Serie A champions defence and someone who's still hitting his prime - FOR CHEAP! It all makes sense.

I just hope we get it done. Don't worry about Kim Min Jae becoming a Koulibaly. Koulibaly had lost his speed by the time he came to Chelsea. Kim has all the physical gifts to thrive. Who better than Raphael fecking Varane to learn from to prime himself for the permanent role of Manchester United Centre Back!
Your first point doesn't just make a case that a strong D is important, but also that we already have one. I'm not sure I'd see it as a crisis with Shaw and Lindelof at the back, nor with the impact on our FB rotation.
I don't doubt at all that Kim is a good signing, but the case for this being a clear top priority remains hard to see. But maybe it isn't really. Perhaps the thing is the expiring release clause causing the rush, rather than priorities. If they can move Maguire that'd finance a lot of it anyway.

daba

Maybe so. However this Kim fella is meant to be better on the ball from what I'm reading. He's recorded an insane number of progressive passes in the opposing half this season.
Kim is better at carrying the ball and breaking lines with his speed and strength.

Licha doesn’t have the same speed but is one of the best around in his position at breaking lines with his passes and through balls.

Kim is also a good passer and has good range, just slightly less technical and creative than Licha in that regard from what I’ve seen.

They’ll make a great pairing.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is that one a definite signing? Like are the sources reliable?

MadMike

I agree with some of your points, but a perhaps pedantic correction. Varane isn't 31 he just turned 30 couple of months ago. Which is also basically prime age for a CB. I don't think his load needs to be managed, CBs don't tend to cover too much ground during games. But we do need to have adequate cover for him.

justsomebloke

I agree with some of your points, but a perhaps pedantic correction. Varane isn't 31 he just turned 30 couple of months ago. Which is also basically prime age for a CB. I don't think his load needs to be managed, CBs don't tend to cover too much ground during games. But we do need to have adequate cover for him.
I think ETH is on record saying exactly that Varane's load needs to be managed, and selections do back that up.

quadrant

I don't understand this argument, this is an explanation as to why Spurs need a new CB, not United. As you say, we already have the joint 2nd best defence in the league, but 6 teams outscored us. Is that not an argument in favour of a striker?

These are all valid points as to why we need a CB in general, but they don't really explain why CB is a priority over an attacker or midfielder. Yes it was crap when we were forced to play Maguire and Lindelof at CB. But what about the FA Cup final where we brought on Weghurst and McTominay to try and grab a goal? I'd argue that's even worse.

Our first-choice defence is good, but our depth is poor. Up front, both the first team and the depth is poor. Its plain where we need to prioritise.

MadMike

I think ETH is on record saying exactly that Varane's load needs to be managed, and selections do back that up.
Really? I haven't read such a thing from ETH and a quick google search didn't yield any results. Do you have a link or any idea when that was said?

MadMike

I don't understand this argument, this is an explanation as to why Spurs need a new CB, not United. As you say, we already have the joint 2nd best defence in the league, but 6 teams outscored us. Is that not an argument in favour of a striker?

These are all valid points as to why we need a CB in general, but they don't really explain why CB is a priority over an attacker or midfielder. Yes it was crap when we were forced to play Maguire and Lindelof at CB. But what about the FA Cup final where we brought on Weghurst and McTominay to try and grab a goal? I'd argue that's even worse.
Correct on both accounts, for me.

Maybe we're just moving quicker on a CB because one we really like is immediately available for a good price and we might miss out on him. Like Liverpool went for Gakpo in Jan, despite needing midfielders significantly more. If we don't sign a CF and a CM by end of summer then I would begin to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.