Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil You Know

Harry is done here. We played our LB at CB because we didnt trust him enough to do the job. We need someone like Kim and Shaw needs to play at LB even he did great as CB.
Maguire is a RCB under Ten Hag. Shaw wasn't in direct competition with him.

At the moment, the order of preference for LCB is:
Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

And for RCB it's:
Varane
Maguire

TheLittleOne

Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

And for RCB it's:
Varane
Maguire
not really true. we played important games with lindelof varane or lindelöf shaw despite Harry being available

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
not really true. we played important games with lindelof varane or lindelof shaw despite Harry being available
It is true, ETH made it quite clear that he would play a left footed LCB and a right footed RCB as far as he could

Teja

I think he is a world class CB who is very strong, fast, and very good in defending, passing and progressive carries. And usually we don't get to sign such caliber of player who is good at almost everything, let alone for just a price of 40m.
I sound like Woodward, but it's a no-brainer just for the value the deal represents and I'm surprised the other top European clubs are not all over this. If nothing else Italian league winning CB, good in the CL should be enough to convince clubs to take a punt at that price.

To top all of that he would perfectly complement Martinez (good ball carrier, tall, fast, strong - none of those are true for Martinez).

We should agree personal terms ASAP and finish the deal on July 1 but knowing us, we'll start preparing the bid on July 1 and will run out of time given all of the ownership drama.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

And for RCB it's:
Varane
Maguire
Nope. If Varane is injured/available/benched, Lindelöf starts on the right ahead of Maguire.

Sheriff (H)
Sociedad (A)
Villa (A)
Fulham (A)
Villa (H)
Brighton (A)
West Ham (A)

Actually Lindelöf plays on the left only when he plays with Maguire. Otherwise he’s always on the right side.

TheLittleOne

It is true, ETH made it quite clear that he would play a left footed LCB and a right footed RCB as far as he could
he started 1 game in the last ten games when all except Martinez were available, the game we have already secured 4th place and we played for nothing. The very next game against city he was benched again.

https://www.manutd.com/en/matches/first-team/2022-23/all

But still means Maguire is always behind Shaw in the pecking order at centreback provided Lindelof and Dalot/Malacia are available.

ETH has shown already he would rather play AWB - Lindelof - Shaw - Dalot than anything featuring Maguire. Says it all.
Exactly. We opted to have somewhat of a weaker player compared to shaw on the left just so we could play him at CB...we rather gave Dalot or Malacia a run on the the left than play our captain and 80 M signing let that sink in. The trust is gone, he needs to move.

Last edited:

hobbers

But still means Maguire is always behind Shaw in the pecking order at centreback provided Lindelof and Dalot/Malacia are available.

ETH has shown already he would rather play AWB - Lindelof - Shaw - Dalot than anything featuring Maguire. Says it all.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

And for RCB it's:
Varane
Maguire
The LCB is true, but for the right it was basically Lindelof and Maguire alternating most of the season. Neither were really 'ahead'. I would say that Lindelof's form in the end of the season will have seen him move ahead in the pecking order there as well, albeit that form was while he was playing on the left.

Lindelof is right footed.

Bondi77

Harry is done here. We played our LB at CB because we didnt trust him enough to do the job. We need someone like Kim and Shaw needs to play at LB even when he did great as CB.
Have you seen any interested parties come forward for him or Victor as that was the point of the post because the wage bill is going to get even bigger with another CB on the books.

RedCurry

Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

And for RCB it's:
Varane
Maguire
I think the order is more like

RCB:
Varane
Lindelof
Maguire

LCB:
Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

Maguire is the weakest link here and will clearly be moved on while Kim should provide genuine competition for Varane.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Think this will happen rapid once it’s July. If it’s between us and Newcastle think he’ll choose us. I’ve heard PSG are also interested though. They need a replacement for Ramos. There is also the option of Napoli offering him a contract and removing his release clause.

TheLittleOne

Have you seen any interested parties come forward for him or Victor as that was the point of the post because the wage bill is going to get even bigger with another CB on the books.
So far, no :( and you are of course correct that one needs to go. My point was it will be Harry and not Lindelöf who will be out the door. Financially we will clearly get nowhere near as much as we paid for him. It will be best for us and himself if he leaves. Surely there must be a lesser team where he is welcomed?

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

And for RCB it's:
Varane
Maguire
Incorrect. The manager has himself said Lindelof can play both sides and Maguire only the right.

Maguire is done at United, he needs to leave pronto.

Ahmer Baig

Incorrect. The manager has himself said Lindelof can play both sides and Maguire only the right.

Maguire is done at United, he needs to leave pronto.
Send Maguire to Korea for military training instead of KMJ.

Bondi77

So far, no :( and you are of course correct that one needs to go. My point was it will be Harry and not Lindelöf who will be out the door. Financially we will clearly get nowhere near as much as we paid for him. It will be best for us and himself if he leaves. Surely there must be a lesser team where he is welcomed?
And we will get considerably more for Harry than Victor but the issue will be whether Harry will want to drop his wage by going to another club but that is an issue we have with quire a few other players as well.

roseguy64

He can play LCB or RCB? If that's the case I'd expect ten hag to rotate between the three with Varane especially having his minutes managed.

Lindelof and Maguire need to go if Kim comes in. Lindelof is fine but is a waste as a 4th CB
What? How is Lindelof a waste as a 4th CB? He's the only CB we have who's played as both LCB and RCB for Ten Hag.

Aint gota Kalou

What? How is Lindelof a waste as a 4th CB? He's the only CB we have who's played as both LCB and RCB for Ten Hag.
It's more of a waste for him. Think he's too good to play so few games (until our annual CB injury crisis). As I said earlier from a balance perspective it makes more sense to buy a high quality full back and have Shaw as our 4th CB. Presuming we sign Kim who can play both sides.

Rumours are Lindelof is looking to go already, being even further down the pecking order I think that'll make up his mind.

roseguy64

It's more of a waste for him. Think he's too good to play so few games (until our annual CB injury crisis). As I said earlier from a balance perspective it makes more sense to buy a high quality full back and have Shaw as our 4th CB. Presuming we sign Kim who can play both sides.

Rumours are Lindelof is looking to go already, being even further down the pecking order I think that'll make up his mind.
There will be enough game time for Lindelof. If he doesn't want to stay then we should get another CB in alongside KMJ rather than having Shaw be backup.

DJ_21

Been seeing reports of psg leading the race for him today. Hope that isn’t true. There should be no reason we lose out on this deal. We best not be waiting till we sell Maguire either or we’ll be waiting forever.

CloneMC16

Been seeing reports of psg leading the race for him today. Hope that isn’t true. There should be no reason we lose out on this deal. We best not be waiting till we sell Maguire either or we’ll be waiting forever.
Unfortunately, that might be what happens. The club probably doesn't want to have 5 first team CB's on the books.

DJ_21

Unfortunately, that might be what happens. The club probably doesn't want to have 5 first team CB's on the books.
We may lose out on him then. I think spurs are gonna see the backlash from there fans and decide not to sign him. Don’t know if there’s any more suitors?

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Nah, he's coming here. Provided the people upstairs don't screw this up.

CloneMC16

I rather listen to Souness do punditry than listen to Captain Obvious mate :lol:
I feel like the guy talks to his viewers like we're children? He says things really slowly. It's like he's trying to make sure we fully understand what he's saying.

He's always annoyed me.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Really Disagree with the last sentence. Addressing positions of need even if you overspend is how you improve ultimately. Kim min Jae vs Varane at RCB won't be a big difference, because we already have a world class player there. Addressing position of need means getting someone better than weghorst to be our center forward.... It's gonna have a much bigger impact.
Overpaying for an average CF because you “need” one is a terrible transfer strategy. I’m not saying we shouldn’t buy a CF for what it’s worth, just saying spending a bomb on the positions you “need” without getting a sure thing is at best very risky and at worst just bad business. Antony for 80m being a prime example.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Overpaying for an average CF because you “need” one is a terrible transfer strategy. I’m not saying we shouldn’t buy a CF for what it’s worth, just saying spending a bomb on the positions you “need” without getting a sure thing is at best very risky and at worst just bad business. Antony for 80m being a prime example.
I think Antony brings quite a lot and has a lot of room to grow, and we definitely miss him when he isn't there (given the alternative level is just painfully low). It might be frustrating expect world class output and getting "top 6 level performance", but at least we are getting top 6 level performance levels. We aren't getting Premier League level performance levels out of our CF at all. At CB, we are getting easily CL level performance levels.

My point is simply that even if your signing flops for big money relative to expectations, it's still a massive improvement to the team when your prior level was as bad as it is for us. There are literally over 20 strikers in the premier league alone who would start ahead of our options this season, which says a lot. It's a position where we can make "bad signings", but even these "bad signings" can improve us far more relative to what we have if we don't sign them compared to any other signing in our team (other than a goalkeeper who is also a really low level for us).

I get your point that he's a top player for a great price, but sometimes you just have to address the black hole in your team first as it really hinders everything else.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think Antony brings quite a lot and has a lot of room to grow, and we definitely miss him when he isn't there (given the alternative level is just painfully low). It might be frustrating expect world class output and getting "top 6 level performance", but at least we are getting top 6 level performance levels. We aren't getting Premier League level performance levels out of our CF at all. At CB, we are getting easily CL level performance levels.

My point is simply that even if your signing flops for big money relative to expectations, it's still a massive improvement to the team when your prior level was as bad as it is for us. There are literally over 20 strikers in the premier league alone who would start ahead of our options this season, which says a lot. It's a position where we can make "bad signings", but even these "bad signings" can improve us far more relative to what we have if we don't sign them compared to any other signing in our team (other than a goalkeeper who is also a really low level for us).

I get your point that he's a top player for a great price, but sometimes you just have to address the black hole in your team first as it really hinders everything else.
Okay again I think you are taking this as "don't sign a striker". Of course we need a striker (I've actually said we need 2, or at least another versatile forward. Antony is another discussion as we essentially paid for mid table production so far but we'll see). My point is saying "We need X position" and then just getting taken to the cleaners for a player for that position is generally a terrible strategy. It's why I want Hojlund, as I don't think Kane will ever happen and Hojlund is a great profile to build off of while getting him at a solid price. But another great example is the Maguire transfer. Everyone and their mother knew we needed a CB more than anything, and thus we were bent over by Leicester for a player that was worth about half of what we paid (yet again).

All I'm getting at is that deals like Kim or players of that caliber don't come around often for prices that cheap. Of course you want to address needs as well (although it can be argued we need another CB anyways considering Varane's unreliable fitness history/age and Maguire leaving), but sometimes you need to pull the trigger on sure fire quality and figure out the rest later. I'd say the same if Kvara was available for some 50m release clause. Do we need a LW? Probably not. Do you still do that deal? Absolutely, you'd be stupid not to get a borderline world class young winger for the price of what a bang average prem midfielder goes for these days.

OrcaFat

I think the order is more like

RCB:
Varane
Lindelof
Maguire

LCB:
Martinez
Lindelof
Shaw

Maguire is the weakest link here and will clearly be moved on while Kim should provide genuine competition for Varane.
Maguire has sometimes been picked ahead of Lindelof.

Depending on availability of LB options, I think it is more:

RCB
Varane
Maguire = Lindelof (depending on form / opposition)

LCB
Martinez
Shaw
Maguire = Lindelof (depending on form / opposition)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Feel like the journos have tied themselves in knots over this one. All stated the release clause can't be activated til July, so desperately fluffing until then.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've watched the full game. Hojlund barely touched the ball and got subbed off at half-time. Owned
He didn't looked owned. He just had a quiet game. Which is normal for a player of his experience in a team of underdogs vs the then title challengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.