Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm interested to see how he does to be honest.
He's had as many lows in his managerial career as he has had highs.

I do think this could go either way to be honest, so it will be interesting.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm interested to see how he does to be honest.
He's had as many lows in his managerial career as he has had highs.

I do think this could go either way to be honest, so it will be interesting.
Care to elaborate?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Care to elaborate?
Getting Mainz into Europe, then being relegated, and failing to get them promoted.
13/14 season he finished 2nd with 71 points, 14/15 season, finished 7th with 46 points.

I'm not saying he's a bad manager..., but as said, he does have his lows with all them highs

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
This is just so weird :lol: As it stands without him taking control of a match for them before it kicks in, I like the Liverpool manager more than ours :nervous:
No worries, you guys will start to hate him pretty fast. :lol:

Fans and neutrals love him, but for rivals it's easy to hate him.

InfiniteBoredom

Meh.. Will only be a bit harder to laugh at Pool when they fail again since I like the guy, but probably will hate him soon enough. Everyone who mingled with that lot become delusional.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Getting Mainz into Europe, then being relegated, and failing to get them promoted.
13/14 season he finished 2nd with 71 points, 14/15 season, finished 7th with 46 points.

I'm not saying he's a bad manager..., but as said, he does have his lows with all them highs

Getting Mainz into Europe at this point was for them comparable to bring Dortmund into the UCL final. It was a massive high. Beeing relegated was more like what was expected before.

ctp

Getting Mainz into Europe at this point was for them comparable to bring Dortmund into the UCL final. It was a massive high. Beeing relegated was more like what was expected before.
To be fair, we only got in via the fair play system. We finished eleventh twice, then sixteenth.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
To be fair, we only got in via the fair play system. We finished eleventh twice, then sixteenth.
That I didn't know :lol:
He was one of the few that I'd like to have taken over from LVG.
I was just more referring to, that his record isn't perfect, and he isn't a miracle worker, so don't expect him to go winning the league any time soon.

As for him, does Liverpools squad match his type of play?

pjaya

Imo I think pool did well to get him with minimum of fuss. Took them less than a week after Brendan got the sack, which is surprising ok to start with. Most probably next season they will start to challenge for the title.I will think they will challenge us for the cl spot in this season. Well sooner or later they will get a good manager and probably (hate to write it) will win the title in the near future.

Rezyuz

I disagree. It seems more delusional the idea that a coach choose a destination thinking " if I win here I'm a hero, and if I lose people will think it's because of the team." If he fails in Liverpool he is going to lose prestige. Liverpool are not a neighborhood team, it is one of the most prestigious teams in Europe.
Im not saying its solely based on that, but it was a big factor. Hes not the first manager to do stuff like this, or refuse to take risky jobs.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Im not saying its solely based on that, but it was a big factor. Hes not the first manager to do stuff like this, or refuse to take risky jobs.
ok , I'll agree with you, but only because your girlfriend is very beautiful, what gives you my respect and sympathy. :p

ctp

That I didn't know :lol:
He was one of the few that I'd like to have taken over from LVG.
I was just more referring to, that his record isn't perfect, and he isn't a miracle worker, so don't expect him to go winning the league any time soon.

As for him, does Liverpools squad match his type of play?
I think he can do pretty well with their squad. Benteke is the type of striker he prefers; the lack of good wingers won't bother him too much, he can do well with their attacking midfielders. Their CM has lots of runners which will be fine for his purposes, even though they lack quality on the ball.

The real question is how bad their defence actually is - whether it was mainly a coaching issue or problem with the players' quality. This is where I feel that he can have the most impact with his coaching. The other ingredients are there: young players who'll run their hearts out and some very good attackers. If he can make them press as a team and fix their defence they'll finish this season in the CL places. The first one might take time and the latter may fail because of the players he has to work with, but on balance I'd bet on him having a successful season and finish top four.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Most probably next season they will start to challenge for the title.
where have I heard that before?
sooner or later they will get a good manager and probably (hate to write it) will win the title in the near future.
They won't. Liverpool are as far away from a league title as they have ever been IMO.

If 3 years is a realistic time frame for a new manager to win the league with Utd, given the spending power, how long do you think it is going to take Liverpool?

By February we will be hearing the usual 'we're 2 or 3 signings away' the only question is with slippy gone who will be the one trotting out the party line. My money is on Milner.

steve9

I actually think his reasoning was way simpler:

1. He wants to implement his very own style of football. That's almost impossible if you take over one of the very established clubs, because if the results don't come instantly you'll be fired before your style starts working.

2. He has done a complete turn around for a big club before. And now he is convinced that he can do it again.

The letter believe might be wrong, maybe it's even hybris. We'll see.

Rezyuz

ok , I'll agree with you, but only because your girlfriend is very beautiful, what gives you my respect and sympathy. :p
Wtf im trying my best to troll and have some fun here and somehow my gf still manages to ruin the fun for me! Ty for the compliment tho :p

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Some people need to take off the rose tinted specs. He will win them the league title within 5 years, or he won't. You might not like to hear it but it's almost guaranteed given the ability he has and his track record of managing football clubs.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some people need to take off the rose tinted specs. He will win them the league title within 5 years, or he won't. You might not like to hear it but it's almost guaranteed given the ability he has and his track record of managing football clubs.
Some call. He will or he won't. You've heard it here first!! And it's guaranteed!

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
He hasn't even managed in this country before so there's no guarantees about his trophy return. These are the things I will guarantee:

1. The media will like him a lot and he will likely use this to get his way with referees (like Mourinho/Fergie have done in the past).
2. Liverpool players will play better than they have been for Rodgers or get shipped out.
3. He has a difficult start so he might not immediately pick up great results.

Anything beyond that isn't a certainty - especially not the players he will be able to recruit. Why would Reus leave his hometown club to join Liverpool when he's previously rejected Madrid, for instance? He's a Dortmund fan - not a Klopp fan.

I hope he turns some of the media against Mourinho when they realise what a moody and boring pleb he is by comparison to Klopp, who is genuinely passionate and entertaining.

steve9

He hasn't even managed in this country before so there's no guarantees about his trophy return. These are the things I will guarantee:

1. The media will like him a lot and he will likely use this to get his way with referees (like Mourinho/Fergie have done in the past).
2. Liverpool players will play better than they have been for Rodgers or get shipped out.
3. He has a difficult start so he might not immediately pick up great results.

Anything beyond that isn't a certainty - especially not the players he will be able to recruit. Why would Reus leave his hometown club to join Liverpool when he's previously rejected Madrid, for instance? He's a Dortmund fan - not a Klopp fan.

I hope he turns some of the media against Mourinho when they realise what a moody and boring pleb he is by comparison to Klopp, who is genuinely passionate and entertaining.
Well said.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I have a feeling he's going to be excellent, to be honest.

He's one of those people that demands respect, as is Van Gaal, but probably won't make such retarded decisions as him.
He'll get as much money as Liverpool have too, because they've lucked out getting a manager of his calibre. No idea how much that is though. A fiver?

NK86

I have reread my statement again just to make sure, and no..still didnt say that..at no point did I ...all I said about Liverpool and Klopp is that he will be able to attract top players..The LVG part has nothing to do with Liverpool, and I doubt from my exact words you can show me such a link and the impression that Liverpool will do better than us. You are getting wound by something I didnt say, obviously having been wound up by what someone else said.
The part which I had initially highlighted stated that you can take us not doing well but that and Liverpool doing well is not something you can accept.

So unless I got it wrong, does that not mean that Liverpool will do better than us is what you are expecting.

steve9

I have a feeling he's going to be excellent, to be honest.

He's one of those people that demands respect, as is Van Gaal, but probably won't make such retarded decisions as him.
He'll get as much money as Liverpool have too, because they've lucked out getting a manager of his calibre. No idea how much that is though. A fiver?
The main difference is, he's almost a full generation younger than LvG. That's simply more attractive, to fans, media, and to players. The circle of life...

NK86

Just guessing but it may have to do with Klopp's opinion that it is unacceptable to play boring football in front of many thousands fans. Granted, not all Dortmund games during his spell delivered 100% entertainment, but a good majority did. "Full throttle football" (in German: "Vollgasfußball") is what he's after, and he prefers a hard fought 5-4 to a boring 1-0. That music to the ears of many football lovers.
But that is the same thing which saw Klopp's last season with BVB getting ripped apart at the back consistently and finishing well below the CL places.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Some call. He will or he won't. You've heard it here first!! And it's guaranteed!
Almost guarenteed. You never can be 100% sure with these things - Klopp knows all about the Bayern Munchausen trilemma. But the signs are that some people in here will recieve a harsh reality check when I am proven right on this.

Last edited:

NK86

I'd love a Champions league and Fa Cup to get us started.
Did you not read the remaining post or just got giddy when he mentioned Benitez? He said you are in a worse condition and there is way more competition now than there was back then.

steve9

But that is the same thing which saw Klopp's last season with BVB getting ripped apart at the back consistently and finishing well below the CL places.
But he did not get ripped apart. That's just utter b.... See my post in this very thread. It was an insane and bizarre period where Dortmund simply couldn't score, incuding Marco Reuss, although they had the second most shots on goal in the league.

NK86

But he did not get ripped apart. That's just utter b.... See my post in this very thread. It was an insane and bizarre period where Dortmund simply couldn't score, incuding Marco Reuss, although they had the second most shots on goal in the league.
But they conceded a lot in the same period. Their defense was all over the place.

steve9

But they conceded a lot in the same period. Their defense was all over the place.
Trust me, I have watched most of their matches in that time with my dad (he is a real fan of Dortmund, I'm not so much): It was surreal. Of course they have conceded way more goals than necessary/normal. But most of them because of this unreal non-scoring by themselves. They simply tried so hard to score -- and then usually pushed it over the top -- so that they opened up the defence. But they were way superior in almost every match. Dortmund in late 2014 was the most unreal thing I have ever seen in football.

NK86

Trust me, I have watched most of their matches in that time with my dad (he is a real fan of Dortmund, I'm not so much): It was surreal. Of course they have conceded way more goals than necessary/normal. But most of them because of this unreal non-scoring by themselves. They simply tried so hard to score -- and then usually pushed it over the top -- so that they opened up the defence. But they were way superior in almost every match. Dortmund in late 2014 was the most unreal thing I have ever seen in football.
That almost sounds like Arsenal but worse. Dominating matches and possession but losing them ultimately. That is still not good enough.

I am not too aware of the reasons, but why dod Klopp resign if it was simply a case of them having one bad period where they dominated matches despite losing?

steve9

That almost sounds like Arsenal but worse. Dominating matches and possession but losing them ultimately. That is still not good enough.

I am not too aware of the reasons, but why dod Klopp resign if it was simply a case of them having one bad period where they dominated matches despite losing?
If you ask me, it was the media, who started to question him. More and more, week after week. And it was a long stretch. They were 17th or 18th at Christmas. That wore him down. Even my dad said, a change would be better for both. But Dortmund sticked with him -- a smart and loyal move. After the winter break it suddenly worked again, almost as normal. They were the second best team in the second half of the season and moved up to the 7th spot.

But the frictions have been there. Klopp started to wonder what he did wrong. And indeed a couple of expensive signings seemed to not work. Immobile was a failure. He's now in Spain and I doubt he's a success over there. But Mkhitaryan was one of the really strange ones: He played wonderfully even in his first year, but he couldn't score to save his life. Now that Klopp is gone, he's scoring, from the same spots...

Anyway, Klopp wanted to leave because he was disappointed. But probably not so much because of the club or the fans, they never let him down. My guess is that he was disappointed by the media and by himself -- in the sense that he couldn't solve the problem earlier. A problem that noboby can solve IMO: Bad luck over a period of time.

Last edited:

fatboy

Regardless of whether he does well for them or not, it troubles me that they now have a manager i find quite likeable. Actually more likeable than LvG. :nervous:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I will hate Klopp much more than anyone because there was actually a time when I loved him as a manager.
And so will most of here, I guess, when he starts talking like a Liverpool man.

Winrar

Regardless of whether he does well for them or not, it troubles me that they now have a manager i find quite likeable. Actually more likeable than LvG. :nervous:
I can see where you're coming from. really strange feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.