Klopp post-match meltdown

diarm

Some of these interviewers are such spineless pricks. They get sent down like hatchetmen to try and get a reaction they can twist into something sensational - but then when the people they are interviewing cop onto their schtick and push back, they get all defensive and righteous.

Sky were big players in the early days of the Prem but in the last decade or so, themselves and BT have shit the bed. Football peaked in Italy in the 90s and in England in the early 2000's - they need to go back and study those periods to see what worked because todays muck is turning people off.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He didnt actually complain about VAR which is credit to him. Theres enough fans and anti VAR followers who would have validated those excuses for him
Yeah, he was very reasonable about all those decisions. More than most managers would be.

Klopp’s an odd one. He’s a Liverpool manager so I really want to hate him. But I’ve nothing but respect for him. As a manager and a person. Wish he was in charge at our club. C’est la vie.

EDIT: As in, wish Woodward hadn’t fecked up his “Disneyland” project and Klopp had never gone to the scousers.

Klopp and the interviewer are both making some valid points - but neither will say the truth that the whole thing is about money. Maximising money for the Premier League, money for the clubs and money for the broadcasters... that's why illogical decisions are made about fixtures.

TrustInOle

Yeah, he was very reasonable about all those decisions. More than most managers would be.

Klopp’s an odd one. He’s a Liverpool manager so I really want to hate him. But I’ve nothing but respect for him. As a manager and a person. Wish he was in charge at our club. C’est la vie.

EDIT: As in, wish Woodward hadn’t fecked up his “Disneyland” project and Klopp had never gone to the scousers.
Pretty much sums my thoughts on the man.

Don't see anything wrong with what he did and back him as a back Ole in his voice for change. Am I right in thinking the rest of Europe play the 5 sub rule? Even if we also have it in the CL, surely that's a huge advantage to the team's being able to rotate more before CL match days.

Also playing Europe and the Saturday 12:30 kick off is atrocious giving this season's predicament.

Heinzesight

No meltdown but he’s cracking underneath. His ‘congratulations’ comment was a bit pathetic but he’d be his usual grinning feckwit self if he’d had less injuries which are probably a culmination of them being played into the ground the last few years. Can’t wait til he needs his next sabbatical.

LVGSdive

They are and they aren’t for me. Yes, the schedule is shit and too much is asked of players but the managers are the ones choosing to select them. He didn’t have to play Robertson today. The left back he signed in the summer was more expensive than anybody Brighton bought this summer. If you can’t use him in those games, when can you use him?
I was wondering the same thing. It's like the 5 sub rule. Most of the managers that have been beating the drum for it aren't using 3 subs at the moment.

Baneofthegame

Think it’s right from both sides to be fair, Klopp got called out on what he was saying about broadcasters, but his point about subs and the times teams are playing games did correct.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They are and they aren’t for me. Yes, the schedule is shit and too much is asked of players but the managers are the ones choosing to select them. He didn’t have to play Robertson today. The left back he signed in the summer was more expensive than anybody Brighton bought this summer. If you can’t use him in those games, when can you use him?
He tried resting Robertson mid-week and they lost. With three of his first choice back four injured, it’s going to have to be an absolute last resort to drop the last one standing.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Not sure what the interviewer asked to provoke the “Congratulations” smart-arse nonsensical response, the line of questioning was quite reasonable up to that point.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
As hard as the schedule might be, may be he needs to look at his own high intensity tactics before blaming every other factor for injuries. Adaptation is key to these situations.

marf

No meltdown but he’s cracking underneath. His ‘congratulations’ comment was a bit pathetic but he’d be his usual grinning feckwit self if he’d had less injuries which are probably a culmination of them being played into the ground the last few years. Can’t wait til he needs his next sabbatical.
It’s certainly interesting that Liverpool has been hit so hard by injuries considering both United and City had a far worse preparation ahead of the season with almost no rest + pre-season.

Fully agree that the last years high intensity football with the same starting lineup and almost no injuries are finally taking it’s toll. I remember someone linking an article here during the summer stating it would be impossible for Liverpool to perform at the high intensity levels for yet another year. Quite interesting considering where they are now with all injuries.

Intheflatfield

Supports
The mighty Red Devils
As hard as the schedule might be, may be he needs to look at his own high intensity tactics before blaming every other factor for injuries. Adaptation is key to these situations.
100% agree.
Also, as some posters have mentioned, even with 3 subs, they all aren't being used so what difference would 5 make? To me it's a deflective excuse for 2 dropped points.
It's unprecedented times so flexibility to the situation is key.
It will be interesting to see the injury stats at the end of the season and who has been impacted most - the clubs in Europe or spread out equally among the league.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Klopp and the interviewer are both making some valid points - but neither will say the truth that the whole thing is about money. Maximising money for the Premier League, money for the clubs and money for the broadcasters... that's why illogical decisions are made about fixtures.
Exactly, ultimately the fixtures are rubbish, and the list is completely unfair and has been especially to the teams in Europe, but the TV money they get is what pays the bills, buys the players, etc. So it’s a little hard to complain.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
He's really a terrible loser isn't he ? Losses and draws bring the worst out of him.
Rubbish argument, they don't moan when they win an early kick off, just an excuse rather than anything legitimate. Get over it and do your job.
He already complained about it in a sky interview last week after they trashed Leicester 3-0. Sky first posted that interview online and then deleted and censored it everywhere else because he had called them out. So that BT interview was 100% designed to get him react on it as they felt they need to set things straight.
Gotta agree with @Pagh Wraith that the smug wankers Shreeves or Kelly don`t really deserve better answers with their baiting know-it-better attitude in interviews.

Josep Dowling

For years teams have played Wednesday and the earlier KO on Saturday. Now suddenly it’s an issue because Liverpool have injury problems. Where were all the media reports when Ole mentioned the same issue versus Everton?

I’m glad Des Kelly bit back today. He’s been given shit by Klopp all week when he’s merely doing his job. The clubs are happy to take the millions in the broadcasting money, which in turn means showing games at different times so every fan can watch the games.

I really don’t care if players can’t perform at physical peak. Playing two 90 minute games a week is absolutely nothing compared to what the average person has to deal with. The reason this is a bigger issue for Liverpool is because of their high intensity style. Maybe he needs to adapt.

Last edited:

Red00012

Hardly a Meltdown , he put his point across without reacting to the interviewer to be honest .

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Schedule is tight, i don't deny that. But; squads have 25 players ffs. Rotation, rotation, rotation.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I actually agree with everything he said and was annoyed by the journalist repeatedly telling him not to have a go at the broadcasters.

It's madness that we don't have the 5 subs. The tight schedule and no pre-season affects all the clubs, though it is more detrimental to clubs in Europe (and other leagues have mostly supported their teams European efforts with augmenting the schedule). And the season scheduling is completely bonkers.

A short while ago Ole was saying the same thing.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
For years teams have played Wednesday and the earlier KO on Saturday.
That's because it's not a usual season. If it was then it would be no problem, this is our schedule going into mid January. Now when you consider that we've been playing every 3/4 days already for a month. It's pretty mental. To put it into context, last season the amount of days between Matchday 10 and Matchday 19 was 60, this season its 48.
Competition​
Date​
Days Rest​
Opponent​
Leg​
Premier League​
29/11/2020​
5​
Southampton FC​
Away​
UEFA Champions League​
02/12/2020​
3​
Paris Saint-Germain​
Home​
Premier League​
05/12/2020​
3​
West Ham United​
Away​
UEFA Champions League​
08/12/2020​
3​
RB Leipzig​
Away​
Premier League​
12/12/2020​
4​
Manchester City​
Home​
Premier League​
17/12/2020​
5​
Sheffield United​
Away​
Premier League​
20/12/2020​
3​
Leeds United​
Home​
EFL Cup​
22/12/2020​
2​
Everton FC​
Away​
Premier League​
26/12/2020​
4​
Leicester City​
Away​
Premier League​
29/12/2020​
3​
Wolverhampton Wanderers​
Home​
Premier League​
02/01/2021​
4​
Aston Villa​
Home​
FA Cup​
09/01/2021​
7​
tba​
tba​
Premier League​
12/01/2021​
3​
Fulham FC​
Away​
Premier League​
16/01/2021​
4​
Liverpool FC​
Away​

Irrational.

They’re all at it including the club captain. The BBC has picked up on it too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55116311

The victim mentality never ceases to amaze me. Even though the article states Everton have been worse done by than them.

He’d have a valid point if it was only Liverpool being screwed over but it’s not the case. He needs to pipe down and get on with the season which is being played in unique circumstances.

Tarrou

Not sure how people are seeing this and saying Klopp handled it well. He personally insulted the interviewer and Chris Wilder for no reason and clearly just lost his cool, he came across like a right prick.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They’re all at it including the club captain. The BBC has picked up on it too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55116311

The victim mentality never ceases to amaze me. Even though the article states Everton have been worse done by than them.

He’d have a valid point if it was only Liverpool being screwed over but it’s not the case. He needs to pipe down and get on with the season which is being played in unique circumstances.
Hendo seems to think someone kicking a player's foot in the box being given as a pen is "baffling".

The argument seems to be that if you kick someone so quickly that the ref misses it on first view that somehow it's not a pen. That's weird logic.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure how people are seeing this and saying Klopp handled it well. He personally insulted the interviewer and Chris Wilder for no reason and clearly just lost his cool, he came across like a right prick.
I think he did well to actually not lose his sh!t at that interrogation. When was the last time a journalist has taken it upon themselves to have a go at a manager they're interviewing?
Imagine doing that to Fergie?

black country red

Can’t stand the bearded German scouse t..t grinning like a Buffoon when they win worse than wenger when they don’t average team looking good in an average league nowhere near as good has united arsenal and Chelsea premier league winning sides can’t see why there is so much man love for him no the cafe people should remember we are united we hate scouse

Tarrou

I think he did well to actually not lose his sh!t at that interrogation. When was the last time a journalist has taken it upon themselves to have a go at a manager they're interviewing?
Imagine doing that to Fergie?
He had a go at him because Klopp said "congratulations" when the journalist said Milner was injured

if Klopp is going to insult the guy what do we expect? It's fair if you ask me

I doubt Fergie would've said anything like that, he wouldn't do it unprovoked that's for sure

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It’s certainly interesting that Liverpool has been hit so hard by injuries considering both United and City had a far worse preparation ahead of the season with almost no rest + pre-season.

Fully agree that the last years high intensity football with the same starting lineup and almost no injuries are finally taking it’s toll. I remember someone linking an article here during the summer stating it would be impossible for Liverpool to perform at the high intensity levels for yet another year. Quite interesting considering where they are now with all injuries.
We're not complaining too loudly at our injuries, they happen. We've had plenty before (Alisson, Salah, Matip, Hendo, Gomez, etc) but it went unnoticed because we were always winning.

This season it's the usual suspects again (Gomez, Matip, Shaq, Keita) but if in that one game Everton players behaved like human beings and not feral animals Thiago and VvD would have seen us confidently beating Brighton 3-0. Neither player had any problems with fatigue or soft muscle issues. Just outright thuggery set us back.

So this is where we are. I'm confident Klopp will a) sort it out as TAA, Thiago and Hendo look like returning and b) will make an astute signing again in January that will have Redcafe melting down as number 20 approaches. :)

Client6

Can’t stand the bearded German scouse t..t grinning like a Buffoon when they win worse than wenger when they don’t average team looking good in an average league nowhere near as good has united arsenal and Chelsea premier league winning sides can’t see why there is so much man love for him no the cafe people should remember we are united we hate scouse
Appreciate your general sentiment but you type like Klopp speaks.

Foxbatt

Fergie was never a good loser either. He called a referee fat. Liverpool is in this situation because Van Dijk was kicked off the pitch. I prefer a manager who shows his emotions.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He had a go at him because Klopp said "congratulations" when the journalist said Milner was injured

if Klopp is going to insult the guy what do we expect? It's fair if you ask me

I doubt Fergie would've said anything like that, he wouldn't do it unprovoked that's for sure
I can't stand Klopp but that's pretty tenuous.
He was saying congrats to the tv for the scheduling. Wrongly so yes, but of course it's not to some random interviewer.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Am I the only who thinks that the points he's brought up are legit concerns?

I wonder how Fergie would've dealt with the fixture congestion of this season? Then again, Fergie once played a midfield of Rafael, Fabio, Gibson and John O'Shea and beat Arsenal 2-0. :lol:
He would have demanded Howard Webb to ref our matches.

But seriously though, I get Klopp's point. At least swap the Sheffield v West Brom match to give Liverpool that rest as they played in Europe.

NotThatSoph

Well, no, he didn't handle it well at all, Brighton was in the same boat this afternoon as they were allowed only three subs too, but you didn't hear Graham Potter whining about it.
Of course Potter didn't white about it, because Potter is happy about not being allowed five subs. If he could have successfully campaigned for zero subs then he would have, but he can't so he'll stay silently content with three.

More subs benefit the clubs with larger and stronger squads, so Klopp complains and Potter doesn't.

acnumber9

He tried resting Robertson mid-week and they lost. With three of his first choice back four injured, it’s going to have to be an absolute last resort to drop the last one standing.
I can understand that too but the big sides already have benches full of players that would ordinarily start for teams like Brighton so I don’t feel too sorry for them when they choose not to use them.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What did Chris Wilder do? :lol:

I know he called Klopp selfish or something but I assume there's more to it the way Klopp kept dropping his name?

But the Robertson but saddened me. If he was taken off, I'd have my fantasy league clean sheet.

HackeyC

The fact that clubs in European competition are kicking off at 12:30 on a Saturday is complete lunacy.

It's a shit time for football anyway
I get the point he's making but would counter. Liverpool play Ajax on Tuesday so a game on Sunday would have been worse. The real culprit is UEFA for scheduling two games in six days, not the PL. Wed-Sat-Tue is better than Wed-Sun-Tue imo.