Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Unpopular opinion, but for me he was the best manager in the world after SAF.

I hated that he went to Liverpool, and I came to dislike the man due to his antics at Anfield. But there's no denying that his sides played direct entertaining football, played with passion and energy, had incredible peaks during their best seasons, and were consistently more than the sum of their parts. In a fair landscape, his Liverpool sides would have had the most PL dominance and success since Fergie.

I know a lot of posters on the caf think highly of Pep, as his thread clearly shows. But I find the idea of even considering Pep in 'the greatest of all time' debate ridiculous. No one knows what any 'merely good manager' can do with the kind of resources that Pep had at Barca (prime Messi + prime La Masia + prime referee corruption) or at City (I can think of 115 different reasons why). Pep has always been a hypocritical, narcissistic cheat. Like all sports, football has been steadily dying to capitalism over the last few decades, but no one has single-handedly accelerated and legitimized the decay of a single sport as much as Pep. From my point of view, he is a vile human being who does not even deserve the courtesy of even being in the debate with Klopp, Jose, Ancelotti, Simeone, Zidane, Wenger, or the likes.

Unless they get incredibly unlucky (not unusual for Liverpool), Klopp was and will be Liverpool's best manager for a long time to come. I'm glad he's burnt out, that his teams fell short of what they could do, and that he's fecking off now. I hope he doesn't go back to Anfield again.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I hated that he went to Liverpool, and I came to dislike the man due to his antics at Anfield. But there's no denying that his sides played direct entertaining football, played with passion and energy, had incredible peaks during their best seasons, and were consistently more than the sum of their parts. In a fair landscape, his Liverpool sides would have had the most PL dominance and success since Fergie.

I know a lot of posters on the caf think highly of Pep, as his thread clearly shows. But I find the idea of even considering Pep in 'the greatest of all time' debate ridiculous. No one knows what any 'merely good manager' can do with the kind of resources that Pep had at Barca (prime Messi + prime La Masia + prime referee corruption) or at City (I can think of 115 different reasons why). Pep has always been a hypocritical, narcissistic cheat. Like all sports, football has been steadily dying to capitalism over the last few decades, but no one has single-handedly accelerated and legitimized the decay of a single sport as much as Pep. From my point of view, he is a vile human being who does not even deserve the courtesy of even being in the debate with Klopp, Jose, Ancelotti, Simeone, Zidane, Wenger, or the likes.

Unless they get incredibly unlucky (not unusual for Liverpool), Klopp was and will be Liverpool's best manager for a long time to come. I'm glad he's burnt out, that his teams fell short of what they could do, and that he's fecking off now. I hope he doesn't go back to Anfield again.
Agree with every word.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
FFS :lol: 100% made sure there was people there to see him first.

iHicksy

Look I think he's a great manager and I would have loved him here too. He's a great cup manager but this media driven rhetoric that he's some incredible premier league manager and that it was just City holding this supreme pool team back is absolute fictional nonsense.

Liverpool's finishes in the prem since Klopp came are: 8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, ~1st~, 3rd, 2nd, 5th, 3rd.

They won the league once and haven't even been runners up more than twice in 9 years. So for the love of god please stop with this Liverpool PL dominance hogwash.

stevoc

Look I think he's a great manager and I would have loved him here too. He's a great cup manager but this media driven rhetoric that he's some incredible premier league manager and that it was just City holding this supreme pool team back is absolute fictional nonsense.

Liverpool's finishes in the prem since Klopp came are: 8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, ~1st~, 3rd, 2nd, 5th, 3rd.

They won the league once and haven't even been runners up more than twice in 9 years. So for the love of god please stop with this Liverpool PL dominance hogwash.
True the only difference between United and Klopp the last decade is 1 Premier League title *

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

Klopp had 7 top four finishes in the last 8 years, should have had 3 potential PL titles in the 2018-21(they lost two by a single point each to the cheats across town) and was in 2 CL finals, one of which his keeper threw away. All while playing the kind of direct, high-intensity, attacking football that most fans crave for, and being 9th in net spend across the league. I don't think people truly acknowledge that Klopp achieved what he did after spending less than even Newcastle, Spurs, and Villa over his tenure - forget City's cheating, our reckless billions, or Chelsea's owner-backed money.

Barring Pep the cheat, who else has come close to
(a) this level of success with
(b) such attractive football using
(c) such limited resources
post-SAF?

Zidane at Madrid is the only one who comes close in this era, but while he soundly outperforms Klopp at (a) with 2 league titles and 3 CLs, his (b) football was dull (to me), their league competition limited, their CL runs flukey, and (c) he had an expensively assembled Galactico squad with prime CR7 at his disposal.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Klopp had 7 top four finishes in the last 8 years, should have had 3 potential PL titles in the 2018-21(they lost two by a single point each to the cheats across town) and was in 2 CL finals, one of which his keeper threw away. All while playing the kind of direct, high-intensity, attacking football that most fans crave for, and being 9th in net spend across the league. I don't think people truly acknowledge that Klopp achieved what he did after spending less than even Newcastle, Spurs, and Villa over his tenure - forget City's cheating, our reckless billions, or Chelsea's owner-backed money.

post-SAF?

Zidane at Madrid is the only one who comes close in this era, but while he soundly outperforms Klopp at (a) with 2 league titles and 3 CLs, his (b) football was dull (to me), their league competition limited, their CL runs flukey, and (c) he had an expensively assembled Galactico squad with prime CR7 at his disposal.
Good post but you can equally say 1 league titles in 9 years with €1bn spent. Most agree Klopp is a top level coach, just a tier below the multi PL winning managers. He is hugely overrated, and an unlikable narcissist.

tomaldinho1

That would be a popular opinion for me. A really weird dude, made even weirder by becoming a Pool manager but a truly elite manager nonetheless.

iHicksy

Again and this is something Klopp fans do time and time again when faced with the facts of league finishers, which is after all the only thing that matters when the original poster is saying Klopp would dominate if it wasn't for Pep. When you point out the actual results, you know the stuff that counts - they come up with, as you just have a bunch of stuff which has absolutely nothing to do with the original point.

Again I'll repeat - no one has said he's not a great manager, he is and his record in he CL is fantastic. The original point was that he would have dominated the league if it wasn't for Pep and we can categorically state based on the fact he only finished second twice in a span of 9 seasons, that this is simply fantastical nonsense. It's not even up for debate, the literal facts of league placings show this to be a complete fabrication.

100%

sugar_kane

According to the BBC today he's won seven major honours at Liverpool. I had to go and count, but apparently Carabao counts as major if Jurgen won it. Same applies for European Super Cup and Club World Cup. They (I assume) aren't counting the Charity Shield.

At the same time you've got The Athletic doing a 5 part (minimum, they don't stop coming) series of articles on his time at Liverpool.

He is a great manager and I would have loved to have had him at United, but the hysteria around his exit is bananas.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
According to the BBC today he's won seven major honours at Liverpool. I had to go and count, but apparently Carabao counts as major if Jurgen won it. Same applies for European Super Cup and Club World Cup. They (I assume) aren't counting the Charity Shield.

At the same time you've got The Athletic doing a 5 part (minimum, they don't stop coming) series of articles on his time at Liverpool.

He is a great manager and I would have loved to have had him at United, but the hysteria around his exit is bananas.
It's up there with the Queen dying.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
FFS :lol: 100% made sure there was people there to see him first.

I enjoy hating Liverpool but is Anfield ever actually empty of people.

Ive taken a moment to reflect over places im leaving as well, this seems pretty reasonable

Real Name

post-SAF?

Zidane's CL runs flukey? What does that mean? To come to the final of CL you need a bit of luck, Madrid had it, Liverpool had it in their runs too.
Limited competion in the league? I guess competition in the PL is not that limited or?
Limited resources? He wasnt shy of adding expensive additions into his squad, although not on the City level of course but he didnt work with a cheap squad that's for sure.
Would we see the biggest dominance after Fergie if it weren't for Pep? We dont know but given that he finished 2nd two times and won one title saying there wouldn't be some kind of big dominance is not out of the question. In any case there are lots of ifs and buts in that story.
Thats not saying he isnt a great manager but you seem to overrate him a bit there, while underrating the likes of Zidane.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I enjoy hating Liverpool but is Anfield ever actually empty of people.

Ive taken a moment to reflect over places im leaving as well, this seems pretty reasonable
Did you arrange a photo op?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

post-SAF?

Imagine making a post moaning that people dismiss Klopp's achievements, then yourself dismiss the greater achievements of Zidane :drool:

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

Agree. And even in Pep's "cleanest" job he took over a treble winning team that lacked a striker and got Lewandowski in, only to never get to a CL final.

bosskeano

going to be one big circle jerk in the Kop End this weekend....bring your umbrellas and rain coats

Taribo's Gap

Is there a figure in football whose reputation is more propped up by and reliant on achievements he couldn't manage? Whose defense is more riddled with counterfactuals, could haves, would haves, should haves, almosts and alternative scenarios?

The only one I can remotely think of is Brazilian Ronaldo because of the injuries, but even outside of that, his body of work and his manifest brilliance and skill carries his reputation.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Is there a figure in football whose reputation is more propped up by and reliant on achievements he couldn't manage? Whose defense is more riddled with counterfactuals, could haves, would haves, should haves, almosts and alternative scenarios?

The only one I can remotely think of is Brazilian Ronaldo because of the injuries, but even outside of that, his body of work and his manifest brilliance and skill carries his reputation.
what now?