Kobbie Mainoo | 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You just know ten hag sees a special player in him. He's not someone who forces youngsters through to give them a chance. Only when he sees truly elite potential.

Kopral Jono

The greatest midfield players to have ever graced the game 'glide', so to speak. The likes of the elder Laudrup, Zidane, Pirlo and Iniesta all possessed a floating body movement quite difficult to describe. You see this now with Modric, too. I'm not saying Mainoo will be anywhere near as good as them but he does glide across the pitch.

RedDevilQuebecois

It's one thing to be part of the main squad, but what is the point if he doesn't get some quality minutes out there? Considering the state of affairs in our midfield, especially with Casemiro's second red card and subsequent 4-game ban, I don't think it would be too much to try something different if the drop in quality is already obvious when Scotty comes on.

Olecurls99

It's one thing to be part of the main squad, but what is the point if he doesn't get some quality minutes out there? Considering the state of affairs in our midfield, especially with Casemiro's second red card and subsequent 4-game ban, I don't think it would be too much to try something different if the drop in quality is already obvious when Scotty comes on.
Get him in

Chief123

Central midfield is the hardest place to play. He will get his chances but it’s not as easy as putting a young winger in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He isn’t a defensive midfielder.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
You can't chuck on a young midfielder with barely any first team minutes to his name and ask him to hold the midfield together when you have 10 men. McTominay came on and did perfectly well. If Mainoo gets minutes, it'll be the last knockings of a game we have a comfortable lead in. Would love to see him get the last half hour against Betis if we're still up by 3 or more.

Also, he's not a DM. In our system he'd play in the Eriksen/Fred slot. In style he's much more like De Jong/Verratti/Kovacic than Casemiro or Busquets.

OrcaFat

You can't chuck on a young midfielder with barely any first team minutes to his name and ask him to hold the midfield together when you have 10 men. McTominay came on and did perfectly well. If Mainoo gets minutes, it'll be the last knockings of a game we have a comfortable lead in. Would love to see him get the last half hour against Betis if we're still up by 3 or more.

Also, he's not a DM. In our system he'd play in the Eriksen/Fred slot. In style he's much more like De Jong/Verratti/Kovacic than Casemiro or Busquets.
He looks like the roaming player in a double pivot to me. Possibly a no8 in a 433. In our squad, I agree he fits the Eriksen slot rather than the Casemiro slot.

bosskeano

honestly surprised that Erik hasn't given him a run of matches to play in and continue his development and integration into the first team

JuriM

honestly surprised that Erik hasn't given him a run of matches to play in and continue his development and integration into the first team
A bit early imo? He either plays a lot for U23 or sits on our bench to maybe get a few mins if the game allows. Better to get full

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The coaching staff sees him every day in training. I’m sure he would’ve played more if they thought he was ready.

bosskeano

A bit early imo? He either plays a lot for U23 or sits on our bench to maybe get a few mins if the game allows. Better to get full
The coaching staff sees him every day in training. I’m sure he would’ve played more if they thought he was ready.
i get that playing more minutes with U23's is beneficial and that they watch him train everyday....however the best way to learn and start that adaption is to play meaningful minutes on the pitch iwth the first team against real opposition

honestly...he should have been on the bench last night as he could have come on, same goes with the fulham match for the FA Cup. We've struggled for options given our injury list in the midfield so an option off the bench with him makes sense.

BlahRules

No point in throwing a young talented player into the first team when there's a potential to have a detriment to his career. Foden wasn't chucked, he was in the first team for at least a year and then getting minutes here and there till he established himself.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
i get that playing more minutes with U23's is beneficial and that they watch him train everyday....however the best way to learn and start that adaption is to play meaningful minutes on the pitch iwth the first team against real opposition

honestly...he should have been on the bench last night as he could have come on, same goes with the fulham match for the FA Cup. We've struggled for options given our injury list in the midfield so an option off the bench with him makes sense.
I agree. And he will, when the time is right. For us or on loan.

EtH and the staff obviously felt it was more important to give Sabitzer some minutes so that he would get up to match fitness asap. Because like it or not, him & McTominay seem to be ahead of him in the pecking order and we need them fit especially now that Casemiro is suspended for a month.

His time will come.

Abraxas

I think he's getting what he needs. He's an absolute baby. Probably not ready for the cut and thrust of top flight football in central midfield from the start. Not many are.

If you look at the opportunities given it's usually in a more comfortable situation in the game where they think he's ready to handle it, that's no coincidence. He's done well in that situation. Comfortable on the ball and keeping it safe.

There's not many 18-19 year old CMs at the top flight, nevermind 17 years old for a top club. It's not so bad with wingers and attackers where if they feck up it's non critical, they're easier to risk. He's probably got 2 whole years of development in which it would still be extraordinary if he began to feature regularly. So the fact he's doing anything now is already a good sign for his ability.

daveskimufc

Not been in the last few squads and Iqbal been there instead again. A case of EtH rotating for a bit of exposure? Or an injury?

Thiagoal

Not been in the last few squads and Iqbal been there instead again. A case of EtH rotating for a bit of exposure? Or an injury?
I suspect an injury as he hasn’t been around the U23’s either. Having said that pretty sure I saw him on the training photos yesterday?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Any updates on Mainoo? Would really like to see more of him in action. Have high hopes on him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Season where he seems to have played very little football. He and Gore had awesome seasons last year, but due to different reasons, have barely seem them shine.

Nero

Barely kicked a ball across all levels this season.

GueRed

Not in the travelling squad to Seville

Iqbal ahead of him.

Is he injured?

dutchred

Any news on him? Is he injured? Not been in the squad for a while but also not playing for the under 21

FerociousCorgis

part of my one criticism of EtH. Youngsters have barely got any significant minutes under him. Couldve easily been more proactive with that considering the amount of games we have had coupled with the amount of injuries. One area i would love to see addressed next year hopefully.

Red Rash

part of my one criticism of EtH. Youngsters have barely got any significant minutes under him. Couldve easily been more proactive with that considering the amount of games we have had coupled with the amount of injuries. One area i would love to see addressed next year hopefully.
Yea agreed only really Garnacho has had significant minutes. At least Pellistri and Mainoo probably deserve more. I'm also surprised that Iqbal fell out of favour after pre season.

Hopefully Hannibal and Amad get a chance next season.

dutchred

Yea agreed only really Garnacho has had significant minutes. At least Pellistri and Mainoo probably deserve more. I'm also surprised that Iqbal fell out of favour after pre season.

Hopefully Hannibal and Amad get a chance next season.
We need to be realistic. We have been under pressure since the firsst 2 games. It's hardly the circumstances to bloood new youngsters, especially midfielders. If we have secured a top 4 earlier I'm sure he would have givensome youngsters more games

FerociousCorgis

We need to be realistic. We have been under pressure since the firsst 2 games. It's hardly the circumstances to bloood new youngsters, especially midfielders. If we have secured a top 4 earlier I'm sure he would have givensome youngsters more games
felt like the league cup was the clear chance to give youngsters time. Glad to win it but could come out as short-sighted if all our main players got overworked going so strong with every lineup. Pressure will always be there for the manager but need to balance things out.

Strootman's Finger

Agreed, when was the last time we played a game that wasn't a must win?

FerociousCorgis

Agreed, when was the last time we played a game that wasn't a must win?
i mean why are we just counting the last stretch of games? This season has been incredibly long for us. Weve played the most games of any team in the top 5 leagues or whatever the stat was. Just feel like there were opportunities all year to get more youngsters involved here and there. Needs to be something worked on in my opinion

jesperjaap

I still think he is the breakthorugh player for us next season.

This season was a little early with his age and feels like he had a bit of bad luck missing out on some squads, maybe nigglign injuries. But this summer there is a chance McFred and VDB move on, even if we sign a couple of quality new central midfielders, there are only then five genuine options for three positions and I think Eriksen fades, so I think there will be opportunities for him. When you look at our other youth options, there are probably more players and some of our good ones in positions they play in.

Mainoo taking the opportunities I feel he may get, has a good chance to establish himself as a quality second choice for the number 8 I feel behind a new signing and maybe even off the bench for Casemeiro if we can finish off other sides with a good 20mins left which we rarely did the season gone

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I still think he is the breakthorugh player for us next season.

This season was a little early with his age and feels like he had a bit of bad luck missing out on some squads, maybe nigglign injuries. But this summer there is a chance McFred and VDB move on, even if we sign a couple of quality new central midfielders, there are only then five genuine options for three positions and I think Eriksen fades, so I think there will be opportunities for him. When you look at our other youth options, there are probably more players and some of our good ones in positions they play in.

Mainoo taking the opportunities I feel he may get, has a good chance to establish himself as a quality second choice for the number 8 I feel behind a new signing and maybe even off the bench for Casemeiro if we can finish off other sides with a good 20mins left which we rarely did the season gone
Like a noo signing

Bertie Wooster

I do have high hopes for Mainoo - if he gets enough trust and opportunities that is.

I've recently posted in the Zidane Iqbal thread how I didn't expect him to make it here as I didn't really see much to get excited about. Mainoo is very different. He has plenty of attributes - physical and technical - and really looks like he has the potential all round midfield game to be a good box to box #8.

Of course, there's so many things that could go wrong for any young player - injuries, attitude, limited opportunities, poor loan choices, etc. But I really see a lot of potential in Mainoo and, if he puts the work in and gets some opportunities with us, then he's definitely one of those who has a chance of making it here.

jesperjaap

I do have high hopes for Mainoo - if he gets enough trust and opportunities that is.

I've recently posted in the Zidane Iqbal thread how I didn't expect him to make it here as I didn't really see much to get excited about. Mainoo is very different. He has plenty of attributes - physical and technical - and really looks like he has the potential all round midfield game to be a good box to box #8.

Of course, there's so many things that could go wrong for any young player - injuries, attitude, limited opportunities, poor loan choices, etc. But I really see a lot of potential in Mainoo and, if he puts the work in and gets some opportunities with us, then he's definitely one of those who has a chance of making it here.
Totally agree. There are a few good youngsters at the club, Its all about getting opportunities and taking them. Think Garnacho is the prime example as from what I saw of him in youth football, despite immense talent he looked very much a rough diamond not ready to step up, but obviously he has. Most of the young players here will get limied opportunities its how they take them, but in the favour of Mainoo and Hannibal over the likes of Amad, Pellestri....even with a new midfield signing, there are more squad spaces in there positions so potential opportunities and I feel both have the right abilities and skill sets to make it here....mentality is the decisive factor I feel

RuudTom83

Doesn't get better than watching an academy lad in the first team...but the Prem is bloody hard and Top 4 is going to be a real challenge next season.

Which does put a very big wall in front of Kobbie, but a few departures (Donny, McFred) and a few meltdowns after missing out on <insert random player from a youtube comp> could leave an opening for him to sneak into.

Garnacho is the inspiration for all the young lads...I hope he stays and collects as many minutes as he can

Dve

There is always hope, but if you look at the few players that have made their way into the first team, they have made an immediate impact when given the chance. I think about players like Rashford, Greenwood, Garnacho and even Williams. Have yet to see that from Mainoo, and I wonder if it would be better for him to go on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.