Kobbie Mainoo | 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Being realistic he did very little to impress last night, but what matters is getting him on the pitch and experiencing the big occasion. It would be unfair to expect otherwise.

He's been excellent when I've seen him at youth level. Clearly a very talented prospect, and he must be tearing it up in training to be fast-tracked in this manner. Ten Hag strikes me a someone who is not easily impressed

NoPace

When he gets more games under his belt and then the game slows down for him then you will see the skillsets he was displayed at the academy -- and why he was being fast tracked.
It's definitely a good sign that Ten Hag threw him in for a start at 17 and seems to rate him, and as I said, you can see how strong and confident he is on the ball.

Raven

Being realistic he did very little to impress last night, but what matters is getting him on the pitch and experiencing the big occasion. It would be unfair to expect otherwise.

He's been excellent when I've seen him at youth level. Clearly a very talented prospect, and he must be tearing it up in training to be fast-tracked in this manner. Ten Hag strikes me a someone who is not easily impressed
I barely noticed him on the pitch but from what I've seen of him at youth level, he looks an exceptional talent. I think you're right about Ten Hag, his standards seem sky high so getting a start at 17 is a huge vote of confidence.

RedIan

ETH clearly rates him so he must be decent. TBH i hardly noticed his involvement. So Neither good nor bad.

Don't think it's realistic to expect him to have pulled up trees from CM as a 17 year old debutant. Just seemed like a pretty tidy, mature performance for his age. I'm sure he'll show his personality more as he becomes more used to the first team. The good news is that ten Hag already trusts him to do the off-the-ball work and to not put his defence/midfield under pressure against a high energy press.

It's rare for 17 year olds to start games in midfield - it's a position that requires much more responsibility, both on and off the ball, than on the wings or up front. We dominated possession and made lots of chances, and he didn't make any notable mistakes on or off the ball. I'd say that was a very encouraging debut.

RedIan

Just watched a long video of him on youtube (ifutball) He looks very useful, good tackler, he can hold the ball up, very good passing, long and short, can beat a man and scores plenty of goals.
Definite potential there.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Looks a solid player and only 17? Did anyone see this coming? Thought we’d see more of Zidane but looks like Erik fancies him more.

Mmm-Qatarian

Thought that was a very solid cameo from him considering his age. Extremely mature performance at a time when the side had randomly become a little bit chaotic.

A9X SJ

You can usually tell when a player is very accomplished on the ball… He looks a player who deserves minutes

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Very composed, and maybe that's what was needed to kill off the game.

But find him very passive and shy as well so far for the first team. He has much more in his locker.

His biggest attributes to me are his driving with the ball, quick turns, and dribbling in tighter spaces.

kaku06

Looks composed and elegant but is too casual and has zero intensity about him. I don’t know what to make of that. Does he always play like that?

Telsim

Something about him reminds me of De Jong. Looks calm and composed on the ball. Had a very good tackle. His upcoming loans should be carefully considered.

Mmm-Qatarian

Very composed, and maybe that's what was needed to kill off the game.

But find him very passive and shy as well so far for the first team. He has much more in his locker.

His biggest attributes to me are his driving with the ball, quick turns, and dribbling in tighter spaces.
I get what you're saying but he played how he needed to play today. The defending had randomly started to look a little bit uncertain since they got their goal, so it was good to have a midfielder who would just slow the tempo down to kill the game off.

flameinthesun

Was not really a game that he could be judged on due to the lack of pressure and intensity of Reading by the time he came on. The good thing in his cameos is that he hasn't panicked in any situation which is good, but so far he hasn't really been tested.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's not passive or shy guys - this is his second appearance. Not everyone is Garnacho enough to take people on. All we should be looking now is if he has the basics to work with.

Kid has it.

Edwards6

Looks calm and composed on the ball for his age, hope he gets more minutes on Wednesday

Art

Art the artist
Should also take into account that he was brought on for Case after we've just conceded a goal. Must've been asked by ETH to slow the tempo and control the game to avoid a frantic final few minutes.

M Bison

Supports
York City
For those that have seen a lot of him, is he a holding midfielder or typically plays further forward? Is he Casemiro, Eriksen or Bruno?

Mmm-Qatarian

I think it's a little silly to be criticising the kid for taking the pace out of the game when you have a two goal cushion and are looking to see out the win. If anything, we could've done with this mindset in the 1-1 draw against Palace; it's dumb to constantly be playing high octane football when protecting a lead against weaker opposition.

Marwood

Something about him reminds me of De Jong. Looks calm and composed on the ball. Had a very good tackle. His upcoming loans should be carefully considered.
I'm thinking Thiago. If I was to liken him to anyone in style.

BerryBerryShrew

Looked composed. Didn't try anything fancy which is impressive in itself- a lot of kids coming on will try a bit too hard to impress (like Garnacho did).

dutchred

For those that have seen a lot of him, is he a holding midfielder or typically plays further forward? Is he Casemiro, Eriksen or Bruno?
for a couple of seasons Eriksen like, after that Casemiro

RedIan

I kept a close eye on him when he came on. Very composed, good crisp accurate passer. Did one good tackle.
Definitely looks a very good prospect for midfield and could end up saving us a lot of money.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Are people complaining about his showing tonight?? Thought he looked great, proper presence for a 17 year old, cool, calm, collected, never lost possession. Not sure what people were hoping for?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Under the impression he’s more of a defensive minded box to box type of player

footballbite

Looks composed and elegant but is too casual and has zero intensity about him. I don’t know what to make of that. Does he always play like that?
I've commented before on here - including the first page on this thread - that in general this season, including in youth games, he's been "too passive" in his play and "it just seems like someone needs to put a rocket up him at times lately".

I didn't think this was the case with him when I saw him play last season, but it's definitely looked a problem in this one. I'm not sure why there's been this shift.

He's still very young, but at times it seems like he just can't be bothered to do things - whether it be track back or play a quick forward pass when someone's calling for the ball. There's a real contrast with someone like Garnacho who seems desperate to get involved and make things happen all the time.

It's a bit disappointing because his technique is excellent and as I said on the first page at least on ability I think he's got enough to make it at Utd. He really needs to up his energy, intensity, focus and desire going forwards.

I've seem comparisons of him with a young Pogba, and I hope he doesn't follow in Pogba's footsteps in becoming a player who likes to destroy attacks and put his own team under pressure by too often being casual and pointlessly dwelling on the ball.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I've commented before on here - including the first page on this thread - that in general this season, including in youth games, he's been "too passive" in his play and "it just seems like someone needs to put a rocket up him at times lately".

I didn't think this was the case with him when I saw him play last season, but it's definitely looked a problem in this one. I'm not sure why there's been this shift.

He's still very young, but at times it seems like he just can't be bothered to do things - whether it be track back or play a quick forward pass when someone's calling for the ball. There's a real contrast with someone like Garnacho who seems desperate to get involved and make things happen all the time.

It's a bit disappointing because his technique is excellent and as I said on the first page at least on ability I think he's got enough to make it at Utd. He really needs to up his energy, intensity, focus and desire going forwards.

I've seem comparisons of him with a young Pogba, and I hope he doesn't follow in Pogba's footsteps in becoming a player who likes to destroy attacks and put his own team under pressure by too often being casual and pointlessly dwelling on the ball.
I think I get most of that except the last bit. I've not noticed any actual evidence of him being caught and losing the ball, but I guess you've seen more of him than I have. You're right about Pogba by the way.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

FFS will you just listen to yourself!! The kid is 17!

Status
Not open for further replies.