Kobbie Mainoo | 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
For those of you seeing Kobbie for the first few times and thinking he’s a ‘keep it simple’ type of midfielder it might be worth seeing some of his youth team highlights! He’s very combative and very good at playing through balls- he’s also extremely press resistant and a fantastic dribbler. I can’t wait for him to bring these skills to a first team game!!

Thanks for that. Kid looks friggin' awesome!

I didn't see the Reading game, but I'd argue keeping it simple is a good thing and a sign of maturity. Not overawed, not anxious to make some sort of -completely unnecessary- mark... just do what the team needs you to do.

What else does a midfielder have to do when going from 3-0 to 3-1 up, against inferior opposition, having made loads of subs? Keep it simple and see the game out, obviously.

Bojan Djordjic

I really like the player, I've seen some excellent performances from him at youth level and he's clearly and understandably very highly rated - but the issue I've noticed with him recently, both in youth team games but also today, is with his general play off the ball. He doesn't always seem completely switched on, or prepared to receive the ball, and he's often a bit too passive in either looking for the ball, tracking runners, or winning the ball back.

When he does get on the ball though he oozes class.

I'm not sure this has always been such a problem with him, or for whatever reason he's not been as alert or energetic this season? But it just seems like someone needs to put a rocket up him at times lately. Hopefully it's just a phase and he finds a bit more determination and focus from somewhere because he's very talented and has the ability to make it at Utd.
I think you're right and its something I've noticed with a lot of the players coming through our academy even the lads I thought at different points would be dead certs like Angel Gomes and Garner. You can even see it with some of the guys that have made it like Rashford, Greenwood and McTominay. Greenwood was our best youth talent in years but he had no clue on what runs to make as a centre forward so ended up being shunted over to wing where his talents weren't optimised. Rashford used to always look for the ball to feet when he really should have been making off ball runs for the likes of Bruno and Pogba to find him. He has improved a lot in this regard but still doesn't get enough poacher type goals. McTominay is just one of the worst off ball players I've ever seen. Always caught in the cover shadow, never aware of what's going on around him. Gomes was a bit like this too and was never able to get on the ball to work to his stengths as a result. It seems like there's a real blind spot in the underage coaching in this regard and it's something I welcome changing if EtH is taking charge of the 23s.

Mwooyo

The posters saying he is too passive this season are right. Compared to last season, he is absolutely just drifting through large parts of games both in the youth teams and now in the first team. Am not bashing him....just Not sure what has changed because he needs to just go back to doing the stuff that got him noticed. I remember even pogbas first few appearances for manutd where exactly the same. Everyone was asking why he was super hyped...until he went to juventus, then it became about how could we let such a talent go. Fingers crossed mainoo turns on the heat some time soon

goalscholes

Needs to bulk up
I was going to say that in the video, it looks like he relies a bit too much on his strength to overcome a lack of pace/ acceleration.

At senior level, he won't get away with that as much.

Footwork is top drawer though.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That was my impression. Actually thought Iqbal looked more assertive in pre-season, which surprises me why Mainyesmoo has the minutes and Iqbal doesn't.
Yeah, I think some posters arr making fair points which are being shut down immediately by others.

But he is still 17 yes.

STYLOISRED

The posters saying he is too passive this season are right. Compared to last season, he is absolutely just drifting through large parts of games both in the youth teams and now in the first team. Am not bashing him....just Not sure what has changed because he needs to just go back to doing the stuff that got him noticed. I remember even pogbas first few appearances for manutd where exactly the same. Everyone was asking why he was super hyped...until he went to juventus, then it became about how could we let such a talent go. Fingers crossed mainoo turns on the heat some time soon
Have you Considered the fact that thr kid may be going through some physical changes which may result in him not being as coordinated in his movements??
And ETH deems him ready to contribute. We can say he doesn’t impose himself this season as much as previous seasons but if the manager is trusting him with gametime then surely there must be something he is doing right.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
it’s almost like he’s 17 having played less than a handful of first team appearances.

People on here actually asking why he’s not being assertive or dominating midfield :houllier: it’s unbelievable

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
it’s almost like he’s 17 having played less than a handful of first team appearances.

People on here actually asking why he’s not being assertive or dominating midfield :houllier: it’s unbelievable
But...but they are FIFA manager 2021 top 25% champions

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
When I was his age I was playing computer games in a cyber cafe and getting C grades at school. Give the kid a break ffs.

And no he is not the new Pogba. Pogfeckoff, stop making every academy midfielder the new Pogba.

city-puma

Not able to get FDJ, Mainoo seems the one ETH wants to develop to that role! How quickly can the process be? He is only 17! Really looking forward to it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
When I was his age I was playing computer games in a cyber cafe and getting C grades at school. Give the kid a break ffs.

And no he is not the new Pogba. Pogfeckoff, stop making every academy midfielder the new Pogba.
If he was the new Pogba, then we should get rid of him asap, but of course he isn't, he's the original Mainoo

Alemar

Not able to get FDJ, Mainoo seems the one ETH wants to develop to that role! How quickly can the process be?
He can already play, and given the circumstances with Eriksen injury, he may well play Garnacho level minutes in the coming weeks.

RedComet91

Not able to get FDJ, Mainoo seems the one ETH wants to develop to that role! How quickly can the process be? He is only 17! Really looking forward to it.
Who knows, but we know it can take a different amount of time for different players.

He hasn't really put a foot wrong in his appearances for the first team so far, even if these appearances have not been spectacular. A CDM needs to be a steady player so this isn't a bad thing at all.

If he develops as planned, his age works well allowing him to be phased in more as Casemiro presumably is phased out as he gets further into his thirties.

Olecurls99

I like the fact that he has that quick step to get away from pressure. That's something that none of our midfielders possess. I definitely think we'll see more of him and he gets to learn from the great Casemiro.

Chairman Steve

The best thing I can say about him so far is I haven’t thought ‘he fecked up there’ the times he’s been on the pitch.

I personally think that centre mid is probably the hardest position to get used too as a teenager, as it requires high awareness and high discipline. Two characteristics you wouldn’t necessarily associate with any teenage player, who are for the most part impulsive and selfish in terms of wanting to grab the glory.

footballbite

But...but they are FIFA manager 2021 top 25% champions
Two more posters who also can't read.

As myself and a couple of others on here have pointed out, the concern is that he's not been assertive in youth team games this season either - whereas last season he was being more assertive and dominating youth games. Even by his own standards he seems to have taken a step backwards in some ways. I don't think a single poster in this thread has said they expect him to be dominating first team games already.

As an aside, it still is possible for a youth player to be a bit too passive in their first senior appearances and it can be pointed out that it's something which they can of course develop going forwards; in a similar manner to how Hannibal was actually too assertive on his first team debut charging around everywhere like a bull and almost getting sent off.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Two more posters who also can't read.

As myself and a couple of others on here have pointed out, the concern is that he's not been assertive in youth team games this season either - whereas last season he was being more assertive and dominating youth games. Even by his own standards he seems to have taken a step backwards in some ways. I don't think a single poster in this thread has said they expect him to be dominating first team games already.

As an aside, it still is possible for a youth player to be a bit too passive in their first senior appearances and it can be pointed out that it's something which they can of course develop going forwards; in a similar manner to how Hannibal was actually too assertive on his first team debut charging around everywhere like a bull and almost getting sent off.
You aren't wrong but I think it's worth saying he's playing in reserve games now, not youth games, which is a bit of a difference in terms of pace and physicality. The majority of our 2nd years always seem to struggle initially when making the step up to the U21s, previously the U23s. I have faith he'll adapt.

city-puma

Who knows, but we know it can take a different amount of time for different players.

He hasn't really put a foot wrong in his appearances for the first team so far, even if these appearances have not been spectacular. A CDM needs to be a steady player so this isn't a bad thing at all.

If he develops as planned, his age works well allowing him to be phased in more as Casemiro presumably is phased out as he gets further into his thirties.
The best thing I can say about him so far is I haven’t thought ‘he fecked up there’ the times he’s been on the pitch.

I personally think that centre mid is probably the hardest position to get used too as a teenager, as it requires high awareness and high discipline. Two characteristics you wouldn’t necessarily associate with any teenage player, who are for the most part impulsive and selfish in terms of wanting to grab the glory.
Yes, it’s really hard, indeed. But Seedorf first started in Ajax at a younger age. Maybe he is our Seedorf after all ;)

Based Adnan

Not sure why so many are concerned with him being a bit passive in his first couple of games at senior level.

When Rashford first broke through all he had was running behind the lines for a while. It wasn't until he was settled and comfortable in the team that we saw his overall ability and flair on the ball. It takes time with young players.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
On one hand a 17 year old midfielder shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end, on the other hand he'll be 18 in a few months.;)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I hope to see him start against Charlton at least. Chance to show what he can do without too much pressure, can try to impose himself a bit more maybe than he has so far.

Edit: Forest

city-puma

Not sure why so many are concerned with him being a bit passive in his first couple of games at senior level.

When Rashford first broke through all he had was running behind the lines for a while. It wasn't until he was settled and comfortable in the team that we saw his overall ability and flair on the ball. It takes time with young players.
Get and agree your point but you probably used the wrong example? Rashford is forward, so the judgement weighs on goals significantly. He scored on every “debut”, league home and away, cup game, European, international. Simply amazing.

Based Adnan

Get and agree your point but you probably used the wrong example? Rashford is forward, so the judgement weighs on goals significantly. He scored on every “debut”, league home and away, cup game, European, international. Simply amazing.
Yeah I'm not saying he was poor or anything. My point was more that we didn't see the whole scale of his ability until he was fully settled in the first team. It's unrealistic to expect a young player to come in and show what they're fully about from the first game.

city-puma

Yeah I'm not saying he was poor or anything. My point was more that we didn't see the whole scale of his ability until he was fully settled in the first team. It's unrealistic to expect a young player to come in and show what they're fully about from the first game.
Yes, That’s definitely the case. Youngsters need and also have time to grow their games and their understanding to the game. It’s ridiculous to expect a full package from the day one.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Eriksen news is a gutter but he’ll be getting lots of opportunities now I think.
No he won't, he may get a start against Forest and that'll be all except some late sub appearances in games we're coasting

Alemar

No he won't, he may get a start against Forest and that'll be all except some late sub appearances in games we're coasting
But McTominay is now also injured. So only Casemiro, Fred and Sabitzer are ahead of him in the pecking order

UDontMessWith24

A lot of the the “keeping it simple” looks simple because he already knows where the ball needs to go before he receives the pass. Even against a Championship club this is impressive at 17 years old. Hell we’ve some midfielders over the years that couldn’t do that at a much older age.

Kostov

I'd rather we give minutes to Kobbie than Fred to be sincere. ETH seems to rate the kid also, so maybe something good will come out of Eriksen's injury after all.

Beaucoup

A lot of the the “keeping it simple” looks simple because he already knows where the ball needs to go before he receives the pass. Even against a Championship club this is impressive at 17 years old. Hell we’ve some midfielders over the years that couldn’t do that at a much older age.
Most fans, especially at academy level are drawn to the flashy type of player that looks good on the eye, dribbling past a couple of players and losing the ball or making the wrong decision, this type of player is viewed as being better than the player that takes a couple of touches and moves the ball quickly. The reality is, keeping it simple is probably 95% of how football should be played, even more so as a No 6. Therefore, in that respect, I see nothing wrong in the way Mainoo is transitioning to adult football.

UDontMessWith24

Most fans, especially at academy level are drawn to the flashy type of player that looks good on the eye, dribbling past a couple of players and losing the ball or making the wrong decision, this type of player is viewed as being better than the player that takes a couple of touches and moves the ball quickly. The reality is, keeping it simple is probably 95% of how football should be played, even more so as a No 6. Therefore, in that respect, I see nothing wrong in the way Mainoo is transitioning to adult football.
The composure it takes to be able to do that against professionals at his age is also rather impressive. Very much ahead of the curve for his age in that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.