Kobbie Mainoo | 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We won the FA youth cup last season. Great to see Garnacho and Mainoo get fast tracked on the back of it, as it should be at any club that prioritises youth (and has places in the team up for grabs) like we do.

I think the clip in question would be something like the milk cup or some youth tour when he was really young. He was obviously classy on the ball.

I love how he manipulates the ball with his first or second touch to make space for himself. It’s really linear or something. Pleasing on the eye. Then he has the ability to drive on, pop it forward through the lines or knock it short. I think he could be a complete kind of press resistant midfielder.
There’s a short clip of him on a youth tour doing some outrageously skilful dribbling in the opposition box. Think it was this pre-season? That might be the clip you’re thinking of? You could pick any number of individual highlights from the Youth Cup last season though. He was amazing in most of them.

This is a good one. An absolutely imperious performance.

CM

I liked what I saw from Mainoo today. He looked brave on the ball which is half the battle for a young midfielder, especially at a club of this size. Looking forward to seeing how he develops

Abraxas

Very composed at 17 years of age. Tidy. A big future, hopefully.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
There’s a short clip of him on a youth tour doing some outrageously skilful dribbling in the opposition box. Think it was this pre-season? That might be the clip you’re thinking of? You could pick any number of individual highlights from the Youth Cup last season though. He was amazing in most of them.

That’s a lovely video alright. Great balance and choice of pass.

For me at that level he’s been as big a stand out as Greenwood or Morrison. To be getting CM minutes at a club the size of Utd at his age just goes to show how highly rated he is here.

TheRedHearted

He looks great, look at how he synchronizes with garnacho.
That’s a lovely video alright. Great balance and choice of pass.

For me at that level he’s been as big a stand out as Greenwood or Morrison. To be getting CM minutes at a club the size of Utd at his age just goes to show how highly rated he is here.
Forgive my ignorance - is he a CAM or a left sided cm?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan wasnt it you that had a clip of him when he was playing in one of the junior cups? He was pretty much our most dangerous player from what I remember seeing.
It might have been and I do share highlights of the youngsters that I do rate highly.

But the first time I saw Kobbie Mainoo playing was when he was 15, and he was a starter against Liverpool in a u18 game that was live on MUTV. I'd heard no hype before hand, and watched the game in question without having any prior knowledge on Kobbie Mainoo or any of the other starters with the exception of the keeper Vitek and Garnacho. And we got absolutely hammered by Liverpool in that game, but Kobbie Mainoo stood out to me in a big way due to his touch and technique being of a high level. I'd started a thread on that game (link below) and people were angry that we had been thrashed and it was said that we had no talent and the u18 team was being neglected and there was also some who questioned a lack of winning mentality in the younger players due to our lack of success in the FA Youth Cup . I disagreed and mentioned Mainoo being a talent and I then started paying more attention to the kid because I thought he had a chance of playing for the first team. Mainoo, Garnacho, Vitek etc went on to win the FA Youth Cup. And it goes to show that you have to be patient with a young group that's making progress and stepping up.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/u18s-man-utd-v-liverpool.464908/

I remember discussing Mainoo with yourself in the past. And I said he's stylistically similar to a young Clarence Seedorf, if people really want to compare him to a black player. But there's a long way to go and it's important to afford the young talents the time and patience, which they will need. But if Mainoo can develop into a first team player, then that's amazing. If he can develop into something more, then we've won the lottery.

Mainoo is from Stockport, and that's normally a Man City strong hold. So credit to the team led by John Murtough at youth level, which managed to sign the player.

Last edited:

bosskeano

this kid impresses me every time he plays....for such a young kid he seems so composed on the ball and he doesn't let the physicality of the league impact his play. He understands i have to play quickly and move smart on and off the ball so these bigger more physical guys can't knock me about

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It might have been and I do share highlights of the youngsters that I do rate highly.

But the first time I saw Kobbie Mainoo playing was when he was 15, and he was a starter against Liverpool in a u18 game that was live on MUTV. I'd heard no hype before hand, and watched the game in question without having any prior knowledge on Kobbie Mainoo or any of the other starters with the exception of the keeper Vitek and Garnacho. And we got absolutely hammered by Liverpool in that game, but Kobbie Mainoo stood out to me in a big way due to his touch and technique being of a high level. I'd started a thread on that game (link below) and people were angry that we had been thrashed and it was said that we had no talent and the u18 team was being neglected and there was also some who questioned a lack of winning mentality in the younger players due to our lack of success in the FA Youth Cup . I disagreed and mentioned Mainoo being a talent and I then started paying more attention to the kid because I thought he had a chance of playing for the first team. Mainoo, Garnacho, Vitek etc went on to win the FA Youth Cup. And it goes to show that you have to be patient with a young group that's making progress and stepping up.

I remember discussing Mainoo with yourself in the past. And I said he's stylistically similar to a young Clarence Seedorf, if people really want to compare him to a black player. But there's a long way to go and it's important to afford the young talents the time and patience, which they will need. But if Mainoo can develop into a first team player, then that's amazing. If he can develop into something more, then we've won the lottery.

Mainoo is from Stockport, and that's normally a Man City strong hold. So credit to the team led by John Murtough at youth level, which managed to sign the player.
Great call to pick him out after a drubbing like that. Spot on as always.
:)

Edwards6

Really impressive today, hopefully he'll keep getting more minutes off the bench with plenty of games coming up. Last seasons fa youth cup win was great and its so good seeing the likes of Garnacho and Mainoo stepping up to the 1st team. It's one of the main reasons I wanted Ten Hag as manager because of his history developing young players it's what United is all about

Strelok

The lad looks very promising. He got the physical for the PL while looks quite comfortable on the ball with good passing. Pretty rare commodity imo.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he turns out to be the new Garnacho next season I'd be very happy

Jeffthered

Great to introduce him to a Premiership game. Great moment for the club, player and his family

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Yeap! My gut feeling is that we'll try to find a suitable loan for him and maybe give Hannibal some kind of a chance to get minutes in the first team. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Hannibal back on loan somewhere again. Then there's Iqbal who in my opinion is better a bit higher up the pitch but played deeper in the camp in Spain. He's definitely going on loan next season though.

suheilsworld

Very decent game. I’m liking what I’m seeing here. Plus our young midfielders will benefit having case, Eriksen and Sabitzer around them in training. Those are some immense role models to have

Longlivekeano

He can pass, he can tackle and he can hold the ball. This was how Brian Clough described young Roy Keane at 17 years. Think Mainoo is an exciting prospect. Pray he betters the likes of Tom Cleverley, James Gardner and have a good career at United with us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For a young player it was a decent cameo, hopefully we see more of him in the cup games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really impressive for his age, and in that position. Probably the hardest position to come in as a kid.

Don't think I see him as a 6. Very much a #8 long term.

NLunited

Clarence Seedorf was my first thought as well, because of his physicality, smooth dribbling and passing. Seedorf had his debut when he was 16.

Hold on to this one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Loved the last ditch tackle on Maddison to stop the shot. He didn't look out of place at all.

Our midfield options are looking pretty solid with him and Mejbri coming through.

eire-red

There was nothing spectacular in his play, but there's something about how he glides across the pitch, his weight of pass and that ability to change pace off his first touch that just looks so good and natural.

EtH said before he doesn't just hand out appearances. Must see something big in this kid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can you imagine... 17, and balls of steel.

I remember being 17 and being nervous AF in most of my games -- and certainly not in front of 75,000 people!!!
Yeah, looks physically stronger too. Have high hopes for him and we have awesome manager to coach him.

footballbite

I think he seems as if he'll take until more like the 24/25 season (18 months) to get to a similar stage that Garnacho has been in this one - i.e. a player who is capable of having a positive impact on tight games from the bench, but isn't yet as effective as a starter.

Mainoo's first team appearances so far have all come at points when the game is basically over already with Utd clearly in front, and the game nearly being played at a snail's pace. Even then he's still been quite tentative and unassuming in getting involved.

It'll still be a while until I think ten Hag trusts him enough and sees that he's ready to actually come on in games that are still in the balance, perhaps another year of development for that. Even then I suspect he'll still be a bit shaky at times. Hence why I suspect it'll still be another 1.5 seasons until he's where Garnacho has been this season.

As with Garnacho though I do think he has the ability to be involved in the first team, and is at the level of talent where the club will keep him around rather than loan him out.

Strelok

I think he seems as if he'll take until more like the 24/25 season (18 months) to get to a similar stage that Garnacho has been in this one - i.e. a player who is capable of having a positive impact on tight games from the bench, but isn't yet as effective as a starter.

Mainoo's first team appearances so far have all come at points when the game is basically over already with Utd clearly in front, and the game nearly being played at a snail's pace. Even then he's still been quite tentative and unassuming in getting involved.

It'll still be a while until I think ten Hag trusts him enough and sees that he's ready to actually come on in games that are still in the balance, perhaps another year of development for that. Even then I suspect he'll still be a bit shaky at times. Hence why I suspect it'll still be a while until he's where Garnacho has been this season.

As with Garnacho though I do think he has the ability to be involved in the first team, and is at the level of talent where the club will keep him around rather than loan him out.
Agree on the part he might take more time. But imo it's rather because of his position. Midfielders usually takes more time to mature than wingers or strikers. Midfielder is probably the most difficult position to play imo.

Kostov

I like what I see from this kid. He seems natural and makes time on the ball when in possession, also a very good tackle. I hope he progresses and takes the place of one of Fred or McT next year.

next_number_seven

There was nothing spectacular in his play, but there's something about how he glides across the pitch, his weight of pass and that ability to change pace off his first touch that just looks so good and natural.

EtH said before he doesn't just hand out appearances. Must see something big in this kid.
He has a lovely burst of pace and is excellent technically with great passing range and weight of passing.

He's certainly good enough to be a PL player depending on other factors.

I think ETH likes players who can switch positions which is why he likes Sancho, Mainoo, Bruno etc.

bosskeano

this kid is going to be a quality addition to our midfield in the very near future....just needs games and experience but technically looks outstanding

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Love this. Seems like an emerging, proper box to box enforcer who is going to be a hybrid between a DM and AM, which is pretty rare, especially at such a young age.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

He looks really really good there. I am impressed, even though its just youth games. Now I just hope we give him more minutes this season, and start rotating him next season.

Is it too much to ask for, even though he is only 17? But I am firm believer of if he is good enough, he is old enough. I mean just look at Pedri and Gavi at Barca, teenage sensational and already first team starters for Barca. I believe we have a gem here too.

NoPace

It'll still be a while until I think ten Hag trusts him enough and sees that he's ready to actually come on in games that are still in the balance, perhaps another year of development for that. Even then I suspect he'll still be a bit shaky at times. Hence why I suspect it'll still be another 1.5 seasons until he's where Garnacho has been this season.

Yeah he's so young that I don't see him being loaned out next year, just taking a year of first-team practice, some cup games and sub appearances and then maybe replacing Fred the year after, when he'll be 19 and Fred 31.

AM: Bruno - Eriksen, Sancho
#8 - Sabitzer (or replacement signing), Eriksen, Fred
DM - Casemiro, DM2

feels like the obvious depth chart next season, and then in 2024-25, maybe this:

AM: Bruno - Eriksen, Sancho
#8 - Sabitzer (or replacement signing), Eriksen, Mainoo
DM - Casemiro, DM2

Status
Not open for further replies.