2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Raven

It's mental what he's doing at 18, I'm massively excited by his development. We haven't had a midfielder of this profile AND talent in such a long time (if ever?). Disappointed to see him on the bench this evening but I'm sure he'll start at the weekend so I can see why.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Needs to play with Amrabat. Not one or the other. Having two actual midfielders instead of one next to basically two 10s is not the way to go.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
This season is a write off the way its going. He should start ever game from now on. We have nothing to lose.

ROFLUTION

That bit when he won the ball and then lifted the ball up to get away from a tackle was just class. When you're good enough, you're calm enough. Just ask Pellestri.
That was so composed. Looked cool on the ball again. Really hope he can be a metronome in midfield.

Not sure we’ve had a player who’s his type yet. Scholes and Carrick were long passers, Keane more defensively minded albeit a great passer too. Small sample size for sure but he looks better when pressured than Eriksen. Seeks the space so he don’t get pressured too much and can easier deliver his passes. Tidy guy so far.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Just class. I don’t care how old he is I reckon he’d have 9 good games out of 10

flameinthesun

It's mental what he's doing at 18, I'm massively excited by his development. We haven't had a midfielder of this profile AND talent in such a long time (if ever?). Disappointed to see him on the bench this evening but I'm sure he'll start at the weekend so I can see why.
Could potentially be the mystical "generational player". The other thing with him is it makes you see just how poor and technically limited our entire midfield is outside of Bruno...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Him and Casemiro would be a great pairing. Suddenly you have a metronome and a destroyer.
It's depressing because Casemiro isn't due back until mid-January and even then, you've to give him a couple of weeks to be match sharp and mentally confident he's free of injury, so we're talking February before we might see them playing without restriction. At this rate, we'll have little to play for by then.

We have to do something in the January window, imo. On top of that, Gore and Hannibal need some PT next to him, as outside of them, we've no-one available who can play at that pace and with that one and two touch, pass and move style. Kobbie's an island at the moment, and that's an indictment on us as he's 18 and just coming into the team. It shouldn't be like that.

the_cliff

Yeah he has it.

A bit disappointed in his role in Gala's 3rd goal, was a bit passive, I know the touch from their striker was excellent as was the finish but he should be tighter there. Other than that a good showing as usual.

He starts vs Newcastle, I just hope ETH will finally pay him with a midfielder that can keep the ball instead of McBruno.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah he has it.

A bit disappointed in his role in Gala's 3rd goal, was a bit passive, I know the touch from their striker was excellent as was the finish but he should be tighter there. Other than that a good showing as usual.

He starts vs Newcastle, I just hope ETH will finally pay him with a midfielder that can keep the ball instead of McBruno.
I am not sure, I thought he followed the run well, it took the attacker to take a perfect touch and then great shot to get that goal from tight angle. It's not like he got away from him, he just executed both actions perfectly, I think the defender is hardly to blame in that situation.

the_cliff

I am not sure, I thought he followed the run well, it took the attacker to take a perfect touch and then great shot to get that goal from tight angle. It's not like he got away from him, he just executed both actions perfectly, I think the defender is hardly to blame in that situation.
I disagree, I think Mainoo himself will be a bit disappointed. I don't think he expected such a good touch from him but he'll learn with experience, he had a good game and I am nit picking but he should have definitely done better for their third goal. If it was Amrabat or Mctominay we would be lamenting them so it's only fair.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I disagree, I think Mainoo himself will be a bit disappointed. I don't think he expected such a good touch from him but he'll learn with experience, he had a good game and I am nit picking but he should have definitely done better for their third goal. If it was Amrabat or Mctominay we would be lamenting them so it's only fair.
No I don't think so. In that kind of situation defender can only make it difficult for the player. But if he pushed on him he would risk a penalty, if he got ahead of him there would be a risk that he stops and goes centrally. I think he made a good decision, the attacker had an awful lot to do to score from this situation and that's pretty much all that Mainoo could do imo. But on the other hand, if this was any other of our "midfielders" it's almost guaranteed that the Gala player would've been bullied.
The player first touch takes him away from the defender and second is a shot on the short post, it's just perfectly executed tbh. I would be surprised if any defender risks a tackle in that situation.
">View post on imgur.com

Parma Dewol

This kid’s taking the piss. In the most frantic of games, amid the most hostile atmosphere, he comes on and acts as though he’s playing in his mate’s back yard. Unbelievably calm and composed, and so clever in picking up space and finding the right pass.

Thought bringing him on in this game could break him. No chance. Some kids are just born ready, make this lad a starter asap.

abailey123

In him and Garnacho you’ve got 2 players you build this team around. He’s excited me so much a maturity beyond his years

Ekeke

Not even close to being true. He goes with the runner and makes an effort to put him under pressure. Its a world class strike (and touches to lead to it) and if its 1% less quality Onana probably saves it because its near side. Just an amazing strike

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't believe I have.
That's why I thought it was a fake tweet. Ridiculous.

I fear dependency. It's abundantly clear he is easily the best midfielder we have available, and it's not even by a close margin. He looks like a player who could feature in any midfield in the world, if not as a starter then as a literal obvious stand-in who everyone knows is a successor to a starter.

He needs to be supplemented. Immediately. Big concern he's going to get overplayed as it becomes more and more apparent we need him out there.

dutchred

We need to play Gore next to him. The two know each other really well and complement each other well. Midfield should be
Gore Mainoo Mount
With Casemiro, Amrabat and Bruno as back ups

RuudTom83

Nice little cameo to get him ready for Newcastle.

United’s season is going to be rollercoaster, but if we can get to the end with Mainoo/Garnacho and Hojlund all bedded into a working system then it will have been worthwhile campaign.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's why I thought it was a fake tweet. Ridiculous.

I fear dependency. It's abundantly clear he is easily the best midfielder we have available, and it's not even by a close margin. He looks like a player who could feature in any midfield in the world, if not as a starter then as a literal obvious stand-in who everyone knows is a successor to a starter.

He needs to be supplemented. Immediately. Big concern he's going to get overplayed as it becomes more and more apparent we need him out there.
I'd like to see Hannibal play deeper next to him. I don't think playing Hannibal in advanced areas makes the best use of his skillset. So I'm hoping to see a midfield containing both youngsters at some point in the season. McTominay is going to carry on being a option due to how soft we're in midfield and his potential to cover ground quickly is likely seen as something we need. But having said that, he seemed to have lost most of his ground duels tonight.

I think Mainoo likely starts against Newcastle who are a team who will look to out run and out fight us by playing a high tempo game. And with the game being at their home ground it's going to be a challenge because their intensity levels are ridiculous high at St James Park and we will need composure on the ball to slow the game down. And I believe come the summer transfer window, we'll look to sign one or maybe two central midfielders to raise the technical quality on the ball as well as raising the physical and athletic capabilities of the teams which are severely lacking right now. And I believe if we do that, then it will create a more balanced midfield where we don't need to rely on only one player.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd like to see Hannibal play deeper next to him. I don't think playing Hannibal in advanced areas makes the best use of his skillset. So I'm hoping to see a midfield containing both youngsters at some point in the season. McTominay is going to carry on being a option due to how soft we're in midfield and his potential to cover ground quickly is likely seen as something we need. But having said that, he seemed to have lost most of his ground duels tonight.

I think Mainoo likely starts against Newcastle who are a team who will look to out run and out fight us by playing a high tempo game. And with the game being at their home ground it's going to be a challenge because their intensity levels are ridiculous high at St James Park and we will need composure on the ball to slow the game down. And I believe come the summer transfer window, we'll look to sign one or maybe two central midfielders to raise the technical quality on the ball as well as raising the physical and athletic capabilities of the teams which are severely lacking right now. And I believe if we do that, then it will create a more balanced midfield where we don't need to rely on only one player.
I'm very concerned about Newcastle's hard running through midfield because it's backed with quality. Bruno Guimaraes might be the best CM in the league by now and Joelinton is very adept at using his size and athleticism well before actually using the ball well. It's backed by hard and clever runners and it's a minefield to play through.

I don't have concerns with Mainoo handling that pace and pressure, but I do have concerns about whoever is in there with him, be it Amrabat or McTominay being able to cope, and in McTominay's case, not being up to speed with what's going on at any time. Can Amrabat play 1 and 2-touch to any degree of competency? Because if he can't, Mainoo is on his own no matter who is starting next to him.

Agree about Hannibal, btw, but I don't even count him for that game as there's no way he'll get the gig.

How far away do you think Gore is? I see you didn't mention him, any particular reason?

mav_9me

I actually feel he is a big liability in midfield, I never feel he is in the right place, feels like he is played around very easy. I also honestly feel he doesn't work as hard as you'd think in defense.