2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sparky Rhiwabon

There aren’t many players in world football history that could play a totally effective game in our midfield as a single pivot against a good attacking team like Spurs. This guy made a decent fist of it at 18 though. He needs help in there though otherwise we’re going to ruin him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Agree, I feel sory for him. I hope Casemiro can come back to his best form
I'm no fan of Casemiro's but that probably is our best midfield base behind whoever as our 10.

I have this pessimistic feeling that ten Hag isn't done with his initial midfield setup for the season, though. You know, the one with one sitting midfielder and two 10s. When everyone is fit again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Casemiro sitting behind two of Eriksen/Bruno/Mount instead of playing another 6 in Mainoo.

I hope I'm wrong because that setup is, and always was, car crash material.

dutchred

I'm no fan of Casemiro's but that probably is our best midfield base behind whoever as our 10.

I have this pessimistic feeling that ten Hag isn't done with his initial midfield setup for the season, though. You know, the one with one sitting midfielder and two 10s. When everyone is fit again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Casemiro sitting behind two of Eriksen/Bruno/Mount instead of playing another 6 in Mainoo.

Mainoo is not yet a #6. He may grow into that in a year or 2, Now we need Casemiro along side and let Mount, Bruno and Eriksen fight out for #10
PS
I feel in the long run Amad could be our best #10

Yagami

Good post resistant
Mainoo is not yet a #6. He may grow into that in a year or 2, Now we need Casemiro along side and let Mount, Bruno and Eriksen fight out for #10
PS
I feel in the long run Amad could be our best #10
I already prefer Mainoo as our 6. For one, he doesn't completely abandon his position by marauding forwards like Casemiro, and two, he's already our best midfielder at receiving the ball from deep and advancing play with composure unrivalled by anyone else in the squad.

I'd have him as our 6 which would allow Casemiro to get forwards like he likes doing without it completely leaving our midfield wide open.

I definitely want to see Amad play, too, but, unfortunately, I can't see him getting a run in the team. Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund are like the only things worth watching this season, and I'd put Amad in with them if he were to play. The seasons already over so I just want to see them play at this point in the hopes that they'll be more settled for next season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Thought he did alright tbh. Its similar to the way Casemiro was treated at the start of the season, in that he's being criticised but he's also being asked to play on his own in midfield.

Fingers crossed ten Hag pairs Mainoo and Casemiro together rather than replacing one with the other.

RedIan

Hes been very impressive in recent games but looked off it yesterday. Not his usual composed self, perhaps was over run with only Erikson in midfield. on the second goal he made the wrong decision to run into the box leaving a big hole behind him for the shot and goal.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Surprised by the comments. I thought he looked quality - really mature and composed on the ball, did his defensive duties and resisted the Spurs press exceptionally well. Exactly what we need in that midfield role.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Surprised by the comments. I thought he looked quality - really mature and composed on the ball, did his defensive duties and resisted the Spurs press exceptionally well. Exactly what we need in that midfield role.
I'm not.

Ekeke

https://fbref.com/en/players/c6220452/scout/365_m1/Kobbie-Mainoo-Scouting-Report

His numbers look tragic tbh. Looks like the typical midfielder our academy seems to produce.

https://fbref.com/en/players/ca22ccb0/scout/365_m2/Hannibal-Mejbri-Scouting-Report

Hannibal in comparison. Wonder who'll turn out to be the better player
He's being compared to 28 year old midfielders with a decade of experience. His age is the key factor here, there arent many 18 and 19 year old midfielders starting 7 league games so far this season and when he has played he's been used as the sitting DM which is even rarer for an 18 year old.

Now yes of course hes competing with some midfielders who should be in their prime years at United. Well hes playing better than these ones

https://fbref.com/en/players/d93c2511/Scott-McTominay

https://fbref.com/en/players/5a2cb25d/Sofyan-Amrabat

https://fbref.com/en/players/980522ec/Christian-Eriksen

As Pogue said, he made 22 of his 29 passes. He had some nice calm moments but some bad ones too. 29 attempted passes from that position is a huge reason we were so dominated.
Personally think he’s suffering from the same issues that had lead many to believe Casemiro went from our best player to “legs have gone” in a matter of 2 months. I don’t think anyone could do the job being demanded of the poor bastard asked to play at the base of United’s midfield.

Gordon S

The tasks Erik gives this kid is something else. Deep end stuff.
People were raving about that Miley kid in Newcastle, but it is almost cheating playing next to Bruno G and Joelinton.
Try owning a PL midfield with a well past it Eriksen as your partner.

AltiUn

As Pogue said, he made 22 of his 29 passes. He had some nice calm moments but some bad ones too. 29 attempted passes from that position is a huge reason we were so dominated.
Personally think he’s suffering from the same issues that had lead many to believe Casemiro went from our best player to “legs have gone” in a matter of 2 months. I don’t think anyone could do the job being demanded of the poor bastard asked to play at the base of United’s midfield.
The idiotic system certainly isn't helping, I don't know how the manager can have watched the midfield be dominated all season regardless of what combination of players he picks for those spots and still not do anything to rectify it.

Cassidy

People were raving about that Miley kid in Newcastle, but it is almost cheating playing next to Bruno G and Joelinton.
Maybe we should have played him with McTominay instead

Ekeke

Spurs had 3 in midfield to our 2 and Mainoo made more passes in the first half than Eriksen, with passing being Eriksen only real strong point playing deep... Yes Spurs dominated us, I dont think our DM was as much of a problem as the poor performing midfielders next to him. But its certainly a game he influenced less than the previous week and most of his others for us. 2 against 3 in midfield was always going to be tough and when his partner is playing worse than he is, its a bit much to expect an 18 year old to outplay such a tactical disadvantage and carry experienced players who are playing worse.

Bentancur and Hojbjerg played better than Mainoo, once again they had the tactical advantage of 3 in midfield vs 2. Skipp created more but I'm not sure he was better than Mainoo overall

There could be an argument to say that Fernandes is supposed to drop deep and make it 3 vs 3 in games like this but his average position is 3rd most advanced of our team. He played further forward than Garnacho on the right. So while he did win the ball more than Mainoo and Eriksen, he was also ahead of the ball a lot and not in a position to help them defend and have a foothold on midfield

Gordon S

Maybe we should have played him with McTominay instead
Erik doesn`t have great options, fair enough. It is just a bit mindboggling that a club of our size have to try and rely on a 18yo to do the basics well in central midfield. It is a difficult task for anyone let alone such a young player.

Cassidy

Erik doesn`t have great options, fair enough. It is just a bit mindboggling that a club of our size have to try and rely on a 18yo to do the basics well in central midfield. It is a difficult task for anyone let alone such a young player.
Hes an excellent talent and ETH is right to try this based on the options. In the long run both Mainoo and the club will benefit

Lemoor

https://fbref.com/en/players/c6220452/scout/365_m1/Kobbie-Mainoo-Scouting-Report

His numbers look tragic tbh. Looks like the typical midfielder our academy seems to produce.

https://fbref.com/en/players/ca22ccb0/scout/365_m2/Hannibal-Mejbri-Scouting-Report

Hannibal in comparison. Wonder who'll turn out to be the better player
They're playing in completely different roles and none of those metrics are good for evaluating a single pivot in a team that doesn't dominate possession.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I fully expect us to continue to play with that same basic shape. But the hope is that it'll be either Mainoo or (more likely IMO) Casemiro who will play in that second #10 role. Playing more advanced than a normal #8 doesn't mean that player has to abandon the midfield as much as what we currently do, so having one of those players in that position should mean the one who is in the single pivot will get a lot more help. I suspect it'll be Mainoo who continues to sit and focus more on playing out from the back, while Casemiro is pushed further forward than he previously has been since he actually is a decent goal threat in his own right.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I thought yesterday's game exposed some of the limitations in his game. Against a very aggressive Spurs midfield his lack of agility left him hanging a few times. His usual calmness and composure wasn't there as the Spurs midfielders harried and dispossessed him off the ball. He needs do things a tad more quicker, just that extra millisecond faster, if he is going to come out on tops against all kinds of midfielder set-ups. He also need to be a lot more mobile and be more aggressive.

However, I am not worried about him. Those things should come with age (except the mobility/agility which is a concern for me) and he would get better as he gets more experience. In an ideal scenario, an 18 year old top midfield prospect will be eased in, get a few minutes here and there, get cup starts and learn his trade that way. Unfortunately, here he is being asked to carry a struggling 9th placed team under a stupid manager. The same is true for Garnacho too. In United teams of the past they would be first choice back-ups with more experienced players carrying the majority of the load. Now it's the opposite, they have to perform while their older and more experienced team mates shit the bed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He's used the same midfield regardless of who has been out there. Eriksen, McTominay, Mount are all used as a 2nd number 10. Or when Eriksen was deep, Casemiro bombs up the pitch. I can't blame the individuals and their bad performances as them going rogue when they all do the same instructions. Ten hag has to abandon this and go for a more typical 4-2-3-1 where he actually has 2 midfielders involved in the build up, control, and the defensive cover.

mav_9me

ETH is asking too much of the deep lying CM, whoever it is. The no 6 is being set up for failure at this point.

Only hope is Casemiro and Martinez help a bit but I don't see it getting better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He wasn't great by any means, but I will not blame him until I see proper midfield setup. Just like I didn't blame Casemiro start of the season. This team does not know how to move the ball through the middle.

AltiUn

He wasn't great by any means, but I will not blame him until I see proper midfield setup. Just like I didn't blame Casemiro start of the season. This team does not know how to move the ball through the middle.
I did blame Casemiro initially but it's obvious the problems run so much deeper than personnel at the moment, particularly in midfield.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yep, setting the midfield up with a teenager who's best position is probably an '8' as a lone DM, then pairing him with a former AM (Eriksen) whose legs have gone, deploying him as a CM and finishing the pairing with an attack minded AM (Bruno), kind of playing half and half as a hybrid 8/10....and he's unable to figure out why we're so open in the midfield and/or why we don't have the legs or discipline to sustain a high press & follow runners....

Rojofiam

I already prefer Mainoo as our 6. For one, he doesn't completely abandon his position by marauding forwards like Casemiro, and two, he's already our best midfielder at receiving the ball from deep and advancing play with composure unrivalled by anyone else in the squad.

I'd have him as our 6 which would allow Casemiro to get forwards like he likes doing without it completely leaving our midfield wide open.

I definitely want to see Amad play, too, but, unfortunately, I can't see him getting a run in the team. Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund are like the only things worth watching this season, and I'd put Amad in with them if he were to play. The seasons already over so I just want to see them play at this point in the hopes that they'll be more settled for next season.
He doesn't have to be a #6 in order to be able to constantly receive the ball from deep. He can do that from #8 just as well and it's one of his best features. Creates a lot of space for both himself and the CBs with his movement off the ball before quickly stepping back to receive from a defender.

It would be better if he had a physical #6 next to him so that he has more freedom to go forward whilst also dropping deep to receive from the defense.

He can basically do the role for us that ETH wanted from de Jong, and he wasn't going to be brought in as a lone DM. Now, de Jong is genuinely an all-timer player in that profile, but Mainoo has superstar potential as well. Thiago is another player I like to compare him to.

Really glad that we have such a great player for such a unique and much needed profile straight from the academy.

Bobski

Fans are going to go nuts when he goes out of the team when Cas is deemed ready.

I do think his performances are being a little over-hyped. His potential is huge, and he has moments of pure class but he is not ready for the responsibility we are giving him, and he shouldn't expected to be.

The_Midfielder

Fans are going to go nuts when he goes out of the team when Cas is deemed ready.

I do think his performances are being a little over-hyped. His potential is huge, and he has moments of pure class but he is not ready for the responsibility we are giving him, and he shouldn't expected to be.
Well he is overrated but he is the only player who can turn with the ball ..
Case cannot..it was Kroos in Real ..
In the spurs game yesterday, he easily progressed the ball past 3 players press .
I think we need somebody beside him better than him, more mobile and a better passer

Winrar

I will if McT starts ahead of Mainoo and/or Case.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The physicality of the game is too much for him in these matches and this system. We had one of the best DMs in football for the past however many years looking atrocious in a single midfield with Fernandes + McTom/Eriksen/Mount ahead of him - expecting an 18 y.o to do that role any better is madness
One thing he struggles with is physicality, good thing we pair him with Eriksen and Bruno both playing in advanced positions.
I think he's a good #6, but needs an actual partner. I think Casemiro + one more dynamic player (Mount?) is the way to go.
It’s clear he’s a good player, but he’s been asked to do an impossible role with the gaps in the midfield.
Poor lad. He's basically a one man midfield every time he plays.
There aren’t many players in world football history that could play a totally effective game in our midfield as a single pivot against a good attacking team like Spurs. This guy made a decent fist of it at 18 though. He needs help in there though otherwise we’re going to ruin him.
I thought yesterday's game exposed some of the limitations in his game. Against a very aggressive Spurs midfield his lack of agility left him hanging a few times. His usual calmness and composure wasn't there as the Spurs midfielders harried and dispossessed him off the ball. He needs do things a tad more quicker, just that extra millisecond faster, if he is going to come out on tops against all kinds of midfielder set-ups. He also need to be a lot more mobile and be more aggressive.

However, I am not worried about him. Those things should come with age (except the mobility/agility which is a concern for me) and he would get better as he gets more experience. In an ideal scenario, an 18 year old top midfield prospect will be eased in, get a few minutes here and there, get cup starts and learn his trade that way. Unfortunately, here he is being asked to carry a struggling 9th placed team under a stupid manager. The same is true for Garnacho too. In United teams of the past they would be first choice back-ups with more experienced players carrying the majority of the load. Now it's the opposite, they have to perform while their older and more experienced team mates shit the bed.
ETH is asking too much of the deep lying CM, whoever it is. The no 6 is being set up for failure at this point.

Only hope is Casemiro and Martinez help a bit but I don't see it getting better.
Yep, setting the midfield up with a teenager who's best position is probably an '8' as a lone DM, then pairing him with a former AM (Eriksen) whose legs have gone, deploying him as a CM and finishing the pairing with an attack minded AM (Bruno), kind of playing half and half as a hybrid 8/10....and he's unable to figure out why we're so open in the midfield and/or why we don't have the legs or discipline to sustain a high press & follow runners....
Glad to see posts like these. He is being given too much to do and without a connective partner to ping balls back and fro with, there's a massive problem for him from the outset.

He's also got a sizeable issue with his stamina in the adult game and a really simple solution to dealing with him is just running him until he gasses, which is when he looks laggy and slower than he initially started the game. It's the manager's job to prevent these things from happening instead of tasking anyone with that role that is more set up for failure than success. Far, far better midfield units than ours ensure that no one player is isolated or ran at all game, either by controlling the midfield outright, or by filling it with able bodies who make pressuring any one player, or even getting clean runs, incredibly difficult. We do not a single thing right in support of the single pivot, and as someone said above, there's a concern that can lead to ruining the player as the load should never ever be as much as we stack. As someone else said, it doesn't matter who is in that role, it's a thankless task that sets the stage for failure; even a routine pass for other midfield #6's is death defying in this set up because the next closest midfielder to balls gone astray is nowhere to be seen.

Smart coaches know to swarm and this will be a theme for the remainder of the season, whether the kid can play through that most of the time isn't relevant; what is is that the times he can't or fails to do so, the set up has us in almost perilous danger from the moment the mistake is made. It's a shambolic way to run a midfield and the caveat should be there in assessment of Mainoo.

OleGunnar20

Glad to see posts like these. He is being given too much to do and without a connective partner to ping balls back and fro with, there's a massive problem for him from the outset.

He's also got a sizeable issue with his stamina in the adult game and a really simple solution to dealing with him is just running him until he gasses, which is when he looks laggy and slower than he initially started the game. It's the manager's job to prevent these things from happening instead of tasking anyone with that role that is more set up for failure than success. Far, far better midfield units than ours ensure that no one player is isolated or ran at all game, either by controlling the midfield outright, or by filling it with able bodies who make pressuring any one player, or even getting clean runs, incredibly difficult. We do not a single thing right in support of the single pivot, and as someone said above, there's a concern that can lead to ruining the player as the load should never ever be as much as we stack. As someone else said, it doesn't matter who is in that role, it's a thankless task that sets the stage for failure; even a routine pass for other midfield #6's is death defying in this set up because the next closest midfielder to balls gone astray is nowhere to be seen.

Smart coaches know to swarm and this will be a theme for the remainder of the season, whether the kid can play through that most of the time isn't relevant; what is is that the times he can't or fails to do so, the set up has us in almost perilous danger from the moment the mistake is made. It's a shambolic way to run a midfield and the caveat should be there in assessment of Mainoo.
Spot on.

The setup is suicidal from whichever angle you look at it. Mainoo would be great as an #8 alongside Cas in a traditional, well drilled 4231. Bruno is fine in the #10 if he can learn to drop in and help the midfield keep its shape. If not, Mount is the perfect man for that role, despite his other shortcomings.

Eriksen can slot in as 3rd choice at #10. Amrabat covers Cas, and I'd keep Hannibal around to rotate with Mainoo. McTom can go to whoever wants his .. unique skillset this month, he fits no role in this system.

mav_9me

Spot on.

The setup is suicidal from whichever angle you look at it. Mainoo would be great as an #8 alongside Cas in a traditional, well drilled 4231. Bruno is fine in the #10 if he can learn to drop in and help the midfield keep its shape. If not, Mount is the perfect man for that role, despite his other shortcomings.

Eriksen can slot in as 3rd choice at #10. Amrabat covers Cas, and I'd keep Hannibal around to rotate with Mainoo. McTom can go to whoever wants his .. unique skillset this month, he fits no role in this system.
Sorry to break it to you. He gone.

Lost bear

Looked usual himself. Assured on the ball, nice decisive passing through the lines. We didn't see him defending a lot so that's still a question mark.
Thanks. Great to have him back.
Yes, Mainoo imo did better than anyone had a right to expect from such a tactically eccentric midfield, which unfortunately ETH appears determined to die on a hill for.