View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As an academy watcher, there really isn't any better feeling than seeing one of the young lads make their debut. Really repaid Ten Hag's faith in him with a great performance. Here's to many more.

Foolsgold21

The Stockport FDJ.

Cracking start - god we need him to continue in similar vein throughout December.

ole@thewheel

Brilliant.

The fact that he had that performance on a very unpleasant away game, definitely shows that the kid has the maturity to step up, as a regular first teamer.

I guess Ten Hag found his De Jong, after all...

Irwin99

Very impressive. Just kept things ticking nicely, carried the ball well and the goal clearance was immense.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Absolutely chuffed for him. If only he wasn’t scythed down during the preseason.
It's almost a rite of passage for our uber talented young players to get a huge injury before they can make their competitive debut.

Strelok

He was excellent today. So fast, calm and composed on the ball. Please start the lad he derseves it ETH.

FerociousCorgis

Was amazed to see a midfield do something other than pass back to onana when receiving a pass from our gk

arnie_ni

So calm and collected. He looks a baller. Get him more minutes and then alongside case will be good.

Northstand

I thought he was good but how people are giving him MOTM is beyond me. He gave the ball away a lot and didn't really do anything special. He kept it simple, which is good, and he worked hard. I want to see more of him, but I think people are getting carried away here and are going to end up putting unrealistic expectations on him if we are giving him 8/10 for a 6/10 performance.
Under no circumstances could that be rated a 6/10 performance, and I don't agree that he gave the ball away a lot. Add in the fact that it was the lad's first start in a tough away performance, and that he didn't get adequate support from some of his team mates, and I think people on here have every right to be excited about the prospects for this kid. He was exceptional for me.

NZT-One

The minute he got injured pre-season, our performances took a nosedive
That isn't true. The whole pre-season wasn't really great at all and while Mainoo certainly was a positive spark (but mostly because of his profile of being a youngling and a relative unknown entity), but it wasn't stellar or anything. And our performances didn't really have enough height to even do a nosedive.

He had a fantastic game tonight, really hope we will see more of him from now on. But lets keep it grounded. Not too long into the future and opponents will be prepared for him. Boxing him in, being physical whatever. Thats when we will see if he is something to build up from.

madzo2007

Now I can see why ETH was so disappointed to lose him to injury. Him and Casemiro "should" work well together.

Calmness and composure beyond his years

Winrar

Tough place to get his first start, but he didn't look out of place at all. Exciting prospect.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For all those who have doubts before, does this performance convince you lot?

Thiagoal

You can tell class when you see it and this boy can play with a cigar- amazing performance

Woziak

Now I can see why ETH was so disappointed to lose him to injury. Him and Casemiro "should" work well together.

Calmness and composure beyond his years
He was immense for England under 19’s too as they thrashed Mexico. England have lacked this type of midfield for a long time, we just need him to start 5 or 6 games and united need A big performance from him against Galatasaray in the week?

the_cliff

That isn't true. The whole pre-season wasn't really great at all and while Mainoo certainly was a positive spark (but mostly because of his profile of being a youngling and a relative unknown entity), but it wasn't stellar or anything. And our performances didn't really have enough height to even do a nosedive.

He had a fantastic game tonight, really hope we will see more of him from now on. But lets keep it grounded. Not too long into the future and opponents will be prepared for him. Boxing him in, being physical whatever. Thats when we will see if he is something to build up from.
For once I'm not worried about a midfielder we have. People don't understand how good Mainoo is. He's always two steps ahead when on the ball, he's one of those midfielders that you can't get near and the opposition won't even bother to try and give up after a while.

The first minute is a good example, simple 1-2 when surrounded by Everton Midfielders to get out of a tight situation. The most impressive thing about Mainoo is that he knows what he's going to do before receiving the ball, which is a rare trait for a Manchester United midfielder post Scholes/Carrick and is the reason why I'm optimistic about him.

He's so good that barring injuries he'll be on the plane with the England squad this summer.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
MOTM

1 min 24 the cheeky nutmeg was crazy good, no one else does that for us.

Thought today was a harsh game to start him, how wrong was I? Absolutely has to keep playing him now. Him, Bruno, plus one other going forward.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I love watching players like him, the minute he steps on the pitch is the minute you see how he positions himself on the pitch in a way not only our backline gets an easy passing option, but also occupies opposition players around him who have to either commit to marking him (what leaves space in central areas) or take a risk that he gets the ball and actually does something positive with it. He is the best ball progresor in the team, not FDJ but he has FDJ element and definitely adds another dimension to our game.

If team continues to play as two groups (defence or attack) with nobody wanting to occupy the midfield, then Mainoo is going to be a starter most weeks.

He is a more silky mobile version of Amrabat, and has more defensive instincts than any other CM in the team.
I don't think that is true, or at least I have not seen it yet. Casemiro has the best "defensive instincts" in the team, no doubt about it, but the rest of our players have close to no defensive instinct when it comes to playing in midfield. The jury is still out for Mount and Mainoo IMO. I think Kobbie strengths lie elsewhere tbh.
I would love to see him paired with Casemiro.

Faetheshire86

Doubters in shambles!

...oh wait they are downplaying his performance. Highest passing % in the team = "kept giving the ball away" :rolleyes:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was immense for England under 19’s too as they thrashed Mexico. England have lacked this type of midfield for a long time, we just need him to start 5 or 6 games and united need A big performance from him against Galatasaray in the week?
Well England will definitely have the best midfield in decades with Bellingham, Mainoo and Rice there.

Rossa

We finally have a player who can do those quick turns and lose two defenders with one movement. Andrson and Giggs were probably the last we had in cm with that agility?

Equally important, passing was crisp and precise. He looked like he had played the game for a decade at that level.

sleepehead

Brilliant.

The fact that he had that performance on a very unpleasant away game, definitely shows that the kid has the maturity to step up, as a regular first teamer.

I guess Ten Hag found his De Jong, after all...
He must've been excited after seeing him last season in the academy. It felt like he got fast tracked because he knew he had exactly what he needs in the youth team. And credit to Mainoo for taking that chance and running away with it

dutchred

would love to see him alongside Casemiro. I believe he will bring the best out in the old fella

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Well England will definitely have the best midfield in decades with Bellingham, Mainoo and Rice there.
If Mainoo can carry this on, then he is EXACTLY what England need. That midfield trio would dominate. Big if though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He has time on the ball. He makes it for himself. That’s a quality you can’t teach. He’ll go far if he works hard.

FriedClams

I was laughed at for saying that he would be the difference between us finishing top 4 or not. I just hope ETH doesn’t drop him for Mount when the latter is fit.
Honestly, why do people on here have an incessant urge for the "I told you so" posts. No-one was genuinely laughing at you, people were urging caution to place such a huge burden on a completely untested player in the premier league.

Rojofiam

Don't want him ran into the ground at 18 in his first season, but needs to be our first choice immediately. Knew he was going to be vital since we haven't had a proper #8 for years.