2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Red00012

Good performance and considering McTominay and Bruno were of no use I’d classify that performance as excellent instead

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Tears of joy...

It's been years since our recruitment team bought someone who could actually do this. Thank God for our academy.

How do you spend £1 billion on transfers and not buy a single central midfielder who's happy to take the ball off your back line and carry it forward..?

Tender Teacher

Wasnt he a CB?
Nope, Oxford was a DM in his early West Ham days.

Look at the reaction to his debut:
Arsenal 0-2 West Ham United - BBC Sport

He was exactly the same in his first team debut in the cup last year. His composure is ridiculous, but he’s also very nimble, agile, and perceptive. Those aren’t things you can just turn on on the good days, they’re just great fundamentals to build from.
Good fundamentals, but not enough to become a truly top notch midfielder. He probably needs another few outstanding natural gifts to have that potential, for instance the stamina & aggression to become a Kante, the passing range to become a Jorginho or the strength & dribbling to become a Toure. Obviously he can develop these assets, but they should already be standing out if he's to ever to truly excel in them.

Alemar

Hopefully Mainoo will be pairing Casemiro quite soon. What a midfield could it be then.

Red00012

The hype is justified.
That ball to find Bruno at the end :drool: I think he played a similar ball in pre season that lead to a goal .

Special shout-out also for him for the clearance off the line and avoiding whacking it off Maguire’s head

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I want him next to Casemiro, not instead of him. Those behind Bruno/Mount would be great.
But Casemiro moves like an old man and Mount is seemingly quite mediocre. Surely they are the kind of Glazer signings we need to stop making?

luke511

Quality player. Amad is going to have the same impact as him as well, we could have a very strong second half of the season if we're fortunate with injuries.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Yes, being MOTM at his young age is certainly impressive. But what stood out for me was his maturity. He looked like a seasoned professional out there.

Castia

Looked class in pre season and today justified his hype. I’m trying to keep my expectation in check but he looks fecking class.

I hope he’s pushed ahead of Amrabat from here on out.

led_scholes

Excellent performance.

I really hope he can be paired with Casemiro. McT and Bruno didn't help him at all.

tomaldinho1

Great to see someone with a bit of a burst of acceleration and who is neat and tidy in there. Hope that performance now pushes for him to start.

Tarrou

Looks like one of those rare midfielders who can master the DLP role

even rarer to see a player like that with a bit of bite to them too

nothing better for me as a fan than seeing talents come through, and a proper CM too

Hester_manc

It's still too early to judge him yet. For example, who did not think that Machedo or Januzaj became the next stars?

But judging from the match today, Mainoo reminds me a bit of a young Kanté. Both in body structure, the low center of gravity, techniques and the foresight.

Oranges038

He was extremely neat, tidy and composed, but I also remember Reece Oxford making a very similar debut for West Ham at 16 years old.

I'd need to see more of and from him to get too excited.
That feels like a lifetime ago but he's still only 24.

I watched the game back and what we saw today was a midfielder doing a lot of the basic things from a midfielder that we haven't seen for a long long time. So, it's not a surprise that people will jump the gun and go overboard in their praise.

Mainoo is a very talented young lad, he has a great touch, passing, vision and awareness. He's also got those subtle body movements where he can just shuffle his hips and send a pressing player the wrong way by barely moving. You can see the potential, but he shouldn't be put out there as some kind of midfield saviour just yet.

Swiss_Red89

Phew he really seems to be some player. I really must calm myself down a bit to not go overboard with my hope for this guy now. :lol:

AnotherLondonManc

Let's not get carried away here. Yes, Mainoo played well today, but it was his full premier league debut, and he still just 18 years old. Still a long way to go.

Will be at least 3-4 years before he wins the ballon d'or :keano:

the_cliff

Nope, Oxford was a DM in his early West Ham days.

Look at the reaction to his debut:
Arsenal 0-2 West Ham United - BBC Sport

Good fundamentals, but not enough to become a truly top notch midfielder. He probably needs another few outstanding natural gifts to have that potential, for instance the stamina & aggression to become a Kante, the passing range to become a Jorginho or the strength & dribbling to become a Toure. Obviously he can develop these assets, but they should already be standing out if he's to ever to truly excel in them.
His passing range is very good. He's just the anti-Bruno in the sense that he doesn't try too many risky passes and prefers retaining possession. He's a proper midfielder. His pass to free Bruno on the right hand side is proof of this.

GreatDane

But Casemiro moves like an old man and Mount is seemingly quite mediocre. Surely they are the kind of Glazer signings we need to stop making?
Sure, but they are already signed now, not much to do about it now.
I also think that Casemiro would look alot better with a player like Mainoo next to him and not told to be the lone DM.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Sure, but they are already signed now, not much to do about it now.
I also think that Casemiro would look alot better with a player like Mainoo next to him and not told to be the lone DM.
Well sure bit the early season indications were that ETH wanted Casemiro to fill that gap on his own so that Mount and Bruno coul attack more. Which is when he started to look like his legs were gone and we really needed an 18 year old version of him. Which is why I imagine ETH is so happy about today's performance (albeit alongside McT so let's not get too excited.)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Tears of joy...

It's been years since our recruitment team bought someone who could actually do this. Thank God for our academy.

How do you spend £1 billion on transfers and not buy a single central midfielder who's happy to take the ball off your back line and carry it forward..?
Attacking the space. Love it.

Lentwood

That performance was pure class and demonstrated world class potential.

World class potential on its own isn't enough, of course, as Greenwood, Janujaz and arguably even Timothy Fosu-Mensah (before the two ACLs) also had it - and all disappointed for various reasons.

However, this is not some local lad hype-train, talked up way beyond his abilities (cough...Rashford) but genuine talent that we have a fighting chance of moulding into a genuinely top first-team player.

Hughes35

I will be honest. I thought he was a top talent but wouldn't stand out like some posters seemed to think.

He was brilliant today. Best player on the pitch by a mile. Complete midfield performance, passing, energy, decision making, dribbling, tackles, strength etc etc. Very excited to see him develop.

Still needs some caution though, I still wouldn't be surprised if he has an off day as he's 18. If he does, we can't be too harsh.

Trophy Room

That performance was pure class and demonstrated world class potential.

World class potential on its own isn't enough, of course, as Greenwood, Janujaz and arguably even Timothy Fosu-Mensah (before the two ACLs) also had it - and all disappointed for various reasons.

However, this is not some local lad hype-train, talked up way beyond his abilities (cough...Rashford) but genuine talent that we have a fighting chance of moulding into a genuinely top first-team player.
Janusaj and TFM never demonstrated world class potential.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Reminds me of Pogba in style but turns like De Jong but also is far more defensive than those two. Long way to go but seems to have a sensible head

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Didn’t know this lad was from Stockport. I work in Stockport. Another quality player from Stockport after Foden.