2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

CM

Another big performance from him yesterday. Loved the footwork in that burst he had down the left early in the game. Special player, just hope we manage him correctly over the next couple of years.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Steady on, if he’s as good as Frenkie in 5 years we’ll be doing well.
Honestly, I feel like Mainoo with his strength has every chance to be right up there. Frenkie is faster in a sprint but Mainoo's physique is much stronger and much more suited to the prem.

the_cliff

I think yesterdays game has officially put him on the map. I've seen fans of other teams praise him before but after his performance yesterday I've seen a lot of other fans realise he's special.

criticalanalysis

FDJ is no all timer unless we just hand that term out to anyone and everyone.
Yeah that's such an odd praise. He's extremely talented but he doesn't have the prolonged performances and dominance (in his position or as an individual player) to be near that conversation.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Similar to what Mainoo is doing for us, but a bit better overall IMO, especially defensively
Deep player?

Might be wrong but when Busquets was Barca player, DeJong was playing in advanced role.

Might be on talent he is but his performance levels are not at that level, at least not for many years to talk about all time level.

Anyways I just wanted to check the role thing.

Rossa

His dribbling is about timing and necessarily pace.
It is about timing and body feints, but he is also able to accelerate away from players. We saw that at least three or four times yesterday. Two times running into the box and once or twice in the middle of the park. He has a pretty good acceleration, and drives forward well with the ball. Therefore, I think his lack of pace in his recovery runs is as much about a lack of intensity as it is downright speed. Some players, like Robertson never give up even if they are way behind, but they run their hearts out and when the attacker slows down, they are right there and either tackles or gets in their way. When a player is in front of Mainoo, he doesn't exert himself as if he doesn't think he will catch him. When he's running beside them, he seems to be much faster - again, intensity.

Grande

It is about timing and body feints, but he is also able to accelerate away from players. We saw that at least three or four times yesterday. Two times running into the box and once or twice in the middle of the park. He has a pretty good acceleration, and drives forward well with the ball. Therefore, I think his lack of pace in his recovery runs is as much about a lack of intensity as it is downright speed. Some players, like Robertson never give up even if they are way behind, but they run their hearts out and when the attacker slows down, they are right there and either tackles or gets in their way. When a player is in front of Mainoo, he doesn't exert himself as if he doesn't think he will catch him. When he's running beside them, he seems to be much faster - again, intensity.
Possibly. It seems to me he has a low centre of gravity and a quick first step. That way he can break away from a player the first two metres, and also catch someone with a lunge or tackle, but even over five metres his pace looks more average, wether attacking or defending. He might also improve his base speed, running power and stamina through technique and training, but I doubt he’ll ever be among the fast players either short or long distance sprint. But his timing and precision when releasimg the ballnis fantastic.

Red_Aaron

He was a breath of fresh air when he first got in the team purely from how composed he was and how he stayed neat and tidy in possession. We've been starved of a decent midfielder for so long it was wonderful to just see the basics being done so well

Then over the past few games he's started to really express himself and as well as doing all the above he's suddenly beating players for fun. His link up play in the final third on Sunday was like a seasoned 10! The kids has got layers and layers - I cannot overstate how excited I am to watch this guy play for us for years and years

Raven

Probably the most talents youngster I've ever seen come through here. Was too young to see the class of 92 come through.

Ekeke

I suspect Mainoo may not go to the Euros and if he does he'll be there for the experience rather than the expectation that he starts. I full expect it to be England's first choice midfield by the next World Cup though.

I think Bellingham will play deeper for England, though he'll remain as the most advanced midfield player. With England, I think there's less of a need for him to play as high up the pitch as we have Kane there.
I think thats why he will play that far forward.

Kane likes to drop off and play others in and Madrid have the pace of Rodrygo and Vinicius running in behind the defence so Bellingham can arrive behind them in support and finish off chances.

Bellingham would be the one supplying the legs in behind that Kane wont. And if you have Bellingham playing a traditional midfield role you aren't going to have the Madrid or last season at Dortmund Bellingham which focuses on attack. Its still different to Madrid and with Kane in the team you can't really emulate Madrid's tactics but you obviously want your star player to come as close as possible to what they're able to do elsewhere and with Bellingham the last 2 seasons thats leave midfield behind and become a forward when the team has the ball.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He has no right to be this composed 15 games into his career. Ridiculous talent.

He doesn't seem to be the quickest, but on the ball his speed of thought and balance make him hard to dispossess. Defensively his positioning and physicality will improve, but he is already always making excellent interceptions and blocks.

This kid is going to be a star.

Son

In Goal.com’s NXT Gen awards he’s only the 7th best young player in the world apparently…

Maybe I know little about football but the Premier League having only 3 young players in the top 31 is quite hilarious.

Placing the next South American wonderkid ahead of someone who’s already arguably playing at a better level than they may ever get to in their whole career is funny to me.

Guv77

Our very own Seedorf regen… just needs a Davids regen next to him.

Pughnichi

Its day and night between him receiving the ball on tight space compared to Bruno. Add to that he is stronger and can glide across the turf, He needs better partners in middle 3.
Absolutely. It irritates so much when I see Bruno giving him advice…close your ears Mainoo

raydon

Gem of a player. I'm actually glad Southgate hasn't called him up for the friendlies. Risk of injury which we cant afford plus the pressure that accompanies an England cap. There will be plenty of time for that down the road. ATM we need him for the run in.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Gem of a player. I'm actually glad Southgate hasn't called him up for the friendlies. Risk of injury which we cant afford plus the pressure that accompanies an England cap. There will be plenty of time for that down the road. ATM we need him for the run in.
He’s most likely to play more minutes for England U21 than he would’ve if he was called up to the senior squad.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In Goal.com’s NXT Gen awards he’s only the 7th best young player in the world apparently…

Maybe I know little about football but the Premier League having only 3 young players in the top 31 is quite hilarious.

Placing the next South American wonderkid ahead of someone who’s already arguably playing at a better level than they may ever get to in their whole career is funny to me.
On the bolded, the issue there is that there are few 18 year olds playing first team football in the PL. These types of lists lend themselves to the South American wonderkids who actually do get the chance to play professional football earlier.

On the actual rankings, I think the names around him are fair. I'd have personally say there's only about 3 of them who I'd have higher, but the top 10 according to them is:

1. Lamine Yamal
  2. Endrick
  3. Warren Zaire-Emery
  4. Mathys Tel
  5. Arda Guler
  6. Vitor Roque
  7. Kobbie Mainoo
  8. Kenan Yidliz
  9. Claudio Echeverri
  10. Leny Yoro
I would have Mainoo 4th, probably. Yamal is a bit of a phenom; 16 years old and he's basically Barcelona's best attacker this season. Endrick is a year older and already has 2 Brazilian caps -- I think he might be the youngest to ever do it. Zaire-Emery is having a Mainoo like impact for PSG with more experience in the CL and also has been capped for France now too.

Still -- 4th; 7th -- it's all a bit arbitrary.

Red00012

You jinxed it

Mike Smalling

Don't see the problem with him being called up. Helps with his development if he gets some minutes, and he will perhaps maintain some match sharpness as well. If he's going to be a top player, he will become an international pretty soon anyway.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
What a boost for him. He’ll probably play less minutes, if any, than he would’ve for the U21s.