Kobbie Mainoo

Coops73

Just amazing.
Bloody hell he looks good, what is he 16? There’ll be ups and downs obviously and I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to youth football and how these players will develop but rarely do I watch clips of a kid like that and think wow!

Anyone know where he’s from?

Ok just Googled he’s from Stockport

Devil’s Trident

He also uses a lot of flick passes in that video, similar to what we have seen Pogba do in the past.

Again, I'm not comparing them as players, just stating in that one video there are similarities.
Your observation is spot on. I felt the same when i first watched him last year. He is eerily similar to pogba the way he runs, receives and passes the ball. Even the skillset for a midfielder is as similar as Paul’s.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's very, very good. I think last night was probably the best I've seen him play. Their #4 was running the show first half, Mainoo gets put against him in the second half and bossed him. One to watch for sure.

macheda14

One thing I noticed from that reel is he seems incredibly one footed, has anyone who's watched him more noticed this?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's some similarities with Pogba but Mainoo is a different player imo. He's far more clued up off the ball from what I've seen and can be deployed in several roles centrally. He's also very good at retaining possession and keeping it simple and knowing when to break lines. And that's something you can't teach, and something that I've been especially impressed by.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Just give him another 12 months and the scouts on the Caf will declare him to be useless or cant see it or at best a League 1 player.
What are you basing this on? I find opinions in the Youth Forum to be very reasonable and informed.

Just finished watching the Leicester game and Mainoo was the standout for me. Looked astonishingly accomplished and comfortable for such a young age

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Pogba was like this in our academy teams. He hasn't been able to consistently perform for us in the men's team though. Capable of great games but they are few and far between.

Let's not hype this kid up too much. He's got a long way to go.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Pogba was like this in our academy teams. He hasn't been able to consistently perform for us in the men's team though. Capable of great games but they are few and far between.

Pogba rarely did it for 90 minutes in the reserves, loss of concentration and intensity was always his problem which is why Fergie thought he wasn't trying hard enough. Admittedly he dominated more in the U18 but he was still inconsistent. A consistently switched on version of Pogba would be a scary prospect for the rest of the league. I think Mainoo will be his own player though, haven't seen the rocket shots off both feet that Pogba used to do for example, but I think he perhaps uses the ball better than Pogba did at that age. Remarkable how maturely Mainoo plays though at this stage.

Bertie Wooster

Very impressed with Mainoo this season.

He's definitely the most excited I've been about a CM since Pogba was coming through. And he's one of the best prospects of any position since then.

He's got all the physical and technical attributes needed for a top quality, box to box CM, at such a young age. Obviously that's no guarantee he'll make it - injuries, lack of dedication / opportunities, etc, can always mean a top youngster fails to progress as much as they could in the senior game.

But Kobbie definitely has all the tools needed for a top CM. He looks ready to step up to the U23's next season and hopefully he'll continue his impressive trajectory at that higher level.

GueRed

Pogba and Mainoo are completely different type of midfielders imo

Mainoo can tackle and sense danger better than Pogba. He's also more willing to get stuck in..and his timing in tackling is better.
He can do a bit of everything in midfield box to box...

Pogba at that age was technically better. The range of passing and shooting he displayed was just exceptional.

It's still very early days for Mainoo but so far he has progressed very well.

SAFMUTD

I agree, but if he's not challenging for the Ballon d'Or in a couple of years I'll be shocked.

jesperjaap

Impressive video for a 16year old thats for sure. Kind of youtube video you usually see of career highlights of a hyped up youth talent. Looks like he has great balance, strength and technique at such an age.

I refuse to get excited about many youths nowadays, but considering we are refusing to sign central midfielders it seems and that we do have Hannibal and this Mainoo, I am filled with optimism that we could see the demise of McFred by 2027

Bondi77

Any chance to shit on our own current player pogba
I can only assume that you are not old enough to have watched Fabregas in his time in the Premier League or you were not interested in football at the time and sadly by watching YouTube it cannot show all of his general play and influence on a game.
Fabregas shits on most midfielders that have played in the Premier League....Pogba is not on his own in that regard.

spenzo

You'd think surely one of Kobbie or Isak has to make the breakthrough at some point if they keep developing like they have been. Hopefully both do.

lysglimt

Scout
I can't recall the last time the future was so promising in regards to youngsters - these days you can easily mention 15 players with a decent chance to break through. Fernandez, Hannibal, Shoretire, Mainoo, Hansen Aarøen, McNeill, Garnacho, Hugill, Iqbal to name some. But Mainoo looks to be special.

The Red Thinker

I can't recall the last time the future was so promising in regards to youngsters - these days you can easily mention 15 players with a decent chance to break through. Fernandez, Hannibal, Shoretire, Mainoo, Hansen Aarøen, McNeill, Garnacho, Hugill, Iqbal to name some. But Mainoo looks to be special.
Unless we get a manager who believes in promoting youth, we’ll waste all that talent.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Only 18 and don’t want to rush them but it’d be nice to see Hugill or McNeill get some minutes next season. HUGE step up in level I realise but we’re not swamped with CF choices and if we get to the end of the season and can’t make top.4 (hope not!), maybe some minutes this season.

Also got Garner (and Pellistri) as possibles too?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I haven't checked but he's definitely amongst the youngest or is the youngest player in the group. He's a brilliant player and exudes class. I think he has the highest ceiling out of the current players at u18 level.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Very exciting player. Him and a goalscorer (Garnacho?), buy a top DM of some description, give Hannibal his opportunity, imagine if it all worked out :drool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Just a sublime player. Ridiculous.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
agree

Manioo is looking deadly.

Daniel_M7

When do we think we can se this lad in the main squad? At the beginning of next season? He will then be at the same age as when Bellingham started playing for Dortmund. Must admit he looks absolutely amazing.

Thiagoal

When do we think we can se this lad in the main squad? At the beginning of next season? He will then be at the same age as when Bellingham started playing for Dortmund. Must admit he looks absolutely amazing.
There’s nothing in his game where I’d say ‘he needs more time to develop’ he’s strong, composed, athletic. I can see him skipping the U23’s and getting game time with the first team next season- he’s that good (and our current options are that bad)

STYLOISRED

I don't see Pogba resemblance in this video. His movement reminds me of Matic not Pogba.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The funny thing reading all the praise now is that at the start of the season, we played Liverpool and were comfortably beaten. And many posters were extremely dissapointed with the players, with some suggesting there wasn't any talent in the team and others complained about the club neglecting the 18s and how a winning mentality wasn't being developed. Kobbie Mainoo was in that team and it just shows that we should be patient with kids and let them develop at their own pace.

The thread in question below.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/u18s-man-utd-v-liverpool.464908/

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The funny thing reading all the praise now is that at the start of the season, we played Liverpool and were comfortably beaten. And many posters were extremely dissapointed with the players, with some suggesting there wasn't any talent in the team and others complained about the club neglecting the 18s and how a winning mentality wasn't being developed. Kobbie Mainoo was in that team and it just shows that we should be patient with kids and let them develop at their own pace.

The thread in question below.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/u18s-man-utd-v-liverpool.464908/
Without even reading the thread, I could've guessed the posters making the negative comments. It's always the same people.

lysglimt

Scout
Without even reading the thread, I could've guessed the posters making the negative comments. It's always the same people.
But in fairness - the first few games we looked absolutely awful defensively.