Kylian Mbappé

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
we used to get Serie A on channel 4 (our national TV channel) and La Liga and Prem on sky 1. Now its split across mulitple different streaming services. I feel Mbappe has shown from a young age, similar dominance, intelligence, pace and skill (maybe a bit less). He tore the CL apart at 17 won the world cup at 20 (younger than Ronaldo not including his 94 one as he didnt play) Mbappe goal record is quite "fenomeno"
Mbappé is brilliant, one of the most exciting players to watch nowadays. But peak Ronaldo was really different: he would do several slaloms during a match, his first touch was brilliant, his dribbling out of this world. Career wise Mbappé will always have the edge, though

Stacks

Maybe it's nostalgia but Ronaldo felt different. And maybe I'm underrating Mbappé but I would put him closer to young Aguero when it comes to impression, the one that was used in different roles at Atletico.
I felt Kun disappointed internationally and hasn't really made a huge mark on the CL. Mbappe did all that by 21. Kun was great in La Liga but never saw him lead the other competitions. I see Mbappe more R9 than Kun. Kun is more like Rooney to me

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mbappé is brilliant, one of the most exciting players to watch nowadays. But peak Ronaldo was really different: he would do several slaloms during a match, his first touch was brilliant, his dribbling out of this world. Career wise Mbappé will always have the edge, though
Yeah peak Ronaldo was much better. Mbappe is even more of a moments player which I'd argue is a slight negative.

But I don't know what we mean by better career. Your nationality has an impact on your trophy count at national level and imo your career has to be seen in context.

Pintu

I felt Kun disappointed internationally and hasn't really made a huge mark on the CL. Mbappe did all that by 21. Kun was great in La Liga but never saw him lead the other competitions. I see Mbappe more R9 than Kun. Kun is more like Rooney to me
Except Rooney managed to shine in the CL for a few years... Kun never did that. He was very disappointing for City on the European stage.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Ronaldo Nazario wasn't just stopped by injuries, he played at a time where it was much harder for players to be as fit as they are nowadays because they were not assigned nutritionists and personal trainers from a young age. The infrastructures improved so much that players being able to perform at a world class level well in their thirties isn't not even something rare anymore (Cristiano,Messi,Modric,Lewandowski,Benzema,Kroos,Ramos and many others)
He also probably wasn't the most professional player either which did not help.

Had Ronaldo been born a decade later, I think he would have been able to play at the top level for over a decade and I truly wonder how the Messi/Cristiano/R9 comparisons would have gone.
90s football already had nutritionists and personal trainers.

Even Maradona in the 80s had a personal physiotherapist following him everywhere.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah peak Ronaldo was much better. Mbappe is even more of a moments player which I'd argue is a slight negative.

But I don't know what we mean by better career. Your nationality has an impact on your trophy count at national level and imo your career has to be seen in context.
R9 played for Brazil though, can't ask for a better spawn if we are talking about football.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

90s football already had nutritionists and personal trainers.

Even Maradona in the 80s had a personal physiotherapist following him everywhere.
It wasn't as strict as it is nowadays.
Wenger forbidding junk food and booze in the locker room was seen as revolutionary in the late 90s

And if Ronaldo had a personal nutrionist he surely did not listen to him whatsoever given he was pretty much overweight every time he stepped on a pitch post 2002

Stacks

Except Rooney managed to shine in the CL for a few years... Kun never did that. He was very disappointing for City on the European stage.
Rooney in CL apps 85 G30 A21 knock out goals = 14
Aguero in CL apps 79, G41 A9 knock out goals = 9

you could argue Rooney more impressive as he was the man in 2010

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
It wasn't as strict as it is nowadays.
Wenger forbidding junk food and booze in the locker room was seen as revolutionary in the late 90s

And if Ronaldo had a personal nutrionist he surely did not listen to him whatsoever given he was pretty much overweight every time he stepped on a pitch post 2002
Ronaldo has an issue with his thyroids IIRC.

SirMonteyne

I doubt there is anyone who performed better than him in consecutive matches of the world cup. He literally carried France in the two world cups, I never thought I could see someone who can carry his national team like him because it was just an impossible mission even for those Messi and Ronaldo. Very grateful, it was eye-opening. He changed my perspective on the meaning of GOAT, I don't consider Messi or Ronaldo GOAT anymore.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I doubt there is anyone who performed better than him in consecutive matches of the world cup. He literally carried France in the two world cups, I never thought I could see someone who can carry his national team like him because it was just an impossible mission even for those Messi and Ronaldo. Very grateful, it was eye-opening. He changed my perspective on the meaning of GOAT, I don't consider Messi or Ronaldo GOAT anymore.
:lol:

Pintu

I recommend you watch Maradona’s performances against England and Belgium in the 1/4s and semis of the 86 WC.

Pintu

Rooney in CL apps 85 G30 A21 knock out goals = 14
Aguero in CL apps 79, G41 A9 knock out goals = 9

you could argue Rooney more impressive as he was the man in 2010
Rooney was a key player for a United that genuinely fought for the biggest trophy in club football. During his time we won the CL, reached finals and semifinals, and were among favourites very often.

I can’t associate Aguero with anything nearly as relevant in the CL.

jesperjaap

Having watched football since 1990 I never saw a better player than Ronaldo Nazário between 96 and 98. I used to watch all the games of Barcelona under Bobby Robson because TVI showed all La Liga matches played by Barcelona (might have been because Baia, Couto and Figo were there) and no player between 20 and 22 years old was so dominant as him...
Agree, in terms of puew talent and performance, second only to Maradona from my lifetime

jesperjaap

No we don’t. If you can get the best player in the world not named Messi then you fecking do it.
Very much a case of putting all your eggs in one basket. He is the best player in the world, but do you see him stayinf here for his career, sign him you are paying way over £500k per week, literally ending the careers of Garnacho and Sancho here, moving Rashford out of position.

I personalyl dont like how the arrogance comes across, but as a player no doubt at all he would be an absolutely amazing signing...but dotn see him coming here anyway and as great as he is I would personalyl rather we signed players in positions we need signings and left wing is pretty much the position least needs strengtening

Erik the Red

Lots of rumours linking us to Emiliano Martinez. I guess it's a choice we have to make between him and Mbappe, as there is no way they would join the same club. Would you take Emiliano Martinez if it meant ruling ourselves out of the Mbappe race?

pascell

Lots of rumours linking us to Emiliano Martinez. I guess it's a choice we have to make between him and Mbappe, as there is no way they would join the same club. Would you take Emiliano Martinez if it meant ruling ourselves out of the Mbappe race?
We'll sign neither, both will cost too much and Mbappe just isn't realistic.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Saw talk of 100m euros for EM
Just :lol: