Kylian Mbappé

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Never really liked him and felt he was a bit overated, but gotta give him credit - stepped up and proved he's a top top player.
What made you think that he was/is overrated?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not many people are going to be brave enough to hit a first time volley like that when he had time/space to control it.

Not sure where he was in the first 70 minutes, but he really came alive after that.
He needs supply. He's not an especially great passer but is excellent at being a huge direct goal threat so when the buildup was poor he was invisible and when France grew and Argentina got rattled with Otamendi's cock up, he too woke up and had an excellent 40 minutes.

What I find amusing is how many people just follow a narrative and fans of an elite football club which is trying to get back to the top were not on board with signing a top top attacker. All due to perceived "attitude problems'.

dinostar77

Inevitable that one day he will turn up at Madrid or Barcelona. Seems the next logical step.

Best places to go to win balon d'ors.

Black Alabaster

Where will he even go now Real Madrid is theoretically off the table?

Italy can't afford him sporting or financially.
Barca can't afford him financially for a few years at least with their shakey situation, they already have gambled big time but there is a space for him there as #9, play with dembouz too.
Madrid I think they messed up their relationship a bit with Perez saying stuff like Mbappe “already be sorry” and "changed his dream" "he is not the Mbappe I wanted to sign"

So assuming the big spanish two are off the table....
That leaves who as serious contenders that can afford his wages and club granduer?

Us of course, just lacking in recent achievement but we are the right fit in terms of stature and club size.
Liverpool, can they afford him? They are run more frugally can they put mbappe on 500K or whatever he is/will be on?
City, would they take him to play alongside Haaland? That would really be gut wrenching, to witness two of the best of this post messi CR7 era at our rivals...they could pull that off too..
Bayern wouldn't pay what it takes when they already cherrypick their league for peanuts and financially are happy collecting league titles.

Unless he opts to just stay in France, until RM relationship/Barca finance is repaired or some other contender comes up not sure where he realistically would even move to.
Just looking at that situation of the usual contenders for WC big price big wage talents, we have a pretty open field to run up to Mbappe if we somhow decided we wanted to pursue him and tap him up.

Lynty

What made you think that he was/is overrated?
  • Not watching him enough.
  • I felt his stats were inflated due to the quality of defending in his league compared to PSG's front line.
  • I've always felt you could take him out the game (you couldn't do that with Messi/CR7) and I think England proved that, so did Wan Bissaka few seasons ago.
  • Forgetting how young he actually is
I'd still have Henry as the better player, but we'll see in the future.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Barca can't afford him financially for a few years at least with their shakey situation, they already have gambled big time but there is a space for him there as #9, play with dembouz too.
Madrid I think they messed up their relationship a bit with Perez saying stuff like Mbappe “already be sorry” and "changed his dream" "he is not the Mbappe I wanted to sign"

That leaves who as serious contenders that can afford his wages and club granduer?

Us of course, just lacking in recent achievement but we are the right fit in terms of stature and club size.
Liverpool, can they afford him? They are run more frugally can they put mbappe on 500K or whatever he is/will be on?
City, would they take him to play alongside Haaland? That would really be gut wrenching, to witness two of the best of this post messi CR7 era at our rivals...they could pull that off too..
Bayern wouldn't pay what it takes when they already cherrypick their league for peanuts and financially are happy collecting league titles.

Unless he opts to just stay in France, until RM relationship/Barca finance is repaired or some other contender comes up not sure where he realistically would even move to.
Just looking at that situation of the usual contenders for WC big price big wage talents, we have a pretty open field to run up to Mbappe if we somhow decided we wanted to pursue him and tap him up.
Either he patches up his relationship with perez and fecks off to Madrid or pl's the only option and in that case it's either us if we get ambitious owners or Newcastle of they emerged as top dogs .

Or city of haland fecks off to Spain or somehow else, also he always could remain in Paris and always compete for the cl.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
  • I felt his stats were inflated due to the quality of defending in his league compared to PSG's front line.
  • I've always felt you could take him out the game (you couldn't do that with Messi/CR7) and I think England proved that, so did Wan Bissaka few seasons ago.
Two things, he has a similar ratio in the CL and the league. And you can take any player out of a game if you put two players on him, it has happened plenty of times to Messi and Ronaldo but their teams were able to exploit those tactics.

Also what you wrote shows that you actually rate him very highly because when Messi and Ronaldo are the benchmark, you are necessarily talking about a great player.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Why does he ‘need to leave France’? He is 24, star of his team (even more when Messi and Neymar retire in the next few years) and is developing incredibly. I don’t see the need for him to ‘prove’ it in other leagues, that would just be for the people so they don’t go ‘he only did it in France’.

Already got a WC, will likely add a Euro to it as well and got plenty of opportunity to bring PSG the CL. He has already proven it over and over again on the biggest stage and is still so young. Might even inspire the next-generation of French talent to also stick around in Ligue 1 and elevate it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Don’t think he’ll have many doubters left after that WC.

Clearly one of the best players currently playing.

Lyng

Why does he ‘need to leave France’? He is 24, star of his team (even more when Messi and Neymar retire in the next few years) and is developing incredibly. I don’t see the need for him to ‘prove’ it in other leagues, that would just be for the people so they don’t go ‘he only did it in France’.

Already got a WC, will likely add a Euro to it as well and got plenty of opportunity to bring PSG the CL. He has already proven it over and over again on the biggest stage and is still so young. Might even inspire the next-generation of French talent to also stick around in Ligue 1 and elevate it.
No! in fact he specifically needs to come to United to prove it ;)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I just keep thinking... what if he had beaten that extra man with that dribble right at the end of the game? He might have scored the greatest goal in history.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

If he can get PSG a CL title that’s about all there is for him to do in France. It would be a tremendous achievement but then a move makes sense.

Realistically if he spent his career in France it’s a waste. Ligue 1 won’t be elevated unless more money is put into it and after embarrassing TV deals and having a pretty much one horse league there isn’t a global appeal that even Mbappe would fix.

To be a more interesting league there needs to be stars and jeopardy.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I just keep thinking... what if he had beaten that extra man with that dribble right at the end of the game? He might have scored the greatest goal in history.
You could see from his reaction what was in his mind. He’s a winner and put everything he could at that point into that run.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Either he patches up his relationship with perez and fecks off to Madrid or pl's the only option and in that case it's either us if we get ambitious owners or Newcastle of they emerged as top dogs .

Or city of haland fecks off to Spain or somehow else, also he always could remain in Paris and always compete for the cl.
His mom is a Liverpool fan :wenger:

TheReligion

Abusive

Because Ligue 1 is shit?

Himannv

If he's really on the market, which I'm not sure he is, Chelsea will be an option as well.

davidmichael

I’ll be interested to see what happens with Mbappe when he returns to PSG as it’s clear he prefers to be left side of a three with little defensive responsibility but then Neymar is there too, personally I’d have Mbappe on the left with Neymar as a false 9 seeing as he played centrally as a 10 for Brazil in the World Cup.

On topic though I don’t see where Mbappe goes if he comes to the PL as City won’t pay the price wanted especially while they have Haaland, Liverpool isn’t an option unless they get state bought, Arsenal and Spurs aren’t realistic options and Newcastle would have to be CL regulars as would we to be in with a chance.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Would you do a Rashford and Sancho for Mbappe Swap?
Personally, I don't know.

I think Sancho and Rashford would stay at United long term if United can fix Sanchos form issues and get Rashford signed up and keep him motivated.

I think Mbappe would always go to Spain eventually.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Personally, I don't know.

I think Sancho and Rashford would stay at United long term if United can fix Sanchos form issues and get Rashford signed up and keep him motivated.

I think Mbappe would always go to Spain eventually.
Yeah, and honestly, as good as Mbappe is — he isn’t a perfect fit on a dominant team. He needs a bit of open pitch infront of him. He isn’t the most lethal option available against a really low defense.

Just like KDB has been Pep’s MVP with City it’s probably wise for us to invest the most in a playmaking midfielder.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Offer PSG Rashford and £200m and see what happens. Probably not much but must be worth a punt. We can't go on missing out on the very best around

Lyng

Yeah, and honestly, as good as Mbappe is — he isn’t a perfect fit on a dominant team. He needs a bit of open pitch infront of him. He isn’t the most lethal option available against a really low defense.

Just like KDB has been Pep’s MVP with City it’s probably wise for us to invest the most in a playmaking midfielder.
We have Bruno and Eriksen. Its not playmakers we need. We need someone who can score goals.

Giggsyking

This isn't aimed at you @Giggsyking but what a stupid tweet. In what world would any club that thought he was attainable not consider it?

In other news, I'm considering dating Margot Robbie.

*disclaimer: Cultural references may be dated*
There is a very known arabic quote
“He who informs about disbelief is not [thereby] a disbeliever”
I just posted the tweet, me myself do not believe it. But I dream of this signing.

the_cliff

Perez will swallow his pride and sign him. Perez is not dumb, he won't miss out on Mbappe cos of some childish grudge. As for the fans, he'd have the most fans at his unveiling since Ronaldo...

Righteous Steps

I remember CL finals where Ronaldo was barely involved in the game, more than one at that.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Perez will swallow his pride and sign him. Perez is not dumb, he won't miss out on Mbappe cos of some childish grudge. As for the fans, he'd have the most fans at his unveiling since Ronaldo...
Perez already said it won’t happen and that chapter is closed. He is all in on the Brazilian wonderkids.

Would be a great get for United and help EtH taking that next step. Would still require a striker to play alongside him, one that can play in service of Mbappe. Would be fun to see now that City have Haaland.

mu4c_20le

Perez already said it won’t happen and that chapter is closed. He is all in on the Brazilian wonderkids.

Would be a great get for United and help EtH taking that next step. Would still require a striker to play alongside him, one that can play in service of Mbappe. Would be fun to see now that City have Haaland.
"This is not the Mbappé I wanted to bring, he is another one, who must have changed his dream. He changes, he is offered other things, he is pressured and he is already another footballer. There is no one at Real Madrid above the club. He is a great player, he can win more than others, but it is a collective sport and we have values and principles that we cannot change", he added.

Despite everything, the president of the Merengue squad said that he is fond of the Frenchman and does not know if he will ever wear "merengue".

"The Mbappé who was going to come here is not this one. If it is, I prefer him to stay at PSG. I want the one with the dream. Impossible in three years? In three years' time we'll all be bald? This Mbappé is not my Mbappé, who refuses to do a publicity stunt with his national team... I don't want that. It could have been a slip of the tongue, but I think he was mistaken.

Doesn't sound like closing of doors to me

jesperjaap

Inevitable that one day he will turn up at Madrid or Barcelona. Seems the next logical step.

Best places to go to win balon d'ors.
You would think so but I thought he was 100% nailed on to go there before staying at PSG. Undoubetly a brilliant player but some of his arrogace appears beyong the galic charm to me, dont like him.

As for us signings him....he is of course better than all of them but we have Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho on the elft which is his favoured position as well as other options, no reason for us to enter the race as brilliant as he is, we have much bigger priorities