Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who is going to pay 120m in this climate when he can sign a pre-contract in Jan for free? Even for him that's too much. He holds all the cards, it basically comes down to where he wants to go as long as his wage demands are reasonable. If I'm him I will pick the club I want and just move there. Either this summer for an affordable fee or next summer for free.
I could imagine quite a few clubs would want him, even at that price, to guarantee his signature. They'd do well to get him on a 5 year deal + 2 years' extension option. He's the standout player in the world.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I see him going to Madrid, and then having a Benzema like career. Don't know what has actually brought me to that conclusion, gut feeling I guess.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I see him going to Madrid, and then having a Benzema like career. Don't know what has actually brought me to that conclusion, gut feeling I guess.
That would be a great career. Benzema currently has the most assists and the 5th most goals in the club's history, he is also close to top 10 in appearances.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
That would be a great career. Benzema currently has the most assists and the 5th most goals in the club's history, he is also close to top 10 in appearances.
Yeah, wasn't saying it was a bad thing at all. Just don't see him going all Messi / Ronaldo esque. Having a fairly great career, but not a "loud" career if you get me.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, wasn't saying it was a bad thing at all. Just don't see him going all Messi / Ronaldo esque. Having a fairly great career, but not a "loud" career if you get me.
I get it but felt that it needs to be said because for some reason a lot of people seem to think that Messi/Ronaldo are reasonable benchmarks, they are outliers. You don't expect what they did, you witness it. I aslo think that it's important to give someone like Benzema his due, when he retires he will be one of the greatest Real Madrid player alongside current legends of the game, the fact that he played during the same era than Ronaldo will probably make people forget/ignore it and it's a bit sad.

Last edited:

Cloud7

We are unlikely to ever see anyone having a Messi/Ronaldo esque career in our lifetimes again. They're both in a category of their own in most respects, and it's unfair to expect anyone else to reach that level.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Ok, maybe Ronaldo / Messi was a bad comparison, I don't see him reaching xavi, iniesta, Raul, levels. That level behind Ronaldo / Messi, but above everyone else. Don't see him being one of those who constantly deserves MOTM awards, can turn games by himself, win games by himself.

Better?

JPRouve

Scout
Ok, maybe Ronaldo / Messi was a bad comparison, I don't see him reaching xavi, iniesta, Raul, levels. That level behind Ronaldo / Messi, but above everyone else. Don't see him being one of those who constantly deserves MOTM awards, can turn games by himself, win games by himself.

Better?
But Benzema reached Raul level and I don't think that Raul or even Iniesta and Xavi did what you described. After all, Xavi and Iniesta played almost the entirety of their careers together alongside the likes of Suarez, Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Messi. It seems that you idealize those players while being very realistic regarding Mbappé, so I won't disagree with your view on Mbappé himself but the scale that you are using isn't fair.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Who is going to pay 120m in this climate when he can sign a pre-contract in Jan for free? Even for him that's too much. He holds all the cards, it basically comes down to where he wants to go as long as his wage demands are reasonable. If I'm him I will pick the club I want and just move there. Either this summer for an affordable fee or next summer for free.
€120M would be a steal, £120M would be a steal too.

Redlyn

€120M would be a steal, £120M would be a steal too.
Player holds all the power here. It's more about where the player wants to go and psg will find themselves having to make a deal with that club otherwise he'll just run out his contract.

tjb

I get it but felt that it needs to be said because for some reason a lot of people seem to think that Messi/Ronaldo are reasonable benchmarks, they are outliers. You don't expect what they did, you witness it. I aslo think that it's important to give someone like Benzema his due, when he retires he will be one of the greatest Real Madrid player alongside current legends of the game, the fact that he played during the same era than Ronaldo will probably make people forget/ignore it and it's a bit sad.
This. It's almost like people didn't watch what we had before them and are now just jumping past a lot of dominant legends for these comparisons. If a player as talented as Ronaldinho comes through and begins to shine early, then that makes sense, but at the moment, there is noone that fits that bill and that's fine. Cristiano was not expected to become like this and developed his game to reach the extraordinary standard that it did, almost no player in history has matched that level of dedication, commitment and aim for improvement prior and I highly doubt that many in future will match that.

Personally I feel its very unfair to Mbappe. If he's as talented as Henry, who was the premier league's greatest player, that should be enough...and even that is a level rarely any players will ever meet. Me setting that standard for him is simply appreciating how good his game has been early on, accounting for the fact that his international popularity and the increase globalization of the game will mean he doesn't face the La Liga bias that Henry faced that led to him not winning a ballon d'or and he has more time to develop.

JPRouve

Scout
Eh ? Did you read the post I was responding to, your own post, in fact.
At first I agreed with you but thinking about it I agree even more. It's actually a great deal for a club to try to get Mbappé for 120m this summer and avoid the competition that his free agency would create because a Mbappé out of contract will attract teams that can't necessarily afford his "normal" transfer fee but could afford his wage and signing bonus.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
At first I agreed with you but thinking about it I agree even more. It's actually a great deal for a club to try to get Mbappé for 120m this summer and avoid the competition that his free agency would create because a Mbappé out of contract will attract teams that can't necessarily afford his "normal" transfer fee but could afford his wage and signing bonus.
We could buy Haaland for £75M the following summer. Us and who knows how many other clubs. Maybe even City will have scrapped together enough loose change to cover that.

Mbappe with Martial in part exchange (and I really like Martial) would be an excellent deal... for us :D

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Better?
I think he will eventually be seen as such a player. His end product and trophy count will probably ensure it. But I can him also being slightly overrated as he lacks finnese in his game and in this era people are obsessed with only goals, assists and trophies. He'll have those which will be more than enough.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Benzema already cemented his status as one of the greatest players ever in Real Madrid years ago. Nobody will forget/ignore Benzema's name whenever people talks about Cristiano's legacy or how good his teammates were. I do think however that people will severely underrate Benzema by comparing his goalscoring numbers with strikers from 2010s while ignoring contexts of Benzema's role during CR7-era.

RooneyLegend

But Benzema reached Raul level and I don't think that Raul or even Iniesta and Xavi did what you described. After all, Xavi and Iniesta played almost the entirety of their careers together alongside the likes of Suarez, Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Messi. It seems that you idealize those players while being very realistic regarding Mbappé, so I won't disagree with your view on Mbappé himself but the scale that you are using isn't fair.
Stop it, Benzema was never Raul, Raul or Iniesta.

JPRouve

Scout
Benzema is no worse than Raul. And I didn't say that he was Iniesta or Xavi but said that Iniesta and Xavi didn't win games on their own on a regular basis, it makes no sense to make such a claim when these players were playing together and with other world class players, one of them being Messi.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
What? Why are you talking about Raul as if he was some unstoppable demi-god?

He was world class, but so is Benzema.
One can make easily make arguments for Benzema being on level with Raul, or better.

JPRouve

Scout
What? Why are you talking about Raul as if he was some unstoppable demi-god?

He was world class, but so is Benzema.
One can make easily make arguments for Benzema being on level with Raul, or better.
When all is said and done Benzema is top 5 goalscorer for Madrid and the top 1 assists maker. He is also just one goal behind Raul in Champions League, in fewer games.

amolbhatia50k

Raul is so overrated due to being one of Madrid's own. Benzema doesn't have his elegance and footballing romance in the eyes of the fans. But his performance levels are no lesser - he has been amazing over the last decade.

Xavi and Iniesta are on a different all time great level.

RooneyLegend

Raul is so overrated due to being one of Madrid's own. Benzema doesn't have his elegance and footballing romance in the eyes of the fans. But his performance levels are no lesser - he has been amazing over the last decade.

Xavi and Iniesta are on a different all time great level.
Nah, Raul was in tht Xavi, Iniesta class. There was nothing overrated about the lord of spain.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What's the arguments Benzema was never on Raul's level?

And you massively overrating Raul for thinking he's anywhere near close to Iniesta's level.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Raul was finished as a top player in his early 30s, Benzema isn't.
Benzema also has better goal-per-game averages than Raul as well as peaked higher. I still can't believe he scored 24 LaLiga goals under 2000 minutes or scored 32 goals during 11/12 season despite sharing playing time with Higuain.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He's on course for the biggest signing on bonus in history! If Halaand is going for €100m+ this year with €40m in agent fees then how much could Mbappe command as a signing bonus considering he'd have no fee? Don't think he'd be out of line asking for a €100m sign on fee.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema also has better goal-per-game averages than Raul as well as peaked higher. I still can't believe he scored 24 LaLiga goals under 2000 minutes or scored 32 goals during 11/12 season despite sharing playing time with Higuain.
Benzema had great goalscoring seasons with CR in the team as well, many forget that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema is definitely on Raul's level but damn, don't you go bad mouthing Raul. Legend. Raul was the best player on two champions league winning sides

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And Big body Benz has been carrying a husk of a side which would have its defensive midfielder as the top scorer in his absence.

RooneyLegend

What's the arguments Benzema was never on Raul's level?

And you massively overrating Raul for thinking he's anywhere near close to Iniesta's level.
Raul was one of the best players in the world, Benzema wasn't in contention for the vast majority of his career. Benzema Is finally taking responsibility but that hasn't been the case. No one even suggested he was the best striker for the majority of his career.

E-mal

Have watched both Raul and Benzema and the lather is a better player although not by much.

RooneyLegend

Benzema played in an era of complete dominance of by his side. His numbers will be better.

RooneyLegend

No chance. Lord of bang average Spain.

Great player but never in that class.
Madness. He always was. Always in the running for best of the rest behind Ronaldo and then Zidane. Benzema has never been in contention for best of the rest this despite playing for a side that was amazing from attacking perspective.

Ladron de redcafe

Raul was one of the best players in the world, Benzema wasn't in contention for the vast majority of his career. Benzema Is finally taking responsibility but that hasn't been the case. No one even suggested he was the best striker for the majority of his career.
Raul was never close to one of the best players in the world, unless that's a very long list. Benzema isn't as appreciated but he's a lot better than Raul was.

It's also mindbogglingly silly to suggest that Raul was anywhere near Xavi and Iniesta's level, at any point in his career. Those two are among the the discussion of the best footballers to have ever played in midfield. Raul isn't even a top 20 striker to have ever played football.

amolbhatia50k

Madness. He always was. Always in the running for best of the rest behind Ronaldo and then Zidane. Benzema has never been in contention for best of the rest this despite playing for a side that was amazing from attacking perspective.
Xavi and Iniesta are arguably among the best midfielders to have played the game of football. Raul would be nobody near anyone's pick for striker.

Raul is just romanticised to no end. He was very good. But he wasn't this generational footballer you've made him out to be. Among the best strikers of his generation, sure. Much like Rooney, Ibra, Benzema, Aguero etc but behind the absolute handful of elite players of an era.

And if Messi played in his era instead of Zidane he'd look miles behind the best in the world just like Benzema did.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Who cares? It just means the competition wasn't as strong for Raul as it was for Benzema who not only hindered his own game for one of the game's greatest player, but also had to contend with Messi and did not feature for a world-cup winning France which would have elevated his stock even more. But Benzema is absolutely better than Raul, and I've seen both play at their peak. I would take Benzema ten times out of ten compared to Raul. Also, I don't think Raul was ever widely considered the third best player in the world either.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Who cares? It just means the competition wasn't as strong for Raul as it was for Benzema who not only hindered his own game for one of the game's greatest player, but also had to contend with Messi and did not feature for a world-cup winning France which would have elevated his stock even more. But Benzema is absolutely better than Raul, and I've seen both play at their peak. I would take Benzema ten times out of ten compared to Raul. Also, I don't think Raul was ever widely considered the third best player in the world either.
Raul did finish second in the Ballon D'or in 2001, behind Owen. Arguably should have won it that year.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I do wonder if there’s a few clubs tempted to try and push the boat out for him this summer, of course the issue is given its PSG they don’t need the cash but I’m sure they’d rather get something than nothing. The threshold for what they might be willing to accept could be lower but I’d doubt it.

Still rate him above Haaland, as great as I think the latter is.