Kylian Mbappe | PSG

He is still the same player he was in 2018.

Absurdly talented, relies on his pace a bit too much, and sometimes gets lucky with his loose touches. Whether it's because he's still playing in Ligue 1 or not, he needs to start developing again and fast. He can't be the wonderkid forever.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
His CL record is a goal every 127 minutes.

Rashford’s in a much worse side is a goal every 134 minutes.

So yeah, his CL record is class, but doesn’t quite tell the full story. I’ll argue the same point again, stick Rashford in that PSG side and give him that many CL minutes and he wouldn’t be far off Mbappe’s goal record.

That’s why people should ease off Rashford, stick Mbappe in this side over the past 4 years and the poor bloke would probably be slagged by half the fanbase for being shit.
All of our players will look miles better once we are a fully functioning and more dominant side again. Playing in this United of the past half decade and more has been tough.
Exactly. I’ve seen Mbappe play countless times and most times he’s not looked anything special. I mean I was blown away by Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo, Bale when they burst onto the scene. Admittedly I was a bit blown away by Mbappe but that was in his first season at Monaco which is a long, long time ago now. He has stagnated IMO.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s just another Thierry Henry. Average player pulling the wool over less knowledgeable football fans’ eyes by having ridiculous amounts of pace.
Yeah if Mbappe ever reaches the level of Henry for prolonged period he’ll have had a fantastic career.
Henry was magnificent.

OleBoiii

He should contact Ronaldo and ask if he can train with him this summer. It's not like that Patrick Bateman of a football player is going to spend the next weeks relaxing anyways. He's probably chugging liquid kale while doing pull ups as we speak. Not to mention: his ego would totally love the next big player humbly asking him for help.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The pile on has been absurd. Credible would be those saying this stuff before the French were out of the tournament. He's got a lot of growing up to do and his ego has got the better of him, but he's still the most valuable player on the planet in an open market. Granted that's down to the ages of Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo, but potential he has to turn it around and have this be a blip is still pretty much unmatched.

Those who get above their station and are brought back to earth get the ribbing they deserve, but there is a reason why he has been pampered and his every whim and desire entertained to this point in his life. He is partially to blame, but you have to look at the whole picture and ask how that was allowed to happen in the first place, really.

The next chapter will be an interesting one as we get see what he's made of and whether he'll bounce back better than ever or enter a lull. Mbappé's real story has a long way to go yet. It'll be penned under the glare of the world view. Don't think it's unfair to say he has the most pressurised season of anyone in that tier pending.

Oldyella

Yeah if Mbappe ever reaches the level of Henry for prolonged period he’ll have had a fantastic career.
Henry was magnificent.
Got to be a wind up. 99.9% of players would kill for a career like Henry's

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Moving to PSG looking like a mistake. Too much money, too young and the league isn't competitive enough. His Ego will surely have taken a battering this season. All gone a bit wrong.

Needs to go play a higher standard of league football. Wondering if R Madrid might be too soon for him though. Too much pressure which he doesn't need right now.
If he goes to Madrid he’ll be a huge success, I’m certain of it. Also think he’ll be great at the next World Cup.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Obviously he was taking the piss, Henry was an unbelievable player and everybody knows it. He should have used someone like Romario, a limited player who never really made it to the greatest level and is now looked back on as a hype job carried by his teammates.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Attitude aside, I think it's always been clear that he's not all that. A very good player who was always very mature for his age but IMO he never showed the talent that Neymar, Cristiano, Messi or even Hazard possessed. Players who have great physique, decision making and end product but some technical deficincies tend to develop not that much after that since they already have the attributes associated with experience. Improving the motoric aspects of the game is far harder after a certain age. And Mbappe always had a bit of a fluky technique in certain situations. That's of course criticism on a very high level since his also elite in the technical aspects of the game but not to the same extent as the "wonderkid generations" that preceeded him. The comparisons with young R9 were always over the top.

That being said some of the reactions here seem way over the top. He's still a world class player and can become one of the greats, especially if he gets his attitude back on track. And you won't find many 22 year olds as good as him. The Rashford comparisons are a bit silly from an outside perspective. No dig on Rashford, but he would already exceed expectations if he some day reached the level Mbappe already has despite being younger than him.
He is all that. No teenager has done what he did at the World Cup since another one that shall remain nameless. It’s not easy to do that at that age at that level no matter how good your team is.

He’s had a bad tournament, that’s all. If he goes to Madrid he’ll become the best player in the world.

Water Melon

He’s just another Thierry Henry. Average player pulling the wool over less knowledgeable football fans’ eyes by having ridiculous amounts of pace.
Thierry Henry is considered as an average player now? The guy is probably the most elegant and refined striker the prem has seen. Had everything in his locker - vision, pace, close control, passing, dribbling, finishing. Fantastic player.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Why don't you guys argue why Henry wasn't shit some more.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Last night proved why he is actually so good as a player.

He never has a game where he doesn't get chances

Sure you can say he has good teammates at PSG and for France to create these chances for him

But I've almost never seen him go 90 minutes without a clear chance at goal. He never goes missing like a lot of forwards often do when they have a bad game

Sadly he missed these chances yesterday but on a better day he scores them

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He’s not in the same class as Henry
He is better than Henry was in the CL
His WC 2018 was better than any tournament Henry has had for France

League wise he gets better numbers than Henry used to but I'll give you that he needs to do it in the Prem/La Liga to get the edge here

cyberman

League wise he gets better numbers than Henry used to but I'll give you that he needs to do it in the Prem/La Liga to get the edge here
When Arsenal reached the CL final he was fantastic and was literally a part of one of the greatest teams to ever win it with Barca?
Honestly, Mbappe only has a few goals in early rounds of the knockout stages or am i missing something?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He is all that. No teenager has done what he did at the World Cup since another one that shall remain nameless. It’s not easy to do that at that age at that level no matter how good your team is.

He’s had a bad tournament, that’s all. If he goes to Madrid he’ll become the best player in the world.
Accomplishments don't equal talent. Of course his accomplishments are remarkable, no doubt, but that doesn't mean he's as supremely talented as players whose accomplishments weren't as impressive at the same age. For what it's worth, Mbappe had insane pace from early on and also the decision making and composure to utilize it. But he was never as outrageously talented on the ball as someone like Neymar, Messi, Hazard or Cristiano. And the technical abilities of a player usually define his ceiling because you can't drastically improve in this aspect after a certain age.

I'm not sure he'll ever be the clearly best player in the world over a sustained period of time. I'd have Sancho as more talented than him and Neymar is still around, too, who he won't surpass until the Brazilian starts declining. And then there's also a whole bunch of players coming through, too, and others who could also have Ballon D'Or worthy seasons. I don't see him standing out as much as Cristiano and Messi did.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

When Mbappe is considered the best player in the world at anytime in his career, he can be considered on par with Henry. Henry was fecked out of that award a number of times. Right now he's not even the best player at PSG.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Accomplishments don't equal talent. Of course his accomplishments are remarkable, no doubt, but that doesn't mean he's as supremely talented as players whose accomplishments weren't as impressive at the same age. For what it's worth, Mbappe had insane pace from early on and also the decision making and composure to utilize it. But he was never as outrageously talented on the ball as someone like Neymar, Messi, Hazard or Cristiano. And the technical abilities of a player usually define his ceiling because you can't drastically improve in this aspect after a certain age.

I'm not sure he'll ever be the clearly best player in the world over a sustained period of time. I'd have Sancho as more talented than him and Neymar is still around, too, who he won't surpass until the Brazilian starts declining. And then there's also a whole bunch of players coming through, too, and others who could also have Ballon D'Or worthy seasons. I don't see him standing out as much as Cristiano and Messi did.
I’m not talking about accomplishments, I’m talking about his performances at the last World Cup. Name another teenager that has had that kind of impact at the World Cup.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
When Mbappe is considered the best player in the world at anytime in his career, he can be considered on par with Henry. Henry was fecked out of that award a number of times. Right now he's not even the best player at PSG.
When was Henry ‘fecked out of it’? Ronaldinho, Nedved etc were worthy winners if you actually watched them at the time and not just the PL. Henry was obviously a top player though.

Foxbatt

This is a guy who at 22 years old has already scored away at the Etihad, Old Trafford, Anfield, Camp Nou, the Bernabeu, the Allianz Arena, the Juventus Stadium and Signal Iduna Park.

He’s had a bad tournament, no doubt. But people need to stop talking nonsense, for real.
But has he scored in Bet365 Stadium on a cold windy night? He is not as good as Benzema yet. In the future he might.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Of course nobody knows but Ronaldo and Messi are 2 of the 4 best ever, so it's pretty safe to say he'll never reach their levels.
I don’t think Ronaldo is among the 4 best ever, but even if he is, I certainly didn’t think he would be considered as anything like that at age 22. So again, you actually have no idea what will happen.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I’m not talking about accomplishments, I’m talking about his performances at the last World Cup. Name another teenager that has had that kind of impact at the World Cup.
Same story. Having better performances at a younger age in a certain tournament =/= more talented. Mbappe was always very mature for his age, both physically and mentally. Other players only make those steps in the mid 20s if at all. But as I side, the technical ability of a player is a defining factor of his ceiling because you won't improve significantly in this aspect after a certain age.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
what else does in this context??
You don’t have to be as good as whoever went before to be the next big thing. When Luis Ronaldo and Romario came along, everyone knew they weren’t as good as Maradona, but that didn’t stop them from being the heirs.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

When Arsenal reached the CL final he was fantastic and was literally a part of one of the greatest teams to ever win it with Barca?
Honestly, Mbappe only has a few goals in early rounds of the knockout stages or am i missing something?
Henry's career highlight for Arsenal in the CL is scoring one goal against Madrid away

Mbappe scored a hat trick at the Camp Nou followed by a brace at the Allianz Arena this season alone.

At 18 he scored at the Etihad, away at Dortmund and at the Juventus stadium too

His CL performances are already far better than Henry's ever were.

Henry would have never been considered the best player in the world if he played in the Messi/Ronaldo era.

Also he was never ever considered the best in France. Not even at his peak.

Castia

I'm not sure why people are comparing him with Henry he's nowhere near that level, Henry is miles ahead of this guy.

Can he get to Henry's level? sure but he's got to step it up. He's needs to get out of France for a start, he could score 70 goals next season and Id give zero fecks in that league.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think he is near Henry's level, but it is absolutely fair to say he hasn't proved it yet. He definitely lacks the consistency of decision-making of a top player right now... he does not lack the skills though.

It's not entirely fair only to look at league form, however. There have been plenty of CL and France games against top opposition where he has been frightening (rather than frightful like last night).

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
His CL record is a goal every 127 minutes.
Rashford’s in a much worse side is a goal every 134 minutes.
So yeah, his CL record is class, but doesn’t quite tell the full story.
A goals-per-minute argument is going to be very noisy if you are comparing two players with substantially different amounts of minutes played.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don’t think Ronaldo is among the 4 best ever, but even if he is, I certainly didn’t think he would be considered as anything like that at age 22. So again, you actually have no idea what will happen.
After the career Ronaldo has had, it is pretty crazy not to have him among the 4 best ever. Ronaldo, Messi, Pele and Maradona each dominated with incredible talent, incredible success, and for a long time. Especially Ronaldo and Messi.

I don't care that Mbappe is 22. He may become the best in the world, sure. You logic can be applied to Greenwood or Amad or Rashford even ffs. You just don't say a player can become one of the very best of all time until they actually do it and you say "yeah, he's up there". It's just pointless to say it before hand because there's a 99.9999% chance that he will not reach Ronaldo or Messi level.

cyberman

Henry's career highlight for Arsenal in the CL is scoring one goal against Madrid away

Mbappe scored a hat trick at the Camp Nou followed by a brace at the Allianz Arena this season alone.

At 18 he scored at the Etihad, away at Dortmund and at the Juventus stadium too

His CL performances are already far better than Henry's ever were.

Henry would have never been considered the best player in the world if he played in the Messi/Ronaldo era.

Also he was never ever considered the best in France. Not even at his peak.
Henry destroyed the likes of Juve and Inter while at Arsenal. He had some fantastic performances in an Arsenal shirt and Henry did play in the Messi and Ronaldo era! The Messi, Etoo and Henry front line dominated Europe in 09.
I dont kbow what career youre trying to describe but it isnt Thierry Henrys.

Flying_Heckfish

You can't compare CL records from different eras. Henry played through the most defensive years since catenaccio. The types of scorelines you see now just didn't happen, especially in the knockouts.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
After the career Ronaldo has had, it is pretty crazy not to have him among the 4 best ever. Ronaldo, Messi, Pele and Maradona each dominated with incredible talent, incredible success, and for a long time. Especially Ronaldo and Messi.

I don't care that Mbappe is 22. He may become the best in the world, sure. You logic can be applied to Greenwood or Amad or Rashford even ffs. You just don't say a player can become one of the very best of all time until they actually do it and you say "yeah, he's up there". It's just pointless to say it before hand because there's a 99.9999% chance that he will not reach Ronaldo or Messi level.

The logic can’t be applied to Rashford or Greenwood because they have not done even one tenth of the things that Mbappe has. I’ll ask you the same question, name a teenager that performed at the World Cup like Mbappe did. Just one.