Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Cristiano came around earlier than Messi, winning Ballon d’Or in 2008 in case you didn’t notice. He also had peak Xavi & Iniesta with the all-conquering Spanish NT team to compete with as well as outliers like Sneijder & Ribery with perfect seasons.

It’s the other way round, by far.
None of those players outside of CR7 are stats monster, which is all the Ballon d'Or's been about outside of the odd exception or two. CR7 came around and disappeared for a few years because of Messi and Barcelona's dominance on all front. Peak Xavi and Iniesta is actually what contributed a lot to his Ballon d'Ors, they weren't an impediment to it at all, and Ribery probably should have won it based on the criteria of the time for the award in 2013. Now it's supposed to be solely about being the best regardless of team achievements, however they decide that, in which case I do think Messi would have had even more. No one is debating that he's the GOAT over here, but as far as competition for the individual awards, just the mere fact that CR7 and Messi were still in their prime or close to when Mbappe started the first half of his career makes my point pretty comfortably that Mbappe's had more competition for the award, nevermind adding Lewandowski or Benzema to the list. For the last 2-3 seasons, I think Mbappe's been as good individually as anybody out there, including Messi.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I wouldn’t assume Messi will win the next Ballon d’Or. Mbappé had an equivalent tournament and there’s a chance Messi understandably drops off a bit after this with him having got the last piece of the puzzle, whereas Mbappé might go to another level in anger. Messi will also probably go to America by next summer, it’s a long way to the Ballon d’Or yet.
I believe there's no way he doesn't. It is probably the most legacy defining football event of the last 30 years and he beat his direct competitor in one of the most exciting finals ever. He could retire now and win it.

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi has the next Ballon D'Or in the bag.

It'll be interesting to see how Mbappe finishes the rest of the season though. He might be a man possessed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I guess we could put a bid in for him next summer, if we really have to...

abundance

Supports
Inter
Not only that. Assuming that the next Ballon d'Or is Messi's now, Mbappe can win his first with 25. Since Messi will have 8 then, Mbappe would need to win 8 out of the next 10 to match him at 35. He has more or less already lost on this front.
anyway who gives a fat fk about balloon d'ors
about time we settle they're like oscars
and who really judges the best films of a year based on oscars wins

abundance

Supports
Inter
I mean, feck, history is now
you see the final yesterday, what you need more to remember that Messi and Mbappe are the generational players of right-now?

all the rest is just small talk

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
You'd be absolutely foolish to bet against a team with mbappe, Messi, Neymar, Verratti, Marquinhos, Ramos and Donnaruma.
Even more so after last year disappointment against future champions, Real Madrid (a tie they absolutely dominated for 80% of the time and should have won 9 times out of 10 if it weren't for a big refereeing error on Real's first goal and if it weren't for some godly performances by Courtois and Benzema).
to me, the biggest question mark about them this season would be Neymar and Marquinhos's mental state after another WC disappointment for them and Brazil
Verrati haven't had many great performances in the big stage of the UCL, Marquinhos in big UCL games have been disappointing, Ramos is washed and old, and Donnarumma is the reason they didn't beat Real last season.

Plus PSG defenders have always a blunder in them, they love to throw away leads.

They are the most unreliable big side in the competition now, after all the bottling we see from them season after season in the UCL.

Sorry, i don't trust much this PSG side, plus as a team sides like Bayern, City, and Liverpool are better than PSG.

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
Such a shame that a player of his talent and ability is playing for such a pragmatic manager like Deschamps. France, given their talent, has to be one of the most boring national teams out there. Deschamp's Serie A past (old Italian football school) shines through his tactics with France. It would have been an absolute travesty if France had won the World Cup again.

But what a player Mbappé is. I don't think that he will ever match the achievements of Messi (collective and personal, records etc.) but I give him a better chance of doing it than any other player that Messi has been competing against.

I don't like PSG (QSG) for obvious reasons, although Barça has always kicked out PSG from the CL and other cups outside of the worst version of Barça in 2021, and the club rivalry is a bit fake, but a part of me would enjoy them winning it, if deserved, just for the sake of Messi and although Neymar made his biggest mistake by leaving in 2017, him too for the amazing football talent and entertainer that he is and always has been. Mbappé, while not the most likeable player, is a joy to watch often as well so no harm in him winning it, even more so after trolling the most corrupt and entitled club in football history. (RM).

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

Not only that. Assuming that the next Ballon d'Or is Messi's now, Mbappe can win his first with 25. Since Messi will have 8 then, Mbappe would need to win 8 out of the next 10 to match him at 35. He has more or less already lost on this front.

Besides, Mbappe is turning 24 in two days. The season Messi turned 24, he scored 73 goals. Mbappe is on course for 45 or so currently.
Yeah the second half of this season is paramount. Messi has a record-extending 8th Ballón d'or almost locked up. It's going to take Mbappe playing in God mode for the next six months to make him favourite (and it's entirely doable for him).

Otherwise, as you said, the gap will already by too large to bridge.

AlexanderTheGreat29

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I cannot see Mbappé winning the next Ballon D'or unless Messi completely disappears for the next half of the season while Kylian has freak performances and wins the UCL too , which is very unlikely.

If Mbappe can bring the CL to Paris , he could become the undisputed French GOAT before 30.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I cannot see Mbappé winning the next Ballon D'or unless Messi completely disappears for the next half of the season while Kylian has freak performances and wins the UCL too , which is very unlikely.

If Mbappe can bring the CL to Paris , he could become the undisputed French GOAT before 30.
Even then.. they're not going to ignore Messi finally winning the WC. Especially since the Ballon d'Or is so narrative driven and that was probably the best narrative of our generation.

Ans even if there was a slight chance, Messi so far has been better than Mbappe for PSG as well and since Mbappe plays in a position he dislikes that's unlikely to change this season.

Dan_F

three penalties and never looked like missing (besides everything else) says it all
Didn’t the keeper get a hand on two of them? I’m not saying they were bad penalties but “never looking like missing” probably isn’t right.

Revan

Assumptionman
Even then.. they're not going to ignore Messi finally winning the WC. Especially since the Ballon d'Or is so narrative driven and that was probably the best narrative of our generation.

Ans even if there was a slight chance, Messi so far has been better than Mbappe for PSG as well and since Mbappe plays in a position he dislikes that's unlikely to change this season.
World Cup won’t count for Ballon d’Or 2023. By virtue of not being in 2023.

If Mbappe wins UCL, he will win it, especially with Messi being at that stage in the MLS. And there is always some help for French Players to win it.

NB: I am wrong. They changed the rules this year, and now it is for season. Messi has it in the bag.

RedDevil@84

No chance. Messi has got this one in the bag even if he sleeps for rest of the season

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
three penalties and never looked like missing (besides everything else) says it all
The only cynical thing for me in the final was, 2 of his goals were penalties.

He was still anonymous besides the give and go for the 2nd goal which should have been defended better.

L'equipe ranked Mbappe higher than Messi with 9 a vs 8 match rating (French publication of course), for me the performances weren't close on the field.

Mbappe was anonymous for 80 minutes, yes he scored 2 penalties which he won 0 and he scored a worldie, top finish. He did bury the pens though full credit for his mental strength to score 3 pens in a game.

I think Muani offered more at times (which is because he's not marked as heavily as Mbappe not because Muani is a better player).

I don't think Mbappe has as much influence on a game as Messi but I think Mbappe has a real shout to beat Messi in: World Cups, European Titles, Champions Leagues, maybe... domestic titles.

I back France to win a Euro or two, and maybe another 2 World Cups.

I think that Mbappe might go down as the best international player of all time.

He will get 4-7 Balon d'Ors maybe higher on that estimate, he will go down as maybe the greatest of this generation that he's playing now, but he might get massive injuries, I do think domestic titles he needs to go to another league.

Pintu

If Mbappe wins UCL, he will win it, especially with Messi being at that stage in the MLS. And there is always some help for French Players to win it.
They changed that... Ballon d'Or is now based on European football season that starts in September. This WC will be a massive part (the main part) of the next one.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

It counts though right? because it happened AFTER the last Balon d'Or which was in October.

It's for the period of 12 months, I'm sure it will factor into that.

I do think its Mbappe vs Messi for this year Balon d'Or

Revan

Assumptionman
The only cynical thing for me in the final was, 2 of his goals were penalties.

He was still anonymous besides the give and go for the 2nd goal which should have been defended better.

L'equipe ranked Mbappe higher than Messi with 9 a vs 8 match rating (French publication of course), for me the performances weren't close on the field.

Mbappe was anonymous for 80 minutes, yes he scored 2 penalties which he won 0 and he scored a worldie, top finish. He did bury the pens though full credit for his mental strength to score 3 pens in a game.

I think Muani offered more at times (which is because he's not marked as heavily as Mbappe not because Muani is a better player).

I don't think Mbappe has as much influence on a game as Messi but I think Mbappe has a real shout to beat Messi in: World Cups, European Titles, Champions Leagues, maybe... domestic titles.

I back France to win a Euro or two, and maybe another 2 World Cups.

I think that Mbappe might go down as the best international player of all time.

He will get 4-7 Balon d'Ors maybe higher on that estimate, he will go down as maybe the greatest of this generation that he's playing now, but he might get massive injuries, I do think domestic titles he needs to go to another league.
4-7 is unlikely IMO. Only 2 players ever managed that (Pele would have managed that too if he would have been eligible). It is a hard award to be win. Haaland will get one or two from him, then you will have the occasional random players (Modric, Benzema, Cannavaro like).

He is 24 years old. By this age, Messi had already 3. He would need to have similar impact to Messi past 2011 to get 4 (as many as Messi got). 7 is totally out of the question IMO, even Messi was not able to do so post 24 years old.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Seemed absolutely sick of Macron after the 13th hug.
Macron annoys me too, he fanboys over Mbappe hard.

I dont know anything about France or its political system, but I'd assume he's also doing it to win favour with a younger generation too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His "Feck you Messi" revenge tour in CL will be something to behold :lol:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I don't know what the hype about him was. He only kicked into gear when he got a penalty to score. I'm not saying he's a bad player but I didn't see this great player that everyone seems to be suggesting that appeared last night.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Macron annoys me too, he fanboys over Mbappe hard.

I dont know anything about France or its political system, but I'd assume he's also doing it to win favour with a younger generation too.
He is a weird. During G20 Summit in Bali when the participants was walking around the streets after the event, he grabbed someone's baby (the local) and carry them around. Like why? not your baby and you dont need a baby to walk around.

Stacks

Cristiano came around earlier than Messi, winning Ballon d’Or in 2008 in case you didn’t notice. He also had peak Xavi & Iniesta with the all-conquering Spanish NT team to compete with as well as outliers like Sneijder & Ribery with perfect seasons.

It’s the other way round, by far.
Messi finished 2nd in 2007, ronaldo 3rd. Kaka 1st. They were both competing since 07

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Messi finished 2nd in 2007, ronaldo 3rd. Kaka 1st. They were both competing since 07
The other way round. Yet, Ronaldo had been on the scene for longer (as expected, given the age difference) — including a standout performance at the 2004 Euros (which already earned him a Ballon d'Or nomination) etc.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hey, I held my hands up earlier and said I was wrong. Beggars belief he's stuck on Paris. Could be smashing it for United
But we have so many options on that left-wing spot: Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho. Do we still need Mbappe??

/s

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The other way round. Yet, Ronaldo had been on the scene for longer (as expected, given the age difference) — including a standout performance at the 2004 Euros (which already earned him a Ballon d'Or nomination) etc.
The longevity is remarkable, isn't it. I remember 2004 Ronaldo very well. That's 18 years ago!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

NB: I am wrong. They changed the rules this year, and now it is for season. Messi has it in the bag.
As of this year, Ballon d’Or is based on season performance. Not calendar year so this World Cup will almost certainly be a colossal factor in deciding the winner.

Edit: I somehow missed that edit.

cyberman

World Cup only mattered when it was the last games of the season. This win will be overshadowed by the ridiculous second half of the season that We have in store imo.