Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Charles Miller

No it really doesnt .. But The Brazilians have made their group there with Neymar being the top Brazz not sure this is a great group to play with to be honest... That said I for one hoped that PSG could throw Real out but like always they come up short ... Like you said hardly the shambles it was last year but not really a step forward either ...
You talk a lot about things you dont know. Did you talk with Mbappe? Did you have some reliable internal information that the "Brazilian group" is harming his football?

Stop your prejudices, mate, you dont know the Brazilian players. Everybody in Brazil loves Mbappe and think he is fun to watch. I'm pretty sure that Neymar, Thiago, Dani Alves, Marquinhos, all those guys will try to help Mbappe as they can.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Good player but the hype around him has been crazy. I remember a while ago people were saying he is as good as Ronaldo De Lima at the same age :lol: which is pretty outlandish in hindsight.

Jonno

Good player but the hype around him has been crazy. I remember a while ago people were saying he is as good as Ronaldo De Lima at the same age :lol: which is pretty outlandish in hindsight.
Agreed. There’s always such a risk when hyping players up at that age, when their form for 1-2 seasons could quite easily fizzle out as it could progress. It’s basically a coin toss. Wonder if they will permanently sign him?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He is indeed a very good player and will only get better, but as you say, the hype merchants have been in severe overdrive about him for 12 months now, which of course will only result in a big thud once he fails to meet their self-imposed GOAT expectations.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He was being called world class and the best young forward since the Brazilian Ronaldo, after a good 6 months with Monaco.
Way to miss the point. He was being called those things at the time. Not that he might develop into them.

I can’t be bothered to go back and look through the thread with me arguing with people about him. People were claiming he was already in the top 10 players in the world. Not that he has the potential to be there. Good young talent but the hype over the past 2 years has been ridiculous.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Agreed. There’s always such a risk when hyping players up at that age, when their form for 1-2 seasons could quite easily fizzle out as it could progress. It’s basically a coin toss. Wonder if they will permanently sign him?
He is indeed a very good player and will only get better, but as you say, the hype merchants have been in severe overdrive about him for 12 months now, which of course will only result in a big thud once he fails to meet their self-imposed GOAT expectations.
I always said he was a good player with all the potential in the world, but it is crazy to hype a player and make statements like “he is going to be one of the best ever” or “he is as good as R9 was at this age”. Especially when anything can happen and he could have just been a flash in the pan as he was new on the scene and oppositions hadn’t figured him out yet.

He is a good player and may yet become the best of his generation, but plenty of players have had one great season then the rest average.

meamth

How has he been this season? Didn't really do a lot in either leg against Real.
He is a kid after all. People forget that.

Apart from last night's atrocious performance along with the team, he is doing well with PSG.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The kid is 19 and demolished Bayern, so what he didn't play at his best against the two time European Champions. You'd excuse the best players today for not performing against them, why criticize a young kid then? I think he'l do fine.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Of course you are right. But I will say this....watching him last season with Monaco, he was honestly playing at a level of maturity which was frightening for his age. As good as I've seen for a very, very long time. His finishing was absolutely world class, and he electrified the crowd every time he picked up the ball. I think it's a shame he went to PSG tbh. The wrong move in my opinion. Think he should've stayed at Monaco another year or two. It was perfect for his development, and then gone to a big team in a top league. At PSG he is getting all the riches he could imagine, but not in an environment that's really going to push him to be better.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The kid is 19 and demolished Bayern, so what he didn't play at his best against the two time European Champions. You'd excuse the best players today for not performing against them, why criticize a young kid then? I think he'l do fine.
And a lot of people here are only going to watch him when he is playing against sides like Real.

Hamadovich86

Impossibly talented kid, physically hes really strong I cant think of another current top player who was in such good shape at that age. He'll come good but I think it was a huge mistake going to PSG.

bebeanderson

I think he's a sure thing, people will give him a hard time but he's 19, you just know he'll come good. He looks good even when he plays shit, physically he looks above the rest. Watch out for him @ WC.

prateik

180m :lol:

Talented.. sure. Nowhere near worth that money though. Not even close.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
180m :lol:

Talented.. sure. Nowhere near worth that money though. Not even close.
Wrong. Player's worth is so arbitrary and is definitely not just based on football and performances. A player is worth what a club is ready to pay for him. The rest is just us fans judging transfers based on imagination. Saying "x player isn't worth what a club paid for him" makes absolutely no sense when you really think about it.

prateik

Rubbish. 180m for Mbappe is ridiculously overpriced. Monaco fleeced PSG..Good for them.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Rubbish. 180m for Mbappe is ridiculously overpriced. Monaco fleeced PSG..Good for them.
They'll be laughing at that price in two-three years when he's developed (easy to forget he's 19) and the transfers for ~200 mil will be more than common.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Of course it's a lot of money, just that if a club deems that player to be worth that, who the feck are we (when we're not even involved in professional transfer dealings) to say he isn't worth that. The worth of a player is one of the most pointless things discussed in football, how do we set what should a normal fee or what isn't ? Things change with every transfer window.

prateik

They'll be laughing at that price in two-three years when he's developed (easy to forget he's 19) and the transfers for ~200 mil will be more than common.
I dont think 200m transfers are going to be that common going forward. Not anytime soon at least..

And they are still paying for potential.. Its a huge risk to take. He might develop into a player worth that much... lets see.

I have no doubt he will be a very good player. worth 200m? Who knows. Seeing how rare those are, I wouldnt put money on it.

and fwiw, I think Neymar is overpriced at 222m too.. but Mbappe at 180m is worse.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
I can't believe this KID with 1 year of decent football cost £160,000,000, what the actual feck... What were PSG thinking?! He'd need to win a Balon D'or and CL's as the main man to even begin justifying that price

prateik

Of course it's a lot of money, just that if a club deems that player to be worth that, who the feck are we (when we're not even involved in professional transfer dealings) to say he isn't worth that. The worth of a player is one of the most pointless things discussed in football, how do we set what should a normal fee or what isn't ? Things change with every transfer window.
Normal fee is judging similar talent and seeing what the going rate it.

And if you want to take the stance of not calling things overpriced because there is someone willing to pay for it, I hope you apply that logic to life outside football as well.

Just did a quick search
I cannot fecking believe they give him playing time when you have Johnson (who despite being really inconsistent is twice the player) or even Pizzaro in midfield.
Milner was another overrated and overpriced english signing.

£49m is overpriced but not significantly so in a world where Shaw goes for £30m. They're buying his potential, much like we did with Shaw.
In both instances, a stupid amount of money.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/raheem-sterling-signs-for-man-city-for-£49-000-000.404808/page-84#post-17770237

Not overrated but definitely overpriced (which I still think he was).
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/anthony-martial-2015-16-performances.408881/page-154#post-19215636

Gignac is a good example of a similar player like Carroll.An overrated,overpriced player who to the contrary of Carroll had one good season complete in France.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/danny-welbeck-2011-14-performances.336437/page-44#post-11752143

Last edited:

GBBQ

If the day ever comes where they laugh at that price for being cheap then I think I'll give up on football.
He's not saying its cheap, just that with the way the market is going it will be seen as 40 mil below the going rate for a world class player which is good business if he fulfills his potential. Its like us paying a potential total of 58 mil for Martial seemed like crazy money a few years back, now it looks like value in a crazy market.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
He's not saying its cheap, just that with the way the market is going it will be seen as 40 mil below the going rate for a world class player which is good business if he fulfills his potential. Its like us paying a potential total of 58 mil for Martial seemed like crazy money a few years back, now it looks like value in a crazy market.
Great logic, let's pay £160M today for a player with potential (who may not even fulfill it) because potentially £160M COULD POSSIBLY be seen as normal in the future (which may not even happen)

Last edited:

GBBQ

Great logic, let's pay £160M for a player with potential (who may not even fulfill it) because potentially £160M COULD POSSIBLY be seen as normal in the future (which may not even happen)
You have seen how inflated the market has gotten, right? I mean you just spunked 70 million on a defender. Pretty sure the 200 mil mark for a world class player will be the norm soon.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Great logic, let's pay £160M for a player with potential (who may not even fulfill it) because potentially £160M COULD POSSIBLY be seen as normal in the future (which may not even happen)
It wasn't purely on the potential, it was also down to the season he's had at Monaco and the natural ability that he's displaying, plus all the data that the scouts from the biggest clubs in the world have gathered from scouting him for years.

Given that you've gotten what, 100 mil quid for a fecking Coutinho 160 mil for Mbappe doesn't seem that outrageous, at the same time you've spunked 75 mil quid on van Dijk and back in the days you've paid massive money for Carroll, Henderson and Downing holy trinity. PSG could as well be overpaying for Mbappe, sure, but they're overpaying for 1) quality and 2) potential whereas you're and were overpaying for shite.

@GBBQ's analogy to Martial is pretty apt I'd say.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
You have seen how inflated the market has gotten, right? I mean you just spunked 70 million on a defender. Pretty sure the 200 mil mark for a world class player will be the norm soon.
Exactly it could, but it also could not. Who knows, the bubble might burst for all we know which is why the fee they paid is ridiculous imo and the VVD fee is silly too but needed to be paid directly as a result of PSG inflating the market by paying £160M for a 18 year old. Atleast VVD is pretty much the finished article at 26 so we knew what we were buying, but Mbappe is pure potential atm with a lot of maturing and development needed, not just as a player but as a person too

It wasn't purely on the potential, it was also down to the season he's had at Monaco and the natural ability that he's displaying, plus all the data that the scouts from the biggest clubs in the world have gathered from scouting him for years.

Given that you've gotten what, 100 mil quid for a fecking Coutinho 160 mil for Mbappe doesn't seem that outrageous, at the same time you've spunked 75 mil quid on van Dijk and back in the days you've paid massive money for Carroll, Henderson and Downing holy trinity. PSG could as well be overpaying for Mbappe, sure, but they're overpaying for 1) quality and 2) potential whereas you're and were overpaying for shite.

@GBBQ's analogy to Martial is pretty apt I'd say.
Coutinho is 25 with years of experience and is genuinely top class, I'd pay £120M for Coutinho than £160M for an 18 year old Mbappe any day of the week. It's crazy how an 18 yr old with a good 6 months cost £30-40M more than a prime Coutinho, and only £40M less than fecking Neymar

Last edited:

James Peril

Not really, I doubt you have the expertise to comment on the economy behind this. Mbappe is extremely young, has the most insane talent the world has seen in decades and has 10+ seasons ahead of him. I have seen enough of him to place him in the same category as Ronaldo, Messi and C. Ronaldo when it comes to natural, raw talent and understanding of the game, the guy has decided big matches at 18. I am not saying he is a new Messi, nobody ever will be, but just imagine Messi’s value at 18 if you had a crystal ball.

For exceptional talents, you have to pay the big bucks and take the risk. Every transfer is a risk, but let’s not talk about this guy either ending up as either Ronaldo or Francis Jeffers on 50/50. Mbappe is already top-class, as in he would get into most if not all teams in the world. His pace, technique and touch all combined is just unheard of at this age.

180M? It’s a fair price and in five years he will look cheap - barring any injury problems like Bale, Reus and the lot.

Classical Mechanic

I'm pretty sure you've used the hyperbolic term 'demolished' Bayern for Mbappe before. Do you mean in this game?

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...e-2017-2018-Paris-Saint-Germain-Bayern-Munich

Touched the ball 26 times and made 17 passes, made 3 key passes and 1 assist. Had 1 shot on goal and 0 on target. Made 2 successful dribbles.

Weird definition of 'demolished' if so.

Compare him to Neymar in that game

78 touches (by far the most for PSG) and 43 passes. 2 key passes, 1 assist. 4 shots on goal 1 goal scored. 6 successful dribbles.

GBBQ

Exactly it could, but it also could not. Who knows, the bubble might burst for all we know which is why the fee they paid is ridiculous imo and the VVD fee is silly too but needed to be paid directly as a result of PSG inflating the market by paying £160M for a 18 year old. Atleast VVD is pretty much the finished article at 26 so we knew what we were buying, but Mbappe is pure potential atm with a lot of maturing and development needed, not just as a player but as a person too
PSG did not inflate the VVD sale, the EPL TV money did. Liverpool probably caused their own issues there as well having tapped up VVD (and the pick of the Southampton team for the past few years).

Trizy

If we're honest, it's the reactions from last year that were over the top.
The truth lies inbetween.
The only overrated thing about this kid is the price tag. No player Never mind a youth should warrant 150m.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I can't believe this KID with 1 year of decent football cost £160,000,000, what the actual feck... What were PSG thinking?! He'd need to win a Balon D'or and CL's as the main man to even begin justifying that price
Why he's already world class in terms of end product while played out of position. He's levels above Lukaku and Morata who both cost half that and has 10+ years of amortisation if they can extend his contract. That works out at less than 16m per year if he plays well until he's 30 plus wages, which at the amount is around 16m per year. So he's costing about the same as Alexis Sanchez is per season in terms of amortisation and Mbappe will only get better where as Alexis will probably decline as he ages.

The only risk is if he gets a career ending injury earlier.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Haven't seen much of him since the UCL group stages but that combined with last season for Monaco I've never been more convinced that a player is destined for the very top, he'll be the one that takes over form Messi & Ronaldo

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I'm pretty sure you've used the hyperbolic term 'demolished' Bayern for Mbappe before. Do you mean in this game?

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...e-2017-2018-Paris-Saint-Germain-Bayern-Munich

Touched the ball 26 times and made 17 passes, made 3 key passes and 1 assist. Had 1 shot on goal and 0 on target. Made 2 successful dribbles.

Weird definition of 'demolished' if so.

Compare him to Neymar in that game

78 touches (by far the most for PSG) and 43 passes. 2 key passes, 1 assist. 4 shots on goal 1 goal scored. 6 successful dribbles.
Stats don't tell the whole story, Mbappe created so many chances that game and made Neymar's tap in by beating 3 players but didn't get an assist because the ball hit a Bayern player on the way. Only 3 key passes is maybe a disservice to the amount he created, watch his every touch video:

I'd say destroyed Bayern is accurate

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Stats don't tell the whole story, Mbappe created so many chances that game and made Neymar's tap in by beating 3 players but didn't get an assist because the ball hit a Bayern player on the way. Only 3 key passes is maybe a disservice to the amount he created, watch his every touch video:

He definitely did not destroy us, if anyone did, it was Neymar. We were in the weakest state since 2012 though and Ancelotti decided to provoke his dismissal by playing a second string squad. Still Mbappe is the best performing young player out there with Sané IMO.

Classical Mechanic

We will have to agree to disagree then. That is not a destruction, in my opinion.

He didn't get an assist for Neymar because his ball was poor and went to a Bayern player who should have cleared it.

He did well on the first assist but the striker scored a great goal from a not a great position.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
We will have to agree to disagree then. That is not a destruction, in my opinion.
Then you have high standards, he made 2 of the goals, could of had 4-5 assists and was the heart of nearly everything PSG created. Certainly outperformed Neymar in that game