Kylian Mbappe | PSG

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
With the quality of players they are acquiring there's every possibility of it happening. They've got the best or second best squad in the world right now. One club has won 3 of the last 4 CL's while another has 3 in the last 8 seasons. i guess it's fair to say dominating European football hasn't been all that difficult for those clubs. What both have in common is squads with a frightening amount of quality in them, PSG is in the same boat.
I have noticed a lot of people saying this. I disagree and I don't think it is as simple as saying they are the second best. It depends on how they gel also. For me there are 3 teams better. Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Barca may be weaker without Neymar, but they still have a lot of quality. They have the worlds best player in Lionel Messi, Suarez is still a very good player, Busquets, Iniesta, Rakitic, Mascherano, Pique, Alba, all still quality players, add to that Dembele. The front 3 of Barca is still better than PSG just for the fact they have Messi. Bayern may have some aging players but the team is still quality. Lewandowski, Muller, Ribery, Robben, Thiago, Neuer, James, Vidal, Hummels, Boateng, Alaba, Rafinha, Martinez.

RooneyLegend

I have noticed a lot of people saying this. I disagree and I don't think it is as simple as saying they are the second best. It depends on how they gel also. For me there are 3 teams better. Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Barca may be weaker without Neymar, but they still have a lot of quality. They have the worlds best player in Lionel Messi, Suarez is still a very good player, Busquets, Iniesta, Rakitic, Mascherano, Pique, Alba, all still quality players, add to that Dembele. The front 3 of Barca is still better than PSG just for the fact they have Messi. Bayern may have some aging players but the team is still quality. Lewandowski, Muller, Ribery, Robben, Thiago, Neuer, James, Vidal, Hummels, Boateng, Alaba, Rafinha, Martinez.
Completely disagree on those teams having more quality than PSG. Barca just got dismantled by Madrid and Bayern are finding it difficult to replace their stars. PSG were already a quality side but with these additions, they're up a level/

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
One thing I wonder about is where can MBappe go from here in his development? No doubt he's phenomenal for his age, but he seems like a pretty complete player already - much more an early developer like Rooney when he joined us than Ronaldo, and far more likely to pick up injuries over time due to the power required in his running.

How much would Pato have cost aged 18 today?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
He can become a legend in his own country, why would he want to move abroad?
Well, for the reasons I mentioned. If it was me, I would definately choose the challenge of playing in the biggest leagues in the world, facing the toughest opponents and being watched by millions every week over winning a gazillion league titles with a PSG team that's miles ahead of its competition.

Bwuk

Mbappe is miles ahead of Rashford. Don't see the comparison at all.

Hojoon

Well, for the reasons I mentioned. If it was me, I would definately choose the challenge of playing in the biggest leagues in the world, facing the toughest opponents and being watched by millions every week over winning a gazillion league titles with a PSG team that's miles ahead of its competition.
He gets to represent the city he was born in, that's really special considering he's also going to be a starter, have a good chance of winning CL, and earn a lot at the same time.

Edit: Basically it's really rare that the club of the city you're from matches the same ambition as the player.

Last edited:

ChaddyP

or. Maybe he wants to try and win the Champions league with PSG something far more harder than if he were to do it with a fully functional real Madrid and bring more recognition to the French league and basically be the star man for France for years to come while living in Paris

Schneckerl

I know, but that's my point. Anybody who watched him play for 5 minutes would come away thinking "he'll be the best ever". Injuries aside, no amount of money would be crazy for an 18 yo Ronaldo in 2017
Not true. It doesn't matter how great a young player is - there will always be a lot of doubters until he has 'proven himself' whatever that means. Has been like that since forever and no athlete was spared from it.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.soccer/Q5RunMKCKsw[1-25]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!s...nce/rec.sport.soccer/i-wYEaje7ow/uXvjoBxcnaMJ
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!s...nce/rec.sport.soccer/xTdHFafLpKw/mkUIMjCs1S8J

The timeline is important here, not looking at it from a hindsight perspective. The transfer took place after he missed half of the season due to injury following his outstanding first year for PSV. Good reason for the naysayers to emerge.

Anyways that's was not the main point.

The poster I responded to claimed he is not worth 100M on this market, nearly every big club chased him and were willing to pay a fee beyond that.
Unless there is different definition of 'worth' that I'm missing, this doesn't make any sense at all.

RedCurry

With the quality of players they are acquiring there's every possibility of it happening. They've got the best or second best squad in the world right now. One club has won 3 of the last 4 CL's while another has 3 in the last 8 seasons. i guess it's fair to say dominating European football hasn't been all that difficult for those clubs. What both have in common is squads with a frightening amount of quality in them, PSG is in the same boat.

It is quite rare to dominate in Europe. Just because Real and Barca had perhaps two players who might be considered the best players ever supported by world class team behind them, they clearly dominated. Neither Neymar nor Mbappe are at the level of prime Ronaldo and Messi, not even close. It's unlikely for any player to be that level again any time soon.

PSG isn't the best team in Europe, Madrid is. There's currently no contest between Madrid and any other team. Beyond them, the next 4 or 5 teams are pretty close in terms of quality. Last season Monaco were clearly the best team in France and yet they were thoroughly beaten by Juventus and Barca put 6 past PSG in the second leg. Getting Neymar and Mbappe closes that gap maybe but it doesn't make them clear dominating force at all. They'd do well to win one or two CL in next five years. As it stands, they've never won it. Both City and PSG have tried throwing money at it and failed to win it. This time might be different but it's not as easy as you make it sound.

RooneyLegend

It is quite rare to dominate in Europe. Just because Real and Barca had perhaps two players who might be considered the best players ever supported by world class team behind them, they clearly dominated. Neither Neymar nor Mbappe are at the level of prime Ronaldo and Messi, not even close. It's unlikely for any player to be that level again any time soon.

PSG isn't the best team in Europe, Madrid is. There's currently no contest between Madrid and any other team. Beyond them, the next 4 or 5 teams are pretty close in terms of quality. Last season Monaco were clearly the best team in France and yet they were thoroughly beaten by Juventus and Barca put 6 past PSG in the second leg. Getting Neymar and Mbappe closes that gap maybe but it doesn't make them clear dominating force at all. They'd do well to win one or two CL in next five years. As it stands, they've never won it. Both City and PSG have tried throwing money at it and failed to win it. This time might be different but it's not as easy as you make it sound.
We'll get to see how close he is to them this season, anyways the team has to be great in order for them to win, not having a Messi or a Ronaldo won't affect them too much as they'll still have a very impressive attacking Unit. I'd honestly rather have PSG's two best players rather than the two best players from any other team. City haven't picked up players of this quality. They've picked up some good players, sometimes great players but no one that warrants being the most expensive player of all time. Previously only two teams made these sort of signings (Madrid and Barca) and thus it's no surprise they've done so so well.

Not sure if Madrid are indeed better than PSG. Obviously that's something no one can actually know considering the season is still in its infancy and these two purchases are going to be a massive influence. Funny enough, Neymar was the biggest influence in Barca getting that victory, and that was literally a freak victory. Again, PSG were signing good players but not superstars of these proportions, now they are. Madrid threw money at it and are now enjoying some of the greatest success they ever have.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Anyways that's was not the main point.

The poster I responded to claimed he is not worth 100M on this market, nearly every big club chased him and were willing to pay a fee beyond that.
Unless there is different definition of 'worth' that I'm missing, this doesn't make any sense at all.
Absolutely. And just for reference, in 2006 Massimo Moratti was ready to pay Messi(not yet 19) €150m buyout clause. Confirmed by Laporta, Jorge Messi and Moratti

Litch

I think the ability to win the CL is the maturity of your team and the sum of all their parts. We dominated as we had players hitting their peak, as did Barca as does Madrid. I suspect it will be PSG ability to be patient that will be in question as it continues to be in a state of flux all the time.

It's a great move for him as a Paris lad but not sure the circus of PSG is the best place to grow your career....

Andersons Dietician

You would think at 165mil that is him locked in to PSG. If he continues on the path of the development he was on last season and keeps improving and is a valuable member of that team what is he likely to be worth. I really can't see a team forking out over 200mil again for a player, not for some time.

I do wonder about Uniteds spending power, I mean Woodward said we can make moves in the transfer market that others can only dream of. Might have been talking about your Newcastles,Palace's and so on tho. You would think the cash is there to make moves like that but is their the willingness. I mean we are a business run to make profit where PSG and Cuty aren't.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He said the circus of PSG

So considering t was really only PSG and Madrid in for him in a serious way, does he think PSG is more of a circus than Madrid?
I don't know what he thinks but the point he made is valid on its own, without making any juxtaposition with Madrid. You can think both clubs would be bad for him and still say what he said.

I just don't like it when people frame questions as statements based on loose assumptions.

Litch

He said the circus of PSG

So considering t was really only PSG and Madrid in for him in a serious way, does he think PSG is more of a circus than Madrid?
Madrid isn't a circus anything like a few years ago....But I never said he would be better there. However, they've built a team and have young quality Spanish players as oppose to just signing this years best player. The circus of changing their manager each season has gone too and the management of CR's profile has been perfect. You get the sense it's no longer all about him. All these and more have contributed to them winning the CL on the bounce. PSG have just paid 350m on two players.....this is unprecedented in football. The circus has come to town.....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Madrid isn't a circus anything like a few years ago. They've built a team and have young quality Spanish players as oppose to just signing this years best player. The circus of changing their manager each season has gone too and the management of CR's profile has been perfect. You get the sense it's no longer all about him. All these and more have contributed to them winning the CL on the bounce. PSG have just paid 350m on two players.....this is unprecedented in football. The circus has come to town.....
PSG are just doing now what Madrid has been doing for years

Fair play to the young lad for staying in his home country and playing for his home city. He's still young and can always move 5 years later, when he will still only be 23.

So I don't get why people are making such a big fuss about him going to PSG. All jealousy bollocks imho

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't know what he thinks but the point he made is valid on its own, without making any juxtaposition with Madrid. You can think both clubs would be bad for him and still say what he said.

I just don't like it when people frame questions as statements based on loose assumptions.
Well, going by his response my assumption was correct

Litch

Well, going by his response my assumption was correct
Your assumption is completely wrong. I wasn't comparing as I have no idea whether Madrid wanted him or not. My response was purely based on why I don't think Madrid is anything like the circus it was previously. Conversely your comment that PSG are only doing what Real did previous is exactly why it's a circus by your definition. Like I said, if it's a comparison the team that's just paid 350m on two players against one with one of the best managers that's promoting young Spanish talent whilst managing some of the best players in the world into a cohesive unit, I know which one I'd pick.

Im not jealous as it's an unhealthy precedent that PSG has created and when you pay 200m for a player, where do you go from there....?

Joseunited

Your assumption is completely wrong. I wasn't comparing as I have no idea whether Madrid wanted him or not. My response was purely based on why I don't think Madrid is anything like the circus it was previously. Conversely your comment that PSG are only doing what Real did previous is exactly why it's a circus by your definition. Like I said, if it's a comparison the team that's just paid 350m on two players against one with one of the best managers that's promoting young Spanish talent whilst managing some of the best players in the world into a cohesive unit.

Im not jealous as it's an unhealthy precedent that PSG has created and when you pay 200m for a player, where do you go from there....?[/QUOTE]

Champions league glory probably.

Litch

Who knows but I don't think so. I think there are better cohesive teams where PSG teams are always in a state of flux.

Marcelinho87

They are obliged to buy, yes? So if it turns out that actually in fact Mbappe is quite wank and just had a one off season, they still have to spunk £160m on him or whatever the feck it is?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They are obliged to buy, yes? So if it turns out that actually in fact Mbappe is quite wank and just had a one off season, they still have to spunk £160m on him or whatever the feck it is?
Unless they get relegated, yes

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Big, big praise.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Absolutely. And just for reference, in 2006 Massimo Moratti was ready to pay Messi(not yet 19) €150m buyout clause. Confirmed by Laporta, Jorge Messi and Moratti
Do you have any sources for that?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Completely disagree on those teams having more quality than PSG. Barca just got dismantled by Madrid and Bayern are finding it difficult to replace their stars. PSG were already a quality side but with these additions, they're up a level/
I suppose we could both put up a decent argument and there is not much difference between the 3 of them excluding Real cos they are easily the best at the moment.

I still think Barcelona have the edge just for the fact that they have Messi, he could still rip their whole team apart if he fancied it. Bayern have an awesome team still and it will be interesting to see how the ego's at PSG will react knowing that they now have a player who is getting paid 200k more than any other player in the team.

It will be interesting to see how PSG do in Europe. I hope they fail though. No one wants a team to dominate Europe by buying their way there. Fair enough, the other big teams spend big but they haven't been bankrolled by the super rich. They actually created their own success more or less.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I suppose we could both put up a decent argument and there is not much difference between the 3 of them excluding Real cos they are easily the best at the moment.

I still think Barcelona have the edge just for the fact that they have Messi, he could still rip their whole team apart if he fancied it. Bayern have an awesome team still and it will be interesting to see how the ego's at PSG will react knowing that they now have a player who is getting paid 200k more than any other player in the team.

It will be interesting to see how PSG do in Europe. I hope they fail though. No one wants a team to dominate Europe by buying their way there. Fair enough, the other big teams spend big but they haven't been bankrolled by the super rich. They actually created their own success more or less.
How can they have the edge when Barcelona only won the last confrontation 6-5 on two legs with Neymar being by far the best individual on the field?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Messi isn't that Messi anymore. He has become more casual and doesn't have that intensity anymore. He's still the best but he's becoming more reliant on his teammates now.

AlexUTD

I think PSG did this and hoping they only get to register 22 players for CL than 25 players penalty, instead of getting banned from CL.

Even if they get banned from buying players a transfer window or two they still got Neymar and Mbappe.

Fenomeno9

How can they have the edge when Barcelona only won the last confrontation 6-5 on two legs with Neymar being by far the best individual on the field?
People act like Barca played PSG off the park over 2 legs last year.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Maybe they have the edge because they knocked out Nasser's PSG every time they've met. Which is 3 times in the last 5 years.

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe they have the edge because they knocked out Nasser's PSG every time they've met. Which is 3 times in the last 5 years.
He is talking about the future. Barcelona don't have the edge on Real Madrid despite their recent past, do they?

And to make it clear, I personally don't know who has the edge.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Messi isn't that Messi anymore. He has become more casual and doesn't have that intensity anymore. He's still the best but he's becoming more reliant on his teammates now.
He isn't the same Messi anymore you are right, but he is still the best player in the world and is unplayable on a good day. He can still play a defence splitting pass or go past people easily.

People act like Barca played PSG off the park over 2 legs last year.
No they didn't play the off the park correct and PSG have Neymar now but head to head games don't prove who is the better team regardless of how close it was. For me PSG are fourth best on paper but arguably fifth best overall. Considering Juventus were the team that made it to the Champions League final last year. PSG have a brilliant team but to easily dismiss Barca, Bayern and Juve is silly. The top teams are close quality wise.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
He is talking about the future. Barcelona don't have the edge on Real Madrid despite their recent past, do they?

And to make it clear, I personally don't know who has the edge.
Barca does, until PSG sets a new order, which is yet to do on the field. People think just signing the players is job done. Let's see how PSG do in CL. They've yet to even make one semifinal. Were kicked out even by City.

JPRouve

Scout
Barca does, until PSG sets a new order, which is yet to do on the field. People think just signing the players is job done. Let's see how PSG do in CL. They've yet to even make one semifinal. Were kicked out even by City.
So you agree with me, you don't know and we should see how PSG and Barcelona do with their new teams. Good then.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
So you agree with me, you don't know and we should see how PSG and Barcelona do with their new teams. Good then.
We still have to see how Madrid does this season in CL, but they're the best team in the world based on recent results. Based on recent results, PSG isn't even the best team in France.