Kylian Mbappe | PSG

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We still have to see how Madrid does this season in CL, but they're the best team in the world based on recent results. Based on recent results, PSG isn't even the best team in France.
Maybe, you do realize that I didn't put PSG above Barcelona? My point is simply that when a team lose a key player and an other one gain a key player, the teams are modified enough to make past results irrelevant, to me at the moment no one can tell who has the edge.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Pato was hamstrung by unprofessional conduct, lack of ambition, injury issues and by many accounts didn't really show a similar mental aptitude to Mbappe. That description works for a lot of players, Anelka, Torres, Owen, Saviola, Sturridge, Higuain, Aubameyang, Cisse etc. It doesn't say much without taking other factors into consideration, but I'd agree that not many of those were ever world class.
Incorrect. Mbappe has had ONE season. Let's see how superstardom treats him in two years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The kid is the real deal, best talent out there.. and ahead of Rooney at the same age IMO (well not in terms of what he's produced maybe i.e. Euro > UCL, but he will smash it at the World Cup I reckon). Way ahead of someone like Rashford.. his finishing ability, composure and control of the ball, tricks, it is all together in one cohesive whole already. He will get quicker and stronger which is the scary thing, I still see growth in him as a player.

He is a Ballon D'or winner of the future.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The kid is the real deal, best talent out there.. and ahead of Rooney at the same age IMO (well not in terms of what he's produced maybe i.e. Euro > UCL, but he will smash it at the World Cup I reckon). Way ahead of someone like Rashford.. his finishing ability, composure and control of the ball, tricks, it is all together in one cohesive whole already. He will get quicker and stronger which is the scary thing, I still see growth in him as a player.

He is a Ballon D'or winner of the future.
For me the really scary part is that if everything goes his way with experience, he will be smarter. But it is important to remind people that at 19 years old M'Vila was unplayable.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For me the really scary part is that if everything goes his way with experience, he will be smarter. But it is important to remind people that at 19 years old M'Vila was unplayable.
It's also hard to say how much room for improvement he still has. On the one hand, he could be the next cristiano, but on the other, he could also be the next raul/rooney(which is nothing to scoff at)

RooneyLegend

I suppose we could both put up a decent argument and there is not much difference between the 3 of them excluding Real cos they are easily the best at the moment.

I still think Barcelona have the edge just for the fact that they have Messi, he could still rip their whole team apart if he fancied it. Bayern have an awesome team still and it will be interesting to see how the ego's at PSG will react knowing that they now have a player who is getting paid 200k more than any other player in the team.

It will be interesting to see how PSG do in Europe. I hope they fail though. No one wants a team to dominate Europe by buying their way there. Fair enough, the other big teams spend big but they haven't been bankrolled by the super rich. They actually created their own success more or less.
In truth while the signings are huge, they haven't really outspend many of the big boys by all that much. Pretty sure their net spend vs our net spend in the post Moyes will have us spending more. Sure, they gambled on a single player but other clubs are spending huge too just on a variety of players. I don't think there is much of a difference between them and Madrid, not the other three. While they are all good sides i don't they've done enough in the market to be at that very top bracket.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He played 20 minutes against a 10 men netherlands with 2-0 in the score and the game already all but over. He was seriously impressive, but the opponent wasn't much

Hojoon

Great cameo but I don't think he showed anymore than he's already shown at Monaco since it was against a poor and tired Dutch side who were already down a man and a goal. Fosu-Mensah though :drool:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Reminds me of Brazil Ronaldo.
Yeah, definite simliarities in style. Mbappe has that same sense of being irrepressible, but Ronaldo was next-level in that sense - he was genuinely unstoppable. Was just watching the highlights of his Barcelona debut and it's ridiculous. One speactular goal, one beautiful assist, a tap-in, 2 missed open nets, 1 missed one-on-one...they just had no way to handle him. Mbappe's an amazing talent but I'm not sure he's that good...

...but then he's got a couple of years to go yet. It's easy to remember the young Ronaldo as a practically flawless, unstoppable force, but his first couple of games for PSV shows it's not that straightforward...even the elite players take time to fully adjust at that level. He stepped up a level at Barcelona and we should expect Mbappe to do the same at PSG. Definitely exciting to see what he can develop into.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
M'bappé could be great but Ronaldo is untouchable.

Agree that some similarities with Henry and Ronaldo could be found though

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
http://www.beinsports.com/us/soccer/news/kylian-mbappe-wants-to-make-history-with-psg/639546

"Great players make history in their own country," he told Telefoot. "If I had left France after six months I would have left as an eternal hope.

"When you come to Paris you are at a club that has the ambition to be the best in the world, you have come to a club that wants to play in all the competitions.

"I'm going to give everything I have got to make history with PSG.

"Playing with Neymar is something extraordinary. PSG already interested me, but having Neymar is an additional boost."

The forward also paid tribute to Monaco, saying the club will remain dear to him.

He added: "I will never forget Monaco and I will always be grateful to the club."

Damien

Staff
Monaco vice president:

"It was a very tough transfer. At the start, we didn't want to let him go to a direct competitor, but I've always shared a good relationship with his father who is also his agent. They convinced me," the Russian explained to TASS

"But the talks with Paris were very complicated. We couldn't understand how they could sign the player without breaking FFP."

"It was a deal between three parties. The Mbappes always said that it was going to be done by the best terms for us," he added.

"Paris paid the price we asked, which was as much as we got from other European clubs".

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Reminds me of Brazil Ronaldo.
As others have said, Ronaldo was another level. No disrespect to Mbappe though, Ronaldo was one in a generation stuff.

Mbappe actually reminds me more of this kid, who people often forget how good he was when he (cliché alert) burst onto the scene:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He reminds me a lot of Pato. Technically better, but the pace, strenght and directness, coupled with his maturity of his game are the same. Pato had a better shot though(much better. Pato was a goal threat from 35 yards)

Mainoldo

So much gas the video cameo wasn't even that great. Good player though but it should be a jail sentence to compare him to Ronaldo.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I see more Ronaldo in him than Henry.

JoaquinJoaquin

He reminds me a lot of Pato. Technically better, but the pace, strenght and directness, coupled with his maturity of his game are the same. Pato had a better shot though(much better. Pato was a goal threat from 35 yards)
Mbappe is alot more humble though and that will be what keeps him at a world class level throughout his career unlike Pato, who loved the celebrity side of things off the pitch which eventually hindered him (amongst numerous injuries).

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Pato & Mbappe are very different in terms of physical impact. Not the same weight if you prefer !

AmanNits04

PSG has all the players in the world but will not win a lot if they don't hire the right manager.I see Pep joining PSG next after city because he won't be able to dominate in England like he is used to in a league which are a two horse race.PSG owners will throw Emery under the bus the moment they get a chance to sign Pep. Let's just wait for another 6 months before judging This kid as well PSG!

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Not really comparable talent wise, this kid looks like a youngRonaldo, M'Vila skills weren't particularly impressive even if he had the physicality, something Mbappe too has.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, definite simliarities in style. Mbappe has that same sense of being irrepressible, but Ronaldo was next-level in that sense - he was genuinely unstoppable. Was just watching the highlights of his Barcelona debut and it's ridiculous. One speactular goal, one beautiful assist, a tap-in, 2 missed open nets, 1 missed one-on-one...they just had no way to handle him. Mbappe's an amazing talent but I'm not sure he's that good...

...but then he's got a couple of years to go yet. It's easy to remember the young Ronaldo as a practically flawless, unstoppable force, but his first couple of games for PSV shows it's not that straightforward...even the elite players take time to fully adjust at that level. He stepped up a level at Barcelona and we should expect Mbappe to do the same at PSG. Definitely exciting to see what he can develop into.

Mbappe literally seems to already have it 'all', the dribbling, close control, pace, turns, strength movement, pace, finishing, passing, crossing. There's not much weaknesses, other than he isn't quite elite technique, so still things to work on. His close control isn't as good as a 20yo Ronaldo, but he's still only 18. Ofcourse Ronaldo himself was never the same physically after the age of 22/23 due to injuries. If Mbappe keeps improving with dedication in the manner of a CR7 did he will easily be this generations player as age for age he's definitely a more talented teen than CR7.

The only issue with him is he did score allot of his goals off the bench against tired legs and against lower tabled teams and defensively even worse than all of those....Man City

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He was elegant on the pitch but I have never seen him as an impact player.

Stephane Dalmat at the same age was much more impressive :drool: But he met Luis Fernandez :(:mad:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It is not exactly the same because Mbappe is younger but Memphis looked like the next big thing because he tore up the Dutch league. He moved to a bigger club with greater expectations and couldn't handle it.

I remember everyone waxing lyrical about him and saying that we finally have our replacement for Ronaldo. We gave him the 7 shirt because we had massive expectations of how good he seemed to be. Look how that turned out.

Not saying Mbappe will flop badly but at such a young age he may be very underwhelming. The difference between this and the Memphis scenario is that he is coming into a team that is already full of top quality. We were in transition and played bad football. Having the likes of Di Maria, Neymar and Cavani around him is going to make him look better than he is. If Memphis had just had that amazing in the Eredivisie and went to them now he would look a world beater.

Smudge

It is not exactly the same because Mbappe is younger but Memphis looked like the next big thing because he tore up the Dutch league. He moved to a bigger club with greater expectations and couldn't handle it.

I remember everyone waxing lyrical about him and saying that we finally have our replacement for Ronaldo. We gave him the 7 shirt because we had massive expectations of how good he seemed to be. Look how that turned out.

Not saying Mbappe will flop badly but at such a young age he may be very underwhelming. The difference between this and the Memphis scenario is that he is coming into a team that is already full of top quality. We were in transition and played bad football. Having the likes of Di Maria, Neymar and Cavani around him is going to make him look better than he is. If Memphis had just had that amazing in the Eredivisie and went to them now he would look a world beater.
The flops get found out sooner or later which is why they get moved on from the big clubs.

Memphis would not get away with being carried by PSG's attack

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Looking at some of that Ronaldo Fenomeno footage when he was 18...christ, what a monstrous talent.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
As much talent as Mbappe has, I do think he's been grossly overhyped. People comparing him to both Ronaldos is a bit much at the moment. Ronaldo9 didn't really have a long enough career and CR7 has more than just talent to make him who he became. Coaching also plays a large part too in a young player's development also.

It's highly likely he's already hit his prime and will only maintain it for a short time, but then of course I could be wrong and he goes on to become a top striker. Nevertheless, comparing him to some phenomenal talents is way too premature. Let's not forget Gomis and Balotelli amongst other average strikers scored as many or more goals than he did in France last season.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff

Mbappe tore it up in the Champions League as well including scoring against the best defence in the world, so the Memphis tearing up the Dutch league reasoning doesn't quite wash.

I really doubt Memphis would look a world beater at PSG.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Memphis was a good talent but he made the wrong decision to bulk up like a body builder. He ended up losing that explosiveness he had. Unfortunately for him he was always a 1 trick pony also.

Mbappe is clearly a different level though. He's built like a greyhound but also very strong, similar to Rashford.
The way he moves is very mature, and the tricks/flicks take his game to the next level that only a number of great players can actually employ in a good way without looking fancy for no reason.

Yes he might get complacent and no longer progress, but I cannot see it. He looks destined for greatness, and so far I haven't seen him play badly against any team.