Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It's a classy message, and he's taken the time to address points of contention, it's visible he cares about his relationship with them and his public perception. Don't understand the forced PR shite, it's easy to spot when something is written in a fashion that is designed to placate fans. This isn't it. It's great for French football that he's staying in Paris, however dubious the means of his player rights were acquired.
I agree. Completely understand Monaco fans though. Hard to think of an apt comparison but would be like if Rashford moved to City the summer after he broke through, though worse.

RooneyLegend

Ronaldo was chronically injured in fact. He'd already had surgery on his knee before he signed for barcelona iirc
I don't doubt he was chronically injured, i doubt that it was caused by overdeveloped quadriceps.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't doubt he was chronically injured, i doubt that it was caused by overdeveloped quadriceps.
It's all conjecture, but I'm leaning more towards steroids. He got massive after a year or so at PSV, by the time he got to Barcelona he was much bigger than when he first got to Europe. Such a frame with his speed and style of play is conducive to injuries to the knees, it's so much pressure. I think this is what made him both extraordinary and injury-riddled, the body can't handle this style of play with that frame for too long.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's all conjecture, but I'm leaning more towards steroids. He got massive after a year or so at PSV, by the time he got to Barcelona he was much bigger than when he first got to Europe. Such a frame with his speed and style of play is conducive to injuries to the knees, it's so much pressure. I think this is what made him both extraordinary and injury-riddled, the body can't handle this style of play with that frame for too long.
He has a well known thyroid problem.

RooneyLegend

Yeah very much doubt that, why would a freak athlete take steroids? btw the biggest change in his size imo was at Inter.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah very much doubt that, why would a freak athlete take steroids? btw the biggest change in his size imo was at Inter.
The same reason all the other freak athletes take some form of steroids or another, to get an edge. I'm no expert on the matter, especially thyroid problems, so I wonder if simply that could be the reason for such an increase in mass and muscle so quickly. I've often wondered the same with the Ronaldinho who got to Paris and the Ronaldinho who left for Barcelona barely two years later. We almost never hear of steroids in football because some think of it as a bodybuilder's supplement, but it has so many positives for any sports that I wouldn't be surprised that many of the top athletes who've gone through transformations like those two could have partaken.

criticalanalysis

Just had the ridiculous thought of him having an absolute stinker of a season and he returns to Monaco in the summer :lol:

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Well, tendons snap when tension is too high. Overdeveloped muscles generate too much force, and tendons can't take it. You can only be as strong as your whole body allows you to, not just the muscles, especially since football is known to put a lot of pressure on ligaments and tendons. We'll never know if Ronaldo's issues where genetic or due to improper body development. My guess is a bit of both.

RoyH1

Flowery crap. I doubt any Monaco fan will suddenly 'understand' his pov due to some forced PR. Words are easy, he left and justifiably so in my opinion and should just leave it at that saying thank you.
Agree. I would have had far more more respect for someone who was totally honest and wrote something along the lines of "A footballer's career is very short. In that time I have to be able to earn enough to take care of myself and my family for the rest of my life". I've read plenty of American sports athletes who flat out come and say it, and as angry as one can get at the beginning, one comes to understand that it's true.
Oh yeah, but right, Mbappe didn't go to PSG because of money, no..no.. it was because of "their project"

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Just had the ridiculous thought of him having an absolute stinker of a season and he returns to Monaco in the summer :lol:
He cannot. The way this deal is structured PSG have to buy him at the end of season for £166m, they don't have a choice. Monaco would not have given them Mbappe on loan for a season just for shits and giggles.

NoLogo

Flowery crap. I doubt any Monaco fan will suddenly 'understand' his pov due to some forced PR. Words are easy, he left and justifiably so in my opinion and should just leave it at that saying thank you.
Absolutely. It's their job no need to justify. Fans will hate and boo him anyways and it's understandable as well since they have a different view at football than the players. Players need to just accept that fact and not try to "mend" any wounds or some shit.

DannyDee

He cannot. The way this deal is structured PSG have to buy him at the end of season for £166m, they don't have a choice. Monaco would not have given them Mbappe on loan for a season just for shits and giggles.
There is supposedly an out for PSG getting relegated. But, the odds of that happening are minuscule.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Because PSG couldn't sign him straight away without breaching FFP

Look it's all very simple:
-Monaco aren't a rich club. Excluding player sales their revenue is probably inferior to the lowest PL club
-FFP counts for them too. If they don't sell players for massive profit, there's little money to spend. They had to go through the whole FFP friendly agreement because of the money they spent in 13/14
-Mbappé had 1 year left on his contract and refused Monaco's offer to renew
-Mbappé accepted PSG's offer and refused real madrid's, city's, and every other club, apparently barcelona included
-PSG were willing to pay €180m for him
-PSG could only do the deal in this way

Monaco's options were either accept PSG's offer and make €180m, or refuse and sell next year for..what, €60-80m, tops?
I'm glad you think that's simple. Hate to see what you think is "convoluted"

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Do you have anything to back this up?

Because it's 100% nonsense.

First up, he wasn't overly muscular. He was strong. There's a difference.

Secondly, you don't appear to have any idea as to what steroids do to a body.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Well, tendons snap when tension is too high. Overdeveloped muscles generate too much force, and tendons can't take it. You can only be as strong as your whole body allows you to, not just the muscles, especially since football is known to put a lot of pressure on ligaments and tendons. We'll never know if Ronaldo's issues where genetic or due to improper body development. My guess is a bit of both.
You don't know what you're talking about. Stop.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
I suggest you start reading a bit about the risks of having an unbalanced musculature in competitive sports. And how that can lead to numerous problems.

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Does anyone know his salary at PSG? I've seen so many different numbers and I don't know what to believe.

Hoof the ball

It's definitely an authentic sentiment in Mbappe's written response.

Firstly, Kylian often communicates in similar fashion to this. Whether he's giving a television interview, or writing a message, he comes across as eloquent. He's a smart man, he has a very mature head on his shoulders for his relative age, which is one of the main reasons why I believe he's going to continue this curve of improvement he's one. I like generally intelligent individual's as a football player; I feel that it transfers to some extent to the quality of their game and their choices.

Secondly, the sentiment he has towards the Monaco chairman is in line with what he's said about him a few times before.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Does anyone know his salary at PSG? I've seen so many different numbers and I don't know what to believe.
PSG wages are never public and reports for all players vary between sources. According to Al-Khelaifi during Mbappé's presentation it's less than some other clubs were offering. That could match the reported €10m increasing to €15m gross a year during the length of his contract but I still wouldn't bet on it.

Interestingly Mbappé said today that his first option was to stay one more year at Monaco but some events (that he didn't want to talk about during the presser) made him change his mind.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
What he's on about is actually pretty accurate. Bodybuilders get injured for similar reasons quite often. Torn pecs, torn biceps. And they don't lift that heavy nor have the intensive physical regimen footballers go through either.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Lads/ladettes enough of the Ronaldo super quad argument we are way off topic here!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It's definitely an authentic sentiment in Mbappe's written response.

Firstly, Kylian often communicates in similar fashion to this. Whether he's giving a television interview, or writing a message, he comes across as eloquent. He's a smart man, he has a very mature head on his shoulders for his relative age, which is one of the main reasons why I believe he's going to continue this curve of improvement he's one. I like generally intelligent individual's as a football player; I feel that it transfers to some extent to the quality of their game and their choices.

Secondly, the sentiment he has towards the Monaco chairman is in line with what he's said about him a few times before.
I fully agree

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Just got done watching his press conference, some of the highlights roughly translated:

Why Paris?

"It was important for me to go back to my city of birth, where I grew up. With a lot of work, respect, and humility we can attain our objectives and win a lot of trophies."

Which position do you prefer?

"If I had to answer today, it would be as a striker, but I have never had consecutive seasons at the same position and have played on the left and right as well. If you ask me next year, my answer might be different."

Where does Emery plan to use you?

"He said that I could play at different position in the offense, so he could have a certain rotation and I could play all three throughout the season."

Was this a difficult summer?

"Everything is going well, but there has been some difficult times getting there. I think we all know I'm referring to this transfer-filled summer but I was prepared and when you are prepared you get ready for the bad times as well, and there are moments when you are criticized and must be ready for that. It's football."

What status will you have in the PSG locker?

"Maybe I'm in a particular status but I'm coming into a new locker with the smallest resume so you still have to make yourself small and start with learning."

Hoof the ball

Just got done watching his press conference, some of the highlights roughly translated:

Why Paris?

"It was important for me to go back to my city of birth, where I grew up. With a lot of work, respect, and humility we can attain our objectives and win a lot of trophies."

Which position do you prefer?

"If I had to answer today, it would be as a striker, but I have never had consecutive seasons at the same position and have played on the left and right as well. If you ask me next year, my answer might be different."

Where does Emery plan to use you?

"He said that I could play at different position in the offense, so he could have a certain rotation and I could play all three throughout the season."

Was this a difficult summer?

"Everything is going well, but there has been some difficult times getting there. I think we all know I'm referring to this transfer-filled summer but I was prepared and when you are prepared you get ready for the bad times as well, and there are moments when you are criticized and must be ready for that. It's football."

What status will you have in the PSG locker?

"Maybe I'm in a particular status but I'm coming into a new locker with the smallest resume so you still have to make yourself small and start with learning."
That's why I like Mbappe so much. Of all the young would-be superstars of this generation, rarely have I seen that kind of language, as in the above. I love his humility.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why Mbappé chose to join Paris instead of staying in Monaco.
At the beginning of the summer Mbappé wanted to stay at Monaco but instead of offering a contract extension the club started negociating a sale to Madrid behind his back. If Monaco prefered to cash in Kylian wanted to chose his destination and it was PSG.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why Mbappé chose to join Paris instead of staying in Monaco.
At the beginning of the summer Mbappé wanted to stay at Monaco but instead of offering a contract extension the club started negociating a sale to Madrid behind his back. If Monaco prefered to cash in Kylian wanted to chose his destination and it was PSG.
It's an interesting twist. Can't say I blame Monaco for wanting to cash in, but their side is denying this story and claiming they were looking for an extension but Mbappe's team was looking for more money than they were willing to pay. Who knows what's true at this point? All I can say is I would have tried to cash in as well if I was Monaco. As good as Dortmund's deal was buying Dembele for 15M and selling him for over 100M a season later, Monaco did them one better with a kid that played 6 months for them and cost them peanuts for the second most expensive transfer ever. Barring an amazing season/world-cup, I couldn't see how his value wouldn't go down.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's an interesting twist. Can't say I blame Monaco for wanting to cash in, but their side is denying this story and claiming they were looking for an extension but Mbappe's team was looking for more money than they were willing to pay. Who knows what's true at this point? All I can say is I would have tried to cash in as well if I was Monaco. As good as Dortmund's deal was buying Dembele for 15M and selling him for over 100M a season later, Monaco did them one better with a kid that played 6 months for them and cost them peanuts for the second most expensive transfer ever. Barring an amazing season/world-cup, I couldn't see how his value wouldn't go down.
I agree it made sense for Monaco to sell this year considering the amount offered, even more than with Martial the last time since they had time to search for a replacement.

The SFR/Mbappé version of the events make more sense to me unless the whole Mbappé family moving in Monaco early in the summer was just a ruse to try and look better when Kylian is transfered away.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I agree it made sense for Monaco to sell this year considering the amount offered, even more than with Martial the last time since they had time to search for a replacement.

The SFR/Mbappé version of the events make more sense to me unless the whole Mbappé family moving in Monaco early in the summer was just a ruse to try and look better when Kylian is transfered away.
That's a good point, I forgot about that. His brother had been in Paris all this time and he finally moves to Monaco and now Kylian is going back to Paris. I doubt it's a ruse, just bad timing. Maybe I'm naive, but I just think Kylian is a pretty genuine kid, I don't see him or his family doing something like that.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Haha Cavani is a fantastic player, I do rate him highly. His movement and positioning is world class, but I don't think anyone can deny he misses quite a few chances
His movement and positioning is only bettered by Ronaldo I think currently, insanely good. But yes he misses a lot of chances.

Last year or the year before against Arsenal, so many chances, some created for hinself but I think just one goal.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Please could you explain :D Curious to discover your theory!
I lived in and around Paris for a number of years, seemed like everyone I met was a pot smoking pseudo intellectual metrosexual knowitall.

Not necessarily in a bad way.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I lived in and around Paris for a number of years, seemed like everyone I met was a pot smoking pseudo intellectual metrosexual knowitall.

Not necessarily in a bad way.
I understand what you mean. Yeah, a lot of self-important people.

Let's say you have met a lot of "bobos", which could be explained by your place of residence in Paris and your activity there.

The social conformity within your social network are mainly explained by two factors: spatial segregation + reproduction of the elites.

Also, Paris is a city relatively small compared to the other capital cities, which limits the diversity. I lived there but now prefer to live in its suburb.