g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kylian Mbappe | PSG

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah. La Liga is a lot stronger than Premier League and N'Zonzi who was a solid player at Stoke has become a great player at Sevilla.
Without even involving La Liga, Payet was more rated in PL than he has every been in Ligue 1, same with Fuchs and the Bundesliga. When a player moves, he doesn't bring his team, manager and league with him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So you're completely ignoring Mbappe in the Champions League then? He's scored 6 goals in the Champions League at just 18. Only one other player has done that. He also broke Juventus' run of 690 minutes without conceding.
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Kostur

海尔的老板
Mbappe is seriously overrated. He has half a good season in the French league. £165 million for potential is crazy. He has barely done any better than Rashford at the start of his career with the United senior team. He scored two on his debut. Two against Arsenal, two against City. Scored on his England debut. So he proved himself against good teams. Mbappe wouldn't have been so hyped if he was in the Premier League. He wouldn't have looked as good as he has in France.
Mbappe scored 2 against City, 3 against BVB, 1 against Juve when most of the Monaco team looked just poor.

Silver

It's also worth pointing out that Rooney scored just 1 goal in his next 10 Champions League starts...encompassing two full seasons.
Why is that worth pointing out in this context? We're not discussing his record or history in the CL here. That's another discussion for another thread.

Of course, you can't rely solely on a 18/19 year old to propel you forward in the CL...but then that's why casually dismissing Mbappe's record is a bit silly.
Firstly, no one is saying that Mbappe should have taken on the responsibility of Monaco's CL progress and neither is anyone casually dismissing his record in any way. This is about justifying his transfer fee in comparison to Rooney's at the same age. Yes Mbappe's scored against these 4 clubs in the CL. So that automatically means he's worth this huge sum? He might have scored against these clubs in the CL but his domestic record isn't that great considering majority of the teams in the French League are far inferior to these CL teams.

Let's not turn this discussion in to something else. The fact is that his transfer fee is ridiculous and unjustified even in comparison to teenage Rooney whose fee wasn't even in the same level as this amount. The players who have commanded this sort of fee have been far more accomplished than Mbappe. This is not an indictment on his abilities. The same people who complained about Pogba being overpriced are trying to defend this fee. Where's the logic?

RooneyLegend

Not seeing how any can argue against his value, he's a monster, not much more has to be seen of him. There are certain players that come on the scene and dominate. Forget his age, he had the defences against some stern competition really shaking in their boots. He's about as much a sure deal we've seen in football since Neymar was a youngster. Barring injuries, he'll easily be worth the money. You could either have him or Sterling, Stones, Danilo and Mangala. I know what i'd take.

Mickfoley

Still think we're the second best behind Madrid. Mbappe still has a long way to go so I just see Neymar as true world class player in their squad. Their squad ain't any special. We have a great squad on top of that we've Mourinho. We saw last season the Mourinho effect with a much weaker side in Europe.
Mourinho in CL is a scary prospect for any team in Europe.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No montage of his 16/17 season posted yet?

Oooh_aaah_cantona

Wow, you're throwing out some major revisionism about Rooney's career just to legitimize this transfer. Either you have no idea or you're desperate to prove a point.

Firstly, Rooney was a first team player in both his seasons at Everton. He made over 30 appearances in each season at Everton When United bought him, he had two solid seasons behind him. And then again, you're going back to goals - Rooney was playing for a midtable team in the English Premier League. Mbappe was playing for the French Champions in a far inferior league.

Again with this revisionism. We bought Rooney in August 2004. AFTER the 2004 Euros where he was a standout performer. And yes he hadn't played CL but that's because he was in a team that wasn't good enough. Lest we forget his first CL game where he scored a hattrick. Mbappe has CL in his favor... so do a lot of players.

Actually if you're comparing Mbappe to young players in other leagues then it's not a different topic. The strength of the French league is weak. Far weaker than the English league so if you can't justify the successes of a player in the two leagues on the same level.

Mbappe is a good young player but why this need to twist facts just to try and justify this ridiculous fee? The fact is that Rooney was a far more established player in a far more challenging league at the time of his big money transfer. Mbappe was not. Let's see how it plays out but frankly he can only legitimize his talent in the CL while he's playing in the French League.
Sorry, you are right, some wrong facts from memory that I just checked. But to say Rooney was much more established is still not correct in my view.

Rooney had two seasons with a mid-table team, scoring 15 goals in total. Mbappe had a standout season with the league winners, and champions league run.

You said many players had champions league like mbappe at 18. Please show me a few examples.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Mbappe is seriously overrated. He has half a good season in the French league. £165 million for potential is crazy. He has barely done any better than Rashford at the start of his career with the United senior team. He scored two on his debut. Two against Arsenal, two against City. Scored on his England debut. So he proved himself against good teams. Mbappe wouldn't have been so hyped if he was in the Premier League. He wouldn't have looked as good as he has in France.
Mbappe scored 3 vs City, 2 vs Dortmund, 1 vs Juve, etc. in big Champions League games so he hasn't just done it in France. It's so obvious how good he is and it's not just a very good half season either. City bid 40 million for him last summer for a reason.

AR87

He's an amazing talent and seems destined to be a world class attacker, but the money paid for him still seems crazy, even in this new transfer market. His fee is nearly double Pogba's just for some comparison. I think Neymar's fee is normalizing the amount paid for Mbappe, but even in a post-Neymar market I believe PSG paid an exorbitant amount for Mbappe. More power to them for being able to and not having to worry about it.

ReallyUSA

Still think we're the second best behind Madrid. Mbappe still has a long way to go so I just see Neymar as true world class player in their squad. Their squad ain't any special. We have a great squad on top of that we've Mourinho. We saw last season the Mourinho effect with a much weaker side in Europe.
Mourinho in CL is a scary prospect for any team in Europe.
Gotta take the red tinted glasses of bud.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why is that worth pointing out in this context? We're not discussing his record or history in the CL here. That's another discussion for another thread.

Firstly, no one is saying that Mbappe should have taken on the responsibility of Monaco's CL progress and neither is anyone casually dismissing his record in any way. This is about justifying his transfer fee in comparison to Rooney's at the same age. Yes Mbappe's scored against these 4 clubs in the CL. So that automatically means he's worth this huge sum? He might have scored against these clubs in the CL but his domestic record isn't that great considering majority of the teams in the French League are far inferior to these CL teams.

Let's not turn this discussion in to something else. The fact is that his transfer fee is ridiculous and unjustified even in comparison to teenage Rooney whose fee wasn't even in the same level as this amount. The players who have commanded this sort of fee have been far more accomplished than Mbappe. This is not an indictment on his abilities. The same people who complained about Pogba being overpriced are trying to defend this fee. Where's the logic?
I don't care about his transfer fee. What I was replying to is the general idea that Mbappe hasn't done anything special. Just a "good young player". He isn't. His record in last season's knockout stages of the CL is comparable with elite forwards at their peak. Since the round of 16 was established in 03-04, here's a list of the players who reached at least the semis and scored in every knockout stage:
  • 03/04 - none
  • 04/05 - none
  • 05/06 - none
  • 06/07 - none
  • 07/08 - Lampard and Torres
  • 08/09 - van Persie
  • 09/10 - Milito
  • 10/11 - Messi
  • 11/12 - Ronaldo and Robben
  • 12/13 - Ronaldo
  • 13/14 - Ronaldo
  • 14/15 - Lewandowski and Suárez
  • 15/15 - none
  • 16/17 - Mbappe
Messi is the 2nd youngest player on that list at 23, 5 1/2 years older than Mbappe. Rooney in his entire career never managed that (although he did close when he was at his peak in 10/11). What Mbappe did last season in the Champions League was special and he's a more special talent than Rooney, in my mind.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Exciting cameo last night vs the Netherlands. @kouroux @JPRouve @Ecstatic I understand that Giroud has been excellent for France lately, but do you see Mbappe taking his place in the starting XI by the time the World Cup begins? An Mbappe/Griezmann partnership seems ridiculously menacing to me.
No. Giroud is a Deschamps favorite and he pays that confidence with good performances.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
The problem is that France are terrible at defending set pieces. So on top of being good attacking wise Giroud is also valuable defensively which makes me think that he will be the starter as long as he performs well, unless Deschamps throws caution to the window and goes down the Total Football road which is a very dangerous road.
No. Giroud is a Deschamps favorite and he pays that confidence with good performances.
Cheers lads :).

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Like with Neymar, I genuinely can't understand what one of the most wanted players in the world wants to do in Ligue 1. He could've become a legend in the Bundesliga, Primera or PL. Instead he's going to play in a liga, that no one watches and where the only team of relevance will be his own. And if he then wants a move in two years time no one will be able to afford him.
And what was all that about FFP, btw:lol:

kouroux

Like with Neymar, I genuinely can't understand what one of the most wanted players in the world wants to do in Ligue 1. He could've become a legend in the Bundesliga, Primera or PL. Instead he's going to play in a liga, that no one watches and where the only team of relevance will be his own. And if he then wants a move in two years time no one will be able to afford him.
If rumors are to be believed, his priority was Real Madrid but none of the front 3 left and Real was unwilling to pay a ridiculous fee for him.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He can become a legend in his own country, why would he want to move abroad?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Because it's harder to become a world legend and even a French legend while staying in France?
As a world legend it may be partly true at the moment although the global appeal of PSG is quickly rising.

As a French legend it's completely false. Barely anyone in France gives a single feck about what the French players are doing abroad, they could be foreigners it wouldn't make much of a difference, only the performances for the national team really count. That's why Henry is more popular in England than France for example or Ben Arfa more of a fan favourite than Martial leading to the Euro 2016.

If Mbappé brought success to both PSG and the national team he could easily become the most popular French sportsman ever.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
PSG have as much chances to miss the title in France, as Celtic have to not finish 1st in Scotland.

RedCurry

As a world legend it may be partly true at the moment although the global appeal of PSG is quickly rising.

As a French legend it's completely false. Barely anyone in France gives a single feck about what the French players are doing abroad, they could be foreigners it wouldn't make much of a difference, only the performances for the national team really count. That's why Henry is more popular in England than France for example or Ben Arfa more of a fan favourite than Martial leading to the Euro 2016.

If Mbappé brought success to both PSG and the national team he could easily become the most popular French sportsman ever.
Then playing for PSG also has no affect on his legend status in France. Could've just continued to play at Monaco.

Borat Sagdiyev

The buyback 'option' is bullshit -- they're not getting relegated and are just looking for extra time to pull together some shady sponsorship to 'comply' with FFP. Of course UEFA should crack down on this, but something tells me PSG will somehow ¢onvin¢£ them to look the other way.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Then playing for PSG also has no affect on his legend status in France. Could've just continued to play at Monaco.
Monaco isn't France. :wenger:

Seriously he could but Monaco doesn't have the same ambition to win everything and to keep their players long term. They also aren't anywhere close to the popularity of PSG both in France and abroad.

RedCurry

Monaco isn't France. :wenger:

Seriously he could but Monaco doesn't have the same ambition to win everything and to keep their players long term. They also aren't anywhere close to the popularity of PSG both in France and abroad.
I mean, only the performances for the national team really count. As long as he does well in the national team, he will be considered French legend. So it shouldn't matter whether he joins PSG. He could win a few more Ligue 1 titles though, which is something I guess. Although had he joined Madrid, he would quite likely win the La Liga a fair few times as well.

In order to expand his popularity around the world though, he'd definitely have to win CL with PSG and even that wouldn't guarantee it. It even boggles my mind but some fans here are already saying fecking Asensio is better player than Mbappe which is just a by-product of him playing for Madrid.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
So what held him back to start for Monaco in their first few matches? Did he choose not to play or Monaco refused to play him? Some PR words won't convince me that the kid is mentally 'on the right path'. By all means he is a truly exceptional talent.
Despite appearances, Monaco did want to sell him from the beginning, mainly because he didn't want to renew his contract.

If he plays, the risk of being injured exists, which could endanger a transfer

IMO Monaco did want to present him as a "bad boy" to make the fans understand a move.

At the end, Monaco wishes all the best for him on Twitter.

Regarding his mindset, he has a healthy spirit like Trezeguet, Henry for example. On the contrary, players like Anelka/Benzema/Menez/Ben Arfa were very talented at a young age but let's say their personalities are "complex" (big ego, complacency...)

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Exciting cameo last night vs the Netherlands. @kouroux @JPRouve @Ecstatic I understand that Giroud has been excellent for France lately, but do you see Mbappe taking his place in the starting XI by the time the World Cup begins? An Mbappe/Griezmann partnership seems ridiculously menacing to me.
Sure, M'Bappé will hopefully take the lead before the end of the season. :) It might take several months because French coaches tend to be cautious with players under 20.

The Netherlands has completely lost their football :(

kouroux

Despite appearances, Monaco did want to sell him from the beginning, mainly because he did want to renew his contract.

If he plays, the risk of being injured exists, which could endanger a transfer

IMO Monaco did want to present him as a "bad boy" to make the fans understand a move.

At the end, Monaco wishes all the best for him on Twitter.

Regarding his mindset, he has a healthy spirit like Trezeguet, Henry for example. On the contrary, players like Anelka/Benzema/Menez/Ben Arfa were very talented at a young age but let's say their personalities are "complex" (big ego, complacency...)
You've forgotten "stupidity" for a lot of them.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Sure, M'Bappé will hopefully take the lead before the end of the season. :) It might take several months because French coaches tend to be cautious with players under 20.

The Netherlands has completely lost their football :(
As a neutral I hope he does force his way into the first XI. If Deschamps could mould some sort of coherent setup with Mbappe, Griezmann and some combination of Dembele/Coman/Martial/Lemar etc it could be incredible to watch.

Aye, it's a depressingly bleak Dutch team at the minute. Hopefully its just a lull and they start producing attacking talent again, as they look horribly over-reliant on Robben still.

Oooh_aaah_cantona

We bought him straight after he lit the Euros up in 2004.
I believe the deal was agreed mid-season when we met Everton according to Sir Alex.

I guess the point is, usually such talented players are scouted heavily, especially domestically, before they made their first season (for example Sir Alex claimed they made approaches for Rooney since he was 14) and I'm sure PSG are not buying him just on the back of one season of football.

Marat

Just one thing to underline about him -> He has a great maturity. The way he talks and thinks in front of a camera is really striking. His parents are not like Neymar's. They want to build the best project for his career without thinking about money in first place. By the way, his little brother is better than him at the same age according to those who follow the boy.

RedStarUnited

Just one thing to underline about him -> He has a great maturity. The way he talks and thinks in front of a camera is really striking. His parents are not like Neymar's. They want to build the best project for his career without thinking about money in first place. By the way, his little brother is better than him at the same age according to those who follow the boy.
Neymars parents got him to Barcelona, won a few titles and a CL and now he is at a club where if he wins the CL, he is gonna be a legend forever. All that whilst earning a lot of money, win-win.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Mbappe scored 2 against City, 3 against BVB, 1 against Juve when most of the Monaco team looked just poor.
Sorry I didn't reply I used my 5 posts for the day.

I am not saying Rashford is better I am saying that there isn't much difference between the two. Mbappe is 1 year younger fair enough. But do you think Rashford would sell for even close to £100m never mind £135m.

Also yes he scored against City and Dortmund but let's look at the facts of them games. 1 of his goals against Cuty was a simple tap in. Dortmund the first goal was a tap in but not just that, it bobbled off his thigh and it was lucky to have went in. The second against Dortmund was a simple one on one from a misplaced backpass to the keeper.

It wasn't as if the goals were made by him and were unbelievable. They were easier to take than Rashfords goal against Ciry (on his derby debut) he skinned Demichelis with a brilliant goal.

All I am saying it that Mbappe isn't as good as made out yet. He is far from the finished article and £135 for potential is crazy.

Kapardin

Mbappe is not yet as good as the hype, but I'd put him on a level above Gabriel Jesus, which in my estimation is very good. Definitely got a higher ceiling than Rashford, no comparison. But its' still too early to say if he will realize that potential.