Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Mindhunter

Also, does anyone think he was a bit too individualistic last night? Didn't seem to pass it enough and play in tandem with others such as Neymar.
Of course he was looking for glory himself. In fact, that's a problem with their entire squad to be honest - too busy trying to be the savior instead of playing like a team. Neymar didn't even try till it was too late. Di Maria again went for glory himself instead of feeding others in a better position.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He is rapid but still a vapid performance from him last night.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He needs to add other threats to his game as a forward, his play is very similar to what it was 2/3 years ago.

He likes to play in space and he's already probably the scariest off the ball forward in football. He might have some technical limiations on the ball if you compare him to the absolute best in that regard but he doesn't need anything more there either. Needs to start being a threat in the air, scoring from long range/free kicks, improve his pressing game, hold up the ball better, be more threatening 1v1 against the fullbacks, etc.

Would be very disappointing if in 3/4 years he was still the same player he is today and I'm starting to fear that might happen

RedCurry

So poor today. You expect at least a couple of class moments in games like these from players who are touted as world class.

E-mal

I hope people can see that even the so called elite forwards can miss easy chances when they were trying to crucify Martial's misses VS Seville

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Disappointing yesterday, should've done better with his chance the fist half, and overall i think he didnt preform to his level.

Skeezix

His performance was exactly the same as it was against us last year. He dribbles past players but fumbles or makes a tame a shot when needed, like last year!

King of the Big game bottlers? Not yet, that crown still belongs to Lukaku. Mbappe still has time on his side.

Squeaky Bumtime

Typical performance of a 21 year old. I mean he's a fantastic player but every once in a while he'll have games like this. One game doesnt make him any worse.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His performance was exactly the same as it was against us last year. He dribbles past players but fumbles or makes a tame a shot when needed, like last year!

King of the Big game bottlers? Not yet, that crown still belongs to Lukaku. Mbappe still has time on his side.
Haha cmon, he has scored in a WC final, and most UCL knockouts rounds with Monaco. He is nowhere near being a big game bottler

RoyH1

Not his best game yesterday but I think the critics are taking it a tad too far. Don't forget he's still only 21 and is coming from a big injury. Massive talent.
He might need to go to another league to challenge himself more.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A blessing in disguise for next season.

I just hope he will take now the time to recover from his last injury, rest and see how he can further enrich his game.

This loss will make him mentally stronger for sure.

Last edited:

If someone doesn’t score, or if a team doesn’t win it doesn’t automatically mean they are bottlers. Such an overused term on here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Typical performance of a 21 year old. I mean he's a fantastic player but every once in a while he'll have games like this. One game doesnt make him any worse.
Tell that to the Rashford/Martial threads. They expect every shot on target to be a goal and a good striker to never miss a chance.

Did you see the video of how many clear chances Lewandowski has missed this season? He's scored over 50 goals yet it should probably be 70. It just shows though a team like Bayern create so many in a game it doesn't matter.

He needs to add other threats to his game as a forward, his play is very similar to what it was 2/3 years ago.

He likes to play in space and he's already probably the scariest off the ball forward in football. He might have some technical limiations on the ball if you compare him to the absolute best in that regard but he doesn't need anything more there either. Needs to start being a threat in the air, scoring from long range/free kicks, improve his pressing game, hold up the ball better, be more threatening 1v1 against the fullbacks, etc.

Would be very disappointing if in 3/4 years he was still the same player he is today and I'm starting to fear that might happen
That's France for you. He is still the same player he was at Monaco and in Russia. Hes so dominant in Ligue 1 it is making him think he doesnt need to improve, and in that league he doesnt. Hes lost 2 or 3 critical years of development. Every year he spends there is a year wasted and at his age he cant afford to lose many more if he wants to live up to his potential.

Falcow

Played OK and was unlucky not to score.

People have unrealistic expectations of footballers.
Agree with this. Also he is still only 21.

However I wouldn't swap him for Greenwood if given the chance. I think Mason will end up scoring more goals than him.

Squeaky Bumtime

Tell that to the Rashford/Martial threads. They expect every shot on target to be a goal and a good striker to never miss a chance.

Did you see the video of how many clear chances Lewandowski has missed this season? He's scored over 50 goals yet it should probably be 70. It just shows though a team like Bayern create so many in a game it doesn't matter.
Ridiculous stuff. One chance missed or a bad game and you're crap.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Better yet if Martial/Rashford put a quiet performance like Lewandowski did in that final, they'd get crucified on these boards for weeks until they redeem themselves in the next game. And we're talking about an honorary ballon d'or in Lewandowski here.

Just goes to show how loads of posters on these boards are detached from reality and have unfair and unrealistic expectations about our players to the point that any mistake from them incurs this forum's wrath upon them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
PSG set-up was abit weird last night. They seemed to have 2 wide options in Mbappe and Di Maria with Neymar floating yet no central figure.
Comfortable for Bayern in the end.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Better yet if Martial/Rashford put a quiet performance like Lewandowski did in that final, they'd get crucified on these boards for weeks until they redeem themselves in the next game. And we're talking about an honorary ballon d'or in Lewandowski here.

Just goes to show how loads of posters on these boards are detached from reality and have unfair and unrealistic expectations about our players to the point that any mistake from them incurs this forum's wrath upon them.
Honestly I think it comes from a lot of posters only watching United. They aren't actually that interested in football but follow United for whatever reason.

they watch MOTD or highlights from other clubs and see players scoring lots of goals but don't actually see the 90 minute plays. Every footballer in the world has days like this, only really Ronaldo/Messi reached a level of 8/10 every match.

LiquidSnake

He is rated far higher outside of France than inside of it at least that's what it seems to me.
In France you won't ever hear of anyone comparing him to Neymar or putting him on a similar level.
He's still a terrific player, best off the ball attacker in the world to me, the pace and the movement as well as the ability to time his runs make him a threat at all time and guarantee him several chances per game.
However I don't think that he is the most dangerous player with the ball at his feet, still very competent of course but he's not deserving of these R9 comparisons, his first touch,dribbling and close control are nowhere near R9's.
I totally concur with what you say. I might add IMHO that he's more about pace than movement/intelligence (even tough the movement part is still there but less) since he's in PSG.
I remember his season at Monaco, he seemed to me more intelligent with his off ball movement and runs (tools and ability are still there).
Always felt like being around Neymar and being a 180 millions signing he started wanting to shine more rather than being just absolutely lethal/clinical.

Also as you said, the R9 comparisons always have been laughable. He's not technically not at the level of Benzema (which is probably the best among elite strikers but still not Messi/R9), and will probably never will be.

I think if he exploits his potential, he can be a prime Eto'o. Quick smart pass in small areas, no non sense approach around the box, intelligent runs and an appetite for goal, capable of scoring all types of goal.

For a young player praised for his maturity (IMHO more a public persona stuff because he got a diploma and isn't dumb as rock his football peers of his age), if anything to me his game screams to me he misses experience and "maturity". And that's normal he's only 21.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Agreed. He should become a bit more unpredictable and train on extra skills such as long-range shooting.

The likes of Messi and Ronaldo (especially Ronaldo) were always able to get the job done outside the box with a top corner screamer or freekick. Sometimes you just can't get the necessary space inside the box.

El Jefe

The caf has become a joke recently. Neymar, Mbappe, Griezmann, Sterling and Hazard are all called overrated :lol: I wonder who is actually good then?

If PSG won yesterday and Lewandowski missed an open goal no doubt people would be calling him overrated too.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Bale is still a better player than him.

Maybe not true in a year or two, but for now, Bale is a better player than him.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Bale is still a better player than him.

Maybe not true in a year or two, but for now, Bale is a better player than him.
Bale hasn't been playing football for a while now... Stealing a living from RM while playing golf.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Played OK and was unlucky not to score.

People have unrealistic expectations of footballers.
He played ok but was not unlucky not to score. Look at the chances he missed, they were poor shots.

Dan_F

Well it’s good to know it’s not just young United players that people on here will slaughter after a couple of missed chances.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Exactly my thoughts. That's what I meant with "he already hit his ceiling" since I think his technical shortcomings limit him a bit at the highest level. His movement is still great and usually his finishing is, too. Had the feeling the occasion was a little big for him last night.

Also, Bayern showed how important it is to dominate the midfield. They didn't get Neymar and Mbappe in position enough. So many times they tried to dribble past multiple opponents at the sideline where there was nothing to win anyway.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I just think the caf suffers from recent history syndrome.

Im sure if you go back through the thread after one of his better games he was probably ranked better than Kane and Aguero. He may have a higher ceiling, but he certainly is not there yet.