Kylian Mbappe | PSG

MalcolmTucker

Yes. Yes I have. I guess PSG and France kept this incredible 9 out wide for shits and giggles right?
Gotta squeeze Giroud in there somewhere.
I'm not discussing what his best position is but to say he doesn't make runs across defenders is completely wrong.

cyberman

Sancho was ready, he was 17 when he left City. Pep thought he wasn't ready and also it's not like he will play him head of Sane and Sterling at that time.

He hates KdB long probing passes? Rest of the post is all a good creative story which I don't have any interest to take part in.

Thats why I replied about only Sancho part. He left as a 17 year old, which has nothing to do with not suiting Pep's style.
Sancho was ready to play. He shown that when he left. Good enough to be a constant starter? No, but players arent born at 22 and he was at the stage where he should have been brought on.
Nothing creative about my post, just parphrasing City fans on here.
Pep doesnt like individualism. He would not touch Mbappe with a barge pole. Hell he has no drsire to bring Sancho back and they have first refusal.

cyberman

I'm not discussing what his best position is but to say he doesn't make runs across defenders is completely wrong.
He doesnt, not as a 9. Did you see him do it last Saturday? Win many headers with in to out runs? Get across defenders to get to the ball first? Hold the ball up to bring the team forward when Bayern took control in the second half?
We have seen with Martial and his criticisms that its an entirely different world as a 9. Martial got shit on here when he performed like that v Bayern.
Mbappes chances game from drifting wide with ball to feet or being behind the play for cutbacks. Theres a lot of work to be done there.

Pep's Suit

Back in 2016 Mbappe was Pep's plan A and Sane plan B so he would deffo sign him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sancho was ready to play. He shown that when he left. Good enough to be a constant starter? No, but players arent born at 22 and he was at the stage where he should have been brought on.
Nothing creative about my post, just parphrasing City fans on here.
Pep doesnt like individualism. He would not touch Mbappe with a barge pole. Hell he has no drsire to bring Sancho back and they have first refusal.
He had contract issue, that's why he wasn't on plane for preseason. He missed training and then finally left.

He wouldn't touch Mbappe with barge pole? FFS City made 40 million bid when Mbappe didn't even make his debut.

First refusal means nothing, it's useless clause. It's not buy back clause. Also he won't bring Sancho as they didn't leave on good terms. Nothing to do with individualism.

Oh your post was full of creative writing, coming up with Pep don't like KdB's long and probing passes, Sancho didn't suit Pep's way of playing when he was just 17 when he left (he was 16 btw during season and turned 17 in march), completely ignoring Sancho refused to sign contract which means City had to sell so they didn't take him to preseason and then Sancho missed training to push for transfer. You somehow twisted not playing a 16 year old Sancho into "Pep won't trust Sancho". He tuned 17 and within few months he left.

Also coming up with laughable reasons to justify why Pep won't play Mbappe when Pep and City tried to sign him before he played for Monaco first team.

cyberman

He had contract issue, that's why he wasn't on plane for preseason. He missed training and then finally left.

He wouldn't touch Mbappe with barge pole? FFS City made 40 million bid when Mbappe didn't even make his debut.

First refusal means nothing, it's useless clause. It's not buy back clause. Also he won't bring Sancho as they didn't leave on good terms. Nothing to do with individualism.

Oh your post was full of creative writing, coming up with Pep don't like KdB's long and probing passes, Sancho didn't suit Pep's way of playing when he was just 17 when he left, completely ignoring Sancho refused to sign contract which means City had to sell so they didn't take him to preseason and then Sancho missed training to push for transfer.

Also coming up with laughable reasons to justify why Pep won't play Mbappe when Pep and City tried to sign him before he played for Monaco first team.
It wasnt creative, I picked it up from @padr81 posts on here and looked into it myself there after and it seems to be a commonly held narrative within their fanbase. Its why you see KDB out wide more since losing it fron there will cause less problems.
I dont know why you keep calling it creative, just because you arent informed enough doesnt make it creative.
Im sure Pep tried to sign him for city in 2015 when he was at Bayern.
Thats some impressive creative writing there buddy.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
It wasnt creative, I picked it up from @padr81 posts on here and looked into it myself there after and it seems to be a commonly held narrative within their fanbase. Its why you see KDB out wide more since losing it fron there will cause less problems.
I dont know why you keep calling it creative, just because you arent informed enough doesnt make it creative.
No, he moves out wide just like he moves centrally. If Pep didn't like him he would have moved him on insted of playing him almost every game for 4 years.

Of course it's creative when you came up with "Sancho didn't suit Pep's way of playing, that's why he was sold" completely ignoring Sancho was 16 during the season and turned 17 in march (Also completely ignoring Sancho's contract issues, which was the reason why he was left out of preseason training, which pissed off Sancho and then he went AWOL) , also coming up with various reason why Pep won't sign one of the best attackers in the world when he tried to sign him before the player even made his debut for 40 million.

cyberman

No, he moves out wide just like he moves centrally. If Pep didn't like him he would have moved him on insted of playing him almost every game for 4 years.

Of course it's creative when you came up with "Sancho didn't suit Pep's way of playing, that's why he was sold" completely ignoring Sancho was 16 during the season and turned 17 in march (Also completely ignoring Sancho's contract issues, which was the reason why he was left out of preseason training, which pissed off Sancho and then he went AWOL) , also coming up with various reason why Pep won't sign one of the best attackers in the world when he tried to sign him before the player even made his debut for 40 million.
I edited my post but Mbappe made his debut in 2015 for Monaco, I have no idea where youre getting this from. Maybe its your creative side coming out.
In fact Pep has said Mbappe will never play for City, he will not swap someone like Sterling to bring him in.
KDB plays wider than he ever did for City. Its why his crossing was suddenly praised because he never got into those position to consistently cross before.
Its an easy trend to follow

roonster09

Scout
I edited my post but Mbappe made his debut in 2015 for Monaco, I have no idea where youre getting this from. Maybe its your creative side coming out.
In fact Pep has said Mbappe will never play for City, he will not swap someone like Sterling to bring him in.
KDB plays wider than he ever did for City. Its why his crossing was suddenly praised because he never got into those position to consistently cross before.
Its an easy trend to follow
Yeah I was expecting Pep to say "I will swap Sterling in a heat beat" and also "what a shit CB stones is". Mbappe wouldn't play for City as PSG won't sell him for any price when he has years left on his contract.

Yeah I got Mbappe debut wrong but that won't change the fact that City made 40 million bid in Pep's first season.

KdB crossing was suddenly praised? :lol: His crossing was praised for years now. He always drifted wide just like he did this year.

Also this is what he said

Manchester City aren't going to spend the money that Mbappe deserves, or that PSG deserves. PSG are not going to sell this kind of player to any other club in the world in the next years, I guess.

"Mbappe is not going to come here, we are not going to swap Raheem or another top player that we have. People should be more respectful of PSG and respectful of Manchester City."
Did you expect him to come up with "Yeah I would sell Sterling to sign Mbappe"? especially for a player they don't have much chance of signing.

Wonder what was Pep thinking

The 18-year-old said he had met Guardiola after the end of last season to discuss a potential move to England, and had enjoyed their chat.

"He's a coach who lives and breathes football," he said. "He has won everywhere and he transmits his passion, he really gives you a desire to play, to just think about the game, because he only talks about the game. He doesn't talk at all about what happens around it.

"Coach Emery also talks a lot about the game. I love coaches who only talk about the game, because that is what interests us. Those two coaches have a passion for football that goes above and beyond their profession. It's good to work with people like that.

"When I saw him, we talked tactical setups, the way in which he would use me. We talked more about that than my qualities, because I know myself better than anyone. Even Guardiola can't tell me what I already know. I didn't say 'no' to Guardiola, I said 'no' to Manchester City."

"When I finished the season in May, I was staying," Mbappe said. "There was nothing else in my head. When I met the coaches [like Guardiola], I said to them -- and they can confirm it -- my priority was Monaco. And if Monaco did what was required, I would stay. There was no question of going elsewhere. After that, things happened that changed my position."

Idxomer

Sancho wasn't even ready to start for Dortmund when he left, also so many bad takes regarding Mbappe the last few pages.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Am I really reading correctly? Some people are saying Mbappe doesn't make runs a striker should make?

He's the best player in the world at making runs. In fact he is a far more dangerous player OFF the ball than ON IT because he's not an exceptional dribbler nor is he a creative force like Neymar.

Off the ball however there are very few defenders who can manage to keep him on check for an entire game, he's faster than the vast majority of them and even those who can keep up would need to anticipate his runs to not give him a headstart.

The reason he scores so much is precisely because It's nearly impossible to stop him into getting into these 1v1 positions because he will attack space with a pace no one can handle and PSG has the perfect service for him in the form of Neymar and Di Maria

Mbappe is the best spearhead you could ask for in an attack. He's not the heart of the team and needs someone to run the game behind him which Neymar and Di Maria do but there's no other player who consistently guarantees you goalscoring chances like Mbappe does

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ffs.

Zidane was 24 when he left Bordeaux. Thierry Henry was still playing for Monaco at Mbappe's age, Ronaldinho had only just transferred to ligue 1 at his age, Suarez had only just arrived at Ajax at that age (where he would spend four more seasons), Neymar was still playing for Santos at that age, Romario hadn't even left vasco da gama for psv (where he would play for five seasons) at that age, Maradona was playing for boca juniors at that age, Shevchenko played for dinamo kiyev at that age.

This notion that if you aren't playing for the biggest possible club in the biggest league at 19,then you are wasting your career is plain hysteria.
None of them were compared to R9 as a teenager though, Mbappe at Monaco was better than all of the above at the same age.

Idxomer

Am I really reading correctly? Some people are saying Mbappe doesn't make runs a striker should make?

He's the best player in the world at making runs. In fact he is a far more dangerous player OFF the ball than ON IT because he's not an exceptional dribbler nor is he a creative force like Neymar.

Off the ball however there are very few defenders who can manage to keep him on check for an entire game, he's faster than the vast majority of them and even those who can keep up would need to anticipate his runs to not give him a headstart.

The reason he scores so much is precisely because It's nearly impossible to stop him into getting into these 1v1 positions because he will attack space with a pace no one can handle and PSG has the perfect service for him in the form of Neymar and Di Maria

Mbappe is the best spearhead you could ask for in an attack. He's not the heart of the team and needs someone to run the game behind him which Neymar and Di Maria do but there's no other player who consistently guarantees you goalscoring chances like Mbappe does
I mean France's attacking plan in the world cup relied heavily on him making those runs and even when he wasn't at his best in the CL final, his runs and off the ball movement were top class.

roonster09

Scout

Yeah, it's weird to criticize his off the ball movement. Even at Monaco he was so deadly with all the runs and his pace.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Meant more as a player+person than just numbers when he plays in L1.
Did I not mentioned the number of goals he scored in CL too?

Sure he should be expected more than that as he is 21 now, not scoring winning goal in CL final and not having performance worthy of POTM is totally unforgivable.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

On point. There are lots of players with great off the ball movement but a few qre so good at it that it's almost eye catching. For me those are Mbappe, Cridtiano, Haaland, Müller and Sterling.

Ffs.

Zidane was 24 when he left Bordeaux. Thierry Henry was still playing for Monaco at Mbappe's age, Ronaldinho had only just transferred to ligue 1 at his age, Suarez had only just arrived at Ajax at that age (where he would spend four more seasons), Neymar was still playing for Santos at that age, Romario hadn't even left vasco da gama for psv (where he would play for five seasons) at that age, Maradona was playing for boca juniors at that age, Shevchenko played for dinamo kiyev at that age.

This notion that if you aren't playing for the biggest possible club in the biggest league at 19,then you are wasting your career is plain hysteria.
That's not what i said is it.

Time is still on his side but every year in France is still a year wasted, and the later you leave it to learn new things the harder it gets. He's been at PSG 3 years now and barely progressed at all, you can see some big gaps in his game that are going unaddressed. If he had been at a proper club he could be much closer to the finished article by now.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
That's not what i said is it.

Time is still on his side but every year in France is still a year wasted, and the later you leave it to learn new things the harder it gets. He's been at PSG 3 years now and barely progressed at all, you can see some big gaps in his game that are going unaddressed. If he had been at a proper club he could be much closer to the finished article by now.
If he goes on to another UCL final next season with PSG, you cannot argue that a year will have been wasted.

On the other hand, if he continues being on the receiving end of nasty fouls and suffers other injuries as a result, due to being Ligue 1's star (alongside Neymar), indeed it will be a shame and a waste.

Nonetheless you can also be injured at Real Madrid or Manchester United. As far as his development as a player goes, the only thing he needs now is consistently start as centre forward.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I never said Aguero isn't world class.

There's a difference between world class and one of the very best to play the game.
For reference I consider Lewandowski one of the very best to play, clearly elite tier.
Robert Lewandowski(Borussia - Bayern) appearances 321 goals scored 236 - 0.73 gpg
International Cups(UEFA CUP - CL - EL) - Robert Lewandowski(Borussia - Bayern) 110 appearances goals scored 72 - 0.65 gpg

Looking at strikers with some longevity in the PL so going for over 100 appearances, because to maintain that consistency is much harder than performing well for a season or two.
EPL - Sergio Aguero(Man C) 263 appearances goals scored 180 - 0.68 gpg
International Cups(UEFA CUP - CL - EL) - Sergio Aguero(Man C) 101 appearances goals scored 61 - 0.60 gpg

REST OF PL
Harry Kane(Norwich - Tottenham) appearances 207 goals scored 143 - 0.69 gpg
Alan Shearer(Blackburn - Newcastle) 441 appearances goals scored 260 - 0.59 gpg
Thierry Henry(Arsenal) appearances 254 goals scored 174 - 0.68 gpg
Wayne rooney(Everton - Man Utd) appearances 460 goals scored 198 - 0.43 gpg
RVP(Arsenal - Man Utd) appearances 280 goals scored 144 - 0.51gpg
Didier Drogba(Chelsea - Chelsea) appearances 294 goals scored 104 - 0.35gpg
RVN(Man Utd) appearances 150 goals scored 95 - 0.63 gpg
Fernando Torres(Liverpool - Chelsea) appearances 212 goals scored 85 - 0.40 gpg
Carlos Tevez(West Ham - Man Utd - Man C) appearances 202 goals scored 84 - 0.41 gpg

FOR REFERENCE NON STRIKERS
Mo Salah(Liverpool) appearances 108 goals scored 73 - 0.67 gpg
Raheem Sterling(Liverpool - Man C) appearances 164 goals scored 68 - 0.41 gpg
Sadio Mane(Liverpool) appearances 127 goals scored 63 - 0.49 gpg
Cristiano Ronaldo(Man Utd) appearances 196 goals scored 84 - 0.42 gpg
Eden Hazard(Chelsea) appearances 245 goals scored 85 - 0.34 gpg

I mean looking over these players respective PL careers how can you not say he was one of the very best? What constitutes the very best if Aguero is not in the list? Just Messi and Ronaldo?

Golden boot winner, FA cup, not sure how many league cups, 4? 5? 4 premier league titles, most hat tricks by a player in PL history, 20+ goals a season five years running. Four titles is a lot just by itself for a player in the EPL which is a lot more competitive league than the Bundesliga. Bayern have won what? The last 6 years? 7 years? Im going to check with google......... last 8 years weeeeeee. Not saying Bayern are not a good side, they certainly are, they are just far too dominant for that league. Much like PSG in the French league.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes. Yes I have. I guess PSG and France kept this incredible 9 out wide for shits and giggles right?
Gotta squeeze Giroud in there somewhere.
:lol: Giroud is Deschamps' key player but it doesn't mean Kylian is restricted to the wing, just like with PSG. They're giving him Ronaldo's role for us since 06/07 , more freedom than a typical striker and winger. He's obviously being prepared to be a full 9 very soon.

Suedesi

Even today 180M for him is a steal, I know after the UCL final the critizism has been up but he's without a doubt the best young player in the world. He is only 21 and will only get better.
I don't doubt he's going to get better - I do doubt that transfer fees will go higher though it doesn't matter to a sovereign backed club like PSG.

Suedesi

For reference I consider Lewandowski one of the very best to play, clearly elite tier.
Robert Lewandowski(Borussia - Bayern) appearances 321 goals scored 236 - 0.73 gpg
International Cups(UEFA CUP - CL - EL) - Robert Lewandowski(Borussia - Bayern) 110 appearances goals scored 72 - 0.65 gpg

Looking at strikers with some longevity in the PL so going for over 100 appearances, because to maintain that consistency is much harder than performing well for a season or two.
EPL - Sergio Aguero(Man C) 263 appearances goals scored 180 - 0.68 gpg
International Cups(UEFA CUP - CL - EL) - Sergio Aguero(Man C) 101 appearances goals scored 61 - 0.60 gpg

REST OF PL
Harry Kane(Norwich - Tottenham) appearances 207 goals scored 143 - 0.69 gpg
Alan Shearer(Blackburn - Newcastle) 441 appearances goals scored 260 - 0.59 gpg
Thierry Henry(Arsenal) appearances 254 goals scored 174 - 0.68 gpg
Wayne rooney(Everton - Man Utd) appearances 460 goals scored 198 - 0.43 gpg
RVP(Arsenal - Man Utd) appearances 280 goals scored 144 - 0.51gpg
Didier Drogba(Chelsea - Chelsea) appearances 294 goals scored 104 - 0.35gpg
RVN(Man Utd) appearances 150 goals scored 95 - 0.63 gpg
Fernando Torres(Liverpool - Chelsea) appearances 212 goals scored 85 - 0.40 gpg
Carlos Tevez(West Ham - Man Utd - Man C) appearances 202 goals scored 84 - 0.41 gpg

FOR REFERENCE NON STRIKERS
Mo Salah(Liverpool) appearances 108 goals scored 73 - 0.67 gpg
Raheem Sterling(Liverpool - Man C) appearances 164 goals scored 68 - 0.41 gpg
Sadio Mane(Liverpool) appearances 127 goals scored 63 - 0.49 gpg
Cristiano Ronaldo(Man Utd) appearances 196 goals scored 84 - 0.42 gpg
Eden Hazard(Chelsea) appearances 245 goals scored 85 - 0.34 gpg

I mean looking over these players respective PL careers how can you not say he was one of the very best? What constitutes the very best if Aguero is not in the list? Just Messi and Ronaldo?

Golden boot winner, FA cup, not sure how many league cups, 4? 5? 4 premier league titles, most hat tricks by a player in PL history, 20+ goals a season five years running. Four titles is a lot just by itself for a player in the EPL which is a lot more competitive league than the Bundesliga. Bayern have won what? The last 6 years? 7 years? Im going to check with google......... last 8 years weeeeeee. Not saying Bayern are not a good side, they certainly are, they are just far too dominant for that league. Much like PSG in the French league.
One thing you can criticize every single Man City player is their atrocious record in the CL. They've been at it for 9 years and have what, one semifinal appearance in total?

They're all supposedly elite, and City is routinely favorites to win the CL every single year. Even next year they're currently favorites or second favorites. They got the best coach in the world, the best players in the world (Do they?) Something doesn't compute.

SAFMUTD

I don't doubt he's going to get better - I do doubt that transfer fees will go higher though it doesn't matter to a sovereign backed club like PSG.
He's 21, do you really think he has hit his heights? that would be a really rare case. Also transfer fees will definately go higher, not in these covid times but in 3 years time they will definitaly will.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, Mbappé is already a better player than Aguero. In fact he's better than Aguero ever was

Compare him to Lewandowski, Suarez, Cristiano, Messi, Henry....that's his comparison already. And to be clear, he's not as good as those guys. But he's already better than anything else in recent years

SAFMUTD

Maybe... Unless they lose him for free or next summer when he has just one year left so will probably cost only 1/3 of his original transfer fee. Let's be honest here, any €30m+ striker would be good enough for PSG to win L1.
That's a different point, yeah they may lose him for free or sell him for a reduce fee but that doesnt change the fact that he's worth the 180M. I agree with the 30M striker statement but I dont understand how that has anything to do with Mbappe?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
One thing you can criticize every single Man City player is their atrocious record in the CL. They've been at it for 9 years and have what, one semifinal appearance in total?

They're all supposedly elite, and City is routinely favorites to win the CL every single year. Even next year they're currently favorites or second favorites. They got the best coach in the world, the best players in the world (Do they?) Something doesn't compute.
This is totally true, but we are talking about great players not great teams. I am not going to judge Aguero by his trophies or lack there of in the CL alone. I mean you can check his European competition stats and they are really good, 0.60 gpg. And the bad in CL argument can be levelled at say PSG, purchased in 2011 by Hamid al Thani.

Look at Kane's stats from above, they are next level good, should I just relegate him to being a rubbish player because he plays for Spurs who have not won anything ever? Ok maybe they did win something during the Bolshevik uprising or the Boer war or something.

City have a team that can compete with the best, for sure. They are by no means 'the best'. But the nature of cup competitions, and part of the draw for viewers, is that anyone can beat anyone on their day. In fact it is one of my main draws to watching CL football. And why I dislike leagues like the Bundesliga where you can just award Bayern the trophy at the start of the season. Spurs made it to a CL final tells you everything you need to know about the nature of the CL, funnily enough knocking City out in the QF's to get there. :lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Yeah, Mbappé is already a better player than Aguero. In fact he's better than Aguero ever was

Compare him to Lewandowski, Suarez, Cristiano, Messi, Henry....that's his comparison already. And to be clear, he's not as good as those guys. But he's already better than anything else in recent years
Do you believe he’ll ever get to that level or will he ‘just’ be someone like Rooney who was obviously unbelievable and had a great career but didn’t reach the level at his peak that his teenage years suggested he could get to?

Mbappe is incredible and will obviously have a great career but I don’t believe he’ll ever get to the level of a Ronaldo or Messi at all. And I did believe it 2/3 years ago.

I’m even doubting he’ll ever be as good as Neymar is now for example.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, it's weird to criticize his off the ball movement. Even at Monaco he was so deadly with all the runs and his pace.
I hope i am wrong but to me seems Mbappe may be just peak earlier than other teenagers. He is a fine player now already and I hope he can improve further. He needs to add more to his game to be a better player than Thierry Henry. He is still very young and has lots of time to further develop.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Mbappe is in that Salah/Mane tier. Not above not below

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not as excited about his signing as in his time at Monaco or after the World Cup.
I think he has talent and conditions to be the great investment, and because Zidane says so, but sometimes I doubt myself. Doubts that started long before the Champions League final.
It seems that we have all jumped on his train and there is no other option than to sign him. Curiosity, stubbornness, long-term project, or status, "Madrid has to sign the one considered the best."
Maybe I don't like postponed signings. To be thinking in 2023 and not the present, or I just don't see him as the heir.
If we bring Florentino from 20 years ago to watch current games, he would go crazy for Neymar or De Bruyne but not for Mbappé

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's one of the things people used to highlight about him, which makes the criticism both bizarre and way wide of the mark. He makes great runs and takes up great positions. This is just a minor lull before everyone starts w@nking themselves silly about him all over again.

Suedesi

This is totally true, but we are talking about great players not great teams. I am not going to judge Aguero by his trophies or lack there of in the CL alone. I mean you can check his European competition stats and they are really good, 0.60 gpg. And the bad in CL argument can be levelled at say PSG, purchased in 2011 by Hamid al Thani.

Look at Kane's stats from above, they are next level good, should I just relegate him to being a rubbish player because he plays for Spurs who have not won anything ever? Ok maybe they did win something during the Bolshevik uprising or the Boer war or something.

City have a team that can compete with the best, for sure. They are by no means 'the best'. But the nature of cup competitions, and part of the draw for viewers, is that anyone can beat anyone on their day. In fact it is one of my main draws to watching CL football. And why I dislike leagues like the Bundesliga where you can just award Bayern the trophy at the start of the season. Spurs made it to a CL final tells you everything you need to know about the nature of the CL, funnily enough knocking City out in the QF's to get there. :lol:
I don't buy the Aguero and Kane hype. They're fine strikers, but not elite - which consists of Cristiano, Lewandowski, Suarez, Benzema, Mbappe and obviously Messi (albeit not a striker per se).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't buy the Aguero and Kane hype. They're fine strikers, but not elite - which consists of Cristiano, Lewandowski, Suarez, Benzema, Mbappe and obviously Messi (albeit not a striker per se).
I would say that Aguero has always been overrated by pretty much everyone, he has never been as good as the best attackers but he is a great goalscorer like Icardi, now when you watch them often enough you realize how they don't fit with the CL late stages, most teams can handle them by cutting their supply line and neither can create goals for themselves or others on a regular basis.
Kane is different, he was a top player between 2014-2018 and I would say that was around Lewandowski's current level but he isn't that player anymore, maybe he will comeback though.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I would say that Aguero has always been overrated by pretty much everyone, he has never been as good as the best attackers but he is a great goalscorer like Icardi, now when you watch them often enough you realize how they don't fit with the CL late stages, most teams can handle them by cutting their supply line and neither can create goals for themselves or others on a regular basis.
Kane is different, he was a top player between 2014-2018 and I would say that was around Lewandowski's current level but he isn't that player anymore, maybe he will comeback though.
Wow this is such a high standard to qualify as an elite striker. You need to be able to create something out of nothing! If you can't dribble past 5 or 6 players then you are not an elite. Then you can basically rule out everyone except R9, messi, Neymar and Henry. Even a peak CR7 is only borderline qualified.

It is a team sport and all strikers need supply from midfield. Even Messi needs iniesta and Xavi.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Those goals he doesn't score in the final game are purely down to experience. Had he played against decent opposition, he'd have buried those.

Your mind and body can only learn from new challenges. In his league, if he played like he did against Bayern, he'd have scored 2 at least because those players wouldn't have been able to cope with his abilities. It's a matter of adjusting.

Had he played against Bayern twice this year before, he'd have the beating of those defenders.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you believe he’ll ever get to that level or will he ‘just’ be someone like Rooney who was obviously unbelievable and had a great career but didn’t reach the level at his peak that his teenage years suggested he could get to?

Mbappe is incredible and will obviously have a great career but I don’t believe he’ll ever get to the level of a Ronaldo or Messi at all. And I did believe it 2/3 years ago.

I’m even doubting he’ll ever be as good as Neymar is now for example.
Yes. Maybe not Messi/Cristiano, and even as good and talented as he is that's an unfair standard to hold him to, but barring major injuries i don't see how he doesn't become at least the 4th best player of the last 20-30 years honestly

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Yes. Maybe not Messi/Cristiano, and even as good and talented as he is that's an unfair standard to hold him to, but barring major injuries i don't see how he doesn't become at least the 4th best player of the last 20-30 years honestly
I don't think he'll even be the best French player of the next 15 years personally so top 4 of the century by the time he retires? Don't know.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wow this is such a high standard to qualify as an elite striker. You need to be able to create something out of nothing! If you can't dribble past 5 or 6 players then you are not an elite. Then you can basically rule out everyone except R9, messi, Neymar and Henry. Even a peak CR7 is only borderline qualified.

It is a team sport and all strikers need supply from midfield. Even Messi needs iniesta and Xavi.
Where did I talked about elite/not elite?