Kylian Mbappe | PSG

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bale is still a better player than him.

Maybe not true in a year or two, but for now, Bale is a better player than him.
Definitely, i've been saying so! PSG would be so lucky to swap them

In seriousness, his performance gets panned for missing the biggest chance of the game. Fair enough. But PSG had 5 big chances yesterday and he was key in 4 of them. Played neymar through in the first half, his first touch backheel flick beat bayern's press and opened the pitch for the Di Maria chance, the missed sitter, and the through ball for neymar where choupo-moting missed the subsequent open goal tap-in

He was poor only because we expected so much more, really

Ace of Spades

It is easy to forget that he is still young, but he needs to improve other parts of his game and mix it up a bit. He still looks to be the same player he was three years ago. I guess there is not much incentive to change your game much, when what you are doing works so well usually.

Twingatz

Ill argue the technical ability. I think Rashfords passing, little slide rule passes etc are better than Mbappes. Rashford is getting a lot better at that to the point theres threads on here arguing that his lack of dribbling is hurting the side.
I think technical ability is where Mbappe falls down a little bit. He wont be a top class 9 because of it since he gots lost in the crowd a little bit but leave PSG and learn the inside forward position at the elite level.
I get the feeling that a lot if fans who constantly praise him sees 6 or 7 games of his a year. Its why the same World Cup etc games are constantly mentioned
You are talking like He will end up like Goetze and have a mediocre career.

432JuanMata

Madness in this thread. He is 21 had a bad game and people are calling him a fraud ? He was poor but he is a phenomenal player. My guess is the people here giving him stick are the same saying Rashford is young and has plenty time to develop when he has a poor game ?

Suedesi

I watch him every single week in Ligue 1. He misses the chances he had tonight fairly frequently

The difference is that he gets 7 or 8 per game as opposed to 2 or 3 like he did tonight..

Dont think fitness would impact his finishing and his runs were as good as usual.
France didn’t win the World Cup because of him, but once media decides someone is a star forget it.

Suedesi

Lewandowski was very poor. But that doesn't change the fact that so was Mbappe. He did create more but he is a winger /wide forward and hence expected to.
In a game of few chances he manufactured a great one with Kimbempe glued to his arse, he managed to swivel and hit the post with Navas completely beaten. He played well, he was marked tightly as expected in a final.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In a game of few chances he manufactured a great one with Kimbempe glued to his arse, he managed to swivel and hit the post with Navas completely beaten. He played well, he was marked tightly as expected in a final.
It was one shot. Everyone was tightly marked.

Suedesi

And the header. And the penalty that Rosatti missed. He played well overall, certainly better than any of the PSG imo

Eddy_JukeZ

I just think the caf suffers from recent history syndrome.

Im sure if you go back through the thread after one of his better games he was probably ranked better than Kane and Aguero. He may have a higher ceiling, but he certainly is not there yet.
Are you saying that you think Aguero is better than Mbappe? Pep would swap Aguero for Mbappe in an instant.

Kane has a better argument than Aguero does, but his knockout record in cup competitions is sub-par.

Tony247

Mbappe needs to move to a club which has a structure/ecosystem in place that can help rise him to next level. Otherwise I don't see he improving at PSG.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I'm not a sports physiology expert, but didn't he bulk up too much? I've been seeing this on top teams a lot, it kind of makes the players stiff.

Marcus

That weak effort from the cutback is unforgivable for such an elite player.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Did he actually improve since left Monaco? Because I don't see it.
Since he left Monaco he has scored 90 goals in 124 games, including 13 goals in 26 CL games. As 21 year old he is not that bad, I mean, what more do you expect?

Pep's Suit

Since he left Monaco he has scored 90 goals in 124 games, including 13 goals in 26 CL games. As 21 year old he is not that bad, I mean, what more do you expect?
Meant more as a player+person than just numbers when he plays in L1.

SAFMUTD

Not really, and when you add the commissions, salaries etc, I'm not sure it's a good deal, let alone steal.
Even today 180M for him is a steal, I know after the UCL final the critizism has been up but he's without a doubt the best young player in the world. He is only 21 and will only get better.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Are you saying that you think Aguero is better than Mbappe? Pep would swap Aguero for Mbappe in an instant.

Kane has a better argument than Aguero does, but his knockout record in cup competitions is sub-par.
Yes Aguero is better than Mbappe, and it is not even remotely close. I am talking career wise, peak Aguero was right up there with the very best to play the game. I mean you are looking at one of the best strikers ever in the prem. When it is all said and done and Aguero hangs up his boots he will be talked about alongside Henry.

Of course Pep would swap Aguero for Mbappe, you are talking about a striker who is coming to the end of his career at the top level versus a striker who could potentially lead the line for the next 10 years. But Aguero has done that, he has been that elite level striker. Mbappe, has the potential no doubt, and clubs will pay top dollar for a young striker with his kind of ceiling.

Kane is in his prime, and whats his knockout record got to do with anything? He plays for an average team, full of mostly average players, except for Son, that guy is a beast. Has had some injuries the last two seasons but has still posted respectable totals. He certainly isnt flashy, but the stats speak for themselves in regards to Kane. Going just on his goals to games return he is a shade under Aguero and Henry, with clear daylight to the chasing pack of Shearer and co. Fastest player ever to 20 CL goals, you have to go back some way to find a striker with his sort of goals to games ratio for England.

Mbappe last season was amazing, but one great season does not a world class striker make. He certainly has the potential to go all the way, and I think he is in a good spot at PSG, plenty of game time, CL football. Can always move to Barca, RM, Bayern, one of the giants of world football later in his career.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yes Aguero is better than Mbappe, and it is not even remotely close. I am talking career wise, peak Aguero was right up there with the very best to play the game. I mean you are looking at one of the best strikers ever in the prem. When it is all said and done and Aguero hangs up his boots he will be talked about alongside Henry.

Of course Pep would swap Aguero for Mbappe, you are talking about a striker who is coming to the end of his career at the top level versus a striker who could potentially lead the line for the next 10 years. But Aguero has done that, he has been that elite level striker. Mbappe, has the potential no doubt, and clubs will pay top dollar for a young striker with his kind of ceiling.

Kane is in his prime, and whats his knockout record got to do with anything? He plays for an average team, full of mostly average players, except for Son, that guy is a beast. Has had some injuries the last two seasons but has still posted respectable totals. He certainly isnt flashy, but the stats speak for themselves in regards to Kane. Going just on his goals to games return he is a shade under Aguero and Henry, with clear daylight to the chasing pack of Shearer and co. Fastest player ever to 20 CL goals, you have to go back some way to find a striker with his sort of goals to games ratio for England.

Mbappe last season was amazing, but one great season does not a world class striker make. He certainly has the potential to go all the way, and I think he is in a good spot at PSG, plenty of game time, CL football. Can always move to Barca, RM, Bayern, one of the giants of world football later in his career.
Aguero most definitely isn't up there with the very best to play the game.

Aguero is ridiculously overrated on here. He has consistently under-performed in Europe and has been terrible for Argentina. Someone like Lewandowski has easily had a better career than him and even he isn't up there with the very best to play this game.

And I thought we were talking about the present and not the totality of their careers. Seems pointless to compare that way when Mbappe is still so young.

Mbappe wasn't just amazing last season. Mbappe was amazing this season too.

Re: Kane, his poor knockout record was in reference to his goals(not his team's record).

James Peril

People talking down Mbappe really don’t know anything about football. Look at Rashford before his injury and his contribution after returning and playing too much after the break. Same with Mbappe, back from injury and a troublesome season, then another injury and hastily returned to action in the CL. Mbappe is a generational talent and there just isn’t any doubt about where he is ending up, bar the odd long-term injury and problems which no player can control.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Aguero most definitely isn't up there with the very best to play the game.

Aguero is ridiculously overrated on here. He has consistently under-performed in Europe and has been terrible for Argentina. Someone like Lewandowski has easily had a better career than him and even he isn't up there with the very best to play this game.

And I thought we were talking about the present and not the totality of their careers. Seems pointless to compare that way when Mbappe is still so young.

Mbappe wasn't just amazing last season. Mbappe was amazing this season too.

Re: Kane, his poor knockout record was in reference to his goals(not his team's record).
We are not going to agree at all if you think Aguero is ridiculously overrated.

So exactly who is a world class striker in your books? Messi and Ronaldo, everyone else rubbish? I do not get these 'Unless you have performed in a CL final vs RM or Barca and scored in the final 5 mins of the game to win the CL when you are a man down you shouldnt be considered world class.' arguments from some posters.

Eddy_JukeZ

We are not going to agree at all if you think Aguero is ridiculously overrated.

So exactly who is a world class striker in your books? Messi and Ronaldo, everyone else rubbish? I do not get these 'Unless you have performed in a CL final vs RM or Barca and scored in the final 5 mins of the game to win the CL when you are a man down you shouldnt be considered world class.' arguments from some posters.
I never said Aguero isn't world class.

There's a difference between world class and one of the very best to play the game.

cyberman

Pep let Sancho go because he didnt fit the system so couldn't give him games.
Pep wouldn't swap the best 9 he has for a player who cant really excel in that position

Eddy_JukeZ

Pep wouldn't swap the best 9 he has for a player who cant really excel in that position
Why can't Mbappe excel in that position?

Pep has had games where he's preferred Jesus over Aguero. Why wouldn't he prefer Mbappe over Aguero?

Also Sancho was nowhere near as established when he left City as Mbappe is now. Not apples to apples.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That's France for you. He is still the same player he was at Monaco and in Russia. Hes so dominant in Ligue 1 it is making him think he doesnt need to improve, and in that league he doesnt. Hes lost 2 or 3 critical years of development. Every year he spends there is a year wasted and at his age he cant afford to lose many more if he wants to live up to his potential.
Ffs.

Zidane was 24 when he left Bordeaux. Thierry Henry was still playing for Monaco at Mbappe's age, Ronaldinho had only just transferred to ligue 1 at his age, Suarez had only just arrived at Ajax at that age (where he would spend four more seasons), Neymar was still playing for Santos at that age, Romario hadn't even left vasco da gama for psv (where he would play for five seasons) at that age, Maradona was playing for boca juniors at that age, Shevchenko played for dinamo kiyev at that age.

This notion that if you aren't playing for the biggest possible club in the biggest league at 19,then you are wasting your career is plain hysteria.

cyberman

Why can't Mbappe excel in that position?

Pep has had games where he's preferred Jesus over Aguero. Why wouldn't he prefer Mbappe over Aguero?

Also Sancho was nowhere near as established when he left City as Mbappe is now. Not apples to apples.
He isnt good in tight spaces, he isnt thst good with his back to goal and doesnt make the runs across defenders etc that a 9 needs to do.
Sane then. Hell Foden on the bench.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ffs.

Zidane was 24 when he left Bordeaux. Thierry Henry was still playing for Monaco at Mbappe's age, Ronaldinho had only just transferred to ligue 1 at his age, Suarez had only just arrived at Ajax at that age (where he would spend four more seasons), Neymar was still playing for Santos at that age, Romario hadn't even left vasco da gama for psv (where he would play for five seasons) at that age, Maradona was playing for boca juniors at that age, Shevchenko played for dinamo kiyev at that age.

This notion that if you aren't playing for the biggest possible club in the biggest league at 19,then you are wasting your career is plain hysteria.
Good post

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
The plan when he moved to PSG was to become centre forward. Unfortunately it has not yet panned out that way. He even spent most of the final on the wing.

When fully fit, he can still become more clinical in 1-on-1 against keepers. This is possibly the only thing missing to his elite all-round game.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He is 21 and I expect him to leave the French league at the age of 22.

Can he learn something in the meantime? Yes because he will spend more time as a number 9 than in the past i.e Cavani left the club

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sancho leaving has nothing to do with system, Pep didn't think he was ready, Sancho didn't want to wait.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He is 21 and I expect him to leave the French league at the age of 22.
His contract expires in 2022. Will be interesting to see under what circumstances PSG will be willing to let him go.

cyberman

Sancho leaving has nothing to do with system, Pep didn't think he was ready, Sancho didn't want to wait.
He was ready. Pep didnt want to play him.
Sane was ready, he had to fight tooth and nail for a place. Foden has been ready for God knows how long. Mharez finds himself on the bench every other week throughout his career. He hates KDBs long, probing passes since it leaves them exposes when cut out.
Pep doesnt like individualism. Its why his midfield has 2 of the most boring CM in the league and he played Jesus from wide in big games.
Mbappe would not work in a Pep side. He would try to mould him into Sterling with quick pass and runs in a fixed position from wide and not hold onto the ball.

Pep's Suit

Even today 180M for him is a steal, I know after the UCL final the critizism has been up but he's without a doubt the best young player in the world. He is only 21 and will only get better.
Maybe... Unless they lose him for free or next summer when he has just one year left so will probably cost only 1/3 of his original transfer fee. Let's be honest here, any €30m+ striker would be good enough for PSG to win L1.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was ready. Pep didnt want to play him.
Sane was ready, he had to fight tooth and nail for a place. Foden has been ready for God knows how long. Mharez finds himself on the bench every other week throughout his career. He hates KDBs long, probing passes since it leaves them exposes when cut out.
Pep doesnt like individualism. Its why his midfield has 2 of the most boring CM in the league and he played Jesus from wide in big games.
Mbappe would not work in a Pep side. He would try to mould him into Sterling with quick pass and runs in a fixed position from wide and not hold onto the ball.
Sancho was ready, he was 17 when he left City. Pep thought he wasn't ready and also it's not like he would have played him head of Sane and Sterling at that time.

He hates KdB long probing passes? Rest of the post is all a good creative story which I don't have any interest to take part in.

Thats why I replied about only Sancho part. He left as a 17 year old, which has nothing to do with not suiting Pep's style.