Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Gonçalo Motta

But if you make a projection, matching Henry's prime will be difficult for most players. And I don't know if Mbappé is better than Henry in 2000, Henry was better at the Euro and 2000 is the start of his world domination among strikers.
At that age, Henry was already showing great signs of the player he could become and it was around the same age that we went to Arsenal. He was either 22 or 23 if I'm not mistaken.
Mbappe at least at club level started to peak faster and higher than Henry at the same age but I guess you can make the claim that's not the case when it's about the NT.

Obviously, the player's evolution is not a linear thing so Mbappe could be that kind of cases that peaked way too fast, way too early and his level will never get much higher than this.
But I like the kid and I see a lot of potential there if he doesn't let his own ego get in his way.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At that age, Henry was already showing great signs of the player he could become and it was around the same age that we went to Arsenal. He was either 22 or 23 if I'm not mistaken.
Mbappe at least at club level started to peak faster and higher than Henry at the same age but I guess you can make the claim that's not the case when it's about the NT.

Obviously, the player's evolution is not a linear thing so Mbappe could be that kind of cases that peaked way too fast, way too early and his level will never get much higher than this.
But I like the kid and I see a lot of potential there if he doesn't let his own ego get in his way.
It's sometimes missed but Henry was great for Monaco who was a very good team at the time(C1 and C3 semi finals in 94, 97 and 98). The difference in precocity isn't that big, Henry wasn't a late bloomer, he was a regular for Monaco since 96.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Kylian is a fantastic player, the most promising player. He will learn and be stronger.

He also needs to leave the French league before the start of the next World cup if he wants to further grow.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Name a top French player of the past 20 years that didn’t improve in Spain, Italy or England.
Henry, Vieira, Pires, Zidane and about a hundred more all massively improved their games outside of France. Kante, Benzema, every French player worth their salt has moved abroad and seriously improved their game.
From his generation and at his position Martial and Dembélé have wasted crucial development years abroad. Benzema's evolution as a player wasn't especially impressive either from his early promise at Lyon. Not to mention the many talented kids for whom an early move ruined their career and fell into obscurity.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
You can't compare players projections as there are too many variables. In regards to Mbappe v Henry, I would say Mbappe v Henry 17 year old to 20 year old, Mbappe was better. 20 year old to 22 year old, pretty similar maybe Mbappe just edging it.

In my opinion, Mbappe will have to leave France. The French league isn't bad, like say Scotland or even Holland but it falls into the Portugal sort of level (I think top end of Portugal is better) in that the top teams are decent and can put a run together in the CL when things align, however owing the the overall standard you're not pushed enough week in, week out.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

You can't compare players projections as there are too many variables. In regards to Mbappe v Henry, I would say Mbappe v Henry 17 year old to 20 year old, Mbappe was better. 20 year old to 22 year old, pretty similar maybe Mbappe just edging it.

In my opinion, Mbappe will have to leave France. The French league isn't bad, like say Scotland or even Holland but it falls into the Portugal sort of level (I think top end of Portugal is better) in that the top teams are decent and can put a run together in the CL when things align, however owing the the overall standard you're not pushed enough week in, week out.
Henry at 22 had 34 career goals and 40 assists

Mbappe is still 22 and has 159 goals 70 assists

He is MILES ahead of where Henry was at his age

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Context matter. Look for who Mbappe has been playing and where Henry used to play too
Both played for Monaco and both won Ligue 1 there
Henry also had a season at Juventus.

Henry was also playing as a winger at 22 instead of upfront and didn't play in a stacked team like PSG where he can pad his stats against much weaker teams.
Mbappe at Monaco had better numbers than Henry for Juve or for ligue 1 winning side Monaco in the 90s

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Err.. you need a little history lesson there. Back then Henry was a still playing as a winger in midfield under old system, he was later coverted to forward player by Wenger after his moved to England, hence his stats immediately improved. You are basically comparing the stats of midfield winger under old system to forward striker under new system. Apple to orange comparison.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Both played for Monaco and both won Ligue 1 there
Henry also had a season at Juventus.

Mbappe at Monaco had better numbers than Henry for Juve or for ligue 1 winning side Monaco in the 90s
Henry wasn't the striker Mbappe was at Monaco in a stronger Ligue 1. I'll say it again, numbers without context are not helpful

Mbappe is clearly superior to Henry at his age.
Without a doubt but using goals scored as a way to justify it is pretty stupid IMHO.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Henry wasn't the striker Mbappe was at Monaco in a stronger Ligue 1. I'll say it again, numbers without context are not helpful

Without a doubt but using goals scored as a way to justify it is pretty stupid IMHO.
I agree. I prefer to use the fact in a Monaco weaker than Henry was in at a similar af. An mbappe helped lead that team to beat a superior PSG to a league title. Plus had 2 excellent years in the ucl. Smacking around some giants in the process. Then he took that form into international football proper.

This slight dip in form since the Bayern knock out game is normal for a you g players career. It shows why CR7 and LM10 like Pele are just aliens. Being THAT consistent is abnormal.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yes and that's the reason why France played a 4231/433 hybrid in 2018. His fullback his done, if Mbappé is supposed to help him. And when people compare Neymar and Mbappé workrate, it's night and day.
Neymar works his socks off. He has a terrific engine. I remember watching Neymar live a few years ago and thinking this guy puts in a shift.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Err.. you need a little history lesson there. Back then Henry was a still playing as a winger in midfield under old system, he was later coverted to forward after he moved to England, hence his stats immediately improved. You are basically comparing the stats of midfield winger under old system to forward striker under new system.
To be fair, despite that, nobody considered Henry as among the best attackers or wingers in football so he was definitely not as good as Henry at that age regardless of statistics.

Of course everyone develops at a different rate. If it was that simple, all these 50 wonderkids out there today will be greater footballers than Zidane.

JPRouve

Scout
To be fair, despite that, nobody considered Henry as among the best attackers or wingers in football so he was definitely not as good as Henry at that age regardless of statistics.

Of course everyone develops at a different rate. If it was that simple, all these 50 wonderkids out there today will be greater footballers than Zidane.
In 2000, so at roughly the same age Henry finished 4th in the Ballon d'Or award. He was definitely considered among the best attackers in Football.

Womp

idiot
Kylian is a fantastic player, the most promising player. He will learn and be stronger.

He also needs to leave the French league before the start of the next World cup if he wants to further grow.
Sarcasm? Not often you see fans from different leagues actually maintain such opinions about their leagues

Womp

idiot
He is a fecking ridiculous player, a bad tournament doesn't change that. We are talking about a kid who has scored more goals at a similar age than the best players we've ever seen. Even if he doesn't get better than this and continues at this trajectory, he would have went onto have an incredible career with ridiculous output.

I agree with the sentiment that he needs to get out of France though. Also needs to keep his head in check, I obviously can't comment for sure, but if he is getting ahead of himself at such a young age, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start stagnating.

kouroux

He is a fecking ridiculous player, a bad tournament doesn't change that. We are talking about a kid who has scored more goals at a similar age than the best players we've ever seen. I agree with the sentiment that he needs to get out of France though. Also needs to keep his head in check, I obviously can't comment for sure, but if he is getting ahead of himself at such a young age, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start stagnating.
The good thing is that he's still very young. He has all the time in the world to change a few things. It's fecking crazy how he's being written off after a horrible tournament.

Eddy_JukeZ

Only on the cafe could a player go from Ballon D'Or contender to England's back-ups are as good as him. Like :lol:

He had a terrible tournament. He won't reach Messi/Ronaldo levels, but he's still a fantastic player.

Womp

idiot
The good thing is that he's still very young. He has all the time in the world to change a few things. It's fecking crazy how he's being written off after a horrible tournament.
Ye, think it's a compliment to him though tbf. Even with how young he is and how stacked that France team is, he is still the one over-analysed. The kid had a bad tournament after a long as feck season, it happens. Messi and Ronaldo are the two best ever and you could argue they haven't been the best at international level, it happens in international football, so many factors.

Think people forget just how young he is because of how good he already is, I wouldn't bet against him bouncing back from this though

kouroux

Ye, think it's a compliment to him though tbf. Even with how young he is and how stacked that France team is, he is still the one over-analysed. The kid had a bad tournament after a long as feck season, it happens. Messi and Ronaldo are the two best ever and you could argue they haven't been the best at international level, it happens in international football, so many factors.

Think people forget just how young he is because of how good he already is, I wouldn't bet against him bouncing back from this though
It's why what people say a few mins/hours after a game should be disregarded most of the time. Mbappe needs to be more humble and improve in terms of playing a true team player (Benzema is a great example of that) but I don't doubt he'll get there. A different environment where he isn't pampered is the key

JPRouve

Scout
It's crazy if you don't take into account that it is how many sport fans work. You are either the best or shit, as a club you are either rich or completely broke, we literally have people calling mercenaries players that have moved once in their careers. People aren't in the business of making sense, it's all about hyperboles.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I laugh even harder when I see the word 'stagnated' used on a player who has just had a slight dip in form. Especially the young ones

kouroux

It's crazy if you don't take into account that it is how many sport fans work. You are either the best or shit, as a club you are either rich or completely broke, we literally have people calling mercenaries players that have moved once in their careers. People aren't in the business of making sense, it's all about hyperboles.
True. There is no middle ground to discussions, it's all very extreme. Everyone like his hot take on things

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Players who moves are mercenaries, players who don't are not ambitious.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
This is easily the worst post I've ever read on here. white text

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

They played different positions. Furthermore, I said Mbappe was better between 17-20 which also helps explain his stats. Essentially my point was that Henry had a big upward curve from 22/23 onwards. My point is that 17-19 year old Mbappe was quite a distance ahead of 17-19 year old Henry. However, the gap between them at 20-22 is closer so Mbappe is going to have to improve as otherwise he won't be as good as Henry when all is said and done as Henry had a massive upward trajectory after his early 20's.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Only on the cafe could a player go from Ballon D'Or contender to England's back-ups are as good as him. Like :lol:

He had a terrible tournament. He won't reach Messi/Ronaldo levels, but he's still a fantastic player.
very often extremes/absolutes are popular because they're controversial. Reality is very complex, though. So people want to simplify, otherwise it wouldn't be exciting.

JPRouve

Scout
very often extremes/absolutes are popular because they're controversial. Reality is very complex, though. So people want to simplify, otherwise it wouldn't be exciting.
Complexity is the spice of life.

Schneckerl

0g & 0a, missing the decisive PK while playing for the tournament favorite and having the shortest Ballon D'or bookies odds
has to be one of the all-time worst tournament performances relative to expectation

kidbob

The lad is fine. He's being judged by Messi and Ronaldo standards when he was never going to be anywhere near them. But heres the thing the whole football world is going to go through a massive reset soon when they have to realise that Messi and Ronaldo are outliers of the extreme nature. This lad will and already is a World Class player but we have been using that term for the two freaks when it would be better to refer to them in an even higher class. Put it this way Neymar was the first heir apparent and if held up against the other two he failed.

Simply put when they both retire we will finally revert to the normal in terms of what World Class is. Its something that hounded Rooney, for example, because he was in the same era. Rooney was definitely World Class its just that Messi and Ronaldo were in an entirely different category beyond World Class.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He's obviously a massive talent and already a brilliant player. Most exciting young player I have seen come through since Messi/Ronaldo. That's not to say he's their level....he isn't, but he generates that level of excitement in his promise.

I do feel he is developing an obvious attitude problem though, and I think that will be a big problem for him down the road. He is in a small closed environment where domestic dominance is all but guaranteed and there is little to challenge him year on year to go to the next level. He absolutely needs to move. If he goes to Spain or England he will go up a level. I feel in the last couple of years he has stopped doing the things that made him good in the first place, and the things he's added to his game aren't universally positive. But the qualities that make him great are still there. He just needs a more challenging environment and an attitude check.

Ironically, the personal failure of his Euros might be the best thing that's happened to him.

JPRouve

Scout
Would Henry have developed the same if Wenger didn't take him from Juventus and nurture his talent?
Henry was developed when he joined Arsenal, he had only spent 6 months in Juventus where they decided that he wasn't going to play as a striker. Henry scored 17 goals during his first season in the PL.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Henry was developed when he joined Arsenal, he had only spent 6 months in Juventus where they decided that he wasn't going to play as a striker. Henry scored 17 goals during his first season in the PL.
Why did Juve let a world class talent go then?

If Wenger didn't buy him and change his position, give him belief and the style of play to suit, he probably wouldn't have been the same player.

He scored 17 goals first season because of Wenger surely?

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
I don't understand the talk about him having a bad tournament. Two of Frances three goals against Switzerland were Mbappe assists or hockey assists. If the french hadn't gotten arrogant they would be in the quarters now having won 3-1, hardly a fault of Mbappe. But I do agree he felt the pressure, I knew as soon as he picked up the ball he would miss his penalty. It was obvious beforehand he was desperate to break his duck. But he was in no way shape or form bad, the opposing team had to always stay honest when defending against him.

It's just that we expect a 22 year old to carry PSG, France and the mantle of best in the world post Messi & Ronaldo but it's a much to heavy burden for some one that young (who wrongly feels he needs to be the savior).

Brazilian Ronaldo collapsed at 21 in the 1998 final, Maradona at 22 saw red as his Argentina crashed out of the tournament in 1982, Cristiano Ronaldo at 23 missed a decisive penalty in the Champions League final in 2008, Messi at 23 scored 0 goals in the 2010 World Cup as Argentina were trashed 4-0 by Germany.

If Mbappe is anything like the rest of the lot he will find new resolve and perhaps learn to calm down before it's his turn in Euro 2024 and WC 2026 when he is 26-28 and able to carry the burden. The pressure in this tournament (and the WC 2022) should have been on Pogba, Griezmann, Benzema, Kante, Varane - experienced players.

---
And don't give me this cr*p about comparing Mbappe to Henry. That's a Premier League-centred view, I understand, but Henry was at best a 9/10 together with other greats like Eto'o or Figo. Then you have your inbetweeners like Suarez or Ibrahimovic at 9.5/10. Mbappe and Haaland can reach 10/10 if they can sustain - prime brazilian Ronaldo, Xavi, Zidane, Iniesta level. I don't want to speak about the two aliens who might have broken the chart.

JPRouve

Scout
Why did Juve let a world class talent go then?

If Wenger didn't buy him and change his position, give him belief and the style of play to suit, he probably wouldn't have been the same player.

He scored 17 goals first season because of Wenger surely?
Because he didn't sign for Ancelotti but Lippi, there is an anecdote that answers your initial question. Henry said that Lippi intended to play him as a striker, like Wenger did but that Ancelotti joined Juventus in February and only played him as a traditional wide player. Ancelotti said that it was one of his biggest regrets.