Kylian Mbappe | Signs new PSG contract until 2025, La Liga says they intend to file a complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatanator

Mbappe to Madrid
Kane to PSG
Ronaldo to City

Just want to take a moment to appreciate Levy for his efforts in this window.

Eddy_JukeZ

If Mbappe can command this with one year on his contract, Haaland’s “free transfer” will be utterly ludicrous in terms of wages, signing on fees and agent fees.
Haaland's deal will be astronomical.

Hopefully we can shift more wages next season and make a serious run at him. If we have a good season, I think we'll nab him.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I love Mendy like a son, but he's not a better LB than Alaba. Not even close. Mendy is a left footed Wan Bissaka with more confidence
Surprised by that take but since i value your inputs i will believe you since you have also seen a lot more of Mendy than i have. To me he looked great but the sample size is small.

Btw, do you have a list of the buyout clauses of Madrid‘s players? Asking for an oil state. :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Haaland's deal will be astronomical.

Hopefully we can shift more wages next season and make a serious run at him. If we have a good season, I think we'll nab him.
We won’t be in the running. You’ll be looking at the equivalent of paying more than £150m, probably closer to £200m, in fees to Dortmund, the agents and Haaland, and then more than £500k a week in wages.

hungryhippo

I don't think it's a smart move from Madrid.

Mbappé is a great player - of course - in my view, he's not showing himself to be near Messi/Ronaldo calibre. He's an attacking force, but with weaknesses. He needs a team that works. He needs creativity and fluidity around him, something that Madrid currently can't offer.

Madrid is far from a finished project with this signing and they must be binding a lot of capital if they go through this.

And Mbappe, his contract is soon over, why would he want his next club to blow 200m on the transfer fee, when he could get a bigger portion of that in wages?

Reactions: Sultan

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yet, he is excatly the kind of forward you need with Neymar and Messi (both more of a playmakers) in that team to make it work to full attacking potential, isn't he?
To be totally honest, I think prime Suarez was more suited to play with Neymar and Messi (unless you're building a counter attack/transition team, in that case you can't do better than Mbappé), I don't think our front 3 would be better than the MSN (because it would be less versatile) but he could do wonders with Messi and Neymar as playmakers yeah. It will definitelty hurt our team if he leaves but that's the way it is. We won't be able to replace him with someone as good but if we spend the money wisely (meaning buying a good midfielder and a good left back), I think our team will be better in the long run. If we do as terrible as Barça did with Neymar's money, it'll cripple us for years though because he was our guarantee of a very high level striker for 10 years, which is very hard to find.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Surprised by that take but since i value your inputs i will believe you since you have also seen a lot more of Mendy than i have. To me he looked great but the sample size is small.

Btw, do you have a list of the buyout clauses of Madrid‘s players? Asking for an oil state. :lol:
Mendy is an excellent 1vs1 defender, a pretty good positional defender, a surprisingly good dribbler, a decent passer and hardworker and willing runner. That said, he has ZERO end product, can't play a final ball to save his life, and his decision making is erratic

Our buyout clauses are outside the reach of even oil states :D

Zlatanator

Seems that you don't know Mbappé well enough. He's very good at certain things, the best in the world when he has a tiny bit of space. But there's also a lot of things he can't do and I highly doubt he'll be able to improve those to ever reach a goat level. He can't shoot outside the box (his long shots are soft and inaccuracte), can't shoot free kick even if he asked to (this can be improved but he'll never have the nice powershot the best have), can't play as a pivot point when he doesn't face the goal, doesn't work hard defensively (in all fairness this can be improved by a good coach) and never scores more than 1 header a year,. He's limited, he's probably the best limited player in the history of the game. He should consider himself lucky if he ever manages to be better than peak Henry.

The problem is, he wants to be more than that, we've seen him several times trying to do what Neymar does (and fail).
You summed him up very well. Him being the Parisian and the poster boy of PSG's quest for glory is what hurts the most. How will the PSG faithful react if he leaves?

Eddy_JukeZ

We won’t be in the running. You’ll be looking at the equivalent of paying more than £150m, probably closer to £200m, in fees to Dortmund, the agents and Haaland, and then more than £500k a week in wages.
Worth it for Haaland.

We'll be in the running for a generational striker like him. We will likely not have much competition either.

Chelsea are out. Barcelona indebted too much. City will probably get Kane next season or Lewa.

Don't think Haaland wants to be in Real Madrid with Mbappe.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
How many players did PSG lose against their wishes in the last decade? RM can't match the off the books salary which PSG can offer. If MBappe really does leave PSG, that would be solely to follow Ronaldo's footsteps.

I wouldn't trust the Spanish outlets, since a while back, every summer they were convincing people how RM were going to sign Neymar from PSG.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Worth it for Haaland.

We'll be in the running for a generational striker like him. We will likely not have much competition either.

Chelsea are out. Barcelona indebted too much. City will probably get Kane next season or Lewa.

I can imagine him wanting to be at PSG with Neymar and Messi feeding him. If they lose Mbappe, they will go all out for him and they won’t be put off by his wages and have a good relationship with Raiola. I did think we had a good chance like yourself but PSG seems the most likely by far now. 3/4 years stat padding and pushing for the CL and then a big move to EPL or La Liga.

Eddy_JukeZ

I can imagine him wanting to be at PSG with Neymar and Messi feeding him. If they lose Mbappe, they will go all out for him and they won’t be put off by his wages and have a good relationship with Raiola. I did think we had a good chance like yourself but PSG seems the most likely by far now. 3/4 years stat padding and pushing for the CL and then a big move to EPL or La Liga.
PSG is a big threat if he's interested, but he doesn't strike me as someone who wants to play in Ligue 1 right now. I could be way off though.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
PSG is a big threat if he's interested, but he doesn't strike me as someone who wants to play in Ligue 1 right now. I could be way off though.
He’s a stat whore and champions league is his bread and butter. If he can get 3/4 years of 50-60 goals and lift all domestic titles and a champions league I expect he will be happy.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
To be totally honest, I think prime Suarez was more suited to play with Neymar and Messi (unless you're building a counter attack team, in that case you can't do better than Mbappé), I don't think our front 3 would be better than the MSN (because it would be less versatile) but he could do wonders with Messi and Neymar as playmakers yeah. It will definitelty hurt our team if he leaves but that's the way it is. We won't be able to replace him with someone as good but if we spend the money wisely (meaning buying a good midfielder and a good left back), I think our team will be better in the long run. If we do as terrible as Barça did with Neymar's money, it'll cripple us for years.
Yeah, I also think MSN couldn't be matched for the same reasons you stated (more versatility along with much more workrate from Suarez and a bit younger Messi).

In fact I agree with everything until the bolded part. Let's be honest you won't be crippled any time soon.

As stated above, you will probably just turn to Haaland.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You summed him up very well. Him being the Parisian and the poster boy of PSG's quest for glory is what hurts the most. How will the PSG faithful react if he leaves?
The weird thing is, Mbappé never managed to create a real bond with supporters in Paris. We love him as a player because he's great, but he's not very liked as a person. Most supporters that go to the Parc de Prince see him as a very distant person, it just never clicked with him the way it did with other players like Pastore for exemple (even if he wasn't as good and was always injured). So to answer your question, i'm not sure it'll be a big shock or if supporters will take it at heart when he goes to Real because it was always bound to happen and he kinda made us feel this way since the day he arrived. We'll miss the player deeply, because he's wonderful, we won't really miss the man though.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
180m is a ridiculous price for last year of a contract, it's like a desperation move which I would be completely fine with. I actually want to see Mbappe play in a different league after 5-6 years. A big part of me wished he'd stay another season to see him with Messi and Neymar, but for PSG it would be much better to take this offer. It'll smooth out this whole FFP business.
Madrid cannot afford to enter wars with PSG and Mbappe is not Rabiot or Arfa.
They would not have been saving 3 years if they thought he was going to happily leave on June 22.
Although we are buying a player, the story must be that PSG in their benevolence accepts our money.
It is desperate but we are signing the most attractive (young) player on the market to the most economically powerful team.
It's a status signing. I think that in all this time I have not thought once where he is going to play.

Eddy_JukeZ

He’s a stat whore and champions league is his bread and butter. If he can get 3/4 years of 50-60 goals and lift all domestic titles and a champions league I expect he will be happy.
Perhaps, but Messi is 34 and isn't getting any younger. Age catches up to everyone. I would be surprised if Haaland went to PSG.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
My theory is that you cannot force a club that you consider to be a friend to release a player.
He may end up renewing and or not and cause a lot of stress in their team for months.
It does not compensate us that in a situation like Varane they do not make an offer and invite the player to leave for free.
If we really want him, we will have to pay. The interesting thing is to have reached this situation where PSG is forced
It's one of those scenarios you often hear about - it's a mental fee to offer for a player in the final year in his contract, it's even more absurd that PSG are even considering turning a bid like that down.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Worth it for Haaland.

I’d like to see us have the ambition to build a side to consistently challenge for the league and cups again, but I don’t see it. This summer has turned into a bit of damp squib again. We can’t even find the smaller amount of money to strengthen our defensive midfield and right back slots.

Not being able to sell players is becoming a real issue. The club won’t be signing more players than it can register. Romero and Jones were rare exceptions last season. I’ve no idea why we are still keeping Mata around.

gorky_utd

Hope Mbappe moves to Madrid. Otherwise PSG would be too much powerfull in the CL. But I think Mbappe should have stayed one more season with Messi and Neymar.

SirtheIcarium

It's one of those scenarios you often hear about - it's a mental fee to offer for a player in the final year in his contract, it's even more absurd that PSG are even considering turning a bid like that down.
The problem is they are not a normal club. The last thing a sportswashing exercise like PSG want is to be seen to be getting bullied by Madrid, or showing weakness.

They'll keep him and lose him on a free next year, when they can tell their fans they signed the greatest footballer of all time, and he still wouldn't stay.

Nori-

For Madrid, does paying 160m Euros now really outweigh the benefits of getting him on a free next year?

I mean, I understand it will increase commercial income for the club, but 160m more? from one player alone?

Either way I hope, they do get him this summer for that fee....It just means less money for them to spend on other targets we would potentially both be going for in future.

::sonny::

Psg don’t need money, they can stamp money with their state central bank, they have only to do a click

Last edited:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
For Madrid, does paying 160m Euros now really outweigh the benefits of getting him on a free next year?

I mean, I understand it will increase commercial income for the club, but 160m more? from one player alone?

Either way I hope, they do get him this summer for that fee....It just means less money for them to spend on other targets we would potentially both be going for in future.
The only thing I can think of is that they’ve caught wind of a big bid from elsewhere and are concerned they could be gazzumped.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I don't think it's a smart move from Madrid.

Mbappé is a great player - of course - in my view, he's not showing himself to be near Messi/Ronaldo calibre. He's an attacking force, but with weaknesses. He needs a team that works. He needs creativity and fluidity around him, something that Madrid currently can't offer.

Madrid is far from a finished project with this signing and they must be binding a lot of capital if they go through this.

And Mbappe, his contract is soon over, why would he want his next club to blow 200m on the transfer fee, when he could get a bigger portion of that in wages?
Mbappe has been successful in every team he has played in thus far so there’s no real evidence to suggest that he needs a specific set of circumstances to flourish.

Cloud7

Seems like we're still in the era of Real Madrid. What they want, they usually get. I wonder if there will ever be a time that English clubs will get players ahead of them.
We're never not going to be in the era of Real Madrid. There will be some exceptions here and there, but they are the biggest club in world football. It is what it is. We just have to accept that.

Cloud7

It would be annoying if Mbappe leaves this summer and we don't get the chance to see the potential link up between him, Messi and Neymar

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Mbappe has been successful in every team he has played in thus far so there’s no real evidence to suggest that he needs a specific set of circumstances to flourish.
Mbappé is a great player, he'll be good anywhere but he'll be better in teams that match his qualities. If you take Real madrid as an exemple, I think he'll be very good with Benzema but i doubt being the sole striker will suit him that well when Benzema retires. And Real will then need to completely change their style because since Ronaldo, Real is used to crossing a lot, which worked great for them because Benzema and Ronaldo were amazing at finishing close to the goal (both are fantastic headers). Mbappé isn't this kind of player at all.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
How many players did PSG lose against their wishes in the last decade? RM can't match the off the books salary which PSG can offer. If MBappe really does leave PSG, that would be solely to follow Ronaldo's footsteps.

I wouldn't trust the Spanish outlets, since a while back, every summer they were convincing people how RM were going to sign Neymar from PSG.
It wouldn’t be to „be like Ronaldo“. It would be because Real is a far bigger club than PSG. The biggest in the world to be precise.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: Florentino Perez, complaining about how "football is dying" from lack of money, is about to spend €160m+ to buy a player he could get next summer for free.

Cloud7

From a Madrid POV, you would imagine that even if the player does right now want to come to them, there will be other clubs that might pitch some very attractive offers to him when he's available for free, like us, city, chelsea etc., so perhaps bidding for him now is a means of avoiding getting into that and potentially losing him.

The other side is, you would think, a lot of the money they would have paid in the transfer fee will end up going to Mbappe and his agent etc. next year anyway, so the cost may work out to be close.

Cloud7

:lol: Florentino Perez, complaining about how "football is dying" from lack of money, is about to spend €160m+ to buy a player he could get next summer for free.
His complaint was always, if you read between the lines, that Madrid can't comfortably outspend everyone else in world football anymore and that's unacceptable :lol:

Andersons Dietician

This just seems wild, even more so that PSG have turned it down when they are running the risk of losing him for free next year. But just think if he leaves is it possible they move for Ronaldo. Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi in a team. I don’t care how old they both are I kinda want to see it. Might be a disaster but heck it ain’t my money.

MrEleson

From a Madrid POV, you would imagine that even if the player does right now want to come to them, there will be other clubs that might pitch some very attractive offers to him when he's available for free, like us, city, chelsea etc., so perhaps bidding for him now is a means of avoiding getting into that and potentially losing him.
I’m not sure they’re worried about that because by the look of things, he only wants Madrid. It’s a childhood dream.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I've watched and analyzed every PSG game for years in a podcast, and it always was my opinion about Mbappé. He's an amazing player and we'll have a very hard time replacing him (it's actually not possible) but I also know his flaws, what he can do and cannot do and what he wished he could do. As I said, Mbappé is the best limited player in the history of football, which means that he's VERY good. But he's not goat material and will never be.
Everyone and their mother has a podcast and watches games, I still don't think it warrants so much certainty about a player like Mbappe. :p

I think he's a young player who's exploring his game and neither you nor I know what his limitations are. What I do know is pretty much every season he's done better than the previous one, he's added to his game, he still has flaws for sure and inconsistency in certain parts of his game, but I personally think it's dumb to think you know how someone is going to turn out that's already this good and is still only 22. You sound biased against him and underrate him too much IMO.
The weird thing is, Mbappé never managed to create a real bond with supporters in Paris. We love him as a player because he's great, but he's not very liked as a person. Most supporters that go to the Parc de Prince see him as a very distant person, it just never clicked with him the way it did with other players like Pastore for exemple (even if he wasn't as good and was always injured). So to answer your question, i'm not sure it'll be a big shock or if supporters will take it at heart when he goes to Real because it was always bound to happen and he kinda made us feel this way since the day he arrived. We'll miss the player deeply, because he's wonderful, we won't really miss the man though.
This I agree with. Always felt he was bound for Madrid or somewhere else eventually, and personally I'm looking forward to seeing him in a different league, I think it's absolutely bonkers that Madrid would officially put a bid like that one year removed from his contract. If PSG get a replacement, this should get done.

Mr Smith

I think Mbappe should hold out for another year. He holds all the power currently, why move now when he can do so for free in 9 months?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Mbappé is a great player, he'll be good anywhere but he'll be better in teams that match his qualities. If you take Real madrid as an exemple, I think he'll be very good with Benzema but i doubt being the sole striker will suit him that well when Benzema retires. And Real will then need to completely change their style because since Ronaldo, Real is used to crossing a lot, which worked great for them because Benzema and Ronaldo were amazing at finishing close to the goal (both are fantastic headers). Mbappé isn't this kind of player at all.
I get that but Benz still has some left in the tank. And I think Mbappe will be one of a number of ballers they will try to bring in over the next year or two as the current team is full of ancient players. I can only imagine the team will look very different in due course.

Status
Not open for further replies.