g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kylian Mbappe | Signs new PSG contract until 2025, La Liga says they intend to file a complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robaldo

For those wondering why Madrid would pay a high fee for a player whose contract is out next Summer: it's like if you know that a girl / boy is interested in you, but still with their boyfriend / girlfriend, and they have a holiday booked (potentially until 1st July 2022) during which time they could become engaged. Essentially, strike while the iron is HOT.

This feels like the sort of thing that I'd send to a WhatsApp chat rather than post on the Caf.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Everyone and their mother has a podcast and watches games, I still don't think it warrants so much certainty about a player like Mbappe. :p

I think he's a young player who's exploring his game and neither you nor I know what his limitations are. What I do know is pretty much every season he's done better than the previous one, he's added to his game, he still has flaws for sure and inconsistency in certain parts of his game, but I personally think it's dumb to think you know how someone is going to turn out that's already this good and is still only 22. You sound biased against him and underrate him too much IMO.
We'll have to agree to disagree then :). It's my conviction that there's things you can see in a players even at a young age (especially when you start following him closely at 17). The way he kicks the ball when he shoots is one of them, it's just something you have or you don't (some players manage to "snap" the ball when they kick, i don't really know how to explain it). Sure you can improve and he will, but I highly doubt he'll ever be able to score clean 30m shots with accuracy.

I don't underrate him, i've said multiple time it will hurt the team and we won't be able to replace him by another player because he has a tremendous impact for PSG, i just don't think that he's versatile enough to ever be goat material.

Kaos

For those wondering why Madrid would pay a high fee for a player whose contract is out next Summer: it's like if you know that a girl / boy is interested in you, but still with their boyfriend / girlfriend, and they have a holiday booked (potentially until 1st July 2022) during which time they could become engaged. Essentially, strike while the iron is HOT.

This feels like the sort of thing that I'd send to a WhatsApp chat rather than post on the Caf.
More like there's a bunch of handsome blokes going on the same holiday as her next summer and you don't want the competition.

Eddy_JukeZ

We'll have to agree to disagree then :). It's my conviction that there's things you can see in a players even at a young age (especially when you start following him closely at 17). The way he kicks the ball when he shoots is one of them, it's just something you have or you don't (some players manage to "snap" the ball when they kick, i don't really know how to explain it). Sure you can improve and he will, but I highly doubt he'll ever be able to score clean 30m shots with accuracy.

I don't underrate him, i've said multiple time it will hurt the team and we won't be able to replace him by another player because he has a tremendous impact for PSG, i just don't think that he's versatile enough to ever be goat material.
That's not an indictment on Mbappe though.

There's only a few players in history that are that good.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Only one person in history can be that, so I don't think he should be too bothered. I think we can revisit this in a few years and see where things stand. :)

meamth

Come on now, he never really liked England anyway. Said Manchester is always raining, no sun!

Not a Man United player and never will be. You'd expect a lad with Real Madrid posters in his bedroom to go to Madrid.

Haaland however...next season.. :drool:

gorky_utd

Would be interesting to see where does Haaland play next season. Hope Mbappe turns out like Coutinho for Madrid :D .

meamth

Would be interesting to see where does Haaland play next season. Hope Mbappe turns out like Coutinho for Madrid :D .
Different caliber of player.

Mbappe is a functional player, very physically sound.
Coutinho is a luxury player.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think Mbappe should hold out for another year. He holds all the power currently, why move now when he can do so for free in 9 months?
It’s all about player power these day, but if he is half grateful to his club, going this summer would secure some fee to return the faith to a club who had spend huge for him. Plus he got his dream move earlier, which may help him to settle longer prior to WC next year.

Eddy_JukeZ

PSG would be mad not to accept that kind of money. Yes, they don't need the money, but it's way better to receive 160mil+ than zero.

The issue might be finding a suitable replacement this late into the window.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
PSG would be mad not to accept that kind of money. Yes, they don't need the money, but it's way better to receive 160mil+ than zero.

They already have a replacement, he's called Messi.

Eddy_JukeZ

They already have a replacement, he's called Messi.
He's also 34 and won't be at the top forever.

They would need another forward unless they invested heavily in shoring up the LB position and midfield.

AussieDevil

I was half expecting Mbappe, Pogba and Camavinga to all end up at Madrid on a free next season. The Spanish league is Madrids to lose over the next few years.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Don’t particularly like his attitude in general but glad for him he’s trying to leave PSG. He’s stagnated so badly there. He needs to go to a top league where he can be challenge and really establish himself as one of the best players in the world. Not someone who has a handful of meaningful games a season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's also 34 and won't be at the top forever.

They would need another forward unless they invested heavily in shoring up the LB position and midfield.
Even if they buy young top player like Haaland, chance is he won’t stay there longer than 4 or 5 years (ie same as Mbappe). Truth is, no top young player with ambition would want to play in farmers league for rest of their career. While I can see Messi still has around 3 years of top level football in him.

LoneStar

For Madrid, does paying 160m Euros now really outweigh the benefits of getting him on a free next year?

I mean, I understand it will increase commercial income for the club, but 160m more? from one player alone?

Either way I hope, they do get him this summer for that fee....It just means less money for them to spend on other targets we would potentially both be going for in future.
160M for a player on the last year of his contract is bonkers. Perez must be under a lot of pressure and now wants to appease the fans.

Alain-

Don't believe everything that comes from Spanish papers
Fairy tales for fans. As the official version of Messi's transfer.
They can't buy Mbappe
Mbappe doesn't want to go now
They just wanna show their fanbase that they tried
Mbappe will go in 2 or 3 years.....

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
More like there's a bunch of handsome blokes going on the same holiday as her next summer and you don't want the competition.
Nah, those handsome blokes are uglier, dumber and poorer, and she holds no interest in them. It's the boyfriend, and his new dog, that is the threat

But really, you're mostly doing this to get your mother off your back

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
For Madrid, does paying 160m Euros now really outweigh the benefits of getting him on a free next year?

I mean, I understand it will increase commercial income for the club, but 160m more? from one player alone?

Either way I hope, they do get him this summer for that fee....It just means less money for them to spend on other targets we would potentially both be going for in future.
Would you go into a football war with the country with the most reserves of gas and oil just behind Venezuela?

Barcelona knows what I am talking about.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm generally against the transfer, but I think an argument can be made. RM haven't won any titles in two out of the last three seasons, which is pretty bad. They can't just keep accumulating bad seasons without the president suffering from backlash. Players like Modric, Benzema, Kroos are getting older and they've been a bit wasted in the last years; you could argue that with Mbappe there, they might be able to get more from these players' last years.
RM didn't sign anyone last year and have only signed Alaba on a free this year (after losing both Ramos and Varane). They've been very frugal for a wealthy team.

RoyH1

Would you go into a football war with the country with the most reserves of gas and oil just behind Venezuela?

Barcelona knows what I am talking about.
I think PSG (read the state of Qatar) will be furious and seething no matter what.
They have been slowly but surely building their prized PR project, buying players left and right, doing the Jordan partnership thing, they get the icing on the cake with Messi and just when they're one year out from their WC, the best young player in Europe decides to leave them for a bigger draw. A reminder that no matter how much they spend, they're not a historic club.

There is no doubt that Madrid have been whispering sweet somethings in his ears for years now. No way a prideful, arrogant bloke like Al-Khelaifi forgets that. He's going to go at Madrid hard, both with transfers/wages and UEFA punishment for the Super League things.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Real Madrid are a fecking circus :houllier:, crying they bleed money and wanting to spend that much money on a player who has 1 year left on his contract and who will almost guarantee join them next season.

Don't believe everything that comes from Spanish papers
Fairy tales for fans. As the official version of Messi's transfer.
They can't buy Mbappe
Mbappe doesn't want to go now
They just wanna show their fanbase that they tried
Mbappe will go in 2 or 3 years.....
In your dreams he doesn't wanna go now. Why would he join them in 2-3 years when at worst, he'll do that next year ?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Either they'll agree a deal now or he'll go for free at end of contract to Real Madrid.

I'm surprised Real bidding so high to be honest. Guess is meta game for their future dealings with PSG. Should just put a derisory one in and sign him on pre contract for zero in January.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I think PSG (read the state of Qatar) will be furious and seething no matter what.
They have been slowly but surely building their prized PR project, buying players left and right, doing the Jordan partnership thing, they get the icing on the cake with Messi and just when they're one year out from their WC, the best young player in Europe decides to leave them for a bigger draw. A reminder that no matter how much they spend, they're not a historic club.

There is no doubt that Madrid have been whispering sweet somethings in his ears for years now. No way a prideful, arrogant bloke like Al-Khelaifi forgets that. He's going to go at Madrid hard, both with transfers/wages and UEFA punishment for the Super League things.

There's something that I can't really put my finger on in this whole story. Perez is scared of Nasser because his companies do a lot of construction work in Qatar and he could pretty much lose billions in contracts was he to piss the Emir off. I don't really understand why he'd put a "public" offer like that if there wasn't an agreement with PSG before hand.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
There's something that I can't really put my finger on in this whole story. Perez is scared of Nasser because his companies do a lot of construction work in Qatar and he could pretty much lose billions in contracts was he to piss the Emir off. I don't really understand why he'd put a "public" offer like that if there wasn't an agreement with PSG before hand.
Spot on.

RoyH1

If this is true, then the media is really making a big circus out of something that the parties had an agreement on.

Giggsyking

Qatar. Yes 160m for them is like Zero. They are not a football club, just a PR machine.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If this is true, then the media is really making a big circus out of something that the parties had an agreement on.
Well the thing is, even if they agreed on something, it would either be on Mbappe's transfer or on a "fake" offer just for show until they get him next year for free. It's sort of a win win win situation. Mbappe looks desired, PSG look strong and Real look like they tried, which buy them time in case this season is not good.

We need an rvn

From a Real perspective its baffling business. Just wait a year.
Agreed, but if you take loan players returning, Real have only signed Alaba this season. This comes after their first trophy-less season in over a decade.

Simply not acceptable at Madrid so they almost need to make a statement signing to appease the fans and boost the team. I'm saying as in how Real have acted in the transfer market in the past, plus what Madrid fans seem to demand.

From a financial perspective, it's crazy spending €160m on a player at any time in my opinion. Spending €160m on a player with 1 year left is, as you said, baffling - specially considering their stadium makeover etc.

LoneStar

What exactly are Mbappe's limitations? Someone called him the best limited player of all time. I don't watch him often, so genuinely curious.

Alain-

What exactly are Mbappe's limitations? Someone called him the best limited player of all time. I don't watch him often, so genuinely curious.
Mbappe has something in common with Messi and Ronaldo, whenever he has the ball the audience holds their breath because something magical can happen ... like his goal vs Germany at the Euro offside but nobody knows before VAR

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe they shouldn't have bought a club in France. Did no one explain this to them or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.