La Liga 2018/19

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He called the refs mother a whore! It was a personal insult and then you're blaming the ref for taking it personally.

Yes, I've played football and other sports. I've also reffed kids game and been abused - mainly because these kids take their cue from brats like Costa.

Football's is the world's greatest sport but this is one of its greatest failures. Its ludicrously stupid to think other sports have less pressure or importance. Take rugby: a broadly similar high-octane team sport where refs are respected no matter the level of competition.

Its only a common feature in football because scumbags like Diego Costa have been able to get away with it. Just need to send a few more players like this, footballers will wise up and the game will be in a better place for it.
I couldn't agree more. It is actually a very straightforward thing to deal with.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Of course it's not a personal insult, when you call someone a son of a bitch it's just a generic insult, not something to be taken literally as insulting the person's mother...

It's not ludicrously stupid to think other sports have less pressure or importance. Football is the only sport in the world that's as big as religion. It's not the same as other sports, at least for a lot of cultures.

Just like players need thick skin to deal with the pressure and abuse involved, so do the referees. If they can't take it then they won't be as good as they should be. Obviously there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, but a referee needs to have the common sense to understand he's part of the game and he's there to manage it, not to be above all of it. In a big game like this, that should never happen. Killing a football match and a whole season of matches because of something like that is ridiculous. If the ref deemed it serious, should have been a yellow and a harsh talk with the player and then send him off if he repeats it. Not get him off the pitch at the first go, especially when everyone watching knows that if the game is at the Wanda Metropolitano or if it was Suarez doing the same at Camp Nou then the ref never has the balls to pull that off.
Again, it is a personal insult, our language is vast in ways to curse, and even some expressions can look personal or not depending on the effort or the emphasis you put in the curse, not the words. You can call anyone "Hijo de puta" and 99% of the time it would be shrugged off, but if you say "eres un hijo de puta" or "hijo de la gran puta", you're using the same insult but putting effort on, making it personal.

"Tu madre" is a common curse, and probably no one would eject you for saying that
"La madre que te pario" is a little more intense, you probably just get a yellow, a red if you're on the bad side of Mateu Lahoz
"Tu puta madre" enters realm of 50/50, your're testing the ref patience, you'd probably be sent off if you are looking at him while saying it.
"La puta madre que te pario" merges two curses, with two articles poiting at a single individual, it's pretty much as personal as you can get in Spanish by using less than 10 words.

Even Simeone said that if that's what Costa said, the ref did the right call, Costa version says that the ref misheard "te" (you) for "me" (me in English to), that's another whole topic. If you believe what he said is no biggie, next time you're in Spain use that expression seldom and see what happens.

wr8_utd

:'(
Of course it's not a personal insult, when you call someone a son of a bitch it's just a generic insult, not something to be taken literally as insulting the person's mother...

It's not ludicrously stupid to think other sports have less pressure or importance. Football is the only sport in the world that's as big as religion. It's not the same as other sports, at least for a lot of cultures.

Just like players need thick skin to deal with the pressure and abuse involved, so do the referees. If they can't take it then they won't be as good as they should be. Obviously there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, but a referee needs to have the common sense to understand he's part of the game and he's there to manage it, not to be above all of it. In a big game like this, that should never happen. Killing a football match and a whole season of matches because of something like that is ridiculous. If the ref deemed it serious, should have been a yellow and a harsh talk with the player and then send him off if he repeats it. Not get him off the pitch at the first go, especially when everyone watching knows that if the game is at the Wanda Metropolitano or if it was Suarez doing the same at Camp Nou then the ref never has the balls to pull that off.
Pique has gotten sent off for abusing the ref in a game vs Bilbao so yeah it kind of goes against the narrative and agenda you're trying to show here of big club bias.

wr8_utd

The extent of the defender's rant was later revealed by referee Velasco Carballo's post-match notes, in which he wrote: “In the 55th minute, the player (3) Piqué Bernabéu, Gerard was sent off for the following reason: screaming at the assistant referee: ‘I s--- on your whore mother.
This is exactly the same as what Costa has said and yet @Peyroteo is on here since yesterday trying to make it look it's something that's only happened because it's Barcelona.

wr8_utd

Having watched the match last night, and also the Newcastle United v Crystal Palace match, one thing I did notice was there were two instances of fouls with elbows. The first was Benteke who was jumping for the ball therefore he had to use his arms as leverage. It was an unfortunate accident and Benteke; by the rules of the game should have received either a yellow, or a red, depending on the referees interpretation.

However, in the Atletico Madrid v Barcelona match last night, I think the referee did have a shocking start to the game and Madrid should have been a man down earlier than expected. Clement Lenglet has the ball near the line and Diego Costa comes charging in and instead of using his shoulder or body to barge Lenglet over, somehow he managed to connect his elbow to the face of Lenglet. This was clearly no "unfortunate accident", we have to call it out on what it really was; a deliberate attempt to injure a player when it was unnecessary to do so. The referees assistant only flagged, the referee clearly made no attempt to call for VAR to validate his decision but in the end, no yellow card was given. You could say that the referee gave Costa the benefit of the doubt.

With all that being said, I am guessing that the referee reflected on his decision on not giving either a yellow/red card to Costa, by trying to even it up later on should there be an occasion. It didn't take long as we all know, most Spanish referees have thick skins and get abused all the time. I am sure that he was waiting for that particular moment and Costa obliged. The only person Atletico Madrid fans should be blaming is Costa himself, and not the referee (in spite of the fact he made an error of not sending Costa off earlier for a deliberate elbow which is red card worthy.)
That Costa elbow on Lenglet could easily have been a red. It was a yellow at the very least.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Again, it is a personal insult, our language is vast in ways to curse, and even some expressions can look personal or not depending on the effort or the emphasis you put in the curse, not the words. You can call anyone "Hijo de puta" and 99% of the time it would be shrugged off, but if you say "eres un hijo de puta" or "hijo de la gran puta", you're using the same insult but putting effort on, making it personal.

"Tu madre" is a common curse, and probably no one would eject you for saying that
"La madre que te pario" is a little more intense, you probably just get a yellow, a red if you're on the bad side of Mateu Lahoz
"Tu puta madre" enters realm of 50/50, your're testing the ref patience, you'd probably be sent off if you are looking at him while saying it.
"La puta madre que te pario" merges two curses, with two articles poiting at a single individual, it's pretty much as personal as you can get in Spanish by using less than 10 words.

Even Simeone said that if that's what Costa said, the ref did the right call, Costa version says that the ref misheard "te" (you) for "me" (me in English to), that's another whole topic. If you believe what he said is no biggie, next time you're in Spain use that expression seldom and see what happens.
I'm aware of all of that, I'm portuguese. It's the same.

I mean that it's not personal because he's obviously not trying to offend the ref on a personal level... just complaining in the heat of the moment. It's not the same as using the same expression outside of a football pitch.

I've called referees every name under the sun and was never sent off for it. Insulting the ref lets them have the power of making a decision and it's such an unregulated part of the sport they can do whatever they want with it, from ignoring it, giving a yellow or giving a red. They have to manage the game and he did a terrible job of it yesterday, I can't say it's a bad decision because he's well within his power to do what he did but imo it's the decision of a bad referee.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
This is exactly the same as what Costa has said and yet @Peyroteo is on here since yesterday trying to make it look it's something that's only happened because it's Barcelona.
Then I'm doing a terrible job of it by literally saying the exact same happened in other games with other teams.

Two weeks ago after the exact same thing happened in Benfica vs Dinamo Zagreb, I wrote this here:

Red after two yellows for protest for Zagreb because the ref has too much pride to understand the emotions of a high profile game.
It doesn't happen because it's Barcelona, it's entirely dependant on the circumstances of it though as it gives the referee way too much power by allowing him to do everything inbetween completely ignoring the player or sending him off depending on how his mood is like. A lot easier to send off an Atletico player than a Barcelona player at the Camp Nou in a game like this. That's obvious. It has nothing to do with the actual club. Same way that Atletico will have a lot more decisions going their way at home. Sending off Pique in a meaningless game isn't the same.

Real Madrid and Barcelona players complain and insult referees more than anyone. Is there one example of a Barcelona or Real Madrid player being sent off for the same reason in a match as big as this?

During the Mourinho years they stopped short of killing the ref and still the refs had enough common sense to understand it was part of the game.

Last edited:

Cladistics_Fan

That Costa elbow on Lenglet could easily have been a red. It was a yellow at the very least.
This is what I alluded to in my post that you quoted. The way I see it, it is a bit like when a referee give a penalty for a dive, realises that he made a mistake and tries to make amends by; should the occasion arise; give a penalty to the other side just to even things up.

I watched the action in real time and in slow motion, and the ebow that sent Lenglet flying was clearly no accident of any kind. It was deliberate and it was a shame that the referee didn't consult his linesman or vice-versa. The fact that Costa didn't receive a yellow card for that demonstration of thuggery just goes to show how bad the referee was in that game. With that being said, he knew that he had to even it up now, because if Costa had scored, then it would have been controversial (since he should have received a straight red for the deliberate elbow. I am guessing that if Costa hadn't used his elbow, he might just have got a yellow for the verbal abuse, and that would have been the end of it.

So, when they say that the referee totally changed the match by sending off Costa, he most certainly did. Costa got away with elbowing a player and got away with it, and got a "get out of jail free", card. When he finally got sent off, the referee had to take everything into consideration i.e. the deliberate elbow and the verbal abuse received and decided that it was no longer worth it having such a hostile player playing in a big game.

wr8_utd

Then I'm doing a terrible job of it by literally saying the exact same happened in other games with other teams.

Two weeks ago after the exact same thing happened in Benfica vs Dinamo Zagreb, I wrote this here:

It doesn't happen because it's Barcelona, it's entirely dependant on the circumstances of it though as it gives the referee way too much power by allowing him to do everything inbetween completely ignoring the player or sending him off depending on how his mood is like. A lot easier to send off an Atletico player than a Barcelona player at the Camp Nou in a game like this. That's obvious. It has nothing to do with the actual club. Same way that Atletico will have a lot more decisions going their way at home. Sending off Pique in a meaningless game isn't the same.

Real Madrid and Barcelona players complain and insult referees more than anyone. Is there one example of a Barcelona or Real Madrid player being sent off for the same reason in a match as big as this?

During the Mourinho years they stopped short of killing the ref and still the refs had enough common sense to understand it was part of the game.
I'm sorry but if a player is going to get that person and as vile in their abuse as both Pique and Costa did, I find that red card, irrespective of the occasion or magnitude of the game, a fair decision. Whether it's Classico or a game against Rayo at home, if you can be that vile you deserve what you get.

I'd also have no issues if Suarez started getting banned too if and when he crosses the limits like Pique and Costa did. As the post above by @Ishdalar explains, it's just not acceptable what Costa (and Pique in the past) have said.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I'm sorry but if a player is going to get that person and as vile in their abuse as both Pique and Costa did, I find that red card, irrespective of the occasion or magnitude of the game, a fair decision. Whether it's Classico or a game against Rayo at home, if you can be that vile you deserve what you get.
That's a different argument though. If it was applied like that every time a player insulted the ref I'd have no problem with the decision.

As it stands the ref has the freedom to make whatever call he chooses to make, from completely ignoring it to sending a player off.

VP

This is ridiculous.

So you're saying Diego Costa swore at the ref because of the intense pressure only football creates? This wasn't even a penalty decision. He was arguing about a trivial decision in the middle of a fairly trivial game (league is almost over).

It's quite simple really: if anyone abuses the ref, send him off. Apply that consistently and people will stop doing it, just like how stricter refereeing has eliminated two-footed tackles.

I don't know how anyone can think dissent adds anything to the game. Or as a rabid Ronaldo fanboy do you simply enjoy a bit of petulance?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
This is ridiculous.

So you're saying Diego Costa swore at the ref because of the intense pressure only football creates? This wasn't even a penalty decision. He was arguing about a trivial decision in the middle of a fairly trivial game (league is almost over).

It's quite simple really: if anyone abuses the ref, send him off. Apply that consistently and people will stop doing it, just like how stricter refereeing has eliminated two-footed tackles.

I don't know how anyone can think dissent adds anything to the game. Or as a rabid Ronaldo fanboy do you simply enjoy a bit of petulance?
You throw every abuse imaginable at my comments, at Mourinho or at Ronaldo during matches and you're talking to me about how dissent doesn't add anything to the game? :lol: You more than anyone should be aware of the emotion a football game causes.

The culture of the game is entirely different to a sport like rugby, especially in southern Europe and South America.

If it was applied consistently and they sent off every single player that did it I'd have no problem with it. The problem I have with it is they don't and just pick and choose when to do it.

Last edited:

purgethefallen

That's absolute balderdash.

Plenty of sports are multi-million £/$ "industries" but it is only football that allows it's players to harass/abuse referees. The authorities really need to crack down on this sort of thing for a few years to eradicate it and move to what other sports allow, e.g., only the captain can talk to the ref. Unfortunately, I don't think there's the will from football authorities to stamp this out.

Bole Top

personally, I don't give a shit about consistency as long as referees do the right thing. Costa insults him - he gets red, it's that simple and that's should be done every time a player does the same thing. just because certain referees are afraid to do the same doesn't make yesterday's decision wrong. they represent authority on the pitch, not the players, and they shouldn't be under pressure to tolerate insults from players. doesn't matter whether it's Costa or Messi, whether it's the first minute of WC final or 93. minute of friendly game. you insult referee's mother, you feck off from the pitch.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
That's absolute balderdash.

Plenty of sports are multi-million £/$ "industries" but it is only football that allows it's players to harass/abuse referees. The authorities really need to crack down on this sort of thing for a few years to eradicate it and move to what other sports allow, e.g., only the captain can talk to the ref. Unfortunately, I don't think there's the will from football authorities to stamp this out.
I'm talking about how the rules are currently applied, not how they should be applied.

I'm in favour of sending off players for insulting the ref as long as it applies to absolutely everyone. That's not how it works today though.

As it's currently applied with refs only sending off players for abuse only when they feel like it then they need to be able to take it in these big moments and have some common sense instead of ruining the game to protect their egos.

Cladistics_Fan

I'm talking about how the rules are currently applied, not how they should be applied.

I'm in favour of sending off players for insulting the ref as long as it applies to absolutely everyone. That's not how it works today though.

As it's currently applied with refs only sending off players for abuse only when they feel like it then they need to be able to take it in these big moments and have some common sense instead of ruining the game to protect their egos.
@Peyroteo The referee ruined the game when he allowed Costa to get away with a deliberate elbow a good 15 minutes earlier on Clement Lenglet. This is what you actually fail to address and you are just concentrating on the abuse that Costa gave to the referee. I am pretty certain that most posters here who watched the match in its entirety (regardless of who they like in La Liga) are in agreement that Costa should have seen a red a great deal earlier. If Costa had scored in between the time he deliberately elbowed Lenglet and the moment he was sent off in the 28th minute, don't you think that the Barcelona players and fans would have felt somehow aggrieved? I think so yes, but I am pretty certain in my mind he gave a red card simply because of the elbow (which Costa got away with) and also the personal abuse that was aimed at the referee. Diego Costa cannot have any complaints at all, considering his history.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
@Peyroteo The referee ruined the game when he allowed Costa to get away with a deliberate elbow a good 15 minutes earlier on Clement Lenglet. This is what you actually fail to address and you are just concentrating on the abuse that Costa gave to the referee. I am pretty certain that most posters here who watched the match in its entirety (regardless of who they like in La Liga) are in agreement that Costa should have seen a red a great deal earlier. If Costa had scored in between the time he deliberately elbowed Lenglet and the moment he was sent off in the 28th minute, don't you think that the Barcelona players and fans would have felt somehow aggrieved? I think so yes, but I am pretty certain in my mind he gave a red card simply because of the elbow (which Costa got away with) and also the personal abuse that was aimed at the referee. Diego Costa cannot have any complaints at all, considering his history.
I'm talking the ref abuse, not what happened earlier or for the rest of the game. Ref made a lot of mistakes throughout. Imo that elbow wasn't a red card, it should have been a yellow. The idea that the ref knew it was a red card, decided not to give it only to purposefully make up for it 10 minutes later is nonsensical.

Barcelona win the league no matter what happened yesterday, I'm arguing in general. It's a joke how much the ref decisions vary from game to game and from referee to referee when being insulted by players. It's entirely dependent on the mood of the ref and the teams at play rather than following the rules.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Oh noes, poor Costa, the tension and importance of the game led to the tirade, nothing to do with the utter bellend that he is. Must be why he's been a cnut on the pitch for years as well.
:lol:

VP

You throw every abuse imaginable at my comments, at Mourinho or at Ronaldo during matches and you're talking to me about how dissent doesn't add anything to the game? Mate, is there anyone more full of hatred in this entire place? You more than anyone should be aware of the emotion a football game causes.

The culture of the game is entirely different to a sport like rugby, especially in southern Europe and South America.

If it was applied consistently and they sent off every single player that did it I'd have no problem with it. The problem I have with it is they don't and just pick and choose when to do it.
No hatred at all. But being abusive isn't nice, right? that's what i wanted to point out

Football culture is different but it can change.

Agree about the consistency. Its not fair but most rules are inconsistently applied.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Caparros announced he has leukemia. Sigh.:( Ánimo leyenda.
Ah that's really sad especially after Berrizo last year. Thought he was showing his age on the touchline last few Sevilla games. Is he stepping down now or well enough to continue to end of the season?

Best wishes anyway.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lo Celso such a good player.

If he really is not wanted at PSG he wouldn't be the worst option for Manchester United tbh. I rate him pretty highly.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Lo Celso such a good player.

If he really is not wanted at PSG he wouldn't be the worst option for Manchester United tbh. I rate him pretty highly.
Barca, Real, Arsenal, Tottenham are all linked to him.

A terrific player imo.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Ah that's really sad especially after Berrizo last year. Thought he was showing his age on the touchline last few Sevilla games. Is he stepping down now or well enough to continue to end of the season?

Best wishes anyway.
I don't know... It seems he is suffering the chronical type of blood cancer, which does not necessarily mean that he will be in constant discomfort or difficulties. However, I am not sure if it will be possible for him to continue. Considering the stress a football manager has to endure in a everyday-life of the job, I can't see him risk his health to continue. We'll see tomorrow.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Havent Betis got a buy option for 40m? I would take him here for that price
I believe so and they'll activate that clause. That's what I remember reading anyway.

Also, despite a slow start, Canales has been magnificent for Betis. I've been very impressed with Lo Celso but Canales has been just as good, in my opinion.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

Red card differential in La Liga in the past 5 years:

Barcelona (+27) 36-9

Atletico (+2) 19-17

Real Madrid (-3) 16-19

How is that even possible? :lol:

Don't mean it in a conspiracy sort of way before Barca fans get on my back but how does it happen? I understand Madrid and Atletico get more red cards because they probably have more aggressive players but why does the opposition get sent off a lot more often against Barca? They play against 10 men every 5 games.
Very dirty-minded Peyro.
That's because they attack a lot, constantly, and they have to be stopped brutally. For the same reason they used to get so many penalties.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I believe so and they'll activate that clause. That's what I remember reading anyway.

Also, despite a slow start, Canales has been magnificent for Betis. I've been very impressed with Lo Celso but Canales has been just as good, in my opinion.
Only just realised the other day they loaned Inui out to Alaves where he's popped up with a few goals. Surprised he didn't make more impact at Betis given their issues in the final third.

wr8_utd

When you consider that Barca have had Messi and Neymar and those are two of the most fouled players for top clubs around Europe, it's hardly a surprise opponents get so many red cards. The two of them are among the finest dribblers around and quite often (as we see with Madrid vs Messi), fouling them seems to be the only way to ever stop them.
As for Madrid having so many reds, well, there's Ramos :lol:

Suarez having such few or zero reds is very surprising though and it's something he has gotten away with for most of his career. For a man of such indiscipline, referee abuse and biting abilities, he's rarely ever gotten any red cards through his career.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Very dirty-minded Peyro.
That's because they attack a lot, constantly, and they have to be stopped brutally. For the same reason they used to get so many penalties.
When you consider that Barca have had Messi and Neymar and those are two of the most fouled players for top clubs around Europe, it's hardly a surprise opponents get so many red cards.
Fouls won per game in La Liga in the last 5 years:

Barcelona - 14.58
Real Madrid - 13.86

Red cards for the opponent in La Liga in the past 5 years:

Barcelona - 36
Real Madrid - 16

In the past 5 years, Barcelona ends up playing 1 in 5 games against 10 men. I don't think there are any corruption conspiracies, they're just the best team I've seen when it comes to influencing referee decisions. And I mean that as a compliment.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal
Is there anything to Casemiro being benched 2x in the 3 games after his suspension?
I don´t think so. One game Llorente played and the next Valverde. It seems that these weeks he wants to test all the players and there were many changes in the team. Almost all have been on the bench

Eric7C

Fouls won per game in La Liga in the last 5 years:

Barcelona - 14.58
Real Madrid - 13.86

Red cards for the opponent in La Liga in the past 5 years:

Barcelona - 36
Real Madrid - 16

In the past 5 years, Barcelona ends up playing 1 in 5 games against 10 men. I don't think there are any corruption conspiracies, they're just the best team I've seen when it comes to influencing referee decisions. And I mean that as a compliment.
I am not a Barca fan, but most of their players have the kind of close control that draws more fouls. And they have Messi, who probably has the best close control in the history of the game. Madrid, as good as they are (were), they just don't have those kind of players nor do they play that kind of a keep-ball game.

Bole Top

it's worth mentioning the fact that Barca are rather soft team, they don't really have thugs in their first 11 neither they are coached to kick the shit out of opponent like Atletico. who's gonna get red carded there? Messi? Rakitic? Busquets?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
it's worth mentioning the fact that Barca are rather soft team, they don't really have thugs in their first 11 neither they are coached to kick the shit out of opponent like Atletico. who's gonna get red carded there? Messi? Rakitic? Busquets?
Luis Suarez? The likes of Kaka and Bale were sent off more often for Madrid than Suarez for Barcelona.

The difference in red cards received is understandable though, Atletico are thugs and Madrid have more dirty players. What's weird is the huge difference in red cards given to the opposition.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

According to COPE, decision will come out tomorrow and Diego Costa will serve an 8 match suspension for insulting the ref :lol:

Are they tring to make an example out of him? What a weird decision.