La Liga 2019/20

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Atletico could finish this gameweek in 7th place if both Valencia and Real Sociedad win. Horrible season for them

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Who would have thought pre-season games don't mean shit and Atletico wasn't gonna smash Madrid by 7 goals in a real game uh?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Zidane has to be the best manager ever at adapting the team halfway through a game.

This team needs Hazard so badly it's incredible though. No clue how they've been winning games with this attack and these performances but they always seem to find way regardless of how they're playing. The likes of Casemiro, Varane and Nacho getting important goals has carried them through this period.
Zidane completely fecked up the call up for the game and the initial lineup, and even worse, he went with one he'd already tried with poor results just 3 weeks ago. Just :houllier:

The fixes were as obvious as they were needed

Still, what really changed the game was Morata coming off. Once again Atleti had their chances in the first half and blew them. They just can't finish to save their lives

Re: Hazard. Actually we have a pretty good backup there in Vini, it's just that for whatever reason Zidane hasn't used him that way :houllier:

True enough about our recent run of games in 2019, we've won games while barely creating anything(and both getafe and atletico today had chances), though in fairness we've also had a couple inexplicable draws this season

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:
Yes, the best Madrid in defense from 1989 I think, but probably thanks to Mendy, Varane and Carvajal :D
And after today's game it's the best Madrid in defense ever. 13 goals against in 22 games.

Only Ramos was capable of doing it :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Real Madrid will win the league, on a very nice run of form now after dodgy early season results. Success for Zidane in coming back (don't think they'll have enough in CL though).

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Real Madrid will win the league, on a very nice run of form now after dodgy early season results. Success for Zidane in coming back (don't think they'll have enough in CL though).
I'd say Hazard coming back and the form he'll be in will quickly let us know whether they have a shot at the Cl or not.
Peak Hazard added on to this side could definitely win it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, for all that we do concede a bit and aren't particularly difficult to attack, we really are extremely good at defending the box. Teams rarely create much of anything against us and when they do there's Courtois who's having a great season

Even today Atletico had the one big chance with Correa. Valladolid and Sevilla created next to nothing, and over the last couple months only getafe and valencia actually troubled our defence in the league

We are simply one of the best defensive sides in the world. If our attack can kick into a higher gear with the return of Hazard without compromising the defence, we can win the CL. And in a pinch, we can rely on Zidane's garden

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid
Mendy is rock solid in defense. Varane and Ramos both are super concentrated almost every game. This used to happen only in CL elimination rounds. Otherwise you should expect one of them to have a day off...
Add to this Casemiro with his godlike form this season, the young Valverde who has lungs to make sprints forward, backward and sideways for 90 minutes, Kroos is trying to cover spaces, there is no Ronaldo anymore and instead Hazard/VJ/Isco is covering up the left wing, Bale/Rodrygo/LV are also very disciplined on the right side under Zidane.
And there you have it.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool are gonna demolish Atletico in 2 weeks time :houllier:
I don't particularly rate Atletico this season but they had many players out today. I expect them to raise their level if they manage to recover from this problem.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't particularly rate Atletico this season but they had many players out today. I expect them to raise their level if they manage to recover from this problem.
That, and their main issue all season long has been finishing. The defence is still the best in the world by some distance.

It's an interesting matchup because liverpool lack the weapons to break down atletico's defence(multiple elite dribblers, particularly in wide areas and half-channels, or at least an unstoppable one like Messi/Neymar) while on the other hand they're dominating the most duel-focused league in the world and are built specifically for it, and atletico rely almost entirely on duels

Fitness(obviously), duels and set pieces will be the keys to the tie

Bole Top

Barca's already thin squad got even worse. 15 senior players available today + Alena, Todibo and Perez loaned out now. they will obviously win today, but could really suffer on all three fronts long term and they were open to selling Rakitic as well. there's very few quality options on the bench now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Getafe having another amazing season. Thought they'd drop off a fair bit with europa league but think they've got even more points than they did this time last year.

I assume Bordalas will get bigger job next season as La Liga always better at giving their home grown managers bigger jobs than in premier league.

Bole Top

spectacular assist from Messi but pretty boring game so far. almost a friendly match.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
2 goals from Fati, Messi with both assists. Especially the first pass was great.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Setien has the team attacking a lot more instead of passing sideways all the time

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
spectacular assist from Messi but pretty boring game so far. almost a friendly match.
At Camp Nou the record is 16 wins in 16 games for Barca with a 57-10 GD. Might be one of the least interesting match-ups in all of football.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
An extremely perfunctory 3 points.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I feel a bit sorry for him, considering that he had depression problems in England and that perhaps Atleti was his escape. Casemiro's face when they sing...:D
"Ay morata ay morata, you never wanted to see it,you were always a reserve, rot in Wanda"
"Morata,you are very bad"
"Morata is a rat"(unbeatable name for that rhyme)
Morata said "I don't give a feck"

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Abidal said about Valverde's departure "many players were not satisfied nor worked too much" and Messi replies.
Let's see if all the shit comes out :drool:
"I honestly don't like doing these things but I think everyone has to be responsible for their tasks and take care of their decisions.
The players of what happens in the field, and we are also the first to recognize when we were not well.
Those responsible for the area of sports management must also assume their responsibilities and above all, take charge of the decisions they make. Finally, when talking about players you have to give names because otherwise we are all getting dirty and feeding things that are said and are not true."

Johnny Love

Abidal said about Valverde's departure "many players were not satisfied nor worked too much" and Messi replies.
Let's see if all the shit comes out :drool:
"I honestly don't like doing these things but I think everyone has to be responsible for their tasks and take care of their decisions.
The players of what happens in the field, and we are also the first to recognize when we were not well.
Those responsible for the area of sports management must also assume their responsibilities and above all, take charge of the decisions they make. Finally, when talking about players you have to give names because otherwise we are all getting dirty and feeding things that are said and are not true."
Messi is 100% right though, Abidal threw that out there without any specifics inviting media to just speculate and star rumours. Maybe that was his intention. Considering the way they've mismanaged assets and funds the last few years, Abidal, management and that whole board only have to look in the mirror to find the culprit for this whole situation.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Messi is 100% right though, Abidal threw that out there without any specifics inviting media to just speculate and star rumours. Maybe that was his intention. Considering the way they've mismanaged assets and funds the last few years, Abidal, management and that whole board only have to look in the mirror to find the culprit for this whole situation.
Yes, he did what a captain has to do in that situation, and as you said, the board is making debatable decisions.
Last week Rakitic said there had been things he didn't like. That is, they had treated him like crap.
I don't understand very well what they have done with the Masía. Carles Pérez to Rome, Abel Ruiz to Braga.
They can bring them back but I did not expect inmediately after Setién arrived, unless he had asked for it.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Stuani is the main candidate to replace Dembélé

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I was surprised he stayed at Girona considering how good his scoring record was in La Liga last two seasons and scoring plenty in Seguna (lovely lob over keeper at the weekend to win the game).

He is obviously no sort of replacement for Dembele though as he can play out wide but much better centrally and scores most of his goals from crosses.

Could be a decent plan B option. Barca could also play Greizmann centrally...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
BTW loving watching Mirandes play in Copa Del Rey, amazed they're only mid table in Segunda. Guess they're peaking for Copa but two decent La Liga teams they've outplayed at home.

Bole Top

it's only 3 points, but Madrid are the favorites right now given the meltdown in Barca. they are down to 15 senior players available and it's only february. they can't rotate much and Fati shouldn't even be asked to play every week for someone who only recently turned 17. they were also actively looking to get rid of Rakitic and Arsenal were apparently pushing for Umtiti until the last moments. for the first time I'm starting to think there's something in those rumours about their financial problems because I simply refuse to believe their board is that stupid. even Ole wouldn't do that, you simply can't compete with such a thin squad on all fronts.

anyway, it will be very interesting tonight vs Bilbao.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
it's only 3 points, but Madrid are the favorites right now given the meltdown in Barca. they are down to 15 senior players available and it's only february. they can't rotate much and Fati shouldn't even be asked to play every week for someone who only recently turned 17. they were also actively looking to get rid of Rakitic and Arsenal were apparently pushing for Umtiti until the last moments. for the first time I'm starting to think there's something in those rumours about their financial problems because I simply refuse to believe their board is that stupid. even Ole wouldn't do that, you simply can't compete with such a thin squad on all fronts.

anyway, it will be very interesting tonight vs Bilbao.
No, their board is truly this stupid.

If they had real financial issues they would’ve sold rakitic and umtiti for the cash. Both are declining

Last time we had this much trouble was January 2015. We went on to win the trouble.

But this year is a much crappier squad so I agree, Madrid should be the favorites

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You can tell Casemiro isn't playing and Valverde is not a holding midfielder :lol:

Also Militao isn't exactly covering himself in glory here...