La Liga 2019/20

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
And once again, Valencia haven’t lost at home in nine months. Not the best performance by any means, but no one else has winning here in almost a year

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
“There are some things that the players still do not interpret well or we may not explain them well. Nobody likes what we've seen today. We have a lot of things to do. Positionally there are things to correct because we have given many meaningless passes."

At least Setien is able to criticize the performance unlike Valverde who would say “we were unfortunate to concede” and have some excuse and not take any accountability

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
haha, I loved reading that.
Very old and tough opinion in the middle of the hype.
Imagine that in the end we sign Van de Beek and he turns out to be the good Dutch.
I am not sure that it is a problem of individual technique or an inmediate future where he flops.
I have seen him misplaced and perhaps sometimes overcome,although I do not look at the performances of the players of Barcelona, nor do I analyze them as I do with those of Madrid.
Besides,as has been said,he is too similar to Busquets.I don't see natural a midfield with both.It's like Madrid playing with 2 Toni Kroos.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
haha, I loved reading that.
Very old and tough opinion in the middle of the hype.
Imagine that in the end we sign Van de Beek and he turns out to be the good Dutch.
I am not sure that it is a problem of individual technique or an inmediate future where he flops.
I have seen him misplaced and perhaps sometimes overcome,although I do not look at the performances of the players of Barcelona, nor do I analyze them as I do with those of Madrid.
Besides,as has been said,he is too similar to Busquets.I don't see natural a midfield with both.It's like Madrid playing with 2 Toni Kroos.
I disagree with his take completely. FDJ has easily been our best midfielder this season. By a wide margin. Today was arguably his first game of the season where you could say he was crap.

He needs to be played as a 6, but for some reason Barca keeps forcing him to be more of a attacking midfielder which isn’t his role. He should be in Busquets position.

Fdj was a homerun signing and unlike Griezmann, Frankie can still flourish despite being played out of position. He might honestly be the least of my
Worries on this team after Messi and ter stegen.

I feel worse for Griezmann who has been played out of position all year.

Despite a bad performance today at least the new manager is aware of the problems and admits to them publicly. But it’s going to take time to fix thirst team and seeing as how CL and playing you lot happens in about a months time time isn’t on our side.

I do genuinely think we’ll be fine in the long run. But FDJ has been fantastic, Barca are just trying to force him to be much more of an attacking player than he actually is.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As i said Setien is a worse version of Sarri - very stubborn manager who doesnt adapt to the qualities of his players and wants them to adapt to his ideas only..He will fail and will fail miserably there':smirk:
That's the opposite of Sarri :confused:
Indeed. His firing was one of the most classless things I’ve seen the board of a major club do.
But Setién has the right “philosophy “ I suppose. How many million passes did they do today?
Long may it continue :lol:

They're so enamored with it nobita has been able to use it to shield his own failures. Long live Nobita :lol:
Appointing setien might have been the wrong choice. I think his Betis side is vastly overrated. Regardless, sacking Valverde was the right decision.

Barca should start with only two of Busquets, de jong, Arthur (and Rakitic). Starting three of them is a sure way for disaster.
Barca should sign another Vidal and start only one of those guys right now actually. Van de Beek would be perfect for them i think

Sacking Valverde was the right decision last summer. Now? It was just classless and dumb. Sign of poor management. Long live Nobita!
I don't even think this is about the manager. People just massively underestimate what Suarez does to that Barcelona attack, not just the importance of his end product but the spaces he opens up for others and the dynamic he brings.
Their problem is with both Suarez and Messi they can't press effectively, which means they have to do more positional defending, which means corrupting their pure style that is the only acceptable way to win. Or something

Btw, this was just one game away against a very good team(missing their beating heart and best player by miles, but let's just ignore this) in one of the toughest stadiums in Spain

Ban

Indeed. His firing was one of the most classless things I’ve seen the board of a major club do.
But Setién has the right “philosophy “ I suppose. How many million passes did they do today?
What's that about firing? What happened?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's so talented though, it's a shame seeing him in such bad form.
Meh, he'll be fine. I'm just a bit annoyed by the amount of worship heaped on him by our media whilst some other guys get overlooked completely.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Btw, this was just one game away against a very good team(missing their beating heart and best player by miles, but let's just ignore this) in one of the toughest stadiums in Spain
Even the Real Madrid fan gets it *thumbs up*

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He's so talented though, it's a shame seeing him in such bad form.
It was one game. He’s literally had like 2 bad games all season at the most.

Today was by far his worst, but he’s being played much further up the pitch than he would like. He’s still easily performed as Barca’s best midfielder and comfortably top 3 player on the team this season.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I disagree with his take completely. FDJ has easily been our best midfielder this season. By a wide margin. Today was arguably his first game of the season where you could say he was crap.

He needs to be played as a 6, but for some reason Barca keeps forcing him to be more of a attacking midfielder which isn’t his role. He should be in Busquets position.

Fdj was a homerun signing and unlike Griezmann, Frankie can still flourish despite being played out of position. He might honestly be the least of my
Worries on this team after Messi and ter stegen.

I feel worse for Griezmann who has been played out of position all year.

Despite a bad performance today at least the new manager is aware of the problems and admits to them publicly. But it’s going to take time to fix thirst team and seeing as how CL and playing you lot happens in about a months time time isn’t on our side.

I do genuinely think we’ll be fine in the long run. But FDJ has been fantastic, Barca are just trying to force him to be much more of an attacking player than he actually is.
Maybe now without Suárez we will see a different version of Griezmann, but I think that if the season is not good (if you do not win the Champions) he will be one of the scapegoats.
What would you do in summer with Griezmann, Dembele and Coutinho? And who would you sign for the attack? Lautaro?

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Sieten will be fine
Based on what exactly?

This is going to be a disaster appointment to me. 10 days in or not, struggled against 10 men Granada, needed a 94th minute winner against team well down the divisions and could have lost 4-0 today.

Under Valverde was confident the league would have still been won and nothing else, not convinced the league will be won under this man.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Based on what exactly?

This is going to be a disaster appointment to me. 10 days in or not, struggled against 10 men Granada, needed a 94th minute winner against team well down the divisions and could have lost 4-0 today.

Under Valverde was confident the league would have still been won and nothing else, not convinced the league will be won under this man.
And what gave you confidence under Valverde? We would be getting outshot all the time under him, lacked an t semblance of identity and would fluke our way to some wins here or there.

Valverde always deflected criticism to, he had to have the worst responses to a loss ever. At least under Seiten he admits the issues the club has and isn’t blind to it.

We just played the most dire clasico of the decade under Valverde at home. Nothing changes under him. We just played a Valencia team who haven’t lost at home in NINE months. We are missing Suarez.

Under Valverde we would not have beaten Granada 4-0. We had 0-0 at home to salvia Prague FFS and unlike Granada we were fortunate it only ended up 0-0.

It would be foolish to write off a manager ten days in. He knows we shouldn’t be passing just for the sake of it. Valverde had to go, the league this season was absolutely not a sure thing under him. There wasn’t a single thing about Valverde that instilled any level of confidence.

The new manager has his work cut out for him but actually runs proper practices instead of the lazy ones with a million off days Valverde used to do. Our team is aging but our work rate and laziness shouldn’t be this bad.

Maybe Setien doesn’t work out, but I’m not ready to conclude that after just two games. We created a decent amount against Granada and should won 3-1. At least in today’s match we actually looked really good for a spell their in the second half before Alba’s own goal killed our momentum.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
What makes you think he'll be a success ? His CV full of accolades or something else ?
And what accolades did Pep and Enrique have when they first took the job?! I’m not saying he’ll do as good as them but if a mid table coach like Valverde can get trophies than so can Setien if given the time.

He is inheriting a mess of a team, possibly the worst Barca team of the last ten years. It would be dumb to write him off after two games, one of which was against a team that hasn’t lost in 9 months at home (!)

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
@Daysleeper

Back to back titles under him?

As for this 9 month point you continue to make, Ajax won 3-0 there in October, yeah I know you meant in the league but Valencia are not this dominant force!

Getafe, Real, Leganes, Sociedad, Sevilla all took a draw there this season. Valencia had won 6/13 games at home this season, make it seem like they have home form like Liverpool!

Not fortunate against Granada? It was like 1 shot on target until the red card, did you fall asleep and miss them hitting the inside of the post?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
@Daysleeper

Back to back titles under him?

As for this 9 month point you continue to make, Ajax won 3-0 there in October, yeah I know you meant in the league but Valencia are not this dominant force!

Getafe, Real, Leganes, Sociedad, Sevilla all took a draw there this season. Valencia had won 6/13 games at home this season, make it seem like they have home form like Liverpool!

Not fortunate against Granada? It was like 1 shot on target until the red card, did you fall asleep and miss them hitting the inside of the post?
That’s why I said 3-1 for the Granada match in an earlier post. We were unlucky it was only 1-0.

Valverde won his league titles against one of the worst Madrid sides seen in years. He did well his first season for sure, but the second had a Madrid going through 3 managers.

Valverde doesn’t instill confidence in anything or anyone. Our mentality has always been awful under him. The football was dire (not that it’s been sparkling under the new manager but he deserves time).

We won the league because of Messi and a a Madrid and atletico side that were very poor. We had some of the most embarrassing losses in football history under Valverde. He 100% had to go. Nothing was changing under him, he was horrible at making adjustments.

This firing should’ve happened after the summer. I think when given time our football will improve under Setien. He understands we don’t create enough in the final third and lack penetration. We still managed 14 shots whereas under Valverde we were always being outshot by the opposition. This team needs to get over it’s allergy of being afraid to shoot.

van Hooijdonk

And what accolades did Pep and Enrique have when they first took the job?!
They were in their 30's and starting their managerial careers, not in their 60's and with zero trophies after 20 years of coaching. Notice the difference ?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
They were in their 30's and starting their managerial careers, not in their 60's and with zero trophies after 20 years of coaching. Notice the difference ?
Sure, but they also inherited some incredible teams when they started. Neither of them had teams as “bad” as Real Betis when they took over for top flight football.

Notice the difference? Give anyone Lionel Messi, and you’re bound to win something eventually.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The difference is one manager worked his way up the ladder and the other two were family. Luis Enrique did get knocked out by Bratislava and finished 7th in the league and then went to Celta and finished 9th. Definitely Barcelona-worthy appointment that.

Must be nice to have a Messi in his prime carve out a career for you. Setien is taking over a Barca side with much worse defense and midfield then Pep and Enrique had, a Messi that's older and doesn't really train 100% as no one is allowed to touch him, i.e. not an infallible squad. But hey, fire a manager that's the current champion, current league leaders and comfortably won his CL group and you'll unsettle the squad without a doubt. A 22 year old Barcelona newb is suddenly going to feel invigorated by that change?

As for the match it was a total shitshow from Barca. Such a bad game and were lucky to not lose 3-4 nill. If you're a United and a Barca fan you'd have had clear your eyes to make sure you had La Liga on and the the PL.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Arthur, De Jong and Busquets :boring::boring::boring::boring:

What a boring and non-incisive midfield.
Yeah, they need to play two of them and a more advanced CM who will contribute in attack as the 3rd man. If I was a Barca fan, I'd want to see a Pogba/L.Alberto type next to De Jong and Arthur.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why is Frenkie de Jong waiting for balls in the box? I mean, he played a rubbish match, but even on form, why is he even standing there, surely the coach didn't tell him, go on mate get in the box and wait for crosses to fall in your direction so you can indicisively fumble about since you're not an attacker?

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Frenkie De Jong has a problem with the system of play at Barcelona.. Earlier somebody said he needs to play as a solo number 6 but thats false.. De Jong's best position is in double pivot in 4231 system :smirk:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
That's the opposite of Sarri :confused:
Sarri was very stubborn in his stint as a Chelsea manager. His insistence of playing Jorginho as a solo number 6 leaved the team very exposed to counter attacks because the player was not adjusted himself to the league and the pace..Also he misused Kante playing him out of his best position. Here is what Cesc Fabregas has to say about his former manager:

"He is very superstitious, he is very stubborn in this way.
"He is a manager with his own ideas and he doesn't move from them much.
"He has an idea of how he wants to play and the football that he really wants to play. He doesn't move from it. No matter what you tell him, no matter what you advise him, no matter what your opinion is, he will never change.
"But he did it the way he likes it. He has his own vision of football and, in the end, he is where he is with it and you have to respect that."

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sarri was very stubborn in his stint as a Chelsea manager. His insistence of playing Jorginho as a solo number 6 leaved the team very exposed to counter attacks because the player was not adjusted himself to the league and the pace..
Jorginho is at his best as the pivot. Also his other midfielders were Kante and Kovacic

Also not true that they were exposed to counterattacks because of jorginho, they were exposed when their press was out of whack, which was often down to the attackers doing whatever they wanted

Also he misused Kante playing him out of his best position.
He used Kante in the same way Conte did, and Ranieri did, and Lampard is doing

Here is what Cesc Fabregas has to say about his former manager:
Yes, he wants to play broadly in a certain way and wants his team to adapt to it. He's also smart enough to adapt his own ideas to the players and get them to play his football in a way they can do it effectively

His empoli, napoli, chelsea and juventus sides play nothing alike, except for the emphasis on pressing and possession

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Atletico Madrid 0-0 at half time at home to the bottom club.

So so painful yet not surprising. This is what they do.

Zoo

The end of this Atleti game is hilarious. Sending off Cuellar for time wasting when all he had to do was add on more seconds.

Bole Top

if I owned a football club, I'd never appoint Someone. it doesn't even matter how much money Atletico spend, they simply can't play football with him. I seriously doubt he'll ever manage another "big" club after Atletico and most traditional big clubs wouldn't want him anyway.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Atletico been broken by the super cup penalties defeat. Woeful since.

Barcelona in transition, Messi going soon, some poor value big money transfers.

They made a big mistake keeping Valverde this season in first place, then panic replacing him make it even worse.

Setién won't succeed because doesn't have Xavi and Iniesta to play the style he wants. Living in the past.

RM surely big title favourites now. All coming up roses for Zidane again.

JoaquinJoaquin

if I owned a football club, I'd never appoint Someone. it doesn't even matter how much money Atletico spend, they simply can't play football with him. I seriously doubt he'll ever manage another "big" club after Atletico and most traditional big clubs wouldn't want him anyway.
He will easily walk into another job. His cycle with Atletico has pretty much ended, but he was absolutely fantastic in the first 2-3 years.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
He will easily walk into another job. His cycle with Atletico has pretty much ended, but he was absolutely fantastic in the first 2-3 years.
+
His shortcomings are pretty obvious and at the same he is victim of his own incredible success. Atletico went through an awful spell after the title in 95/96 including relegation. The consistency of the team under Simeone can't and shouldnt be taken for granted. He established them as #3 in Spain, at least a level ahead of any other team bar Real/Barca. That can easily reverse in 2-3 seasons with the wrong manager.